Nintendo Download: 25th April 2013 (North America)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Free Rayman, Mega Man, a colourful commando and more

It's that time, Nintendo Download fans in North America, when you can cast your gaze over the downloadable treats coming your way. After last week's somewhat epic list, this week we have a much smaller range of options to chew over. One of them is a free part of a rather awesome looking Wii U platformer, while we have retro goodies on 3DS and Wii alongside the latest DSiWare offering from Goodbye Galaxy Games. Without further ado, let's get to it.

Wii U eShop

Rayman Legends Challenges App (Ubisoft, free) — The most substantial part of operation Legends Damage Limitation, as we like to pretend it's called, is this online challenge mode that gives you the chance to tackle a variety of levels and battle your way up leaderboards, either in co-op or single player. There'll be daily and weekly challenges to take on until the full game launches later this year; we're downloading now so that we can share our thoughts, and if you want more details you should have a read of our interview with Rayman Legends Lead Game Designer Emile Morel.

3DS eShop

Crazy Construction (G-STYLE, $4.99) — It's construction that's crazy, or to be more precise it's an action puzzle game with Tetris-style inspirations and some dependable physics mechanics. It's fairly unconventional and wacky, which we rather like; check out our Crazy Construction review for full details.

3DS Virtual Console

Mega Man 4 (Capcom, $4.99) — The roll-out of Capcom's classic NES Mega Man titles continues this week with the fourth entry, and perhaps one that gets aficionados of the series into some of their fiercest debates. It continues on in some respects from the widely-loved second and third entries, but some — including us in our Wii Virtual Console Mega Man 4 review — feel that it doesn't quite hit the expected heights. We'll give it another blast for a 3DS VC review soon.

DSiWare

Color Commando (Goodbye Galaxy Games, 200 Nintendo Points) — Likely to be Goodbye Galaxy Games' final DSiWare title before moving onto newer systems, this was conceived as a fun idea over a quiet weekend. A puzzle-platformer, you find paints of various colours and shoot blobs into strategic areas, stopping enemies of matching colours so that you can progress. This arrives at a budget price point, and we'll see whether it's painting a pretty picture in our upcoming review.

Wii Virtual Console

Sengoku (D4 Enterprise, 900 Nintendo Points) — More Neo Geo goodness for Wii owners, this time of the side-scrolling hack-and-slash variety. In this title you can switch characters on the fly, including those that you release from captivity as you're beating down countless enemies; we're delighted to pass on the fact that one of these characters is a "ninja dog". Bizarrely, its sequel is already available, which we enjoyed a reasonable amount in our Sengoku 2 review. Naturally we'll get brawling to let you know whether the first title lives up to scrutiny in a review, to be punching onto your screens soon.

So there you have it — freebies, newbies and oldies to choose from. Let us know your download plans in the poll and comments below, if you want to.

What will you be downloading first this week? (329 votes)

Rayman Legends Challenges App (Wii U eShop)

56%

Crazy Construction (3DS eShop)

Mega Man 4 (3DS Virtual Console)

13%

Color Commando (DSiWare)

Sengoku (Wii Virtual Console)

Nothing for me this week

27%

Please login to vote in this poll.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@Wiidsguy Not mentioned, so we'll have to hope for a separate special announcement on that IF it's still coming this week.

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

Was it this week or next week the patch was supposed to be out? Also free = for me.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

VC videos were added to the eShop, so it shouldn't be too long now. :)

Rayman's gonna be awesome!

Harrison_Peter

Harrison_Peter said:

I wish the 3DS got SNES VC content. They obviously focus on bring back classic handheld games, but they do NES games.

HeroOfCybertron

HeroOfCybertron said:

I wonder happened to Harvest Moon GBC I even remember reading about Natsume saying Harvest Moon GBC would be out in April.

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

Man, I wish I was home, I want that Rayman demo now! Guess I'll just get it when I get back next week...

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

Mega Man 4 is a instant buy for me this week. All I have left to do is wait for The Legend Of Zelda: Oracle Of Seasons & The Legend Of Zelda: Oracle Of Ages for 5/30/2013 and I'm happy.

@ThomasBW84

I wouldn't worry too much about the Wii U VC line-up of games that's supposed to show up in the Wii U eShop anytime soon. I mean, if Nintendo is smart, then they will probably put out Wii U VC games in the Wii U eShop either today or tomorrow. Or it can be a Sunday release. Who knows these days tbh with this company. :/

Danieats

Danieats said:

I gotta be honest I'm not a fan of the Wiiu vc I really don't see why there is borders on the wii u v console and not on the wii hd or not they Bering very lazy for asking for the money again

Joshers744

Joshers744 said:

Rayman download, of course!
I wish I was a MegaMan fan but the one time I played a demo, the lack of shooting upwards really frustrated me.
I wonder if they will hold off the little bit of Wii U VC we are supposed to be getting for another week for some untold reason.

Burning_Spear

Burning_Spear said:

@HeroOfCybertron and @Ralizah Harvest Moon GBC has been delayed until an undetermined date in May, according to a Natsume employee's posting on the Natsume.com forum. It has been delayed by Nintendo, not Natsume, which delivered the game to Nintendo last fall.

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

And to those wondering about the Wii U VC, according to Emily Rogers, there's supposed to be a system update today and the VC on Friday.

Well, at least maintenance today anyway. We'll see what happens!

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

Assuming its the same Stateside, but considering it Thursday and its extremely rare for something like VC to be released over the Weekend I'm beginning to think there's been a tech glitch with the System Update.

I would of expected the update to arrive Wednesday, ready for the eStore releases on thursday which would of included WiiU VC titles.

Possibly WiiU VC could be launched Friday, so as not to take anything away from the new eStore content but that would mean the system update hitting today. Considering it now gone 2pm local GMT that seems unlikely.

Expect a Delay announcment shortly imo... Although hope I'm wrong.

R-Moss

R-Moss said:

Nothing for me.
But, if only Crazy Construction was more cheaper...

Anything from Ubisot? No, thank you. Even free stuff. Again, no, thank you.

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

@divinealpha For EU that maintenance don't start till 1am GMT the 26th.
If thats to implement the system update and VC, the update will roll-out tomorrow with the VC out on Monday unless Nintendo go against the norm and release VC on a Saturday. For EU anyway, maybe The US will just about scrape through to get VC tomorrow and Update later today after maintenance.

eStore has updated here, Just Rayman challenge and Injustice, not even that Panorama View app, but not sure if that was due for release or not tbh. Thought it was though.

biglittlejake

biglittlejake said:

So what happened to the update? Are we going to end up waiting till the trial campaign to end for the virtual console?

Blizzaga

Blizzaga said:

I've been checking the eShop and I'm not seeing the Rayman Challenge download anywhere...

slidecage

slidecage said:

was hoping Denpamen 2: Beyond the Waves thread would came out early

i doubt it even hits next week

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

@divinelpha yeh the following day after the update.
If US get update thur - VC friday
If EU get update Fri - VC Saturday, but as usually things liks systems update, eStore updates, VC don't update over the weekend that could push EU VC to Monday.

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

I will download the free rayman app, but i still wont get the full game. Like i've said, i'm not boycotting it because of delay... I just cant afford to buy it in september due to there being so many games releasing around that time that i'd rather play (pikmin 3, mario & luigi 4, wind waker hd, watch dogs, pokemon x and y, link to the past 2, and likely new mario and mario kart games). My wallet could have afforded it in february, but no way i can buy it in sept. I'll end up getting it in a year or so when its in the bargain bin for $20 like i did with its predecessor.

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

I lied on the vote kinda. It wasn't updated yet so I just downloaded Tori Tori. Rayman will be the first from this week though.

Zach777

Zach777 said:

No Harvest Moon GBC again?!?! Honestly, Nintendo needs to fire everyone involved with the eShop and hire some people who are all about getting r done!!!!

the-daddy

the-daddy said:

so is the uk getting this update and rayman or just the yanks.if so when do we get it

WhiteTrashGuy

WhiteTrashGuy said:

I'm one of those gamers that loves MM4 (Pharoh Man FTW!) so I've been waiting for that one, but I still have not picked up LIBERATION MAIDEN or CRIMSON SHROUD...... better get those first.

Mulder1617

Mulder1617 said:

Once again the Big N let's me down. :( No Wii U VC. I was really looking forward to that today. Well, at least we still get Rayman!! :)

Selene

Selene said:

Bought my first eshop games in about 6 months the other day; lost levels and gradius. Was so looking forward to Harvest Moon :-( Maybe I'll try colors 3D instead. Would spend a fortune on so many VC games Nintendo's choosing to hold back.

Mike1

Mike1 said:

Can we get some games that weren't already released on the Wii VC years ago?

gojiguy

gojiguy said:

Wait a second... Sengoku wasn't out on VC already?

I find this VERY hard to believe... Damn.

Well now all that's left is Sengoku 3!

HugoSmits

HugoSmits said:

Hey guys, it's me.. just wanted to say that Color Commando is indeed only 200 points! that's a fact! so.. anybody who has a few points left on their account; go and buy it! thanks!

wanderjunior

wanderjunior said:

petiton for fallout 4 on wii u

arrmixer

arrmixer said:

Will get Rayman challenge mode for sure... But was hoping for some super Mario world action on the gamepad ...

123akis

123akis said:

@ThomasBW84 nintendo are taking ages to release the update! do you think it will come at 5pm today (uk time) because thats the time US eshop updates go live so maybe the update is releasing same time globally

Hordak

Hordak said:

I've been waiting for Sengoku for years!!! I used to play this game in arcades as a kid. I'm sure it won't be that great to me now, but it's worth the $9 in nostalgia alone.

HeatBombastic

HeatBombastic said:

Early Megaman games suck, so I'll get something else. Even if it has "good level design" the gameplay is horrible. I only play it for the retro feel, and when I want to go an hour without blinking.

MeddlingIdiotStaff

MeddlingIdiot said:

The Rayman challange app is WAY better than I was expecting! Ubisoft may well of won me over.

Hunter-D

Hunter-D said:

Woops, sorry people. I accidentally voted (MM4) even though I'm not in NA, totally forgot.

Karakato

Karakato said:

Looks like ATV Wild Ride got a $2 discount, guess I may give this game a go then.

SMW

SMW said:

Wait. We are all waiting for Wii U VC and the Wii VC gets a game?! Also, Friday for the VC? Nintendo's such a tease. I've been hopeful all week.

Hold on. Rayman?! :D

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Hm...I wonder if they had a setback with the Wii U VC and the update. I would have thought they'd come today. Guess this wouldn't be the first time.

elixxur

elixxur said:

IMO MM4 is the third best of the series. 2 and 3 and 4 are my faves. I remember playing this as a kid the day it came out, I forced myself to remember the Crossack code since I didn't have a pen and paper. I'm almost 32yrs old now and I still know the code.
A14
B5
E2
F13

Crazy how our brains never forget the important video game stuff :P

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

I thought HM GBC was coming end of April?? Ah well, not like I have the money or the space for it.

Pit_96

Pit_96 said:

Rayman beautiful, they did a great job with the gamepad, with all that he has done the same Ubisoft will buy the game because the development team deserves.

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

Hell yeah the 3DS VC returns with a vengeance! Mega Man 4 for sure:) I'm grabbing ATV Wild Ride 3D as I'm a sucker for discounts:) I can't wait for Mega Man 5 due out on 5/16! Anybody hear when in June Mega Man 6 will be out for the US?

Windy

Windy said:

@KnightRider666 Join us on ATV wild ride on Friday nights at 7pm we get in about 25 races every Friday. You can catch us in the forums in the online section. The game is really good online and well worth 5.99. Hope to see you on fridays

Windy

Windy said:

I'm getting Color Commando if my system has space for 1 last DSiWare soft.

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

@Windy: Is that 7pm EST? I just grabbed Crazy Construction as well. If you like puzzle games, you have to check this out. I posted a video link on the review page. Also just grabbed Witch & Hero:)

Windy

Windy said:

7pm pacific time. Sometimes we start at 6pm. You don't have to race all night.some people do about 10 races then logout some race all night. Usually all games are full 4 racers. When you connect to my game be patient I give it an extra 2 or 3 minutes for others to join

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

@Windy: Okay, I'll definitely keep it in mind. I work overnights and should be awake by then. I have to get in some practice first:) Thanks for the invite. I can't seem to play DS games online because of the security type on my landlord's router. He uses WPA2. I called Nintendo and they told me DS games won't work online unless you use WEP, and it can't be a guest connection either. I wanted to play Tetris DS online, and download new maps for my Advance Wars Days Of Ruin.

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

If you're still mad at Ubisoft over the Rayman delay, you owe it to yourself to download the Challenges App. It's absolutely amazing.

Windy

Windy said:

@Wilford111 in the forum click on online. You will see the thread ATV Wild Ride Friday @ 7pm. That's us and its been a lot of fun since we started. Knuckles who races with us was ranked #1 last week. everyone is welcome. Let's make it a Nintendolife ATVfest on Fridays :) Get some practice.... I don't like to brag **cough cough*** but we're pretty damn good! Here hee. I recommend to just beat the game and open up the extra bikes and riders and you will be set for online play

Skeet102

Skeet102 said:

nothing really peaks my interest. maybe mega man 4. (P.S.did you know in the 3ds eshop,if you type in megaman, no answers come up. but if you type mega man, it gives you everything megaman. the eshop is very strict with spacing

RR529

RR529 said:

Nothing for me this week.

I don't have a Wii U.

Crazy Construction seems good, but I'm not a puzzle guy. Mega Man 4 looks good, but I don't do NES on 3DS.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Anybody remember the other systems on the Wii VC? Y'know like, Genesis, Turbografx-16, Vitual Console Arcade? Do those... still exist.... or is D4 Enterprises' support for NEOGEO games the ONLY VC support these days? 'Tendo? Any 3rd party? Anyone wanna pick up the VC slack and bring s'more VCA classics like Double Dragon Arcade (looking at you Aksys). Not knocking NEOGEO games, but some other VC games for once would be nice.

FyreeTSG

FyreeTSG said:

WHY in the hell do we still get Neo Geo games on Wii VC? WHY do we even get Wii VC games anymore anyways---who's still EAGER to DL the new release whenever we get them....and who REALLY wants the CRAP that Wii VC gets??
Who wants Neo Geo games outside of those few Wii owners who actually KNOW them from the early 90's arcades, or were part of the VERY small comparative fanbase....??

JebbyDeringer

JebbyDeringer said:

@FyreeTSG Better than nothing though I guess you are thinking of it as that they could be spending their time on more important things. Really though they probably have a big back log of approved games and their neogeo emulation is probably good enough that many of these games just work right away though I'm sure they must spend a bunch of time testing for bugs.

hcfwesker

hcfwesker said:

Update is finally available. didn't get a notification for it, but when trying to access eShop it popped up to update.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

I got SMB last summer, when it, I believe, was on sale. If I get any other Nes games on my 3DS, they will be TLoZ, & MM3. Other than that, I've kinda learned my lesson from from my years of purchases from Wii VC, & I don't get games I have already. There are rare exceptions, though. So really, I am holding out for Mega Man 6, & content I don't already own/have played. I'm also waiting for Might Switch Force 2. In the interim, I might get NightSky, though I have to look more into that, as I got too many mixed signals about it from both the staff review here, & the members here.

Since I'm waiting on the above mentioned, my usual policy of getting things from my backlist wishlist every Thursday, or so, when nothing new that I want arrives on eShop, will be somewhat shadowed in priority.

Also, from what little I seen of Color Commando, it looks similar to Wrecking Crew.

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

I almost went with Mega Man 4 today, but I downloaded Zelda II instead. After finishing Mega Man 3 the other day, I just need a short break from the Blue Bomber.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

I'm finding it way too hard to appreciate playing NES games on the 3DS's tiny little screen, plus there's noticable motion blur. It just doesn't look or feel right, and having the tiny B & A buttons cramped at the bottom makes things even worse. Aside from the Ambassader NES freebies, I downloaded Castlevania, Mega Man 2, Metroid and Punch-Out!! and these will be the LAST. These Awesome games were ment to be played on a good old Tube Tv.

Anyways, nothing for me this week! I downloaded Kershloop!(Who would of thought diving down a Stereoscopic 3D well full of Pizza & doughnuts would of been so addicting?) and Bionic Commando. I never got around to playing the NES original, so this will be fresher than a brand spankin' new April O' Neil Banana yellow jump suit. B-)

GamerJunkie

GamerJunkie said:

Nintendo is focusing everything for the 3DS and not its console. They release 1-2 junk items for Wii U and then a bunch of great games on 3DS.

The 3DS is for little kids. No adult would be caught dead using one outside the house. We have phones and tablets already.......

Does Nintendo just want to be known as the company for little kids again? I thought this time they were aiming at real gamers? So far they are failing miserably.

Rayman good job, we will all play this free thing and most of us will not buy your game since its on every console now and months late. No way to fix something that broken. Its not even a good game in the 1st place, Rayman was always a mediocre series not that popular to make such a huge deal about.

ogo79

ogo79 said:

hmmm sengoku 1...
if i get this, i need to beat part 2, which had unbalanced characters...

Windy

Windy said:

@GamerJunkie So wrong. Sorry. The 3DS is my favorite system of all time. It takes over for my beloved PCEngine/Turbografx. i'm an older gamer and have a group of friends who also play 3DS in my age range and they love it and would be caught dead outside with their 3DS. What makes a system not for older people? Just wondering

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

@GamerJunkie: Are you kidding me? Screw tablets and smartphones! I wouldn't dream of owning either. The 3DS XL is the best in portable gaming hands down. It's not just for kids, it's for everybody.