E3 2014: Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker Announced for Wii U

Posted by Martin Watts

More star-hunting adventures to arrive on Wii U Holiday 2014

The Nintendo Digital Event has thrown up a few surprises already today, one of them being a new Wii U game called Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker.

Veterans of Super Mario 3D World will instantly recognise the concept behind this just-announced title; it's based on the Captain Toad mini-puzzles found in that game. Players have to control Captain Toad through a series of 3D mazes in search of treasure (unsurprisingly!). The game sports a similar visual style to its 3D platforming predecessor.

No other launch details were announced other than a Holiday 2014 release window.

SuperMalleo

SuperMalleo said:

I'm suprised that the game is based on a real NL user, sort of like Chris Houlihan from ALTTP! Wow!

datamonkey

datamonkey said:

When I was playing Mario 3D World I thought to myself how cool a full game of these levels would be and here it is!

I'm so gonna get this! :)

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

Hahah, after seeing numerous requests for this to be a full game, I'm shocked Nintendo did it. Of course, I'll happily get this.

Octane

Octane said:

Just this week I looked back at Capt. Toad's adventures in 3D World, and concluded that perhaps it was better that it didn't become it's own thing. Well, I take my words back, this looks great.

KillScottKill

KillScottKill said:

Are we sure this is even a stand alone? I feel like this could be SM3DW DLC. Like that game's version of New Super Luigi U.

jjmesa16

jjmesa16 said:

I'll probably pick this one up day one. Looks like a standalone game and not DLC for SM3DW.

Stubborn_Monkey

Stubborn_Monkey said:

Captain Toad: proving you don't need to know how to jump, attack, run, or just be able to do anything other than breathe and walk to star in a game. As someone who loved SM3DW, I'm perfectly okay with it.

This one looks like an eShop release.

dkxcalibur

dkxcalibur said:

I thinks it's a stand alone for sure, but is it a full retail or a eshop only game? I'm thinking it could go either way. I'm interested for sure. I liked the 3D World levels except that sometimes the gamepad camera didn't work as well as I would have liked. I often just used the control stick to aim the camera where I wanted to.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I was hoping for this to be real ever since I played the first Captain Toad's puzzle in SM3DW months ago! Sooooo glad my wish is coming true, those levels were great fun! It's like Nintendo has been reading my mind this E3! :D

Sherman

Sherman said:

Finally Toad gets the spotlight!! And it looks so awesome. Love puzzle games. Great concept. Just miss the old toad: He used to be fast, and his voice was way awesome in the N64 era.

WanderingPB

WanderingPB said:

I thought it was going to be a DLC to SM3DW but as a stand alone release…NICE! I honestly really enjoyed Capt Toad and wished they would expand on this…how does Nintendo keep listening to its fans…im scared

Seren77

Seren77 said:

was hoping we'd see more captain toad, and these levels look so much more fun, excited.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I was literally shaking when this game was being revealed. I enjoyed the Captain Toad levels and Captain Toad himself is pretty cool. The fire dragon boss battle is epic!

rjejr

rjejr said:

The game looked really great, showing off the Wii U's power, but I still can't help but think this is exactly the type of mini-level game that they could do on tablets to get some advertising for the Wii U. I cant believe any person alive would not buy a Wii U b/c they could get Capt Toad on their smartphone. But Nitnedo could give it away for 99c and use it as marketing for SM3DW.

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

This is on my secondary list now, as in if I manage to get all my primary titles and I happen to have extra cash left. I liked the Captain Toad levels, but I am not sure I could play 64+ levels of it.

mamp

mamp said:

This was the only unexpected games that got me seriously hyped. OMG can't wait for it!!!

nf_2

nf_2 said:

I'm hoping this is for the eShop. I really want this but I won't pay $60 for this (or $40 if it's a "budget" title).

Henmii

Henmii said:

Cool that they expanded the Toad captain idea. And its with the same visual flair (and with bosses from the look of it). Looks good!

JarredBuzzo

JarredBuzzo said:

I love how every new first party game is now considered "meant for tablets/smartphones." Funny how the talking point of a few analysts is the overarching narrative when it comes to Nintendo. Just enjoy the games for what they are, and for what system they're on instead of dreaming they're going to come out somewhere else.

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

My little brother is going to love this. He made a Miiverse post requesting "Super Toad Bros."

I wonder if this will have multiplayer of any kind.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

This looks like an awesome game but it's hard to justify paying $59.99 retail for it. Hopefully this comes out as a budget retail title or eShop download.

Hortencio

Hortencio said:

This game came out of nowhere (for me) and is probably the game I'm most excited for! I'm just hoping it will be both challenging and reasonably lengthy; I'd happily pay $60 retail for a 15+ hr. campaign with Zack & Wiki-caliber puzzles. Love how he pulls up turnips and coins, like a real 3D Mario Bros. 2...

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

First Luigi got a light starring role in Mario is Missing then upgraded to a full role in Luigi's Mansion. Now after only starring in Wario's Woods, Toad gets his big break. I hoped long ago, but never thought I'd see it happen for Toad.

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

Welp, I sure don't care. I'll be passing on this one. Apparently, a bunch of people wanted that junk as a full game. Good for them, I guess.

Mahe

Mahe said:

@Genesaur Yup. Bad for the people that wanted Nintendo to make actually interesting games, though. Instead, they just throw shovelware like this out there.

GreatPlayer

GreatPlayer said:

Please, do not make the game like Toki Lori. Perhaps some people like it but the gameplay is simply too slow for me.

ReaperX30

ReaperX30 said:

Of all the games I've seen at E3 there's 2 that got my attention: The first one is Bloodborne since I'm a big Souls fan and the second is this one. I like the visuals and the isometric style. Looking at the trailer during the E3 show intrigued me and put a smile on my face. Can't wait to try it.

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

@Mahe You know this came from 3d world right? (that game got pretty great reviews) And believe it or not there were people that in fact liked the captain toad levels. Have you even played it?