Nintendo Has "No Plans" to Bring Last Story Westward

Posted by James Newton

Mistwalker title stuck in limbo

Wii roleplayer Last Story has attracted plenty of interest all over the world due to the involvement of Final Fantasy honcho Hironobu Sakaguchi and the game's impressive graphical showing, but hopes of seeing it make the journey to Western shores have just taken a dent.

A Nintendo representative told VG247 the company currently has no plans to localise the game for Western Wii owners.

Of course, plans can often change, and with the game not released until January 27th in Japan Nintendo may simply be waiting to see how it fares in its native country before setting localisation plans into motion. Don't give up hope just yet.

[via vg247.com]

Cipher

Cipher said:

I don't believe this for a second. It's received so much worldwide press, especially since Sakaguchi's behind it as you say, that not launching it worldwide makes no sense.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

hey, if Nintendo thinks it's too big a risk, let someone else do it.

... though in all seriousness, i can't see them not bringing this to the west. with them having the ability to plaster 'from the people who brought you the Final Fantasy series...' all over it, it's sure to rake in the dough.

Ren

Ren said:

yeah, right.
Plans can change pretty quick when dollars show up to play. that looks awesome and I don't even like RPG's.

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

I agree with you TBD. I really would have liked to see this, as there's not much in the way of JRPG's on Wii. I don't really like playing long RPG's on portable systems, I like to be able to sit down and play them, so it doesn't take forever to get to the next story point. On portables I play too little too infrequently, so I forget what happens.

kdognumba1

kdognumba1 said:

Im still waiting on Xenoblade as well....

Quit dragging your feet and bring the games to the west.

k thx bai

Hardy83

Hardy83 said:

Is anyone surprised? Unless it sells 4 bazillion copies at the same price point for 3 years, Nintendo doesn't seem (NoA or NoJ) to care about porting games.

Face it, this game would've sold 1 million MAYBE two. That sounds like a lot but we all know that's not worth the effort for Nintendo...though they did port golden sun 3 and that probably didn't sell well.

ElectricSplash

ElectricSplash said:

Well, in a year or two there will be surely a fan-made english patch as they did for Okami (they made a Spanish patch), Fatal Frame IV, Captain Rainbow...

World is not over...

BrainBoxLtd

BrainBoxLtd said:

Some website, that most of us have probably never heard of, reports a nameless Nintendo Rep said “We have no plans at present." (All though these headlines like to drop "at present") Sounds like PR talk for "I don't know."

Chances are if any of us wrote to Nintendo's customer service e-mail, we'd get the exact same response.

Destructoid at least contacted someone at Mistwalker and got they got the answer "Thank you for your concern. More info to come." about a western release. Almost as vague, harder to rephrase into something inflammatory.

it is possible to get your point across without being insulting. thank you -- TBD

Mqblank

Mqblank said:

Why do Nintendo totally screw up bringing RPG's to Wii yet have released some corkers on DS (Dragon Quest, Last Window, Golden Sun)?

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I hope this sells well enough to convince nintendo to bring it here. If not then hopefully either another company will bring it to the west or it will get an english patch. I would also really like to play Xenoblade and thats been out in Japan for a while now and nintendo haven't mentioned anything about it being released elsewhere so hopefully someone else will bring that to the west or someone will make an english patch of it.
@Zoipi Theres a patch for Captain Rainbow? Where? That game looks great!

Gameday

Gameday said:

Man if this goes down , im not forgiving this time. Seriously ? No Seriously ?? How many rpg's do wii have. No Forgiveness if you do us dirty again.

the_randomizer

the_randomizer said:

See, these are the types of asinine decisions that tick me off; first Nintendo announces that the 3DS is region locked, and now this. Pure asininity at its finest. If Nintendo wants to solve these so-called "piracy" or "illegal" related issues, they need to release these games in the US, make the 3DS region free, and moreover, to stop making dumb decisions.

Robo-goose

Robo-goose said:

FE:NME:HLS has been out in Japan since June with no word of it coming westward.
This hasn't even been released in Japan yet, so maybe if we whine about how much we want it, we'll see this game coming to us.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

@Zoipi Thanks I found the site thats doing the patch for Captain Rainbow too. I look forward to the patches of both games being released.

koops330

koops330 said:

I really hope this game comes out in American I been looking foward to it since I found out about it

OldBoy

OldBoy said:

Dear Nintendo,
WE LIKE JRPG's!!! FFS!!! Please let us have some?pretty please? :) In fact some Western RPG's wouldn't go amiss either.
This game looks great BTW. Maybe I could import....No can't do that either.Damn it :(
I do find it odd that while Nintendo have the best line up of RPG's on the DS the Wii is completly neglected.Strange....but true.

Betagam7

Betagam7 said:

Wow, if this is true then Nintendo really is on a 90's vibe. Stiffing europe with 50hz retail releases and now not bothering to bring RPG's to the west.

It's like owning a SNES all over again.

Unca_LzStaff

Unca_Lz said:

I think Nintendo's waiting to see what happens in Japan, then they'll consider a western release

Objection

Objection said:

In related news, I have no plans to give Nintendo money in 2011, lol. I'm really hoping they bring this over or let someone else bring it over (Square, ATLUS, whomever) because I'm tired of seeing great titles (Fatal Frame, Disaster, Another Code 2) never get released here.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Nintendo! We need some RPGs for the Wii! Would you please throw us this one!!!

RAGE!!!!

Varoennauraa

Varoennauraa said:

That means Xenoblade has no chance and on other words Nintendo is asking us to import 3ds's and not, in any circumstances, to buy EU consoles anymore.

I'm one of the most avid and honest Nintendo fanboys in Europe, but I have no plans to keep my Nintendo-consoles unmodded anymore.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Well, if it's true, there goes flying out the window my 2nd most anticipated 2011 title for the Wii, next to TLoZ: Skyward Sword.

Just more salt on the wound that's never healed over the years, from Japan getting so many great games we never see. I looked at this as being a return to the Final Fantasy I USED TO know and love. Figures, then, that we may get shafted out of it like we did NES FF II, III and SNES FF V.

Nintendo better be glad 3DS is coming out, otherwise the only money it'd get from me in 2011 would possibly be for Skyward Sword and the occasional VC buy. By far, the worst gaming news of the year to date.

astarisborn94

astarisborn94 said:

This year for the Wii is not looking good. Not releasing The Last Story into here would only further deteriorate the year.

@Hardy83: Actually, people should be surprise by this game not getting released in the west. This is a worldwide highly anticipated title that has the potential to be Triple A. Nintendo just has to release this game outside of Japan, it just has to.

Stine

Stine said:

At least it doesn't seem like they've completely ruled out a Western release.

Yadoking

Yadoking said:

Yeah Mistwalker is telling western gamers stuff on twitter about the game in english, which is where D-toid got that statement.

Gamesake

Gamesake said:

@BetelgeuseWC77 If you check out the Japanese gameplay videos, you'll see this game isn't the Final Fantasy you USED TO know and love. Last Story looks like something else, but that's not a bad thing.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

"Nintendo Has "No Plans" to Bring Last Story Westward"

I was about to straight kill someone when I read this. This title should read, "Nintendo Has "No CURRENT Plans" to Bring Last Story Westward". It's still too early to get up in arms about this. I hope it will come, but then again, I hoped Tales of Graces would too, and uh... yeah... I got nothin'...

Wolfenstein83

Wolfenstein83 said:

I never understand decisions like these.
Hey look, here is this appealing RPG, but let's not release is anywhere else?
Ah well, maybe they will change their minds?

the_shpydar

the_shpydar said:

Well ... crap. Hopefully things will change. I have to beleive this would sell quite well; like others have said, just slap "From the Creators of Final Fantasy" in big block letters on the package.

Marvelousmoo

Marvelousmoo said:

Even if it happens, it won't be for a long time because of this. Somebody better be working on Xenoblade!

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

@Gamesake
Almost afraid to check out any videos of it now, as I don't like to look forward to games that I'll have no chance to play. I imagine it out-Final Fantasies anything Square is doing now and in the future with the franchise. I won't say the franchise is a shell of it's former self. I will say it's an abomination of it's former self.

As for Nintendo, is this is true, they also have no plans of bolstering their wafer-thin support of RPGs in the US. RPGs on Nintendo consoles since the Super NES glory days have almost been a joke.

greenellow

greenellow said:

NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but hopefully a bottle of whiskey and dragon quest 6 can ease the pain

jaw51

jaw51 said:

I am so excited for this game; it better be coming west! Xenoblade would be nice too.

Fuzzy

Fuzzy said:

Im not too worried, as I've got a feeling this won't be the last story we hear about this game.

Yanchamaru

Yanchamaru said:

Almost all Japanese published games by Nintendo that are not first party or involve Mario seem to be MIA in the West

outrun2sp

outrun2sp said:

Fatal Frame strikes again.

At the next trade show they will have people on the nintendo stand whove never heard of the game but they will be promoting the next WII music title.

wes008

wes008 said:

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE BRING THE FRICKING GAME STATESIDE!!!!!!!!!!!

LuWiiGi

LuWiiGi said:

Why do Nintendo have to be so stubborn? I love their games, but sometimes they really don't listen to their loyal fans.

Gameday

Gameday said:

make a couple 100 thousand copies for here... then see where that goes and work from there

millarrp

millarrp said:

I hope they do change their mind, if the gameplay is on par with the graphics that would definately be something to look into

Lictor

Lictor said:

When I read about its developing I desired it... :( I hope it will come to Europe

feder

feder said:

Geez. As a hardcore RPG fan, I might as well just import all my systems as it seems like we hardly ever get good RPGs from Nintendo.

LostTomorrows

LostTomorrows said:

Nintendo needs to get back to embracing the RPG; after the two juggernauts (Tales of Symphonia and Baten Kaitos) came out for the Gamecube, Nintendo's been largely overlooking the genre, with the Wii being nearly devoid of any. The best systems of theirs have the most variety, and to me it is still the GCN.
I'm one of the many who have seen this game and cannot wait to see more. Nintendo's riding the 3DS and the fact that Skyward Sword is very loosely interpreted to be out in 2011, so they'd better say yes to this one - as I'm positive it will be a hit here regardless of its reception in Japan.