Sakurai: Next Smash Bros. "May Take a While"

Posted by James Newton

Who knew?

Super Smash Bros. helmsman Masahiro Sakurai has told Nintendo Power (via Nintendo Everything) that the next instalments are a long way off yet.

Satoru Iwata announced Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS at E3 last year, but with Kid Icarus: Uprising on Sakurai's plate it seems development on the fighting game hasn't even started yet:

I can’t really say anything until things settle down with Kid Icarus… And a lot of it will depend on the team that I end up assembling for Smash Bros. It may take a while, but I think that your patience will be rewarded.

Prepare to have your patience tested, but ultimately rewarded. Hopefully.

[via nintendoeverything.com]

Late

Late said:

Hasn't this been said many times before? I thought everyone knows this or is it just a reminder?

AbuJaffer

AbuJaffer said:

Who would have guessed? Remembering how long it took Brawl to come out (over a year), I'm not surprised... this time I'll try not to care about its release date so it'll just... COME UP on me... it worked for Skyward Sword but if they're going to launch another Smash Dojo then I know there's no way in hell I'll be able to simply "not care" about this game...

LeasTwanteD

LeasTwanteD said:

Never mind smashing people's excessive expectations, Sakurai. You've got a good reason.
At least there'll be no excuses if KI: Uprising doesn't turn out as good as we hoped. :P

DiggerandIndy

DiggerandIndy said:

Pfft. I'm not surprised to be honest. I wonder if Sakurai is getting sick of making Smash Bros.

erv

erv said:

As long as it has dynamic content updated through the new supposed online awesomeness. New characters, stages - they could all just come over time, keeping the game fresh and the character roster varied and exciting. We'd all be playing like mad if that were to happen!

BalrogtheMaster

BalrogtheMaster said:

My best guess would be somewhere in 2014. Please don't rush out the game, Sakurai! cough cough Mario Kart cough cough

joevox316

joevox316 said:

Oh gee you guys are all real clever aren't you? Chill out. Sakurai relayed this to the press yesterday and James is just reporting on it like he should.

I'm fine with Sakurai taking as long as he wants. Iwata kind of sprung this on him, which if I remember correctly he wasn't terribly pleased about. He wanted to do Kid Icarus to take a break from Smash Bros...and it keeps pulling him back in! :)

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

It's cool Sakurai, take all the time you need I say. This news shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, and the fact that he still hasn't started leads me to believe we definately won't be seeing anything about this game at E3 this year. It shouldn't be that big of a deal, assuming Nintendo has plenty of other Wii U software to release in the meantime.

CerealKiller062

CerealKiller062 said:

I remember when Sakurai said that he wished Brawl to be his last Super Smash Bros. As any other game would just be an expansion and he wished not to destroy what the franchise was about. Whatever he meant by that, I am glad that he has decided to work on the new Super Smash Bros.

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

I'm not surprised either. Considering that the first Brawl trailer was in 2006 and the game didn't come out until 2008 leaves me to guess that (especially since they haven't even started yet) it won't come about till 2014-15. And we'll be REALLY lucky to have any sort of mention (let alone trailer) of Smash Bros. in this years E3.

ArmoredGoomba

ArmoredGoomba said:

late 2014 (optimistically) 2015 confirmed.

No chance of a 2013 launch, that's a dev cycle of like 1.5 years. No where near enough to make a brand new Smash bros much less two versions

Pikachupwnage

Pikachupwnage said:

My prediction

We will get a tiny little teaser at E3 2012
an trailer in E3 2013 and a release window of early 2014
then it will get delayed a bunch of times and end up late 2014 or sometime in 2015

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

as long as nintendo produce and release more games for the wii U and 3DS, i'd be happy to wait.

Ryno

Ryno said:

Glad to hear it, don't waste you time on another Smash Bros. game. There are plenty of other great Nintendo franchises that could use some love.

Malkeor

Malkeor said:

He's gonna make it in flash so it should be here soon, it's just a bluff.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

No surprise here, his comment has been in the latest Nintendo Power for quite a while now. Still, who can honestly be surprised that it will take a while for the next Smash Bros? Even if it does take a while, that will only mean that Sakurai and whatever team he will put up will devote a lot of effort to make what should be a masterpiece.

One thing's for sure; it will be very hard to top Brawl. It simply has to perform above and beyond even Brawl's epicness and be nothing short of stellar. Sakurai will have a lot on his plate, but I have no doubt he will eat it all up. Smash Bros. in 3D and HD will be awe-inspiring. All I would really want would be a wonderful adventure mode, improved online, and just as much or even more content than Brawl. Oh, and plenty of amazing music of course. A few more characters would be fine, but please don't go overboard with third-party ones.

I predict there will be a teaser trailer for Smash Bros. 4 at this year's E3. This can be supported historically. Iwata announced Brawl at E3 2005 and Sakurai was taken off guard just like at E3 2011. Brawl's teaser trailer came at E3 2006 and a release date was annouced at E3 2007. However, it got delayed twice, to Febuary and finally to March. If Smash Bros. 4 is the same way, it will be released in 2014 at the earliest.

Randomname19

Randomname19 said:

I'm fine with it as long as Wii U will let me play Brawl on a REALLY GOOD
wi-fi (something I can't do at all on Wii 'cause it won't let me find opponents).I'm always stuck in the lobby no matter how hard I try to set the router and the Wii.

EvisceratorX

EvisceratorX said:

Why does this game HAVE to be made by Sakurai? There's plenty of talented people over at Nintendo. Why don't they put someone else on it?

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

If Nintendo gives Sakurai a big team to work with- albeit, a team he can actually work with, it may come out sooner. For some reason, Nintendo doesn't give him a big team.. :/

I'd say 2013-2014...

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Old news, but a Smash that won't launch with a Nintendo system of 3 straight systems. I'm still waiting to see what will be Nintendo's flagship system seller for the WiiU.

mushroomer

mushroomer said:

Allowing us to create our own characters (using miis etc) or inventing our own combination of special attacks (yoyos etc)and then being able to fight online with them against each other.. that would be cool

Nintenderp

Nintenderp said:

I know the game is still a long ways off but I'm curious to see how they'll implement the WiiU controller.

Punny

Punny said:

Take as long as possible! Just make it a great game (which I'm sure it will be).

Noire

Noire said:

Sakurai: Next Smash Bros. "May Include Mario As a Playable Character"

SomeBitTripFan

SomeBitTripFan said:

I liked the Third Party characters. It most likely improved sales and allowed new abilities (we could have had more Fox clones). I'd love to see CommanderVideo or Quote make an appearance to represent an indie-dev.
@Kevin: I agree!

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

More third party characters: Sonic and Snake back to Smash bros. and the new characters: Megaman, Pacman, Travis Touchdown and one of Ubisoft (Rayman, Prince of Persia or Splinter Cell)

MrArkade

MrArkade said:

Lol yes I hope Mario is in it. Not alot of chance of that happening but I can hope.

Raghav

Raghav said:

I already have it for wii and when it comes out for 3ds i am so getting it

Raghav

Raghav said:

I already have it for wii and when it comes out for 3ds i am so getting it

BenAV

BenAV said:

For some reason I'm not really even too excited.
Sure, I've really enjoyed all the previous Smash Bros. games and will definitely purchase any new instalments on day one, but I expect it to mostly be more of the same and if I'm that desperate then I can just go back and play Brawl for the time being.

I was pretty excited for Brawl and before I could play it I had to send off my Wii because it couldn't read the disc, so I played Melee on my GameCube while waiting, and when I finally got to play it, it was a little underwhelming due to how similar it was to the game I'd been playing for a week while waiting for my Wii back.

All that being said, having it on a handheld system will be pretty sweet... Oh, and I can't wait for Kid Icarus.

This post turned out longer than I anticipated, sorry. :P

Progamer

Progamer said:

Its actually coming out December of 2012. By the way, add me on your 3ds Ninty Fan. I need your friend code too.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

@Coldwater: Sorry, I'm at a place with no good 3DS online, so you'll have to wait for Thursday evening or Friday.

Thinking about Smash Bros. 4 again, I wonder if they would have the characters during the cutscenes be silent like in Brawl or perhaps add voices? The Subspace Emissary cutscenes worked like a charm even without voice acting, but since Project Sora will be behind this instead of HAL Laboratory, I wonder if they will try to bring it in.

VincentV

VincentV said:

My guess:

• E3 2012: concept art, a basic screenshot, and some core announcements about ideas for the game.
  • Late 2012: A 15 second video. Some more news.
  • E3 2013: A demo. More trailers. More news.
  • Late 2013: Release in 1-2 months.
Knuckles

Knuckles said:

I just want this game to be developed already, and with characters like mega man knuckles shadow(playable). Also allow the 3DS to be used as a wii u controller in smash 4, and a better online, but please just do it better than brawl( if he can top that then he is the second greatest game creator ever, first being miyamoto (sorry if misspelled)) who am i kidding he is a gaming lord

DashChargedShot

DashChargedShot said:

So... Lemme get this straight... What consoles are the next Smash Bros coming out on? Wii U? 3DS? Both? It would be cool if it was both, HD on Wii U, 3D on the 3DS.

DashChargedShot

DashChargedShot said:

Wait... Idea... Based on someone else's comment... Online play! I haven't played much Brawl yet... If I'm being a Noob right now... But online multiplayer on the 3DS... That'd be awesome...

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Fix. The. Online. Really, if the online will be both superior/stable enough to Brawl's, then that is a very good start, when they do begin. 2cdly, like I just tonight said on the article about the Maka Wahu glitch in MK7, Nintendo should include, or rather, set aside, on the 3DS game card a good amount of blank space for patches, & to a lesser extent dlc.

They need to also make the online extremely flexible, so lag is not common.

benjamines

benjamines said:

All I want is more F-Zero stuff. Captain Falcon has been in every SSB game, yet no other F-Zero characters have been playable. Come on, Nintendo!

JimLad

JimLad said:

Well they don't really have any new new characters to add since Nintendo haven't come up with any new character based franchises since Pikmin. :/
If they could just fix online, I'd buy it.

LeasTwanteD

LeasTwanteD said:

Love all the character ideas here. I have to add two genius ideas mentioned in other News articles. Nikki and Mallo as assisting characters would be amazing.
@mushroomer (40.): Such an awesome idea being able to play as your Mii. If included i hope that they let you change the pitch of your Mii's voice though. (Unlike in MK7 where i can't really stand it.)

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

add characters from lesser known nintendo games and franchises and maybe 1 or 2 more 3rd party characters, as well as option to play as your mii, and you're set.

SEIJIEN

SEIJIEN said:

It's not like this was unexpected. I mean, is it just me, or did they resort to making this game just for better sales for the 3DS? I'm in no way complaining, but it would seem like a last resort.

Dodger

Dodger said:

Of course. I jumped out of my chair when they announced SSB3D but once I had calmed down (and read interviews), I figured it probably wouldn't be out for a while. If one version gets scrapped then sadly, it will be the handheld version that I've wanted for forever. OK, maybe not forever but if it really does take 3 to 5 years then assuming that the 3DS will last about 5 to 8 years like most systems do, the 3DS will probably be closer to being replaced then the Wii U.