Play: Mario Kart 7 with Nintendo Life - Today!

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Start your engines

Once upon a time Nintendo Life set up Communities in Mario Kart 7, and these rooms were full of happy 3DS owners enjoying some online races. The passage of time was cruel, however, and the official community room became almost empty, with just a few stalwarts keeping it going and some keen racers meeting up via the forums.

We've decided, however, that playing together is fun and that the NL community should indulge in activities such as throwing shells at each other, howling in frustration at blue shells and turning the air blue when spinning off a well-placed banana. We want to bring the NL Mario Kart 7 community rooms back to life, starting today.

Today at 9pm UK time, 10pm Central European, 4pm Eastern US, 3pm Central US and 1pm Pacific US, the 'NLife All Items' community room will be back in action. Quite a few of the Nintendo Life staff will be in attendance at various times to race, and we're hoping you'll join us. If you want to know how to get to the Community room, check out our official and oh-so-serious guidelines below.

In order to get started with some Mario Kart 7 awesomeness with fellow Nintendo Lifers, simply open the game, select Online Multiplayer and then Communities. If you've played with us before you may have 'NLife All Items' in your list of favourites. If not, select Enter Code and input 00-2104-5343-9763. This is a 150cc all items room, so it may get chaotic.

Now, it's common to experience connection problems with Mario Kart 7 communities, and if you don't then we can only imagine that you're hard-wired directly into Nintendo's servers. If you do have problems connecting or receive an error message, make sure your wireless is on and position yourself as close as possible to your internet router. Please be patient and keep trying, because more often than not you will eventually get in.

There may be more than one room open at once, so remember the basic rules. Play nice, and if someone annoys you settle it like grown-ups... out on the track. Please be considerate to others in the lobby area, and only start the race when there are enough racers and everyone's ready.

We hope you'll join us for some Mario Kart mayhem tonight; we'll be checking the comments below, tweeting extensively on our Twitter page and getting up to all sorts of shenanigans in the game itself. See you on the track.

BenAV

BenAV said:

Oh sweet, will maybe have to try to get on if I'm not sleeping.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Dang I would love to do that but at my time 1PM (PST) I wil bel at work. :(

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

There may be time-zone issues for some, which we appreciate. This is like a trial run, we'll see how things go and try and accommodate even more people if we do it again :)

Samholy

Samholy said:

i...i dont have mario kart yet :-/
I wish i could but... my gaming budget is already depleted for a month

anyway, i didnt really liked any mario kart handheld. console karting is the real thing.i must admit the 3ds one looks quite fun... augh i want it !

Fudge

Fudge said:

I'll be there, BTW lets just say I'm back from a very long time ago

3Dkid

3Dkid said:

Cool. But I might not be able make it. If you guys do see me, however, GET READY 2B LEFT IN THE DUST!

Scollurio

Scollurio said:

Would be awesome if you could do it regulary, like 2 days a month, that way it would breath some life back into the community and people (like me) would be there dishing out blue shells even during normal work-week! ;)

Marks

Marks said:

Hopefully I can play. I haven't touched my Mario Kart recently, I'll probably be a little rusty. (Not that I was a good player in the first place!)

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Sweet! What perfect timing, I just got MK7 for my bday today :D But waking up at 6am on a Sunday? Good luck to me, I'll try to be there :p

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

I've been playing nsmb2 the past few days, but I may be able to check in late nite eastern time (10 pm ish) if people are still playing.

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

I'll try and get on. What Mii do you want me to play as? Waluigi, Diddy Kong, Oogtar, Scott Pilgrim, or Kim Pine

MetalMario

MetalMario said:

Oh and by the way, I think you guys will know who I am if I get in. (I have connection issues for this game, but I'll try to get in)

BenAV

BenAV said:

Small world.
Someone sent me a personal message through StreetPass saying they knew me from Nintendo Life but I don't know who it was. D:

idork99

idork99 said:

@Scollurio #26 You can count me in on that plan! That would be great if we could meet up twice a month. Perhaps every other Friday from here on out!

@SRArter #35 Scott Pilgrim! That way you can say that you chose Scott Pilgrim vs The World. Lol!

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

I haven't raced in a few months, so I may be a little rusty, but I'll be sure to pop in for at least a few races.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

I see some of you have started early in the community room, cheeky scamps! It doesn't get REAL for another 40 minutes...

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

Well I am practicing in the meantime. I had forgotten to get a boost start D:
Also, the only downside so far is that I've raced SNES RR like 100 times now :(

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@Grodus It may be an idea for another time, absolutely, but we're seeing how this goes first (ie, how many people are interested). Considering that there are now five groups running before it's actually started (though the community room's there 24/7, of course), then we may indeed branch out to different rooms, weapons, battles etc if we do this again :)

HP_3

HP_3 said:

I just raced with 2 guys on here. It was fun! First time I played MK7 with my 3DSXL, it was more comfortable to me. I wish I could play some more today, but I have to go to work.

BenAV

BenAV said:

Great racing to you too.
You totally would have had me a couple of times there if it wasn't for my good fortune. :P

JamieOStaff

JamieO said:

I will be there at 9pm, I have played local multiplayer Mario Kart 7, but this will be the first time that I have raced online.

If you see me online my name is JamieO (surprisingly enough). If you pass me on the race track, my Mii has brown spiky hair and a light green shirt. I will be driving a 'Soda Jet' kart, normal wheels and flying with a 'Swoop' glider.

Have fun everyone!

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Oh COME ON! I'm free all day and 4pm (5 minutes from now) is the exact time I'm leaving to head to school! Arrrrrggggghhh.

MetalMario

MetalMario said:

I'm getting tons of lag, as I expected, but at least it's allowing me to finish races.

Wintendo

Wintendo said:

Hmm... I was racing as a shyguy, but now I'm my Mii :D This is fun! Sparked my interest in my 3DS again :P

Wintendo

Wintendo said:

Hmm, I seem to have better luck as Shy guy. Maybe my Mii Ben isn't very good at driving lol

NorthLightSuplx

NorthLightSuplx said:

Man I am stuck at work. i do not usually game until 9:00 p.m. CST. on Friday nights but I would like to race some of my fellow NL forum members.

zipmonStaff

zipmon said:

Hey this is a blast!! =D Also, NintendoLife readers are awesome at Mario Kart.

Marakuto

Marakuto said:

I keep getting to last place, then when it comes to the end I end up being 1 - 4 place.

BenAV

BenAV said:

@NinRyan Aw, but Rosalina's Ice World is great. D:

On a side note, it's now 6:30am and my thumb is starting to feel squashed! D:

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

OUCH. For everyone that just witnessed that, I sincerely apologize. Cakes did not represent himself well on this day...

Wintendo

Wintendo said:

D: On Koopa Cape, I was in first, when all of a sudden I jump off the edge, like a noob xD

BenAV

BenAV said:

@zipmon Indeed I am.
Was about to go to bed at about 2 but then read about this so stayed up all night so I could join in. :P

Syntax

Syntax said:

Hey guys, I just created an account a while ago to join this awsome website, and I just wana say good luck cause 2nd place will be your new 1st place }:D

MDee14

MDee14 said:

This is a good test for the Nintendo Network. Great idea NL and good luck everyone. Also what are the NL staff names?

kitsune_01

kitsune_01 said:

Hey, great races guys! any body want to add me, here's my friend code:
2621 - 2774 - 7409

I've got RE: Revelations and Kid Icarus as well, so hit me up when ever you want!

Pupito

Pupito said:

I'm in! My last room dwindled down from all 3 star drivers. See you out there!

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Connection issues are always horrible with Mario Kart 7. I must have dc'ed on at least 5 occasions on the final race. Shame because I was doing very well. >:3

None the less I'm going to call it a day. Great fun guys, and good racing to all those who I played against. ;)

Syntax

Syntax said:

@Aldar thanks for not giving up when its just you and me cuz most racers rage quit just cause im too hard to beat so you deserved the last win. Keep karting!

Syntax

Syntax said:

I think i raced in the wrong room:-P anyway good luck to him and you guys, Im heading in now!

MetalMario

MetalMario said:

Ugh, I forgot my charger at my dorm, guess that was my last game. Can't wait to do this again!

JamieOStaff

JamieO said:

Unfortunately, my Internet connection was not up to the task.

I persisted for over an hour, but only got to race on two retro courses (SNES Rainbow Road and GCN Daisy Cruiser). Even then I only managed one lap on each course before getting the message "A communication error has occurred."

The rest of the time was spent hoping for a decent connection, followed by repeated errors.

It looks like I will have to wait until I meet up with the Nlife staff again for a decent sized group race, through a bit of local multiplayer.

Enjoy your racing time and "good luck" to all of you who are taking part in Nintendo Life's mass Mario Kart 7 race-athon.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Hey, everyone, I'm going to try to join! Look out for a mustached guy with the name Devin.

DrakeStaff

Drake said:

Surprisingly, because I haven't played since the game came out and I started the very first race tonight by accidentally driving into the same pit thrice in a row :p

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Would love to play, but busy tonight. I'll come back later and see if you're still going.

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

In GC Daisy Circiut, BenAV got a blue shell and snuck up to first without even using it and held on to it for the whole race and won!

I played as Scott Pilgrim last time, then I took a decent break, now I'll be playing as my Diddy Kong Mii and sometimes switching with Daisy while at it.

Emaan

Emaan said:

I hope this is still going on, because I want to beat all of you! >:0

BenAV

BenAV said:

@SRArter Haha, nothing more satisfying than getting to hit yourself with your own blue shell after crossing the line. :P

SpaceKappa

SpaceKappa said:

If you raced against a purple Mii named Joe from Massachusetts then you kicked my butt today. :D

Syntax

Syntax said:

Thanks for racing guys! Im going to eat and explore the site a bit, keep karting!

zipmonStaff

zipmon said:

Just had an awesome set with @ThomasBW84, "Nicky", and "Ian" - great racing with all of you!! =D I'm giving my thumb a rest, but what a good time - thanks for all the races everybody!!

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

I'm off for a bit of rest now, but had a blast racing with everyone tonight. Enjoy the rest of your races! :D

idork99

idork99 said:

@ThomasBW84 You started this party and now you are leaving!? Lol. Thanks for the invite! We'll have to do this again soon! Great fun!!

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Well thats really my last race. Thanks to all those I played. That last win put me in third place on the leaderboards just in time for me leaving. :3

joeyman

joeyman said:

Hey everyone,
I've had lots of fun tonight. Just incase you wanted to know I was a Mii called joe.

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

After that horrific race on Rosalina's Ice World, I'm gonna call it a day. Good night everyone!

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

TruenoGT, BigDino, C-Olimar, ehoever you guys are, you are great challenges! Lots of fun racing with y'all!

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

That was fun! A couple of the races got pretty hectic. Thanks a lot for starting this!

Just as a reminder, I was playing as Wario on the purple pipe kart.

Nardar

Nardar said:

Thanks for the races everyone and thank you Nintendo Life for doing this!

idork99

idork99 said:

@BenAV Glad that you are up for more racing! Since it is morning the next day in your part of the world :) I better get you these next two races!!

BenAV

BenAV said:

Well that was a fail.
Got hit by a million red shells and blue shells and still had the win... but drove off the edge, haha.
I think I'm starting to get too tired for this. :P

Syntax

Syntax said:

I'm gona be online in a while, so here are some tricks u can do when u have a blue shell on u, 1. if in 1st and you see someone has the shell, let the racer behind pass u, but if the person knows try to stay in 2nd until the moment u hear the alarm in which the shell locks on to who ever was in 1st, 2. If u have a mushroom u can dodge the shell every time if u use it the moment the shell TILT before droping on u, if not then slip on a banana peel or fall off a ledge with the shell and use the recovery boost, 3. Stay near the launch and boost pad when about to get hit or for the boost pad dodge the blast the same as using a mushroom but I haven't tested that yet. Hope this helps u guys :D

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

I'm done for the night. I'll come back again later where I'll play as Miis of Waluigi, Oogtar, Meat Boy, Kim Pine, and more! I hope to even get in the Top 7 for at least a short time, maybe. I'm not playing tommorow though because I'm going to a amusment park.

BenAV

BenAV said:

@idork99 Well that time I slowed down a bit at the end to try to hit you with my green shell to push you down to third or fourth... didn't work. :P

BenAV

BenAV said:

@idork99 Great racing to you too.
I'd stay and play a bit more... but my thumb is starting to hurt pretty bad from holding down the A button too much, haha.

Syntax

Syntax said:

Rainbow road? That's just practicing a respawn glitch,only useful for landing on people's heads. lol

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

@Syntax

TBH with you, that was the first time I ever got lucky dodging a Blue Shell. Must have been some glitch with the game cause I didn't use no Mushrooms.

Syntax

Syntax said:

I would still be racing now, butt i have emergency to attend to. " rushing to nearby bathroom"

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

Internet at home is working fine again. So I'll play one more time tonight in about an hour or so, who do you want me to play as? Waluigi, Oogtar, Meat Boy, or Kim Pine

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

@NorthLightSuplx

No offense to you when I say this man, but from my point of view. It's me being careful with my items. I try to go for item defense most of the time. I'll admit at times, I tend to be a bit SPAM happy with the Red Shells. But only when I feel I have to.

Syntax

Syntax said:

I just finish for today, it was a pleasure to race you guys, keep being awsome members of nin life :-)

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

@Syntax

Before you go friend. Let me say, I enjoyed racing someone like you along with others earlier tonight. Keep up the DOMINANT WORK man! ;)

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

@Gridattack

I really wouldn't say that SNES Rainbow Road is unpredictable. It's all in the way of how most ppl get used to the track more than anyone who isn't too familiar with it is all.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

idk who 'sad' is, but please stop choosing 'start the race' immediately! we should wait to see if anyone tries to join before up and starting the race :(

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

same here, idork99. thanks for the races tonight, guys; hopefully next time that kid will quit with the annoying behavior :/

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

@Gridattack

Hey look, I'm not trying to start no fight over who's right and who's wrong about this. But I'm just saying based on past experiences, that this is the way how SNES Rainbow Road treats Mario Kart veterans and newcomers. True, items play a big part on that stage, but all in all when you look at it all in the end. That's what makes that course more enjoyable to race on. Heck, tbh with you, that is actually one of my TOP FAV. courses in the game alongside GCN Daisy Cruiser.

Jahir

Jahir said:

I know!!! And we were so close to the goal... I would've just kept on :D

btw I got disconnected, are you still playing? :(

Scollurio

Scollurio said:

This was the best time I ever had online in mk7! Thanks guys, it was fun recognising some of the names from this website! Too bad I mostly sucked, like bad luck is stalking me wherever I go..

Hej-san

Hej-san said:

This was my best online experience on my 3DS!!!!! Please do something like this again, it was very fun. Even though I lost every time.

Entei

Entei said:

I raced against corbie and managed to win 9/12 of my races. But then three 3 star racers joined my group so i ended up winning 9/24 of the races. It was a lot of fun. Thanks nintendolife!

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

I might try to get on soon if I can before I have to run out to do some food shopping.

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

@Syntax Thanks! But unfortunately I cant continue playing because i need some things to do.. :( Maybe later, but dunno if people will still be playing.

Anyway great racing from your part ^^

Syntax

Syntax said:

Remember this is Mario kart, a racing simulations that defies the laws of logic, so u got to expect and prepare for the unexpected when dealing with items, or join a no items community -_-

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

i have no problem with items but holding them back till the finish line is just rude
edit : it was 1 on 1

Syntax

Syntax said:

Do the same, there no rules to hold u back, so unleash ur inner speed demon and take those victories u deserved ;-)

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

@PinkSpider

You're probably looking at it in the way where some ppl hold their items like say Triple Mushrooms for example and use them right near the end of the race when they're practically right behind you. Others like myself just use and hold items for item defense to get victories.

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

Yeah thats fine and yes that was exactly what happened triple mushrooms held until the last corner

HP_3

HP_3 said:

@pinkspider I had a gold mushroom, but I thought at least one of the red shells would catch me. Good racing guys, I'll check back sometime to race some more with yall.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

Can there be another race next friday ?

I was out all friday & didn't get a chance to catch up on the race til late at night.

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

JuanitoShet

JuanitoShet said:

Well, this blows. I just joined the Community and there wasn't anyone on. So much for a revitalization, eh?

DePapier

DePapier said:

Damn, I would have taught you guys why I be getting them free games winning competitions over there in Paris... (FC: 4468 - 2063 - 9396)