Nintendo Download: 28th November (North America)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

SEGA Classics go 3D, discounted Mario, touring the Louvre and more

It's Nintendo Download time again, North America, and this week brings a fairly diverse range of options. We have plenty of retro goodies on the Wii U eShop, reduced retro Mario on both Wii U and 3DS, revived SEGA classics on the 3DS as well as a tour of the iconic Louvre museum. Throw in some Pokémon shows alongside other downloads and there's plenty to choose from, so let's get to it.

Wii U Virtual Console

Contra III: The Alien Wars (Konami, $7.99) — A slightly odd arrival due to the fact that this title's NES predecessor is yet to blast onto the Wii U Virtual Console, but a welcome one nonetheless for those that enjoy some fast-paced bullet hell shooter action. We'll reassess this soon, but until then you can go all retro and read our Wii Virtual Console Contra III: The Alien Wars review.

Wii U Retail DLC

Pikmin 3 Mission Pack 3 (Nintendo, $4.99) — This wasn't in Nintendo's download list — and therefore missed our poll — but was nevertheless confirmed for a 2nd December release. It'll incorporate four ‘Collect Treasure’ stages and four ‘Battle Enemies’ levels, which will take in all-new environments. A software update will be required to access the DLC.

Wii U eShop Temporary Discounts

Mario Bros. (Nintendo, $3.49 until 5th December, normally $4.99)

Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo, $3.49 until 5th December, normally $4.99)

Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo, $3.49 until 5th December, normally $4.99)

Super Mario World (Nintendo, $5.59 until 5th December, normally $7.99)

3DS eShop

3D Super Hang-On (SEGA, $4.99) — SEGA's 3D series of classic games finally kicks off, and this version looks set to take its lead from the excellent arcade original. This promises some classic racing action, and we'll see how it revs up — alongside that 3D effect — in our upcoming review.

3D Space Harrier (SEGA, $4.99) — This third-person on-rails shooter was an arcade classic that appeared on many consoles originally, blending intense action with some lovely sprite work. This certainly has the potential to look terrific in 3D, yet we'll see whether it lives up to rose-tinted reminiscences in our review, soon.

Nintendo 3DS Guide: Louvre (Nintendo, $19.99) — Announced in a Nintendo Direct video, this is an expanded version of the software that's served as the official Louvre museum guide in Paris since Spring 2012. We'll bring our impressions to you very soon. Available from 2nd December.

Race to the Line (Enjoy Gaming, $3.99) — This car racing game promises four types of competitions and challenges as well as unlockables, with Challenge, Time Attack and Two Player race modes included. It could be tempting at a budget price, but we'll see whether it gets off the starting line in our upcoming review.

Young Justice: Legacy (Little Orbit, $29.99) — This much-delayed title was in danger due to the cancellation of the related TV show (the Wii and Wii U versions bit the dust) and now eventually arrives as a download-only release. With the TV show off the air it's questionable how much demand there will be for this title, but we'll soon find out.

Pokémon: BW Rival Destinies (Nintendo, $TBC) — We're speculating slightly here, as we think these animated shows will be on the 3DS eShop, and they may be free. What we do know is that ten episodes will be available from today, with five more following every week up to 26th December. They will be available to watch until 4th January 2014.

3DS Virtual Console

Ninja Gaiden III: The Ancient Ship of Doom (Tecmo, $4.99) — Here's one to test your patience and endanger the safety of your 3DS, as the third super-hard Ninja Gaiden NES title kicks its way to the handheld. We'll see how strong our ninja gaming skills remain for a review, but until then you can learn more in our Wii Virtual Console Ninja Gaiden III review.

3DS Retail Download

My Exotic Farm (Bigben Interactive, $24.99)

3DS eShop Temporary Discounts

Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo, $3.49 until 5th December, normally $4.99)

Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo, $3.49 until 5th December, normally $4.99)

Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (Nintendo, $2.79 until 5th December, normally $3.99)

Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move (Nintendo, $6.99 until 5th December, normally $9.99)

3DS Retail Download Temporary Discount

Shin Megami Tensei IV (Atlus, $29.99 until 2nd December, normally $49.99)

DSiWare

Heathcliff: Spot On (Enjoy Gaming, 500 Nintendo Points) — This is a spot the difference game that rewards success with access to comic pages, boasting of 120 levels and mini-games after every block of ten. We'll see whether it is, indeed, spot on in our upcoming review.

That's everything for North America this week. Let us know what you plan to download in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (257 votes)

Contra III: The Alien Wars (Wii U Virtual Console)

13%

Mario Bros. (Wii U Virtual Console temporary discount)

Super Mario Bros. (Wii U Virtual Console temporary discount)

Super Mario Bros. 2 (Wii U Virtual Console temporary discount)

Super Mario World (Wii U Virtual Console temporary discount)

3D Super Hang-On (3DS eShop)

3D Space Harrier (3DS eShop)

15%

Nintendo 3DS Guide: Louvre (3DS eShop)

My Exotic Farm (3DS retail download)

Young Justice: Legacy (3DS eShop)

Ninja Gaiden III: The Ancient Ship of Doom (3DS Virtual Console)

Super Mario Bros. (3DS Virtual Console temporary discount)

Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS Virtual Console temporary discount)

Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (3DS Virtual Console temporary discount)

Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move (3DS Virtual Console temporary discount)

Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS retail download temporary discount)

Heathcliff: Spot On (DSiWare)

Just the Pokemon shows for me

Nothing for me this week

33%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

I'll get Contra III, the 3D classics, and Ninja Gaiden 3! Lot to pick from, but still no SMB3...At least the arrival of all these games I've been wanting to download kind of eases the long SMB3 absence.

Funny thing though...I JUST bought SMB2 on Wii U the other day...oh well.

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

I'm grabbing both Sega 3D classics as well as Ninja Gaiden III. If the Pokemon shows are free, I'll grab those too. Awesome week indeed for the 3DS!

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

@KnightRider666 What's irritating is: They say SMB3 is getting re-released this year, and it's also been on the future releases for weeks. It's even the very first title that shows up in future releases section on 3DS so I really thought It'd come out this week. Maybe they plan to release it the last Thursday of this year? Anyway, you gonna get Contra III? I am! My first one was Contra 4 a while back so I got to play Contra and Super C along with it. Looking forward to blasting some more aliens!

@Rockman_Chan Lot's of "3"s this week huh? :)

WhiteTrashGuy

WhiteTrashGuy said:

Still don't have Super Mario World... so maybe that and/or one of the Sega 3D Classics.... So I guess it's a 16-bit week for me! ; )

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

@Giygas_95: I bet SMB3 will come out 12/26. I'm calling it now. I'm not buying any Wii U VC yet. Contra 4 was amazing, hands down. Happy Thanksgiving btw:)

Eisenbolan

Eisenbolan said:

So we are getting Genesis games not SNES games? Never bought an Enjoy game that I enjoyed. Will get 6 Gold Coins and SMB2.

DinoandAllen

DinoandAllen said:

Neat week, but where's YouTube? It was supposed to come out for the 3DS later this month earlier this month at Nintendo Direct.

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

Contra III, one of my favorite super nes games and the Louvre for sure. Maybe some others.

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

Just noticed the eshop logo was active because of the Louvre video. Hopefully they start to use it to notify when the eshop is updated with games or Dlc as well.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Anybody looking for Pokemon episodes, the official Pokemon website always has a bunch online (for the possibly 1 person in the world who doesn't know this):

And if they put this app on the 3DS then we wouldn't need special episodes, or too spend way too long having lunch in McDonalds this past Tuesday.

Get the Pokémon TV Mobile app:

As for sales, Nintendo has no concept of Black Friday. Now excuse me while I go back to sorting thru 15 lbs of newspaper ads. Best Buy having the Nintendo Land bundle advertised does not instill confidence. For those who still rely on their Wii the Skylanders Dark bundle is $80 at Gamestop - down from $100. I'm not buying antyhing from Nintendo this week.

@ThomasBW84 - $4.99 Pikmin 3 DLC on Monday still? You guys usually list advanced stuff in the Thursday update even when it isn't available for a few days.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

@rjejr: Probably because Nintendo has no need for such Black Friday sales. Nintendo is not a retailer ;)

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@rjejr The Pikmin 3 stuff wasn't in Nintendo's list, but I'll double check the confirmed dates and add if needed.

SuperMalleo

SuperMalleo said:

I don't need YouTube on the 3DS anyway. I found a way to watch videos on my 3DS without internet.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

well... Nintendo really missed the ball here. They should have released Mario 3 with this but.... they didn't.At least they got Contra III which is actually a pretty good game to go on the VC. I'll be sure to pick that up.

redoschi

redoschi said:

Have all the Mario Wii U games already! Was hoping that SMB3 would be released this week!

chiefeagle02

chiefeagle02 said:

I actually would have expected "Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move" to be part of the DK-themed eShop discounts next week (and that was a stretch anyway as the Zelda and Mega Man weeks have featured nothing but Virtual Console titles). All the same, the Mario-themed offerings aren't bad.

HylianSane

HylianSane said:

Will wait for the next batch of 3D classics for Altered Beast and Sonic 1... Contra 3 is a must-have though.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

Was hoping for a NSMBU discount, but wishful thinking I guess. Probably will get the 3D classics and maybe Contra. Shoutout for Contra Rebirth on WiiWare for those who haven't tried it yet.

Kaboom

Kaboom said:

Already planned to grab me some Space Harrier, and I think I'll indulge in another Ninja Gaiden game to suck at while I'm at it.

Kind of wondering if that ETA of "later this month" still stands for the YouTube app, though...

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

If that price is right for the 3D Classics, $4.99, then I'm a very happy echidna. I have just enough for MM2 discounted and 3 Sega Classics!

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

These temporary discounts have the uncanny ability to appear right after I decide to purchase something...

Vriess

Vriess said:

Something I don't get...Why not bring out VC games on the WII U and 3DS at the same time? I want Ninja Gaiden III on the Wii U!

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I am interested in the Sega 3D games and Super Mario World looks tempting. Not sure about Minis on the Move.

iphys

iphys said:

Getting Mario & DK on sale (been waiting for one), and both 3D Classics. Also the Contra III upgrade once I finally do my Wii to Wii U transfer. Very interested in that Louvre app if it's worth the money.

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

I would complain about a lack of Super Mario 3 yet again, but then I saw Contra III is available. Touché.

Gioku

Gioku said:

Hey guys, I'm pretty sure there's still one more week in November, in which they can release YouTube... it's not like November's over. ;)

ericwithcheese2

ericwithcheese2 said:

3D Super Hang On, 3D Space Harrier and Super Mario Land 2 for me this week - as its all I can afford. Thank you SEGA for doing these, and I hope there are more beyond the December announced batch to come.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

This is a fairly good week. I'll be updating my Contra III Wii VC. Maybe something else...

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

November is over on the weekend. The 1st of December is this Sunday. Maybe we will be surprised and it will be on there at noon. Getting Mario Vs Donkey Kong and the Pokemon episodes. My son will be happy about the Pokemon stuff though.

Mibbleng

Mibbleng said:

SMT IV has a discount and we still don't even have a release date for Europe.

WaveyChristmas

WaveyChristmas said:

3D Space Harrier(OMG.....Time to relive my awesome & zany early 90's Space Harrier chuck E cheese's experience, on a tiny screen.....But in 3D! :o )
Untitled

I've already Ninja 'n Gaidened' III: The Ancient Ship of Doom on the Wii's VC, toughest Gaiden yet. Contra III? Same deal, no need to tripple dip. They need to whip out the superior NES & Arcade original, what's the hold up? Will also be getting 3D Super Hang-on!

Morpheel

Morpheel said:

There are actually three versions of the Louvre app coming out. You may want to know that.

camerica1618

camerica1618 said:

This discount thing Nintendo is doing is awesome, but does anyone else think the discounts aren't as low as they should be? I know I just sound like I'm coming up with stupid complaints, but if Nintendo is going to make a big deal about this discount thing they have going on every week it sure would be nice to have them at least half off.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

FYI all - I've added the Pikmin 3 DLC info, but it can't retrospectively go into the poll. As far as I can tell from Nintendo's site it's still due on 2nd December, though it's yet to give more details — such as a name for the pack etc. But still, worth considering!

Angelic_Lapras_King

Angelic_Lapras_King said:

The Pokemon episodes are probably to celebrate the end of the BW era of the anime, which comes to a close in America very shortly. But seriously, put that Pokemon TV App on both 3DS and Wii U already Nintendo! You barely offer anything new for Nintendo Video, so go with this too!

shigulicious

shigulicious said:

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Gonna upgrade contra 3, get space harrier 3d as well. Maybe super Mario world... A lot of goodies today!

SirQuincealot

SirQuincealot said:

you have the prices listed incorrectly for space harrier, and the other one doesnt appear to be on the eshop, as with ninja gaiden

Hale-Bopp

Hale-Bopp said:

No youtube and flipnote disappears from the future releases section. Another solid week there, Nintendo. Good job.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Contra III! Now that's a shooter that could get my old-school donkey to spend some bucks. :)

WaveyChristmas

WaveyChristmas said:

@Gen0neD

I've always felt III was one of the worst. 1, 4 & Operation C(GB) are the cream of the crop. :* ReBirth hands down has got to be thee' worst in the series

GreatPlayer

GreatPlayer said:

Ninja Gaiden 3 was probably the best among the series (I very much dislike the spawning enemies in 1 or 2).

Grilo

Grilo said:

I really like how smooth those 3d sega classics run. Just played some hang-on and love it, i'm afraid i'll end up buying them all!

idork99

idork99 said:

I'll eventually get some 3D Classics when I find the time to distant myself from my Wii U! Having great loads of fun with 3D World!

DualWielding

DualWielding said:

Sorry Nintendo but your Mario sale looks pathetic compared to the black Friday deals going around, couldn't you have at least discounted the recent mario titles

Windy

Windy said:

Happy Thanksgiving! Don't eat to much...save room for pie lol. Sega 3d Classics for me.

Windy

Windy said:

BTW in the super Hang on does description it says that sega is releasing 8 3d classics starting November 28th. Do we know all releases? Anyone?

WaveyChristmas

WaveyChristmas said:

@Gen0neD

Shouldn't you be planning an attack on the Autobots? ;) unless playing a mildly overrated SNES sequel with awkard Overhead filler stages is more important. ;) That mode 6 shinanigans was impressive during the time, but the stages are a total drag to play through. A massive step down incomparison to the 3rd person Base stages in the original.

Windy

Windy said:

@Klimbatize oh dang it! Looks like I will get Streets of Rage and possibly sonic (never was much a sonic or even Mario fan) I was hoping for Outrun. Maybe if these games sell well we will see Outrun. Would be awesome if Sega starts doing a bunch of 3d classics since nobody else seems to be interested in it.

Add on: Glaxy Force also 😊

AcesHigh

AcesHigh said:

@Giygas_95 Thanks for the holiday wishes Giygas!

Hey, speaking of delayed SMB3 releases and holidays... I can't think of a better present to all of Nintendo's loyal fans than a surprise release of SMB3 for Xmas! Yeah, I know, the world has a better chance of Britney Spears acquiring talent. But no harm in wishing, eh? Maybe Santa will look like a wise older Asian toy maker this year!

JustinH

JustinH said:

Didn't bite on any of this. Instead got Kung Fu Rabbit on sale for $2. It's not bad! It's a solid little puzzle platformer, if a tiny bit unpolished. Controls are very tight though.

LightSuitGuy

LightSuitGuy said:

I'll definately be getting 3D Space Harrier in the near future, along with Jett Rocket II and Q.U.B.E. whenever it gets released.

I'll most likely ask for a Wii U/3DS gift card for my birthday/Christmas gift. (gotta love December birthdays, right? :P)

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Never played any SEGA games before, but Super Hang On 3D is amazing! Haven't really tried Space Harrier yet.

faint

faint said:

@sinalefa mario world is great minis is well it's ok. Gets repetitive and boring after 2 hours and the maze builder is very limited.

Rezalack

Rezalack said:

I can't believe they put Super Mario World on sale this week and not Mega Man X last week. -_-

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@faint

Thanks. I got the Mario vs DK that they gave to 3ds Ambassadors but I never found it interesting. About Mario World, I have beaten that one several times, but I don't have a copy, so it could be cool now that we can have off-tv play.

Nekketsu3D

Nekketsu3D said:

Okunari Yosuke said if all 8 games Sega Genesis 3D Classics is a success in the West, the project will continue, we support the cause please enjoy a Golden Axe, a Outrun, Gunstar Heroes and many more SEGA on 3DS!!

simonhwsn

simonhwsn said:

Another week without worthwhile sales (already own smt iv phisically and marioS). I don't know if I should burn my balance now or keep waiting.

Mahe

Mahe said:

@simonhwsn You should wait. Even good games regularly go on sale, just not every week. There's bound to be something good as Xmas approaches.

Bobhobob

Bobhobob said:

Ugh, YouTube pls?
And as for 3D Classics, I'll just wait for Sonic considering all the other Sonic ports are unplayable.
Oh, and Flipnote is WAY overdue. It's at least half past summer.
But at least good stuff is being released on the eShop, unlike earlier in the year.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@ThomasBW84 - Thanks. My kids are really looking forward to it, I'm buying it for them as 1 of their Hanakuh gifts so I need it by next Wed.

shredmeister

shredmeister said:

I've been playing Super Hang-On on and off today. I am impressed with how well it was done. It's not a Genesis/Megadrive version in 3D, it's the arcade version in 3D. In other words; the best version yet. Big fan of the Space Harrier game, too.

I would love to see Out-Run or Afterburner done this way, or maybe the lesser known "Thunder Blade" (the Genesis version was no match for the arcade version).

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

I've never been to Paris (been to Rome and Naples once upon a time but that's another story), so the Lourve guide seems like it would be pretty cool. Much cheaper than the cost of a plane ticket...

NbaJunkie

NbaJunkie said:

I got SMBrothers the obligatory title..But what Im really excited about is the pikmin DLC its really unerated and underpriced! Go get it..

andreoni79

andreoni79 said:

Still waiting for the discounted Nintendo series here in Europe. :( I'd love to buy some other classics, but they are € 5 and 6 ($ 7 and 8) when Usa got these for € 2,5 and 3 ($ 3,5 and 4).
Many indie devs sell their games with the right $/€ ratio, while Nintendo makes no difference at all!

Windy

Windy said:

@KnightRider666 If they announce anymore Sega 3d Classics I would love to see Shining in the darkness or shining the Holy Ark and Outrun. I don't know if Shining force would look good in 3d but if that could be done it would be sweet also. I have the gamegear Shining force on VC which is nice. VC releases of the Shining force games on Genny would be cool too

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

Space Harrier 3D was 5.99 for me, not 4.99.
Great title, though.
I wish Nintendo took this much care with its own 3D 'classics'.

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

@Uberchu: You can only watch them via the eshop. I was hoping you could permanently download them myself. Bummer.

@Windy: Sega has been doing an awesome job between the Game Gear VC and the 3D Classics. I wish Nintendo would follow suit.