Play: Mario Kart 7 with Nintendo Life - The Return

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Start your engines

At the dawn of time Nintendo Life arranged community nights of online Mario Kart 7, and the gamers were happy. And lo, the ceremonies were ended in favour of seeking new forms of entertainment, exploring the world of online Nintendo gaming and seeking places where all could meet, unite as one, and compete in fun games. So began a lengthy and fruitless journey, before all returned back to the original homeland, and the sweet embrace of portable kart racing...

OK, we're being silly, but it has been ages since we last did this. The hope is that the upcoming Mario Kart 8 will give those of us with Wii U systems a game where we can meet in our own dedicated community areas but, until then, the charms of its predecessor will do the trick. Provided we all have enough fun — and actually show up — for this jamboree, we'll make this a regular occurrence; we'll maybe even invite some special guests in the future.

So today at 9pm UK time, 10pm Central European, 4pm Eastern US, 3pm Central US and 1pm Pacific US, the 'NLife All Items' community room will be back in action; that was your choice in the community vote. Quite a few of the Nintendo Life staff will be in attendance at various times to race, and we're hoping you'll join us; yes, the Battle Room is also an option, but this often struggles for numbers.

NLife All Items (150cc races) — 00-2104-5343-9763
NLife Battles — 63-1489-1510-4932

If you want to know how to get into these Community rooms, check out our official and oh-so-serious guide below.

In order to get started with some Mario Kart 7 awesomeness with fellow Nintendo Lifers, simply open the game, select Online Multiplayer and then Communities. If you've played with us before you may have 'NLife All Items' in your list of favourites. If not, select Enter Code and input 00-2104-5343-9763. This is a 150cc all items room, so it may get chaotic. For Battles follow the same steps as above, but input code 63-1489-1510-4932.

Now, it's common to experience connection problems with Mario Kart 7 communities, and if you don't then we can only imagine that you're hard-wired directly into Nintendo's servers. If you do have problems connecting or receive an error message, make sure your wireless is on and position yourself as close as possible to your internet router. Please be patient and keep trying, because more often than not you will eventually get in.

There may be more than one room open at once, so remember the basic rules. Play nice, and if someone annoys you settle it like grown-ups... out on the track. Please be considerate to others in the lobby area, and only start the race when there are enough racers and everyone's ready.

We hope you'll join us for some Mario Kart mayhem; we'll be checking the comments below, tweeting extensively on our Twitter page and getting up to all sorts of shenanigans in the game itself. If you are tweeting, be sure to stick #NLracenight in your messages.

See you on the track.

DRLAdmin

DRL said:

I'm going to get some practice in now so I don't embarrass myself too badly. See you guys in a bit! :)

SquidzillaStaff

Squidzilla said:

I would set into training, but I'm going to be spending the next half hour actually LOOKING for my copy...

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

Awesome, I'll probably lose every race because i haven't played this game for months, but that doesn't mean I won't try!

LunarHalo24

LunarHalo24 said:

I'll be there! I'm probably not gonna do very well but I might as well join in for the fun of it.

Falchion

Falchion said:

I thought it was gonna be about Mario Kart 8. I am really looking forward to that though.

idork99

idork99 said:

Like my avatar, I am on cloud 9! I've had so much fun in the past so I'm happy to see this community active again!

Question to all: Would it be appropriate to post the community code on ones Miiverse account to invite more players or just keep it amongst fellow NLife staff and readers?

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@idork99 The more the merrier, so that's fine for Miiverse :) I don't know what Nintendo's policy is with these codes, so whether you try it is up to you!

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I may join after I get home. Or I will join next week, month, or whenever you plan to make them. I need to practice a lot to have a chance to be at least the next to last racer.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Not long now. Watch out for me; my real name is Devin and I'll be playing Donkey Kong!

Gioku said:

It's the last day of the semester, this is the last class of the day; we're not doing anything. I'm gonna see if my 3DS can get the internet here! :D

...otherwise see you guys on the tracks in an hour or so! :)

DreamyViridi

DreamyViridi said:

I need to let out some relief now that my exam period is over. Blue Shells be flyin'. It's party time!

Tsukun

Tsukun said:

I haven't played in some time. I forgot how fun it can be to play with communities like this!

I'll be Gıοκυ, and I'll be driving in this:
Untitled

...unfortunately, my 3DS can't get the internet here at school, so I'll be jumping in sometime around 2:30 PST. Seeya then everyone! :)

HaastMK7

HaastMK7 said:

I cant be bothered doing this again, cause I leaded it last time, meh might as well.

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

Thanks for kicking my butt everyone. =) Its what I get for not practicing.
Could only stick around for one series, gotta go shopping with the wife, have a blast NL!

Konata

Konata said:

I just had to have an errand to do pop up right before this starts >_<.

If I come back soon I'll be sure to join.

DRLAdmin

DRL said:

I keep experiencing connection issues. Haven't been able to get into a race yet. :/

HaastMK7

HaastMK7 said:

Player Name: κε★Hααsτ
Stars: 3
Country: New Zealand (I hid my flag)
Position: No.1 in NZL

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Is there any tracks that are like Burning Depths in All Stars Racing. (The track is such that the items are not the deciding factor.) I have a copy but it is 3 miles away.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

WAHAHA! Lightning and my own green shell couldn't stop me from getting 1st!

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

Tied second in the GP with Luigi Man! Awesome! And somehow won my first race since August...

DRLAdmin

DRL said:

I came in 2nd to Michi in that one! Nice racing, everyone!

Tsukun

Tsukun said:

Whoops. accidentally left the group I was playing with. Ah well. It was a lot of fun playin' with you guys! I was Wiggler!

mystman12

mystman12 said:

Wow! I was in koopa cape and went so fast I flew up out if the pipe and the water! :O

mystman12

mystman12 said:

3rd two cups in a row! Not perfect, but still. I'm gonna reconnect to try and get a new group.

HaastMK7

HaastMK7 said:

lol everyone got stuck in the train but i dodged using short cut, come on guys, common sense...

MeddlingIdiotStaff

MeddlingIdiot said:

Cheers guys, got to be off now unfortunately. Probably not a moment too soon though considering I was getting absolutely trounced! :-)

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

Is it just me, or are people just way more evil with their items in 7 than they are in Wii? Anyway, joint last with 10 points...

DRLAdmin

DRL said:

This is quite possibly the most fun I've ever had while losing.

jreed3842

jreed3842 said:

Wow. Managed to get third at the Airship Fortress, I was freakin' last the whole time. Managed to pull through at the last second!

K-Gamer

K-Gamer said:

Idk anything about Mario Kart 7 but if Mario kart wii teached me anything, it's that Japenese racers take there mario kart very seriously.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I got 2nd on Bowser's Castle and tied for third place overall the session. I was extremely close to getting Bob-ombed!

jreed3842

jreed3842 said:

Dang, Joe! If you're reading this... Congrats at the victory at Airship Fortress! I couldn't keep up!

DreamyViridi

DreamyViridi said:

Heh heh. Outside of Blue Shells and my signature bad luck, I do pretty good. Think I'll go for one more round just to get over 100 pts total.

mystman12

mystman12 said:

I hate it when people start without asking first. It's kind of a weird system because anyone can start it and people don't even have to vote or anything.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

Great, I forgot about this :/

Coming on now... for revenge!!!! (even though it was my fault).

zipmonStaff

zipmon said:

Bullet Bill on SNES Rainbow Road AKA "PLEASE don't give out on the corner!" O_O;

bouncer0304

bouncer0304 said:

Sorry for leaving earlier- my brother wanted to put the bed down in the parlour. Beat Thomas though ;-)

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

Oops, picked the same track twice because I was distracted, sorry if you were in my room!

DreamyViridi

DreamyViridi said:

@Bulbousaur - Close indeed! Good games guys, but I'm gonna call it a day now before the bad luck REALLY kicks in.
To those still racing or just starting, have fun and good luck! :)

mystman12

mystman12 said:

Ya know, I like pinball, and I like waluigi, but sometimes I just can't stand Waluigi Pinball. I just got hit by a pinball twice in a row on the last lap.

jreed3842

jreed3842 said:

Woo-hoo first overall... But I just barely beat Joe! I gotta say, Joe... You're pretty damn good!

AJTsuki

AJTsuki said:

Thanks for running this... had a lot fun playing earlier! Sorry I'm not very good. I've forgotten so much!

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

5th in that room... Think I'm gonna call it a night... Good games, gotta get more practise in for the next NL Mario Kart event!

SquidzillaStaff

Squidzilla said:

I think I gotta bow out not so gracefully. Thanks for some great races everyone! I think I maybe came close to almost winning one or two, almost! Great night :)

jreed3842

jreed3842 said:

First place at SNES Rainbow Road and tied for 2nd overall! Not a bad way to end my time racing! I had fun! Good game to everyone I raced!

Gioku said:

Who was the other Rosalina? Highlight for me was ricochet Bob-Omb to hit you! :D

LunarHalo24

LunarHalo24 said:

I was in first on Waluigi Pinball, but I got hit by the pinballs twice, and got red shell'd. Still ended up in second though, but I was pretty far in first. ^^;

ShockeyRai

ShockeyRai said:

I think i'll call it for today, I need to recharge my 3DS after playing for awhile anyways. XD
Ugh, I finished 2nd on Luigi Raceway then completely went DOWNHILL finishing in last the last 3 races X_x

Gioku said:

Wow, hit my own banana peel and got royally screwed, hahaha. Hope I do better this race!

OK, 1st. I've been redeemed. :P

...hit other Rosalina with another Bob-Omb, too. :P

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I got disconnected and decided to stop. I've had fun and I hope NL does this again soon!

Guovssohas

Guovssohas said:

It was great fun, BUT, i kept disconnecting :( At least in 4 cups i DC'ed in the last race and probably lost the points, VERY frustrating :(

Tsukun

Tsukun said:

Had a lot of fun racing but I'm done for now. good games to everyone I raced with!

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

Awesome stuff everyone. It's late (and it's been a long day!) for me here in old Blighty, but keep playing until you can't race any more! We'll certainly be doing this again, too.

mystman12

mystman12 said:

I was racing on Wuhu loop and decided to try and hop across the pillars. I had a bullet bill just in case I fell. So I hit the first speed boost and went over the second pillar, but not far enough to land on the last one, so I used my bullet bill, but it just started shoving it's face against the side of the last pillar, and when it was done just dropped me in the water. It was a Troll-et Bill! :P

Gioku said:

Oh... yeah. It's not letting me send messages either! ...oh wait, here it goes. More people! :D

Gioku said:

Hmm... didn't do so well that time... I blame same track twice in a row! :P

Chomposaur

Chomposaur said:

Great turnout i got 70 points after playing for only an hour

"Apocalypse" Really was a thorn in my side lol

You should host more community meetups every other week or month :-)

DRLAdmin

DRL said:

I keep getting my butt kicked. I wonder how many of you I've played with? I'm playing as Dave and always with a Mii.

Gioku said:

Wow, I did better than expected! Yoshi and Lakitu knocked each other out so I got 2nd! :D

Squashy

Squashy said:

Oh blast I completely forgot about this! I really wanted to join in as well. Drat, drat and double drat! I'll have to make sure I don't miss the next one!

Gioku said:

Hey good game people! (@Jazzer94)!

...I had to stop for a second; I'm playing my 3DS and have my laptop on my lap at the same time, in the middle of the last race my computer crashed so I had to stop for a moment to get that figured out; now I'm ready to continue. :)

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

Oh my goodness. I have been playing for over an hour. I am the absolute worst... I didn't realize that everyone was so pro... Wow.

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

Also, I think that I have noticed a cheater. I threw a red shell at this guy at first he it kept on following him, and he was just freaking out but it wasn't effecting his speed. He was like a maniac with the red shell noise still occurring. It is very odd.

Gioku said:

Dang. First Blue Shell all day to cost me a win! I'm usually good a coming back from those...

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

Haven't been on a Nintendo Life comment page in a looooonngg time. GGs to all I played earlier in the rooms I was in. I go by the name of GB*LUIGI on Mario Kart 7 . The * is a Dark Star symbol btw. Hopefully I can make it back for more races a bit later.

ARGH. I hate that track!

...and that was utterly bizarre, I hit myself with a blue shell! :O

...I figured, since I had it, I must not have been in first, but... apparently I got it in first! :O

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

@HaastMK7

Nothing really, just my own way of paying a bit of respect to the old ORIGINAL GAME BOY. I'm kind of a GAME BOY nut to the old brick portable.

Gioku said:

Alright, taking a break, guys. My ability seems to be wearing down, I've acquired a headache, and I did get past 100 points. Might be back a bit later.

Good games, everyone! :)

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

7th with 199 points from all my races tonight combined. Not bad at all! 3DS is flashing red so it's time for me to stop. GGs to everyone I played with, a big thanks to the organizers of this event and I look forward to the next community night.

AlbertoC

AlbertoC said:

Joined in for some races.

Hadn't played this in a while. I undoubtedly have lost some charm... Yet I still can defend myself. Hopefully i can join you NL staff in the future. It was pretty good nonetheless.

r3my

r3my said:

Jumped on around 4pmEST for a quick round and got my tail handed to me, ha!

yokokazuo

yokokazuo said:

First time playing in the Nintendo Life community, but I enjoyed racing today(despite doing rather horrible >.<). Hope to see these again, perhaps with Mario Kart 8 too.

Konata

Konata said:

I finally made it! I had some problems connecting but it's finally working.

tom_q

tom_q said:

Does anybody have a community that races a lot? I had a lot of fun last night and I didn't even need to do the walk of shame this morning.

KevTastic84

KevTastic84 said:

My boy Nero1000 does a lot of community race nights. He streams them all live on twitch. Worth joining in sometime. Its a lot of fun.

Inkling

Inkling said:

If I can join (my 3DS is taking a while...)
I'll be:
Name: Tom
Character: Mii
Kart: Various ;)

Saga

Saga said:

Woohoo ! I haven't played this game in ages !
I am really looking forward to the next MK7 session !