Nintendo Shows Off 38 "Kisekae Plate" Changeable Covers For New Nintendo 3DS

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Gorgeous

Today's announcement of New Nintendo 3DS models brought us plenty of interesting details, including the fact that the smaller model will have the unique feature of easy-to-use interchangeable faceplate covers — branded as "Kisekae Plates" in Japan — that slide across the top and bottom sections. As this smaller, less expensive model is likely to be targeting children, especially, this seems like a clever move to tap into that collectible urge while offering plenty of affordable options.

Nintendo Japan is showing off 38 different designs that will be available, with prices ranging from 1000 Yen — the majority are 1500 Yen — up to one option at 3000 Yen. That's a price range of around $9.60 / £5.80 to $28.80 / £17.40.

You can see all of the designs below, so let us know which are your favourites and whether these could tempt you into the smaller model when these arrive in the West — as is anticipated — in 2015.

9th_Sage

9th_Sage said:

I do think this is a great idea, but it is kind of too bad that the XLs won't have this. No way I'm not getting an XL of this eventually, but I like customization too Nintendo!

gspro15198

gspro15198 said:

I'm glad the new 3DS XL doesn't support the faceplates since I'll save money for games :)

blaze8937

blaze8937 said:

This is nice I would buy like one or two...and when I think about it this will save many people money because it could potentially estimate limited edition consoles and they could just relase like a limited edition plate for $20 instead of a limited console for around $200

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

My gripe with this is I want the XL model, but I also love that orange plate...but I can't have both? >_> Well that sucks because we don't ever get anything orange.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

The normal model will probably equal the XL in sales, seeing as it has bigger screens than the old 3DS, these panels and of course, it's cheaper!

Yosher

Yosher said:

I'm really really really doubtful on this. I love my Yoshi 3DS XL, and I don't really want to give that one up, but at the same time I still really wanna be able to play with the added buttons too. I'll probably end up getting the one with the customizable plate thingies, but it'll feel like downgrading when moving back to a smaller screen! WHY don't the XL versions have changable plates damnit?!

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

@Yosher Exactly my complaint. With the newer stuff, I'd much rather get the XL...but then I can't have the color(s) I want. :-l Which is pretty annoying because the color I want is finally available(and we never get it for anything).

DonSerrot

DonSerrot said:

I was considering finally upgrading to an XL with the new hardware, but now I'm thinking I'll go with the normal size instead thanks to this. I can't wait to see what kinds of custom designs people come up with. A friend of mine has a 3D printer, I wonder how feasible it'd be to print extra covers to hand paint.

Frapp

Frapp said:

So much better to buy one console and just change the cover when you feel like it, than feel massively disappointed when a limited edition console comes out after you've spent 100 quid on another.
This has to remain a feature on their next machines.

earthboundlink

earthboundlink said:

@Lalivero I thought there was an orange Gamecube back in the day. There was definitely an orange controller. But you're right, generally Nintendo sticks with black/white/red/blue/that bright blue-tealish color on the Wii U game boxes.

earthboundlink

earthboundlink said:

Anybody else remember the Gameboy Micro? It had changeable faceplates. I actually really enjoyed that system. Had a black system, black faceplate. It was slick.

I've thought many times about upgrading to an XL, but I'm one of those weirdos who actually carries his 3DS around with him everywhere, so I actually like the smaller size. The new little one is a perfect compromise, and I LOVE the colored buttons. PLUS, faceplates? Aww yeah.

I'm thinking white 3DS, red faceplate, à la #011 (I'm a grown up and I don't want to look TOO silly playing on the Metro, otherwise I might have to get that 1up mushroom)

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

@earthboundlink There was an orange controller(I have one around) but you mean the spice orange 'Cube? That was a Japanese release. Just as Japan got this piece of art last fall... )-:

Wish we could get an actual release of something over here.

Untitled

Great_Gonzalez

Great_Gonzalez said:

Hmmm i think i have to get a regular new 3DS too.. would love an xl but these facepates are interesting also... the SNES buttons man!!! Very strange that the new xl doesn't have them too.

biohax

biohax said:

Damn those Nooklings are cute. But also damn that checkerboard is classy.

chiefeagle02

chiefeagle02 said:

Not bad. I imagine more will be designed as time goes on (maybe a Zelda or Metroid flavor? we'll see...).

mystman12

mystman12 said:

I wonder if anyone will sell customized plates. I'd love to make one with a Top Speed patch from Kirby Air Ride on it.

gsmaciel

gsmaciel said:

I have an original 3DS and if I eventually make the upgrade, I'm definetly getting this smaller version. The screen is even a little larger than on the original!

AVahne

AVahne said:

I WAS gonna get the XL since I already have an original 3DS, but these faceplates have changed my mind.

Jahir

Jahir said:

Like almost everyone, I was thinking on getting the New XL... but man this plates are BEAUTIFUL. New 3DS pour moi s'il vous plait

PrincessSugoi

PrincessSugoi said:

THE PEACH ONE. :o

Why is everything so awesome today?! I've been down for so long this feels like a dream.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

My guess for why XL plates were skipped is because they still make limited edition systems for the XL while the original 3DS has had nothing for a while.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

For those that want customization but can't get these for whatever reason, in the past this site has mentioned the decal girl store. Should check them out, they have absolutely beautiful designs, several hundred and still growing all the time, nothing licensed of course but still you can make your 3ds, or wiiU or many other devices quite unique if you order one.

Don't get me wrong these are pretty cool too and I'd be wanting them if my 3ds wasn't already customized.

WanderingPB

WanderingPB said:

Im sorry but NO…because the MH4U new 3DS bundle looks too damn good!!!! And i know more special editions will be on their way besides i gant go back to a regular 3ds the xl has spoiled me!

Specters

Specters said:

I would love to get a special edition and also get a faceplate change for Luigi.

JellySplat

JellySplat said:

I'm definitely in to this! This means I won't have to buy a whole new system just to change the freaking pattern!! Good job Nintendo! I believe a round of applause is due.

this is LITERALLY the smartest thing they could have done! They can release changeable shells at different times as game Pre-order bonuses as well! it's perfect!

RobloNet

RobloNet said:

Anyone know or has anyone made an estimate at the size of this? I sorta wanna design my own.

HnD

HnD said:

In my day, we had customization too. We called these things stickers or decals, and they were cheap.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

These look cute and they remind me of changing the design of my Club Nintendo game card case.

It's too bad that the New 3DS XLs look dull in comparison to the smaller models. I still have my small original and have been feeling like getting an XL for a year or so, so the New 3DS XL looks enticing, yet I think the New original models look cool too. I would have plenty of time to consider these because of how long they'll apparently take to release.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Dammit! How am I supposed to be proud of my black vanilla 3DS with this coming around the corner???

yuwarite

yuwarite said:

Perfect way to sell both LL and regular, equally. Very smart business move by Nintendo.

Frapp

Frapp said:

@DonSerrot "I can't wait to see what kinds of custom designs people come up with. A friend of mine has a 3D printer, I wonder how feasible it'd be to print extra covers to hand paint."

Looking at the wood cover at number 24 I'd be tempted to pick up a cheap woodburning kit and design my own covers on nice bits of wood.

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

My God its the Gameboy Micro 2.0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love my little GBM, but the faceplates are the hardest thing to find for it, if this wasn't a feature I'd go right to the New XL, but this changes...everything. :P

RougeLeader

RougeLeader said:

too many to choose from. i'd rather well made than cheap price. killer 7 or Steel Diver for me thanks

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

You had me at "SNES-inspired buttons", Nintendo. Kisekae is just the icing on top of a very exciting cake. :D

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

so these arent for the XL models? :( but dont rly like any of these maybe number 24 would be my choice

luckybreak

luckybreak said:

i have the original 3DS, and was planning on getting the New XL, but i might get the new 3DS as it has at least a tiny bit larger screen and these look so beautiful

luckybreak

luckybreak said:

This is such a smart idea I'm laughing at how long into the 3DS's life it has taken for them to think this up.

jedisquidward

jedisquidward said:

COME ON, PLEASE MAKE A WHITE SMASH BROS ONE WITH ALL THE CHARACTERS ON IT!!! Also, PLEASE MAKE A SMASH BROS THEMED DASHBOARD!!!

Scary_Old_Lady

Scary_Old_Lady said:

Does buying another Kisekae Plate unlock a menu theme, that would be good value, depending on the price! (That doesn't really make any sense.)

iphys

iphys said:

After careful thought and consideration, I'd go with 005 on a black 3DS . . . until a Zelda or Punch-Out!! one became available. I hope we get these in NA, especially since I feel the size of the new 3DS would be just right for my hands (the XL is a little too big and the OG feels a little smaller than ideal).

Scary_Old_Lady

Scary_Old_Lady said:

Watch as just the UK gets 37 Plates, with 24 being the left out one. They will later introduce it for an extortinate (?) price of around £30. Just. Watch. >: (

iphys

iphys said:

Is the wooden one made out of real wood from some kind of rare bonsai tree or something? Number 012 is also 3000 yen, and it doesn't look like there's anything special about it except that it has the same larger graphic as the wooden one (although I'd much rather have the smaller graphic like on 005 that includes Luigi and Lakitu et al. anyway).

darthllama

darthllama said:

Just about all of these look like absolute garbage, but still smart decision by Nintendo

Arngrim

Arngrim said:

Guess i dont have to worry about picking, easy choice for me, already have the ambassador 3ds, and seems the new "smaller" 3ds is still bigger then the one i have so its an upgrade either way.

Adhrast

Adhrast said:

I really don't know what's going on.
I keep throwing banknotes at my computer's screen but nothing happens.