Feature: Our Favourite Wii U and 3DS Smash Bros. Screens So Far

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Smashing stuff (geddit?)

So the new Super Smash Bros. titles on Wii U and 3DS may only have a vague "planned release" for 2014 — which hopefully won't become "erm, maybe it'll be 2015" — but that doesn't mean that we're not getting regular doses of brawling goodness. In fact, Masahiro Sakurai has been regularly picking in-development screens for the official website, showing off new arenas, occasionally fresh characters, and often just funny poses and snapshots that reflect the madness of what's the come.

There's something about Nintendo mascots — in their distinctly peculiar glory — knocking the snot out of each other that really appeals to millions of gamers, with a good number probably planning to double dip on both versions so that they can play wherever, whenever they like. These titles don't exactly arrive on an annual basis, either, further building up the hype levels.

Although substantial information will drip-feed rather slowly, we thought we'd pick some of our favourite screens from the new games to date and present them as a gallery with one-liners for descriptions; these are a mix of press assets and the images released daily on the official website.

Why are we doing this? Because video games and Smash Bros. are fun and we don't need a real reason, that's why.

Wii U

3DS

So those are some of our favourites so far. Let us know which is a stand-out for you in the poll and comments below, or simply post those that you think we should have included. Is it 2014 yet?

Which of our Smash Bros. images is your favourite? (442 votes)

Mario's crotch shot on Bowser

17%

The Villager tackles Bowser with a pot

The Villager falls flat on his face

Bowser scaring Pikmin

Kirby also scaring Pikmin

10%

Kirby's stuck, Wii Fit Trainer and DK are clueless

13%

Mario thinks this is a soccer spin-off

Fox and Rush say hello

Bowser kicks Samus (she'll get revenge)

Bowser pretends to be a Nintendog

Fox is late for the train

Link meets Link

Kirby has no mercy in his soul

The Blue Bomber's super-cute look

The Kid Icarus stage is super pretty

24%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Related Games

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

Me: Wow, this vote is totally one sided.
-3 votes have been cast so far.
oh.

Microwaveable1

Microwaveable1 said:

That Kid Icarus stage is awesome :D It seems to be based off of Chapter 2 with Dark Lord (Or Lady ;) ) Gaol

zoroarkrules25

zoroarkrules25 said:

I didn't even know about some of these but they are really funny. The KI:U stage is my favorite though.

Samurai

Samurai said:

Man this game looks awesome ( im new to the site so sup everyone! lol ) but im just hoping the 3ds stages arent too.... yeah lol the Wii : U console stages look so sick <.< i just hope we get awesome looking stages like the kid icarus uprising one ^.^

kendorage

kendorage said:

Some of these pics are begging for a caption contest. I feel bad for kirby stuck in the hole with donkey kong and wii fit girl looking on. I've seen horror films along those lines...and it doesn't end well.

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

I gotta say; from up close, the new Smashbros doesn't look so good. It lacks in a lot of detail, even for a Wii U game.
MarioKart 8 looks amazing, I was hoping SmashBros to look the same, if not better.

DrOzaki

DrOzaki said:

@LordJumpMad It's still in it's development, and we'll probably see a lot more details be put in later this year. It's only really skyloft that isn't looking so hot right now to me.

Yoshi3DS

Yoshi3DS said:

WOW i just finished spirit tracks last night, the ending was brilliant, but then again, nothing beats Kid Icarus: Uprising so i had to vote on that :

Truelovetat

Truelovetat said:

Kid Icarus looks best by far. Is it just me that thinks this but I think that trainer is a terrible choice for a character. What are they thinking. There's so many better characters they could have chosen.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Still can't believe the 3DS is getting this game! o.o
Finally, can cause total chaos with Pokemon/Assist Trophies/Final Smashes on the go. xD

Silent

Silent said:

@Truelovetat Well, The point of character selection is to make each character unique. I understand they want to make the roster unpredictable. Even though some people might not like it, I think it was a nice surprise. Besides, You can't expect to like all characters in the game.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

It's hard to pick just one, but I voted for the Kid Icarus Uprising stage.
Here's some that are pretty cool.
Do a body slam!
Untitled
Pit just looks really cool here.
Untitled
Help, Mega Man has fallen and he can't get up!
Untitled
Let's-a rumble!
Untitled

KiwiPanda

KiwiPanda said:

I'm looking forward to seeing some PSI in action! That is, assuming Ness (and hopefully Lucas!) will have to be in...

Dashtag

Dashtag said:

@Microwaveable1 Nope. It's a town/castle from one of the nations fighting each other.

If you want proof of it being chapter 11, see Sakurai's latest Miiverse post.

Rafie

Rafie said:

Hunter and Dev those images look great. Thanks guys for the pics. They look GREAT!!

Doma

Doma said:

Anybody else not like Bowser's change? Preferred how he had his own dark style in Smash before. He looks like a much easier target now.

Poll choice = Groin punch

World

World said:

I picked the two Links because of the hilariously serious face Train Link is making, and how his arms are just pointed outward for no reason.

Doma

Doma said:

@Rafie Yes, but obviously not that exaggerated. His regular Melee or Brawl form would've sufficed.

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

The image with Rush and Fox is my favorite of the ones you've shown, but these are probably my favorite screens so far:

Untitled

Untitled

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

Are the Wii U screens actually in game graphics or just rendered cut scenes?
If in game wow! never realised it looked so good

Havkri

Havkri said:

I tought the last pic was an improved version of the Fire emblem Stage from Brawl.... it looks really similar though

Rafie

Rafie said:

@Doma Well I mean just the design...not the size, Doma. That's the grittier and dark Bowser you're looking for I take it. I do agree that Melee form was top notch.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

That Kid Icarus stage is so BEAUTIFUL. I voted for Kirby scaring Pikmin though. Also, I can't wait to play as Mega Man.

@RevolverLink I like the picture you posted of Mega Man and Pikmin!

Chris720

Chris720 said:

The detail on Link (to the right) looks pretty impressive for the 3DS version... loving the looks of it more and more than the Wii U version.

Untitled

Dormouse

Dormouse said:

I never wanted to get to versions of a game before. I am definitly getting both Wii u and 3DS versions of Super Smash Bros. ! I'm just torn on which version of Sonic Lost world to get. I kinda want the 3DS version but I'm worried it wont look as polisjed for the 3DS as possible as in comparison to wii u. I know obviously wii u will ne HD but I'd like to get the 3DS.

Benjelo

Benjelo said:

That K.I. stage looks pretty boss, In all honesty I think it is a bad move to release all this information a whole year before the game is released. won't people lose interest? As of now I reallllllyyyy want to get this game but in like 3 months i'm just going to reallyy want this game...(less "L"s and "Y"s in second adjective incase you didn't get that) haha I didn't know how else to explain that...

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@Funny_Moblin I'm pretty sure, like someone said, that it's from KI: Uprising, and quite possibly my fave stage in the whole game. This is a Sakurai game, after all :)

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

The KI:U one is amazing but Bowser looks so belly-rub-able in that Nintendogs pic, haha.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Bowser scaring Pikmin you say? It is more like Bowser murdering Pikmin to me...

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

They should fix that what happened in the first pic, my fav pic would have to be Link meets Link, I always wanted the train to be a stage and now it is!

Funny_Moblin

Funny_Moblin said:

@ThomasBW84 Hehe, yeah, I did figure it was from KI: U, which is even better. By the way, a few weeks ago I have e-mailed NoA about SUCH AN EPIC STAGE IDEA I HAVE for Animal Crossing. They said that by the rules, they can't forward it to Sakurai. If only Sakurai could SEE it!!! It has true potential, I'm serious!!!!

Edit: They said that even though they can't forward the idea, he and the crew that work there loved my idea and thought it was cool :)

20thPaul

20thPaul said:

Can anyone please confirm that Peach will be a playable character in the 3ds version????

DdFixen

DdFixen said:

@LordJumpMad
Mind you, it will still be a year or (most likely) more, until this game is released, so I bet they will have improved the graphics by then:)

The_Ninja

The_Ninja said:

The one with bowser and the dog is hilarious but what really amazed me is the KI:U stage!

Rod64

Rod64 said:

The last screenshot looks amazing, and the "trapped kirby" is really funny XD

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

I like a good number of them. The Kid Icarus one looks like the the air battle on Dark Lord Gaol's castle with Aurum in the sky.

Yoshi3DS

Yoshi3DS said:

@UnseatingKDawg I know it does look like Gaol's castle at first but as the guy said above, its Chapter 11 just before Viridi drops the bomb thing(forgot what it's called) on them, maybe that'll happen during the fight...

Varia01

Varia01 said:

No Metroid pics? Ugh, I can't post my favorite one... Samus is just not too cool these days...

Henmii

Henmii said:

I chose Fox and Rush...but that Donkey kong picture above: GOLDEN!!

As for the other pictures posted at the comments: Good stuff!!

Slayer

Slayer said:

Yay, they have Toon Link from Spirit Tracks... Well, I'll be picking this up soon enough.