Nintendo Download: 10th April (Europe)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Batman, GBA goodies, The Hobbit, poker, discounts and more

It's that time again, Europe, as Nintendo kicks off our Monday with news of the download goodies that we can look forward to later in the week. This time around we have new games on the Wii U and 3DS eShop stores, more GBA treats on the home console, a major retail release across both systems and a host of discounts. Let's get to the details.

Wii U eShop

Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - Deluxe Edition (WB Games, €19.99 / £15.99) — This is an enhanced HD port of the 3DS original, a 2.5D action game that borrows elements from the 3D games and serves up a story that follows on from Batman: Arkham Origins. We weren't particularly impressed in our review of the 3DS version, but will 'be Batman' again for a review of this updated release.

Wii U Virtual Console

Kirby & The Amazing Mirror (Nintendo, €6.99 / £6.29) — While some may expect any 2D platforming Kirby title to follow a set formula, this GBA entry does experiment a fair amount. There are elements of exploration and backtracking, along with three extra Kirby characters that can be summoned on a cellphone; rather than simply getting from A to B, you're expected to seek out secrets and find hidden exits. In our previous Kirby & The Amazing Mirror 3DS ambassador programme review we felt these ideas were flawed in execution, though it salvaged a guarded recommendation on the usual Kirby charm being present and correct. We'll give this another whirl.

WarioWare, Inc.: Minigame Mania (Nintendo, €6.99 / £6.29) — Wario has starred in some excellent 2D action platformers, but some know him as the master of wacky, quick-fire minigames. This GBA entry delivered just that, as you progress through a whole lot of breathless, bonkers minigames for the simple purpose of having fun. We absolutely loved this one's bite-sized insanity in our previous WarioWare, Inc.: Minigame Mania review, and will jump in again on Wii U.

Wii U Retail Download

LEGO The Hobbit (WB Games, €49.99 / £39.99) — Available from 11th April.

Wii U eShop Temporary Discount

DuckTales: Remastered (Capcom, €7.49 / £5.99 until 17th April, normally €14.99 / £11.99)

TNT Racers - Nitro Machines Edition (Keen Games, €4.99 / £4.49 until 24th April, normally €7.99 / £6.99)

3DS eShop

Governor of Poker (Teyon, €4.99 / £4.49) — This is the latest download from the prolific Teyon, and a port of a previous release on PC, Mac, Facebook, Android and iOS. As the title suggests you play and win in poker matches while working through the challenge of using winnings to buy resources and, eventually, towns in order to take over Texas. We'll see what hand it deals us in our upcoming review.

Mystery Case Files: Ravenhearst (MSL, €11.99 / £10.79) — This hidden-object game was originally released at retail in Europe in 2013, which is a port of a DS title which is a port of a PC release. That aside, while the genre is popular this title isn't top of its class, doing a competent job with some flaws dragging particular areas down; you can check out our Mystery Case Files: Ravenhearst review if you want to know more.

Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove (MSL, €11.99 / £10.79) — We anticipate this'll be similar to the Ravenhearst entry, albeit with a new setting and plot. We'll search for the truth in our upcoming review.

3DS Retail Download

LEGO The Hobbit (WB Games, €39.99 / £34.99) — Available from 11th April.

3DS eShop Temporary Discounts

4 Elements (MSL, €5.99 / £5.39 until 8th May, normally €12.00 / £10.79)

Jewel Quest 4 Heritage (MSL, €5.99 / £5.39 until 8th May, normally €11.99 / £10.79)

Luxor (MSL, €5.99 / £5.39 until 8th May, normally €11.99 / £10.79)

Jewel Quest Mysteries 3: The Seventh Gate (MSL, €5.99 / £5.39 until 8th May, normally €11.99 / £10.79)

Secret Mysteries in London (MSL, €5.99 / £5.39 until 8th May, normally €11.99 / £10.79)

3DS eShop Permanent Discounts

Myst (Funbox Media, €9.99 / £8.99, was €13.99 / £12.59)

Urban Trial Freestyle (Tate Multimedia, €4.99 / £4.49, was €6.99 / £6.29)

Those are the European download choices this week. Let us know what you're planning to pick up in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (230 votes)

Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - Deluxe Edition (Wii U eShop)

11%

Kirby & The Amazing Mirror (Wii U Virtual Console)

12%

WarioWare, Inc.: Minigame Mania (Wii U Virtual Console)

13%

LEGO The Hobbit (Wii U retail download)

DuckTales: Remastered (Wii U eShop temporary discount)

11%

TNT Racers - Nitro Machines Edition (Wii U eShop temporary discount)

Governor of Poker (3DS eShop)

Mystery Case Files: Ravenhearst (3DS eShop)

Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove (3DS eShop)

LEGO The Hobbit (3DS retail download)

4 Elements (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Jewel Quest 4 Heritage (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Luxor (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Jewel Quest Mysteries 3: The Seventh Gate (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Secret Mysteries in London (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Myst (3DS eShop permanent discount)

Urban Trial Freestyle (3DS eShop permanent discount)

Nothing for me this week

48%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Ricube

Ricube said:

Ouh... second vote. The ducktales discount may be the chance to get it!

SirMime

SirMime said:

Kirby and Warioware for me. Loving the GBA games on the Virtual console.

FritzFrapp

FritzFrapp said:

The first Warioware game was stellar. I'd definitely be downloading that if I didn't already have it on GBA.

Liquid_ice

Liquid_ice said:

Hmm, I wonder if Urban Trial Freestyle is worth the price... Then again, I have lots of other games on my Watch List, so I think I'll pass.

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

Nothing for me this week, even if I'll have to download some GBA games soon or later XP

Curious to read the Batman review... Not interested in the game itself, but seeing a 3DS game ported to WiiU at that price sounds "interesting", maybe something to hope to see more often in future IF the ports are made properly.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

@whodatninja It seems GBA VC releases are replacing all the other usual VC releases shame as I thought that we would get them side by side.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

So besides the GBA games, there are no new VC games for either system yet again. A shame really.

ledreppe

ledreppe said:

Was hoping Scram Kitty would come out this week. Oh well, maybe next week. Got both VC games, already got Duck Tales (maybe shoud've waited for price drop though), getting Hobbit on disc and don't care for Batman.

In the meantime: nothing for me.

Jese_1

Jese_1 said:

Already have Kirby from the ambassador programme, but I'll gladly double dip to be able to play it on the TV :)

TurretGunZ

TurretGunZ said:

Did you really have to say that poopoodoodoocacapoopledoopledoodoo about Amazing Mirror? Just say its coming to the ESHOP and leave it at that.
Profanity is not appropriate here, and directed toward members of staff less so. Please tread carefully — TBD

Emblem

Emblem said:

Nothing for me this week, next week looks promising though with NES Remix 2 and some eshop titles coming.

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

Said I'd buy ducktales when it dropped below a fiver....an extra 99p wont hurt ;). I won't however be buying any GBA games until I can get them for £5 or less, others may differ but to me they aren't worth more. At two for £10......I'd have bought 6 already!!!

FritzFrapp

FritzFrapp said:

@Jazzer94
That's a point. Like you, and others in the PAL region, I had to import the brilliant Twisted. I wonder... with the gyros in the Wii U Gamepad, could that game finally arrive on our shores in VC form?

smikey

smikey said:

Batman, wario & kirby for me + (lego hobbit wii u retail disc)
Wario is my most wanted of the four is wario I do own the GBA cart like but for me the vc lets me keep the collection in the collection & play on the gamepad too which I much prefer as well as letting the young kids play some of the classics without touching my originals.

already got ducktales (wasn't much of a fan but it's ok & tnt racers reminds me a lot of micro machines if not quite as much fun)

Mahe

Mahe said:

WarioWare is a great game, but I already have several copies of it (GBA, GC, 3DS Ambassador). Nothing for me then.

@Frapp That would be great, but it would require some special engineering. It could work with just a Wiimote, too.

ArcanineArco

ArcanineArco said:

I have been looking at Ducktales: Remastered for a good while but was reluctant to pay £12 since I haven't played the original and have no nostalgic pull to it. Now with this price drop, I will be picking that game up for sure :)

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

@BakaKnight played a demo for it on ps3 and it convinced me to get it on wii u. It uses the graphic engine from arkham origins. And plays really well. And is only £16!

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

Nothing here again, still massively limiting what I buy due to getting all the GH DLC I didn't have before it got removed. When I get enough money though I'll get Metroid Fusion (from last week) and WarioWare.

Viagro

Viagro said:

Was really hoping we'd get a surprise Moon Chronicles release this week.

Marshi

Marshi said:

While I voted for "nothing this week" im impressed with the turnaround the wiiu eshop is getting. A decent hd update to a great 3ds game,2 WORTHY vc games and a retail release no less. I hope nintendo keeps up the momentum and gives us a smash demo after the direct

darkswabber

darkswabber said:

Actually wanted to buy batman arkham origins blackgate last week. But since it got delayed i spended my last eshop money on mario and luigi superstar saga and on pokemon link. Not planning to buy a new eshop card, I'm saving my money for tes online on ps4 and minecraft on ps4, Also a bit for octodad ps4. Sorry Nintendo, but my wiiU is now a console meant for VC titles and for mario kart and ssb.

FX102A

FX102A said:

Already bought Ducktales last time it was on sale so nothing this week.

And that's good because this month has been expensive enough.

whodatninja

whodatninja said:

@Jazzer94 Yeah it's really annoying. I don't really want to buy Game Boy games for the Wii U. I'd rather want more console titles!

(such an odd decision on Ninty's part)

And to those who say "Ugh, just get it on the old Wii VC": If i cant play it on the Wii U Gamepad then it doesn't count!

MAB

MAB said:

Looks like those '3DS only' supporters can keep playing their Flappy Bird Mania Christmas 3D for the rest of this year ;)

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

I'm waiting on Golden Sun next week :) And err money to buy it with :p

Nothing special this week (aside from Wario and Kirby perhaps) though I might get Urban Trial Freestyle.

Off-topic: I wish we'd get Monument Valley on 3DS or Wii U. Would be a perfect fit. Man that game is stylish and enchanting.

readyletsgo

readyletsgo said:

Hmm, maybe Batman, really not sure. Hope the review comes out before Thursday. No GBA VC games for me, have them already.

I had hoped they would keep up the release's of other VC games along-side the GBA games, guess not, typical Nintendo, cant keep up.

rolls eyes, again

hiptanaka

hiptanaka said:

Dark Souls 2 and Metroid: Fusion will keep me busy this week. Metroid: Fusion is better than I remembered it.

shaneoh

shaneoh said:

Due to an expensive LEGO Movie weekend nothing for me. But will probably get Wario & Batman at a later point. Haven't thought much of Amazing Mirror

readyletsgo

readyletsgo said:

@pukka-pie haha I dont you will see them on the Wii U VC any time soon. It will be GBA game up to the Summer then DS games which we can all get already very cheaply, so, I dont see the point of DS VC right now.

Bring 3DS to the VC to the Wii U, Nintendo!!! :-p

MussakkuLaden

MussakkuLaden said:

Uhm, nothing for me this week. Wario Ware is highly recommended and perhaps the best part in the series, but I own it already. Kirby, meh. The Duck Tales discount is nice, but surely won't be the last the game receives. As I'm still busy with Mario & Luigi for a while, I will wait for a future discount of this interesting game.

element187

element187 said:

@Marshi I don't think Nintendo would ever do a demo for their more popular franchises.... I guess the idea is that you've played all the previous entries you pretty much know what to expect.

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

Nothing interest me so far. Still waiting for Liberation Maiden to go on sale thought my patients is not doing so well. I bet the time I do get it, it will go on sale the next week.

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

Nothing this week. Have both GBA games on 3DS already. Still playing Mario and Luigi from last week though, so can't complain too much.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@hiptanaka There is problems with the Wii emulation as well. Particularly Neo Geo using 320x224 and Megadrive / TG16 with those awful filters. Not to mention the 50hz problem and the lack of scanlines on SNES. It is bad because there is never going to be a system that is reasonable to connect a CRT to again.

Game-Over

Game-Over said:

Mostly GBA games again, is this the future of the VC?, playing handheld games on a next generation home system. The more u look at it it's hard to understand handheld games on the Wii U VC it's like a strange backward step in the sense that the magic of the handheld was really to give u slightly inferior minimized home console games that u could play mobile in the palm of ur hands, thats the selling point, that should'nt be a selling point of a next generation home console. Home console versions of games are better, the only thing that makes the hand held mobile experience advantageous is that u can take it with u like with films and music etc... but like that the Wii U is'nt a mobile device. GBA is on the VC and that's fair enough but should'nt the Wii U be more about home console releases, i don't want mobile versions of games i have a mobile phone for that, i bought a home console because i want home console versions of games.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

A permanent price reduction on the worst port of Myst.

@SilentHunter382 You missed the sale a few months ago on Liberation Maiden? (when Weapon shop came out) That sucks. Having played the game I'd say, keep waiting for a sale. The story mode is literally 45 minutes (but going for unlockables which explain more of the world, will take some time).

Game-Over

Game-Over said:

hiptanka...Yeah the old Wii VC games were mostly full screen i'm not seeing this with the Wii U maybe it's because it's HD or is it that's it's matching whats on the gamepad screen. To find that the gamepad screen is actually limiting what ur seeing on ur hd tv would be quite disappointing. It could be too that the gamepad screen is the the reason were not seeing certain games and consoles coming to the VC and why theirs a focus now on GBA games. I like the gamepad and the Wii U console as a whole but I bought the Wii U mainly for the VC being that the old Wii VC is so good but i'm getting the feeling that the new VC may actually be more limited then the old one. I hope i'm proven wrong.

hiptanaka

hiptanaka said:

@Game-Over

I don't agree with the sentiment that handheld games are "slightly inferior home console games". I enjoy Metroid: Fusion more than most full-blown console games and I'm glad I can play it on my TV. It looks great.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

lol. People complain about the VC getting 1 NES game a week and that it needs more. Now that GBA games came, we get 3 last week, 2 this week and what do you know? People complain.

Heng-Yu

Heng-Yu said:

@hiptanaka

But the GBA version of SNES games were usually inferior. Hardly any exception comes to my mind. With the SNES version you usually got the higher resolution and better sound. For some games like the Breath of Fire games they threw in some additional pictures, but the beforementioned drawbacks were there as well. I know Nintendo wants to promote that whole GBA thing but it would actually better to get the SNES version of those games that were released for SNES before or at least give you the choice.

What grinds my gears is that this is the second week without 3DS VC games... I guess some fanboy has to explain to me, why that is a very good move from Nintendo.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

@Heng-Yu
there is only one game there on that list that is also on the SNES. so to say that we should get the SNES version, yeah it might be better but for one title while the rest you cannot get. I'll gladly make that sacrifice for that one title that is slightly inferior to get games such as metroid fusion, Mario and Luigi and Golden Sun which you cannot get on the SNES. It is not like that many SNES games were put on to the GBA to begin with.

Marshi

Marshi said:

@element187 I think you will be right. But what a crappy attitude for nintendo to have if thats the case! What about the people who have never played a smash bros game? What about all the potential new fans to a nintendo system? I hope you are wrong,but its a fools hope!

Marshi

Marshi said:

@ikki5 I would like to complain at your insessent complaining regarding all the other complainers complaints. And in complaining about you complaining about complainers you will no doubt complain about my complaint too! ;-)

Game-Over

Game-Over said:

hiptanka...Forgive my ignorance when it comes to handheld systems and games i have played on handhelds but never owned one as i've always had a preference for home consoles, thus my purcahse of a Wii U. That's really the point, the GBA on the VC is no bad thing and playing on the gamepad screen is a nice option but like that u buy a home console to play games that were made for a tv screen not a handheld one.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

@Marshi
except you are calling my statement about trying to understand why people are complaining when they want something, they get it and still complain.... and this somehow a complaint? I don't see any kind of expressing dissatisfaction in my statement at all. If you considered that a complaint, than by your own logic, anyone who questions or calls out anyone is complaining.

Marshi

Marshi said:

@ikki5 take it easy dude I was just joking and seeing how many times I could say "complain"! I actually agree with you. Gamers are NEVER happ

Game-Over

Game-Over said:

I rarely like the visuals or the button bashing gameplay they use for super hero type games like Batman. Theirs always a tendency for a movie like adaptation of the character rather then a comic book one which is a pity when u think of all the source material that's their from the great comic book artists and writers that built the Batman character. I'd love to see a Batman game that had an authentic comic book look and feel to it.

MeWario

MeWario said:

Made the mistake of selling Warioware years ago and it's time to rectify!!!

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

Amazing Mirror is hands-down the best Kirby game ever. I thought the Metroidvania design really meshed well with Kirby due to all of the power-ups you get.

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

I hate the fact that Nintendo are giving us the GBA versions of Yoshi's Island and WarioWare when they could have released the full console releases of these titles that were originally developed for the SNES and GameCube respectively. :/

JustinH

JustinH said:

Great price on Ducktales, Europeans. Sorry to see you aren't getting the majesty that is My Exotic Farm.

Monsti

Monsti said:

Two more weeks of GBA games and we'll never hear of that again. Just like any other console on VC...

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

The Ducktales discount is great, shame I already got it last year for PC. Also the Batman game could be ok, but I shall read the reviews first.

Have to say that Arkham City for Wii U is really great, that's one game that I already owned on PC, but the Wii U version really enhances the gameplay nicely.