Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton Team Up on 3DS

Posted by James Newton

Dream match never ends! And so on

Get ready to pit your wits against two of the smartest characters ever to grace a Nintendo handheld: Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton are set to match up on 3DS.

Officially called Professor VS Gyakuten Saiban, at the moment very little else is known, but it'll apparently be a combination of crime mystery and puzzles, with Ace Attorney helmsman Shu Takumi taking lead writing duties.

We'll bring you more on this exciting crossover as it arrives.

[via 1up.com]

Robo-goose

Robo-goose said:

At first I thought, "What a cruel joke". Now, I am bathing in its radiance.
I am, however, PUZZLED by how the gameplay, which is currently a MYSTERY, will work.
I guess I will just have to INVESTIGATE that on another gaming website, for now.

SuperPeach

SuperPeach said:

... you're kidding. :| Never thought I'd see that, it looks pretty cool and I love ace attorney, I'm not a fan of professor layton though.

HappyHappy

HappyHappy said:

I don't believe it, I see it, but I don't believe it. I never thought a crossover like this would ever happen.

Pod

Pod said:

Not sure this will work. I mean, love both franchises to pieces, but the two of them don't look like they belong in the same universe. :-/

JayArr

JayArr said:

Somebody was smoking something good to come up with this combo. Can't wait to see how this plays out, though.

Nintenzo

Nintenzo said:

Wait a minute...

Don't the Professor Layton games take place in the 1800s?
And the Phoenix Wright games in the 2000s?

EdEN

EdEN said:

See, this is the type of game that sells a system. IF this was ready for the 3DS launch over here I would have no choice but to sell a kidney to buy the console and the game.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

There's just one answer... TIME TRAVEL!

In a Layton game? Thats crazy talk!!

Axoloth

Axoloth said:

@10: Yes, because everyone had cars in the 1800s. >_> Don't know when it takes place, looks more like the early to mid 1900s though, again I only guess based on the types of cars they had. :P

Also this game will be pure, orgasmic objectionistic joy.

RyuZebian

RyuZebian said:

Me: "Oh you gotta be kidding me..."
Objection..!
Me: Oh. I guess you werent't. I still haven't tried neither series.Time is scarce, and my DSi haven't gotten a lot of mine lately... I wish some collection will be released in the future so that I can try all of the out though!

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I love the professor Layton games but I still haven't started the ace attorney games. This crossover shold be interesting.

HolyMackerel

HolyMackerel said:

DREAM MATCH NEVER ENDS <3 I love the NL staff.

Also, this is amazing. Let's hope they can bring PW back to the awesomeness of the original series. Probably so.

Terra

Terra said:

OH. MY. GAWD!!!! :O

I honestly never thought I'd see this, the 3DS greatness is becoming far too much :)

G-MaxiMillion

G-MaxiMillion said:

Funny.. I always thought Professor Layton was a match for Phoenix Wright, but now to know the game will be real and these two of my favorite game characters will be in full 3D is just... epic.

Taya

Taya said:

This the best news ever. Day one purchase!

The Layton games take place in the 1950s or 1960s. The Ace Attorney games take place in 2015 or so.

Mqblank

Mqblank said:

Best gaming news in the history of gaming news for me! Saw the headline just as internet time at work went off (bloody 14:00) and was waiting until I got home for more details. Only the inclusion of Pheonix in Marvel vs Capcom 3 can get me more excited (come on Capcom, I dare you). If the 3DS wasn't already a must purchase this just made it one!

Shugo

Shugo said:

Fully animated cutscenes with fully voiced Phoenix?

I'LL TAKE TWENTY.

Noire

Noire said:

I don't know how I feel about this game yet... with no real knowledge of Professor Layton, that half just seems inaccessible to me as of now. But... it does have Feenie and Maya~

It's better news than AAI2, damn straight.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

I don't do Professor Layton, so unless this crossover is amazing undeniable, then I will pass. Straight Ace Attorney guy, myself...

HipsterDashie

HipsterDashie said:

Okay.

Now you can consider my mind officially blown.

And spread about the room in small, bloody bits.

In fact, this is just a headless body now typing.

Who am I? Where do I belong?

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

Well I am a HUGE Prof. Layton fan and enjoyed the Ace Attorney game I did play. This sounds like an amazing crossover that i'm sure I will pick up (mainly because of Layton.)

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

You have more than enough time to catch up before the game is released. So whats stopping you?

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Very intresting. This further makes the 3DS look like the best thing ever. It also further makes me want to try out Professor Layton. Hopefully this won't just be a Japanese exclusive.

Peznaze

Peznaze said:

"In the video game justice system, the people are represented by two separate yet equally important groups -- the professors who investigate puzzles, and the lawyers who object before judges. These are their stories."

Meh. Anywho, reminds me of Law & Order.

DiggerandIndy

DiggerandIndy said:

@10
I don't think PL takes place in the 1800's. There's cars in the series, that's for sure. Cars didn't pick up until the early 1900's.

Noire

Noire said:

What's stopping me, Bass, is the fact that I don't like puzzle games, nor do I have any sort of time to waste playing a game series I'm sure to not enjoy thoroughly when I have so much else I can play.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

I love the KOF reference, especially since it reminds me of one of my favorite Fighting games ever.

Discipledoctor

Discipledoctor said:

@G-MaxiMillion

Hey man, thanks for those pictures. I copied the links and put them in my GameFAQs topic for this game (I gave credit to you, don't worry). That second picture is...awesome. Fully animated objections...I can't wait.

SMW

SMW said:

I've never played a Layton game, but anything with Phoenix Wright is an instant buy for me.

Objection

Objection said:

@Feenie-actually, you'd prolly like Layton. its fairly laidback compared to other puzzle games. plus it has a story and fun, unlike many other puzzle games. :P

But seriously, I am shocked that the AA announcement was this. :D And unlike the AAI2 announcement, I mean that in a good way. ;)

Punny

Punny said:

AWESOME! This game will be great! I'm wondering how the gameplay will work, though. :)

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

@Feenie: I'll going to send Nintendo an email and demand that they make a Golden Sun/Professor Layton crossover game. Then, you will have no choice but to play it.:D

Tar

Tar said:

Are they going to change the proportions of the layton character's bodies?

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

Not good!
It should be called "Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright feat. Kyle Hyde & Ashley Robins".

Radbot42

Radbot42 said:

I just hope this doesnt have anything to do with apollo and the edgeworth games. I'm hoping to skip those games. But I guuess I'll have to borrow the Layton games from my sis

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

...HOLY CRAP THAT'S AWESOME!!!

Two of my favorite characters teaming up and it ISN'T a Smash game yet? Heck yes I'm in! Will we get to see Layton yell "OBJECTION!" though?

playtoomuch

playtoomuch said:

HOLY CRAP. Wonder how they will be able to do this. does layton somehow came to phoenix 's world or the other way around? Will layton use Special/prosecute people? What will pheonix say beside OBJECTION when solving a puzzle

cnm_nintendo

cnm_nintendo said:

OH MY GAWD!!! This is the best news EVER!! Ultimate crossover! I love the Professor Layton and Ace Attorney games!!!! Day 1 buy for me! :D

Mario_34

Mario_34 said:

My two favourite DS Excusive Franchise’s doing a Crossover on 3DS I have only one thing to say, THIS IS GOING TO BE AMAZING,

Noire

Noire said:

@lz - Oh like... everything on my backlog. ...You know, all 151 unbeaten games. D:

@Otacon: You and your trying to get me to buy games, lol ;) Perhaps I shall give it a shot, especially if...

@WolfRam: ...they make that, holy crap, that would be so kickbackside even if I still don't know anything about Layton haha

miketh2005

miketh2005 said:

I'm so glad Shu Takumi is doing the writing, I love the PW stories better than the PL ones. He is SUCH a genius writer!

astarisborn94

astarisborn94 said:

Totally did not expect this cross over to happen in a million years.

It might be so strange that I may have to just buy it for the sake of experiencing a strange cross-over.

SennaKurosaki

SennaKurosaki said:

Now this is the kind of beautiful game that I am waiting for!
And of course also Ni No Kuni, the game made by Level 5 together with Studio Ghibli.