Nintendo Download: 26th June (Europe)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Wii Sports Club, GBA Mario Tennis, StreetPass discounts and much more

Another Monday has arrived, dear gamers, and Nintendo of Europe is trying to cheer us up with its Download Update details. This week certainly has plenty of choice, with a broad variety of titles covering Wii U, 3DS and, yes, DSiWare. We have the completion of a HD sports set and a particularly tempting GBA Virtual Console arrival, along with much more, so let's get to the details.

Wii U eShop

Wii Sports Club: Baseball + Boxing — (Nintendo, €9.99 / £8.99 permanent pass, €1.99 / £1.79 day pass) — The final two sports in this Wii U HD re-imagining arrive together, essentially making them two games for the price of one. In Baseball you use the GamePad motion controls for pitching and fielding while batting with the Wii MotionPlus, while Boxing utilises a Wii MotionPlus controller in each hand for increased accuracy.

Blok Drop U (RCMADIAX, €1.49 / £1.29) — When released in North America this title had the honour of being the first Nintendo Web Framework title released on the eShop, with a simple aesthetic and physics-based challenges to take on. Free DLC will arrive as the year progresses, and we gave this a reasonable recommendation in our Blok Drop U review.

Luv Me Buddies Wonderland (Oxygenes RL, €29.90 / £24.90) — This is a mini-game collection for young children, as the title suggests, though unfortunately we don't think it'll encourage much of a party atmosphere. We were heavily critical of this one in our Luv Me Buddies Wonderland review.

Wii U Virtual Console

Mario Power Tennis (Nintendo, €6.99 / £6.29) — Just in time for Wimbledon the Wii U Virtual Console serves up a treat from the Game Boy Advance library. We suspect news of this one will please some GBA fans, as it tasks you with levelling up your character before jumping into matches with the Mushroom Kingdom residents. We'll take to the court to give this RPG-lite sport title a fair swing.

Wii U Retail Download

One Piece Unlimited World Red (Bandai Namco, €54.99 / £43.99) — The well known franchise continues, this time with an adventure on Forgotten Island.

Wii U eShop Promotion

3DS eShop

Cocoro - Line Defender (Moving Player, €3.99 / £3.59) — A title with an intriguing premise of a Japanese setting and controlling elements in strategic battles to protect the land. You can unlock new heroes and various weapons in this strategy game, and we'll let you know what we think in our review.

Toy Stunt Bike (Wobbly Tooth, €4.99 / £4.49) — This sounds like a mix between Trials and Micro Machines, as you take on tricky stunt-filled courses on a toy bike, jumping over everyday items like toasters. We'll see whether this is a source of delicious fun or just an opportunity to get burnt in our upcoming review.

Parking Star 3D (CIRCLE Entertainment, €2.99 / £2.49) — The name actually says it all, as you're tasked with parking cars in assigned places. Not necessarily the most thrilling premise, and awkward controls didn't help its case at all in our Parking Star 3D review.

Van Helsing sniper Zx100 (EnjoyUp Games, €6.66 / £6.66) — This is a gallery shooter in which you target and shoot vampires that are trying to do harm to humans. Though some may like the visual style, this doesn't have a great deal to offer, as we explain in our Van Helsing sniper Zx100 review.

3DS Retail Download

Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal World Duel Carnival (Konami, €39.95 / £34.99) — Bringing the TV series to 3DS, this is all about collectible cards and doing battle to improve your deck. There'll be 11 different playable characters and 40 appearing, in total, from the TV show.

One Piece Unlimited World Red (Bandai Namco, €34.99 / £28.49) — Available from 27th June.

Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D — (Konami, €19.99 / £17.99) — Released back in Spring 2012, this 3D re-make finally arrives as a download; you can read our retail Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D review to see what we think of this sneaky release.

3DS eShop Temporary Discounts

StreetPass Mii Plaza: StreetPass Squad (Nintendo, €3.99/ £3.59 until 13th July, normally €4.99 / £4.49)

StreetPass Mii Plaza: StreetPass Battle (Nintendo, €3.99/ £3.59 until 13th July, normally €4.99 / £4.49)

StreetPass Mii Plaza: StreetPass Garden (Nintendo, €3.99/ £3.59 until 13th July, normally €4.99 / £4.49)

StreetPass Mii Plaza: StreetPass Mansion (Nintendo, €3.99/ £3.59 until 13th July, normally €4.99 / £4.49)

StreetPass Mii Plaza: Combo-Pack (Nintendo, €9.99 / £8.99 until 13th July, normally €14.99 / £13.49)

Urban Trial Freestyle (Tate Media, €1.99 / £1.79 until 3rd July, normally €4.99 / £4.49)

3DS eShop Demo

Chibi-Robo! Let’s Go, Photo! (Nintendo, free) — With the full game on the way (on 3rd July) this demo will introduce you to this real world AR photography title.

DSiWare

Anne's Doll Studio: Lolita Collection (Gamebridge, 500 Nintendo Points) — This continues the doll dress-up series that previously haunted our reviewer's dreams. Here's hoping for a drastic improvement.

Anne's Doll Studio: Princess Collection (Gamebridge, 500 Nintendo Points) — See above.

Anne's Doll Studio: Antique Collection (Gamebridge, 500 Nintendo Points) — See above.

Another week down, European gamers. Let us know what you're planning to pick up in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (226 votes)

Wii Sports Club Boxing + Baseball (Wii U eShop)

24%

Blok Drop U (Wii U eShop)

Luv Me Buddies Wonderland (Wii U eShop)

Mario Power Tennis (Wii U Virtual Console)

One Piece Unlimited World Red (Wii U Retail Download)

Cocoro - Line Defender (3DS eShop)

Toy Stunt Bike (3DS eShop)

Parking Star 3D (3DS eShop)

Van Helsing sniper Zx100 (3DS eShop)

Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal World Duel Carnival (3DS retail download)

One Piece Unlimited World Red (3DS retail download)

Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D (3DS retail download)

StreetPass Mii Plaza: StreetPass Squad (3DS eShop temporary discount)

StreetPass Mii Plaza: StreetPass Battle (3DS eShop temporary discount)

StreetPass Mii Plaza: StreetPass Garden (3DS eShop temporary discount)

StreetPass Mii Plaza: StreetPass Mansion (3DS eShop temporary discount)

StreetPass Mii Plaza: Combo-Pack (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Urban Trial Freestyle (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Anne's Doll Studio: Lolita Collection (DSiWare)

Anne's Doll Studio: Princess Collection (DSiWare)

Anne's Doll Studio: Antique Collection (DSiWare)

Just the free demo for me

11%

Nothing for me this week

32%

Please login to vote in this poll.

outburst

outburst said:

Wii Sports Club! Still no Castlevania 3 NES on Wii U VC though. :( 1, 2, and 4 will remain on my wishlist until then.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

Mario Tennis! Nice to see they're keeping up with regular GBA releases.

DefHalan

DefHalan said:

I wonder if Wii Sports Club will also get some HD Resort games or if it is done

whodatninja

whodatninja said:

Nothing for me this week... But that's okay, I still have a huge back catalog of Nintendo games to get through

Shambo

Shambo said:

I'll buy the disc version of Sports Club, two motion plus controllers for boxing is all I needed to know! Accuracy, and no wires inbetween. I'm all in for that! Hopefully I'll finally get some true challenge online, since no one ever beat me at it so far :/

readyletsgo

readyletsgo said:

I'm interested in 'Toy Stunt Bike', loved Micro Machines back in the day.

I'll wait for Metal Gear to go on sale, €20 is still kinda too much to me.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

Maybe Streetpass Mansion, although Steam is somewhat more compelling a digital platform this week.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I am a bit disappointed that One Piece Unlimited World Red is so expensive on Wii U, I was hoping it would be around the 3DS version's current price, while the 3DS version would be cheaper. I'll be waiting on reviews for both versions as I don't watch the anime. I'm looking forward to Blok Drop U & Wii Sports Club Baseball.

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

Nothing for me this week, which is fine because steam sales are building my backlog up to the sky...

xj220_afiles

xj220_afiles said:

Metal Gear 3ds is now on E-shop, does that means that there is any chance to see it in Smash Bros again .. crossing finger >_<

burninmylight

burninmylight said:

@Shambo

That's a challenge I can't ignore, buddy. See you in the ring!

NNID: burninmylight

Disclaimer: I'm actually in the USA, but assuming we get the same two-for-one deal as Europe, which brings the digital package in line with the retail, I have to debate on which version to get (and wait until my allowance allows me to acquire it in the first place!). So, it could be a while. :(

Fidu21

Fidu21 said:

Oh man! i LOVE Mario Power Tennis for GBA. It's like a Tennis RPG. But with Mario! hope it's in the USA Eshop release too!!

Though, right now i'm busy. Just found out i have been an ambassador all along! downloaded the games i didn't know even had, still trying to beat Super Circuit, the steering is so different as to what i'm used to in the newer mario karts...

Dave24

Dave24 said:

PEGI should be banned, because it's worthless rating system.

Thanks to them we still have to wait for Shovel Knight god knows how long

Gnoll

Gnoll said:

I always wanted to try the Chibi-Robo series!!!! How much was the full game game priced in the States?

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

@Dave24 I'm confused. I thought the devs had the PEGI rating sorted and it was NOE lot check and translation the operations guide (or maybe even the game) that was the holdup.

@Gnoll Was $10. Do understand that this is the worst Chibi Robo entry and later on getting enough currency to buy film to take photos is horrible as the prices rise by a lot (to make the game longer). The terrible cameras on the 3DS don't help things and it is especially painful if you fail to take a photo the game wants you to take (you have to buy the film again and try again, no refund or discount for your failure).

manu0

manu0 said:

Darn it Nintendolife, I just thought GCN VC arrives with Mario Power Tennis! The GBA and GCN titles have the same name!

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

I like the way the final sports have been bundled together. Tempting......I guess a free trial will help me decide.
Like somebody posted above, will the sports resort games be given the hd treatment? If so, which ones or would it be a bundle. Personally I'd love to see them as little freebies, even if over time, as they were a little less 'fleshed out' but more fun- I want to see my arrow hit the bullseye in the gamepad 😉

Marshi

Marshi said:

@DefHalan Was thinking that too. Would be awesome to have some hd jet ski with new tracks,and mountain biking and ofcourse, frisbee throwing!

3Daniel

3Daniel said:

i recommend block drop u. its a fun time waster but INCREDIBLY short. if it ever drops below $1 that is. a few dozen levels is all you get.

Shambo

Shambo said:

@burninmylight If it's worldwide online (I read somewhere it's 'regional'?), I'll gladly take the challenge! I'll add you one of these days, NNID Shambo ;) It'll be a while before I play, since the disc version will be released next month I think?

Blue-Thunder

Blue-Thunder said:

I'm also holding out for the retail version of Wii sports club.

I really haven't been buying VC games the way I used to on Wii, I spent hundreds. It's probably to do with me hacking my other Wii :-) Why not? Oh yeah piracy :-(

Maybe if Nintendo had an accounts system like Sony I'd be more willing to splash the cash.

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

Definitely Mario Power Tennis, really liked that and Mario Golf Advance Tour, I hope the latter comes soon!

One huge positive about a lot of GBA games was the connectivity with GCN games (like beating Metroid Fusion unlocked the Fusion suit for Metroid Prime), this compatibility hasn't really been used since then which I have found pretty disappointing. Apparently there's some connectivity between Smash 3DS and Wii U but I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the form of Amiibo.

rjejr

rjejr said:

"Wii Sports Club — A free 48 hour trial for all players, which will activate the first time the game is loaded after the download of Boxing and Baseball."

Is it 48 hours after you start the game, or for next weekend June 28-29? I could have sworn I read something about a free weekend, though maybe that is when the disc releases?

RCMADIAX

RCMADIAX said:

Just an FYI, BLOK DROP U for Europe will launch with the new update already in place. You will get the improved graphics, sound effects, save options, and quick restart that the NA market didn't get at launch(but now has). :)

XyVoX

XyVoX said:

I think Urban Trial Freestyle looks good alot of fun especially at that price.

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

@manu0 if GCN support gets added, I'm sure NL will report it in a separate article entirely - but I'm just as sure that Nintendo would hype that up instead of just spontaneously releasing a GCN game.

manu0

manu0 said:

@ShadJV I wouldn't be so sure about the latter, Nintendo quietly released the first DS VC game without any fanfare.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

SNAKE EATER!!! Snake Eater is one of my all time favorite games, and my 32GB can easily add another huge game onto it.
Well worth it, especially since I've only played and broken a friends retail version.
(Broken as in Snake now had infinte ammo, invisibility and the ability not to be heard by enemies all at the same time.)

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

urban trial freestyle for 1,99€ is a steal! i got the game at an earlier discount for 5€ i think. played it for 10 hours till jow. level editor is really cool!

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@RCMADIAX

I saw the update yesterday and the difference with the original release is like night and day. It is clear that you listened to feedback and improved the game significantly. Great job! Looking forward to more puzzles!

Edit: what I noticed is that the sound effects are loud. I had to lower the TV's volume when compared to my other Wii U games.

ledreppe

ledreppe said:

I was really hoping for Shovel Knight this week. The comments say it's being localised for UK, so I'll just have to be a little more patient. Otherwise, nothing for me this week.

Yosher

Yosher said:

I'm probably the only one who prefers a Mario Tennis game with actual Mario characters over a game with tons of random human characters, even if they don't have an RPG story thingie. Don't think I'll pick it up. Doesn't even have Yoshi, damnit, that's a deal-breaker for me!

Definitely gonna try Urban Trial though, for that prize. I'd get the Wii Sports games too, but not gonna get 'em because I want them in retail.

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

@Yosher Although I do like the GBA version, I prefer the GCN version. There's more crazy stuff to do on that version (the Gimmick courts, lots of fun minigames like Vs Mecha Bowser. I don't think that version will come to VC though because a Wii "new play control" edition was made (this logic leads to my same prediction for Pikmin 1+2 and Metroid Prime 1+2).

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

@Jazzer94 €13 extremely disappointing...excuse me while I go off and rub that in the face of Americans complaining about the €3 discount on "Pullblox" World.

ZukutoBen

ZukutoBen said:

Not sure whether to get the boxing game just yet cause I'm just after buying a laptop,plus cover,plus a game controller and Portal on Steam.It's not that I haven't enough money it's just feel I'm spending too much in the one go.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

@Dave24 PEGI is actually the first rating system covered by most publishers, since it covers most of the strong gaming countries. It's the additional ratings that take so long (and way too much money).

@Philip_J_Reed Goodnight, sweet prince... sob

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

Still waiting for Game & Watch Gallery 3 on the 3DS VC :(

And some more decent indie games on the Wii U E-Shop....keep seeing all these 'coming soon' previews of fantastic looking games, but no firm release dates or appearances from any of them :(

smikey

smikey said:

I'll be getting block drop & mario tennis.
Waiting for the sports club disc version though might try the free trial with the kids if I get time.
Would be nice to see some of the sports resorts added to sports club but then I probably still wouldn't download them because they'd release the disc version as soon as I did.

Emblem

Emblem said:

@WiiLovePeace One Piece retail is £30 at amazon for straw hat edition. I don't like the anime enough to watch more than a few EPs but ive played through all the OP games so far with my brother who is crazy about them and they are good as stand alones even if you dont like the anime or manga.

I expect average reviews from the press and amazing to terrible reviews from the OP fans much like the other unlimited world games. Check the gamefaqs forums as many people there are playing the Japanese version that released last week.

3Daniel

3Daniel said:

@Prof_Clayton sweet. i definately recommend this game then for its 1.99 asking price. i love the open nature the physics lend to completing puzzels.

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

• Tengami
  • Shovel Knight
  • Oddworld New and Tasty
  • Shantae Pirate's Curse or something

Wake me up when one of these is released.:)

Emblem

Emblem said:

@Blue-Thunder Nintendo do have an account system... since 2012 on Wii U and 2013 on 3DS. You cannot move the account between consoles without contacting Nintendo, other than that its the same as Psn or xboxlive albeit in its adolescence. Obviously this is a counter to the cloning account trick people have been using for years to replicate digital games on psn & xlive.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Yay to boxing and baseball. I wouldn't normally be interested in a gamepad-only title like block drop u, but I have a couple of puzzle games that I play exclusively on it, so I'll add that and Pushmo!

Blue-Thunder

Blue-Thunder said:

@Emblem
I'm on second PS3 and all I had to do was log in and I could download everything I had on my fat PS3. I think Nintendo should loosen the reins a little. I know I wouldn't give anyone by log in details, no chance.

justinluey

justinluey said:

Boxing and Baseball were the sports I was least interested in, but the added gamepad support for Baseball and the "two for $10" price model makes it a no brainer. It also makes the retail game the same price as the digital, so the early adopters won't feel ripped off.

justinluey

justinluey said:

@DefHalan I think we'll see more Wii Sports Resort. They've already added the golf course from Wii Sports Resort to Wii Sports Club for free.

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

I guess it's finally time to update my streetpass plaza XP

Interested also in the Anime entries, but a game at time (<-- Lier).

Emblem

Emblem said:

@Blue-Thunder As i said other than the account transfer the system is the same as MS and Sony. They have an account system and it tracks every purchase you make and can be restored just the same. The difference is a 10-30 min phone call/email exchange as opposed to a 10-30sec self account transfer.

Don't get me wrong i'm all for it, i have so many harmonized eco-systems from steam to google chromecast/playbook etc and i love the ease that i can shuffle my accounts around. However i also know why Nintendo are hesitant to open it up when both Sony and MS have yet to find a counter to the exploits.

While you or i wouldn't share our accounts there are sites and forums that do this stuff on the daily and have been since inception, hell the biggest video game sites i visit have a communitys set up for it.

FritzFrapp

FritzFrapp said:

Chibi-robo at last returns to Europe after eight years! I'll have to go without food for a week to pay for the full game, but it'll be worth it.

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

I recommend mario tennis. Is pretty cool. I wonder if we will see the mario golf one too.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@Starwolf_UK

I agree. I stopped playing it after a few hours, exasperated of the many speed bumps you get to try to make the experience longer. Grinding for happy points, Chibi's battery that is worse than the Gamepad's and those random Nostalduds are a rip off of your hard earned currency.

@Frapp Please check reviews before you dip in, so you don't end up disappointed.

joey302

joey302 said:

vc on wii u continues to drip out.......will they ever get around to 2 a week??

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

Man I really want to play Snake eater. I tried it on the PS2 but the controls are too awkward so I stopped half way. Come one NA GIVE ME DEM DISCOUNTS. Don't let Gabe be the only one!!

Beta

Beta said:

Anyone know if One Piece Unlimited World Red will be a midnight release or not? Or if you get the DLC of the Straw Hat Edition if you bought it digital on the first day?

FragRed

FragRed said:

Now that theres GBA Virtual Console, has Nintendo given up on NES and SNES? Its like they have 1 or 2 people working on porting these games and thats it. So many games they should have done by now.

TuppuP

TuppuP said:

Damn, I would really like to play new Yu-Gi-Oh! at the release day, but I have to wait for retail copy to get the promo cards...

Shambo

Shambo said:

@burninmylight Nevermind, just tried the free trial, and the controls are WAY worse than the original. I don't get it, twice the Motion Plus, less than half the control over where you block, punch, evade,... Hooks work even less, and uppercuts may have been added, they work just as bad... Really disappointed :(

burninmylight

burninmylight said:

@Shambo

Well that's a darn shame! I'll have to go ahead and download the trial tonight to see for myself, but thanks for preparing me for massive disappointment. Double WiiMotion+ controls are what I've been dreaming about for years, so I can't believe they botched it. I hope there's still the option to use Wiimote and nunchuk.