Ubisoft's Latest UK Release Schedule Still Shows Watch Dogs Wii U As "TBC"

Posted by Damien McFerran

Don't worry though, Just Dance 2015 is locked in next month

Ubisoft has revealed its latest UK release schedule, and a solid street date continues to allude the long-delayed Wii U version of Watch Dogs.

The open-world action adventure launched on other formats in May, while the Nintendo edition was held back until later in the year. Ubisoft has been curiously silent on the status of this title, and it has been "TBC" for most of 2014. We're now more than two-thirds of the way through this year, so Ubisoft needs to move pretty quickly if it's going to confirm an actual launch date for the Wii U edition.

Ubisoft's only other Nintendo titles are Just Dance 2015 — which will be hitting the Wii and Wii U on October 24th — and Tetris Ultimate, which is coming to the 3DS in Autumn of this year. However, Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot has revealed that the company has another secret Wii U project held in reserve until the console has a larger audience.

Do you think Watch Dogs will still see the light of day on the Wii U, or is Ubisoft's continued reluctance to commit to a date making you suspicious? Drop a comment and let us know what you think.

Related Games

johndevine

johndevine said:

It is a disgrace that Nintendo haven't revealed release dates for remainder of the year.

No release dates for Bayonetta or Smash Bros Wii U.

Which I want to book some time off work for, but of course I cannot do so until dates are announced!!!

Ps. I couldn't care less about Watch_Dogs.

gspro15198

gspro15198 said:

I still want to buy Watch Dogs purely to see how they have spent the extra time implementing the gamepad and hopefully it'll be some sort of GOTY edition with all the DLC included as well. fingers crossed.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

... I just want to play the game. And yes, despite the very sad news about Ubisoft not releasing any "core" titles on Wii U, I didn't pick up Wtach_Dogs on any other platform, I just want to play the game on my Wii U. Please Ubisoft, let me give you my money!

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

I really want to buy watch dogs seeing as I've never owned an open-world game (besides Lego City Undercover ;P) and neither have I owned a mature shooter. I don't care about the next GTA, CoD or Watch Dogs type of game, I just think it would be pretty stupid of me to miss out on a whole generation of games that were regarded by many, as great games!

Stormnova

Stormnova said:

I don't really think that it will make an appearance now especially as ubisoft still won't commit to a release date.

ekreig

ekreig said:

[Wait until 2098 to release Watch Dogs for Wii U]
[Everyone with any interest in the game already owns it on another system]
[Watch Dogs Wii U tanks, Wii U players obviously CANT HANDLE TEH MATURE GAMEZ LAWL]

TreonsRealm

TreonsRealm said:

Considering we are only 4 months till the end of the year with no real release date and to my knowledge, Watch Dogs has NEVER been shown actually running on Wii U hardware, I expect that this game isn't coming and UbiSoft is keeping up the front so Wii U fans don't backlash against them and negatively effect their Just Dance 2015 sales. Nintendo's Unite 2014 video showed that the system is owned mostly by adult males (93% 18 and older) and not women and children as Ubisoft and other third party's would have us believe. When you consider the pretty average reaction to the game and the fact that you can get it for $30-$40 on other consoles while Ubisoft would charge a full $60 on Wii U, the game is a guaranteed failure IF it comes to Wii U and they know it. I suggest anyone who was hoping to get it on Wii U prepare for the worst.

Rubyace

Rubyace said:

I am still considering getting Watch Dogs for Wii U but it starts to look like the game is not coming so maybe my consideration is useless. Well maybe I won't play it at all then...

BigH88

BigH88 said:

They really should just say canceled because that's what it seems like. If you really took the extra time to utilize the strengths of the Wii U we'd of seen footage and had a release date already.
You'd be proud of what you've done and teased Nintendo owners and get us all hyped. Instead of this crap.

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

I bet they'll announce a release date once Smash Wii U has a release date and will "accidentally" be on the same day.

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

I'm gonna put the money I used to preorder this game into something else. I'm done waiting

Hero-of-WiiU

Hero-of-WiiU said:

Thanks to the delay, I am no longer getting this, at least Project Cars still appeals to me and only seems to be delayed a few months.

RantingThespian

RantingThespian said:

I would have bought this game immediately if it came out on the Wii U during the launch day for the other systems. Now I am starting to doubt if I'll get it at all . . . IF it ever comes out.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@johndevine Its not a disgrace, they learned from the past.
They had set dates for launch titles on the 3DS, that simply werent finished on time, and had to be delayed over and over and over.
Especially Kid Icarus arrived rather late, and to be perfectly honest, it was worth it manyfold.
Nintendo openly stated, that they will hold off on talking about release dates, untill they are set in stone 110%.
And honestly, its a wise decision. Sure, you keep your audience on edge the whole time, but rather this, than missing your deadline repeatedly.

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

I'm stil holding on for the Wii U version, but I will only wait so long before I say screw it and just give up on the game completly

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

Ah thank goodness. I thought they would confirm this long awaited game to october or january that would've been a disaster. I can't for the UK to get this game on TBC!

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

I'm confident it'll get cancelled. Iwata won't say or do anything about it, Ubi will use the "low install base" excuse despite the Wii U having better numbers than the Xbone. Its a load of garbage and we're getting punished this generation because Nintendo treated 3rd parties like crap for so long.

BLPs

BLPs said:

I don't exactly know what to make of this generation. Nintendo is the only console that has games selling consistently at least (Because Knack lasted 2 weeks remember) and it also more games, and the exclusives are shaping up to be better titles, but the third party support isn't there from the so-called "Important" companies.

But the PS4 and Xbone aren't doing any better, that's the paradox of it all. Why refuse a system that sure, isn't as powerful (Like that stopped the NES, SNES and PS2 guys.) but has a longer life behind it, more exclusives available and a more dedicated fanbase with a wider range of games available as opposed to a system boasting nothing but incredible and hardware and graphics, with games that either sell well for a day or don't meet expectations, like Watch_Dogs.

The Wii U, at least for now, is the only system with games on it that are either interesting, fun to play for a long time, sell consistently (No matter how low those sales are, at least they stay constant) or not available on a system everyone already owns. I'm looking at you Titanfall. Plus the flagship game for the system at the moment isn't The Last of Us: Slightly HDer Super Turbo HD Remix Arcade Edition with a double Latte.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

@TreonsRealm Ubisoft don't believe the Wii U is only owned by families. They said the game they are holding back is a family game and they are waiting for more of those kind of consumers to buy Wii U systems.

The Wii U is owned by Nintendo fans reluctant to try new experiences.

BensonUii

BensonUii said:

I'll pick this up when it's less than 10€ with all DLCs included. I CAN'T WAIT!!! Thank you Ubisoft!

ZeroZX_Dev

ZeroZX_Dev said:

The Wii U version of Watch_Dogs is doomed. DOOOOOOMED!
And Ubisoft has no one to blame but themselves.

MajinSoul

MajinSoul said:

@C-Olimar "The Wii U is owned by Nintendo fans reluctant to try new experiences." Yes, Nintendo fans are reluctant to try all those new experiences like CoD 911, Assassins Creed X or Fifa 2kXX. Sorry, but most of the games 3rd parties are offering are just annual releases with little to none improvement. Of course, we're refusing all this new stuff...

TreonsRealm

TreonsRealm said:

@C-Olimar - No, the Wii U is owned by Nintendo fans who are tired of being burned time and time again by lazy third parties for over 15 years. If those Nintendo fans were reluctant to try new experiences then the indies on eShop wouldn't be doing as well as they are. UbiSoft has gotten lazy and is quickly following EA's example and it will hurt them in the long run (I am referring to their practices on all consoles and not just Wii U).

BLPs

BLPs said:

In regards to this being the last Ubisoft "Mature" release, I want to call BS here for a moment.

I will say now, that here in the UK, what determines "Mature"? Easy. In movies, it's sexual scenes. A movie can have anything in it and it can reach 15 easily. To hit an 18 rating it needs those scenes. In games, it's largely the same.

A "Mature" game features violence, sex, swearing, and all the clichés of adult life.

Child friendly games, especially back in the day of the NES-GC/early PS2, where loaded with cartoon characters blowing up surreal environments, having fun, not swearing, but still killing (Technically). Ratchet and Clank got pretty graphic and that was rated 7, even with the whole blowing up of planets and skull cracking you did. What stopped it getting higher? Cartoon violence.

These games can also be pretty damn difficult. Now I'm not saying newer titles aren't, because some are, just look at Sonic Lost World or Rayman, a colourful title that will kick you hard, but back in the day, the kids could enjoy games like that. Sure, some games present mature themes, but are they really mature? No. Maturity is looking at themes and saying, "That's a bit disrespectful" or "I wouldn't do that, it isn't sensible" you know, like parents and schooling teach us.

Watch_Dogs isn't a mature game. It's a game with mature themes, that glorifies them. I will reason to say other games with lesser ratings handle some "Mature" themes better, like oppression, like the wars we see going on, and cyber-bullying and hacking, rather glorifying it into something fun. This is where Mature games fall flat. Sure the themes can be there, but you aren't actually being mature about it in an acceptable way other than for it to be edgy.

Sentinator

Sentinator said:

Honestly what do third parties expect from Nintendo fans when this is how they treat us?

You guys (Ubisoft) are lucky I'm just proving a point. Anybody else would probably have told you where to stick it by now.

KikReask

KikReask said:

Oh that's still coming out huh? Don't care, I refuse to play so the guys at Ubisoft shouldn't waste their time. At the very least don't produce too many copies of the Wii U version for your own sake.

Arngrim

Arngrim said:

@johndevine Bayonetta comes out in oktober.

I won't get Watch Dogs, so i dont really care, After Ubisoft officially dropped the Nintendo Support outside casual games like the dancing games i don't bother buying their games anymore.

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

Not to sound like a downer, but it seems to me that Ubi just wants to cancel this game for Wii U. I won't be surprised if they do.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

I would support this game if it were to come to Wii U but they left it too late and the Wii U already has better games I haven't bought yet.

Sentinator

Sentinator said:

@shonenjump86 It isn't being a downer to me. I don't think people would care going by the comments here. People move on and later releases don't work much for any system.

Nintendo's games are always better then what third parties put out anyway. Those are the games I play most. Can't say for everybody else here.

BLPs

BLPs said:

@Sentinator

I play mostly Nintendo titles too, for my Wii U anyway, as I also have a PS3, but if a good third-party title comes along, and several have, then I will damn well buy it if it is a good time.

Watch_Dogs doesn't even sound like that good of a game anyway, going by the general reception.

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

Bwahahahahaha... Ubisoft are bloody useless!! In the past I've gotten defensive of ubisoft, and at one point I was telling all my mates to wait for this amazing inventive game coming called watch_dogs!! Now I just find the whole thing comical, it's insulting to everyone involved that they have still not got a date/screen shot/features or even behind closed doors viewings for the media. I've got this image in my head of a hundred monkeys typing code for them in a sealed room, a bannana drops every time they get a usable string of 1's and 0's......
The irony that a game about interconnected technology and they don't have a clue what's going on with theirs!!!!

Yosher

Yosher said:

Just cancel the damn game already, Ubi. You know you want to. ALL the third parties are freaking doing it. Jump on the same boat and cancel the game, ya greedy people.

kereke12

kereke12 said:

If you buy Watch_Dogs on Wii U I'm judging you. Why would anyone want to support a company that doesn't support you. Which is the customer of Nintendo. It seems like a waste of time. If you really want to play it, I'm pretty sure you have other consoles.

Sentinator

Sentinator said:

@BLPs I hear you man ;)

In regards to this game, if it is anything like Assassin's Creed I won't like it. Despite the praise it gets I don't get the hype behind it. It was a huge amount of cutscenes and the game moved too slow for me. Rayman Legends however was great.

Sadly Watchdogs seems more like AC than Rayman.

rjejr

rjejr said:

"We're now more than two-thirds of the way through this year, so Ubisoft needs to move pretty quickly if it's going to confirm an actual launch date for the Wii U edition."

SSB - the game that works w/ the amiibo - and Capt Toad in the US still dont have release dates or months even, but Ubi needs to move? uh huh

I wonder if Ubi had its own fan site how people would react to all Nintendos oddities and eccentricities on there ;-)

TBC? To be continued? We use TBD "to be determined" in the US if anybody East of the Atlantic is wondering about all the TBC comments.

BLPs

BLPs said:

@Sentinator

It received generally positive reviews, but the game was overall downgraded from what was initially shown, even though those files are still in the game and have to be hacked, Ubisoft claims it wasn't downgraded, and the controls have been criticized. The game is also cited as not being as revolutionary as Ubisoft wants us to think...

I tried doing an LP of Assassins Creed with a friend. We got so bored with the locales and repetitive structure that we canned it before we got half way into the game.

Yeah this seems worth. I often cheer for the underdogs but...I don't know. I'm about to start a Computer Games Design degree course, and I also know that games should be fun over looking pretty. I think I already have a few ideas for what I want to develop. ;) Maybe a spiritual successor to a certain Bandicoot...

AndyWARbear

AndyWARbear said:

I'm giving Ubisoft until the end of September to announce a date. When the inevitable happens and there's no announcement I'll cancel my preorder. That's a real shame. It was fully paid off too.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

@MajinSoul Biased much?
Deus Ex, Need for Speed, Splinter Cell Blacklist, The Wonderful 101, Darksiders 2, Injustice, Ninja Gaiden 3...?
The latest Mario rehash probably sold double all of these games combined.

Shambo

Shambo said:

Maybe I'll change my pre-order into a 'to be decided' as well... Really, how big companies handle their releases these past few years, had me loving the indie scene even more. Only thing: I love my games on a disc, in a box (with a friggin' manual... :( ).

TheRealThanos

TheRealThanos said:

@TreonsRealm #11 Good comment, I completely agree. Third parties keep feeding us BS and gimped ports, release them later but maintain full price point and somehow still expect them to be successful on Wii U. Being an experienced sales & marketing professional myself, I can smell the BS all the way up to the moon and back.
@BLPs #27 #35 Well said and pretty much on target. Also interesting info on the demographic.
IN GENERAL:
My interest in Watch_Dogs has dwindled so far that it is next to none, so it will at the most be a bargain bin buy for me, about two years after release, when it will have reached its just deserved price of about 10 bucks.
The first trailers did not completely blow me away, but I was impressed and I liked the idea of the game's mechanics, but Ubisoft has ruined everything now so it is now on the bottom of my list.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

My guess is they are going to wait until the sales for the game are crap and that no one wants it, then release it during a major Nintendo release, Release it the day after, get crap sales and use that to justify never supporting Nintendo again.

BLPs

BLPs said:

@TheRealThanos

I honestly thought I was getting a bit ranty but, I guess not. I don't like saying the obvious either but sometimes you just have to sit back and look. Ubisoft isn't doing itself any favours and mature games I notice are getting less and less desirable. I noticed in school, an age disparity. I always liked kiddy games, as the folks call em, and my family has criticized this, but once I reached 17-18, people suddenly did a U-turn and went back to the games of old, the cartoony things.

I guess mature games aren't for mature people after all huh.

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

@rjejr it's 'to be confirmed' for tbc.
I assume you meant west of the Atlantic, since America is to the west ;)

MajinSoul

MajinSoul said:

@C-Olimar I'd hardly call Super Mario 3D World a rehash, but if you refered to New Super Mario Bros U I'd completly agree with you.
To those games mentioned by you: I played all of them except Injustice and Need for Speed Most Wanted.

Deus Ex HR is an amazing game, yet it was ported to WiiU 2 YEARS after it was released on other platforms. You could get it for less than 10 bucks on other platforms while you had to pay 40 on the WiiU. That is if you hadn't already played it before.

NFSMW was a pretty good port and I tried to purchase it, but it still costs over 60 € where I live. Again, you can purchase it for less than 20 € on other platforms.

SC Blacklist I got for free when I bought a GTX 780 in a promotion. It's a terrible game in my opinion and it lacks offline co-op on the WiiU. Why would you buy an inferior version?

The Wonderful 101 is truly a disaster. It's one of the best action games out there and noone but Nintendo and Nintendo fans are to blame for the low sale numbers.

Darksiders 2 is awful compared to Darksiders 1, which Wii U owners never got to play. Of course the game is more likely to sell on platforms that already had the first title. It runs terrible with constant tearing and framerate drops. It also released 3 months later than on other platforms.

It took almost an entire year for Ninja Gaiden 3 to come to the WiiU. As with every third party game, the game was available for less than 20€ on other platforms at this point. This is something I see happening with Indie games right now. Look at games like Steam World Dig and Guacamelee. They release at full price in the eShop, while they were on Steam Sale multiple times for less than 5 €.

You see, most of the games that got ported over came way too late (DE:HR), weren't optimized, didn't have the prequels on the WiiU (Darksiders 2, Mass Effect 3, ...) or are just way more expensive than on any other platform (NFSMW).

Mega719

Mega719 said:

I wanted to get this but it's questionable if it's even going to release at all. Even if it's not done yet Ubisoft would have shown us footage by now like every other version instead of being so secretive about it. If they are going to release it I don't understand why they expect it to sell with zero advertisement

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

TBC means to be cancelled great.Just cancel the game Ubisoft no one cares about this version no more.is going to sell terrible and you know it.But maybe if Ubisoft showed some footage of the Wiiu version,maybe people will buy it. But wait you don't like doing that, that's perfect.If it does come out,then i'm buying this used.

sagen

sagen said:

If this company actually wants to see sales from Nintendo consoles, they have to stop treating Nintendo gamers like trash.

Sentinator

Sentinator said:

@BLPs I have noticed it. Cinematic games are focusing on graphics rather then the gameplay. I suppose its because companies divert their resources among consoles and can't focus on both cinematic cutscenes or stories and fun, deep, compelling gameplay and depth. I'm not sure about age group appeal though but adults do like Nintendo games as well.

@ULTRA-64 I think the user means here. We haven't been given an exact date for Bayonetta 2, Smash Bros or Amiibo price points.

Mega719

Mega719 said:

Slightly Mad Studios directly told us that Wii U edition of Project Cars would be delayed until 2015 showing that they care in bringing the best experience to Nintendo gamers and they don't want them to worry of it being inferior or canceled. Ubisoft on the other hand is acting so "hush-hush" about it making it confusing if they are making it at all. They may have been trying to get damage control this entire time. Just tell us it's canceled Ubisoft, don't think Nintendo's gamers don't care about this

BLPs

BLPs said:

@Sentinator

I know adults who love Nintendo stuff too! I don't know what systems I get to play with on my course but...I will aim for Nintendo. I want to provide retro experiences, like games from the PS1 you don't see anymore.

StuOhQ

StuOhQ said:

@johndevine

I'll only be buying this thing if it comes with current DLC/patches and they make some interesting use of the gamepad. I really want to support third parties on the Wii U, but they aren't giving me a lot to go on...

FilmerNgameR

FilmerNgameR said:

TBC? Does it stand for To Be Cancelled? I've heard of TBD as in To Be Decided but not TBC? o.O

LN3000

LN3000 said:

I wouldn't count on a WiiU release.
It would be great to have it on WiiU, but with a delay like this, it's like why bother? The vast majority of the people who want the game will already have it on another platform (or two.)
The story is good, the concept is good, but they need to do something about the controls and frustrating AI. I'd much rather them focus on improving the game for other platforms first, rather than a rushed WiiU port just to please the WiiU folks. (Who will then be disappointed by the rushed game, and then Ubisoft will be further justified against taking the WiiU seriously.)
It's a no-win situation, folks..

Let's just be happy that we have plenty of awesome first-party games from Nintendo.

Lord

Lord said:

Any game that gets released on other formats first will never succeed!

arnoldlayne83

arnoldlayne83 said:

It's not coming, and I can also understand why....

Not too bad, It would have sold abysimally anyhow, considering how bad all the other 3rd parties sold on wiiU.....

ShadyKnights

ShadyKnights said:

Considering the lack luster reviews I've seen of the game, I'm confident the quality of the game would have hurt it more than anything else. And that was on PC and the other consoles! Heaven help this thing to be halfassesedly ported to the Wii U! And I say ported only because we've seen and heard nothing of their intentions or actions to the Wii U version as of yet and all their other ports to the Wii U are based on another version rather than a ground up build (with the very likely exception of Raymond Legend) so why would they change that now?

rjejr

rjejr said:

@ULTRA-64 - No, I meant east, as in anybody in the EU and UK would probably know what TBC means, but since people in the US west of the atlantic don't we keep asking what TBC means and people east of the atlantic may think we're idiots. I've never seen TBC before, it's always TBD as far as I know. At least that's what it says on the eShop on my Wii U.

Phaelisker

Phaelisker said:

I would buy this game for my Wii U if it comes out. If it does not come out on Wii U, then I won't be buying it.

Pod

Pod said:

I sometimes wonder about these business decisions. I know they only get to launch the game once, but waiting until more consoles are sold also means waiting until the game is irrelevant.

Nintendo keeps their quality titles on shelves for a long time and they stay eye-catching in their sheer unique-ness, but titles like Watchdogs need to ride on hype, preorders, and early sales, to capitalize on their WOW factor.

It has neither anymore, so I wonder if they will even bother releasing it.

Yurikun

Yurikun said:

Well I want to support 3rd party companies. I bought AC:IV, NG3, Darksiders2, Rayman, Sonic :LW, W101, Lego City, a handful of Indies.
Honestly I have way more 3rd party games than 1st party.
I choose Bayo2, HW, XenobladeX, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call, and Fantasy Life in the next coming year. I'm not sure I'll get smash until much later.

ToniK

ToniK said:

There are very few games I look forward to, so I'd really like this to happen. Seems like they will cancel it later though.

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

I had this on PS3, but I've since traded it as I got bored. By the time the Wii U version turns up, I wonder what interest will be left in the game.

Salamihawk

Salamihawk said:

@gspro15198 It will run and look like doggeypoopie because Ubisoft couldn't be bothered to work on it properly, and they will blame the delay and poor quality on the Wii U hardware, even though it's pretty much identical to the PS3 and XB360 in terms of architecture and much more powerful.

Salamihawk

Salamihawk said:

@Ristar42 Nobody will buy it for Wii U because they've already played it on other systems. Ubisoft will once again condemn the Wii U as a failed platform because nobody bought Watch_Dogs, even though all the people who were interested in the game bought it before on a different platform.

Banker-Style

Banker-Style said:

So glad I got it for PS4, but Ubi are taking the P, treating people like this them moaning if the game doesn't sell well.

salxicha

salxicha said:

@gspro15198 I have the game on my PC and run at full settings with TheWorse mod.I received it as a gift from NVIDIA on buying GTX780 and can say this game sucks at everything they tried to do.

The main quest have a history so cliche and the chars have no charisma at all.. I would resume the main quest as: LOOK AT MY AWESOME PHONE!11
Seriously, don't waste your money on it.

Salamihawk

Salamihawk said:

@salxicha This is also true. Kind of hard to get excited about a game that's been out for a long while that built up a massive wave of hype and launched only to disappointment.

Cia

Cia said:

They float, Georgie. They float. And when you're down here with me...
you
float
too!

Spakiness

Spakiness said:

As someone who picked the Wii U as my definitive console I have been dying for this game. I need something more sandbox.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I'm just glad it's even still on their release schedule, even if the date is still to be confirmed.