Reggie: This Holiday Season Is Going To Be Extremely Strong For Wii U

Posted by Andy Green

Nintendo confident its upcoming software will sell hardware

While Sony and Microsoft showed off the power of their upcoming systems at this year's E3, Nintendo announced a wealth of new first party Wii U titles with the aim to entice more people to buy into its latest home console.

Currently, Wii U has a relatively low install base and this is a big stumbling block for Nintendo as it attempts to lure more third party publishers to create games for the system.

In an interview with CNN Money, President of Nintendo of America Reggie Fils-Aime said Wii U "is next generation" and that he is confident it will flourish once more first party titles emerge on the system:

The one truism about this business [is] software sells hardware and we're confident that we've got a range of software that's going to drive the install base of Wii U and it's going to create an opportunity, not only for us but for third party publishers to monetise the platform.

He drew parallels with how the 3DS was doing at this point in its life and how it picked up once the top titles, such as Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7, arrived. He believes the same will happen with Wii U once must-have titles make it to the shelves.

Reggie believes the future is bright for Wii U and thinks the console gave a good account of itself at this year's E3 even amongst the noise being made by its big rivals.

We're here at this E3 with a lot of confidence and a lot of belief that this holiday season is going to be extremely strong for Wii U.

What are your thoughts on Reggie's standpoint? Are we seeing the same issue 3DS had at the start of its existence? Let us know in the comment section below.

[via money.cnn.com]

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

I'm getting: The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD, Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze & The wonderful 101.

It does seem like it's going to be pretty great :)

nocode

nocode said:

After E3 I definitely feel I made the right choice with the Wii U. Lots of good stuff to keep me busy.

GearsOfWarU

GearsOfWarU said:

I agree ... Wii U will sell Big from August-December when it's being bombarded by great games that people want to play and can only play on Wii U... Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze,Pikman 3, Wii Party U, Wonderful 101 & Sonic Lost World !!!! Not to mention Holliday shortages the other company's will deal with... And I don't thinkSony or Microsoft have Super launch lineups ... Think this will be a Big Holiday for Nintendo Wii I ;-)

Beta

Beta said:

With all the Wii U titles I'm getting this year, I think he's spot on. I mean, even with the 3DS I didn't get THAT much games in the first year :)

DreamDrop

DreamDrop said:

The only thing I like about Nintendo now is this guy, I missed his presence at E3.

Linkstrikesback

Linkstrikesback said:

The 3DS was in a MUCH better place than the Wii U, beating the original DS models in first year sales, even before Mario 3D land or Mario kart could drop.

The two cases aren't even comparable really.

Linkstrikesback

Linkstrikesback said:

@winger fish:

Clearly you missed the following words "home console". The Virtual boy was classed as a handheld, hence the "Boy" part in the name (following on from GameBoy).

It doesn't matter where you think the "race" is, it's an absolute fact that in terms of sales the Wii U has been the biggest home console flop Nintendo has ever had for its first year. Third party support is all but gone, and Nintendo can barely get its own games working on the system.

Thank god the 3DS is there to keep Nintendo afloat, or I'd be seriously worried about the companies future.

AcesHigh

AcesHigh said:

Well, its not exactly the same as the 3DS. The release of amazing 1st party games did have an effect. But it coincided with a price drop. Nintendo has recently said there will be no price drop. But there WILL be one in November or December when the other consoles are launched. My batting average on this stuff is pretty high so far! :)

AcesHigh

AcesHigh said:

@GearsOfWarU except for XB1. There will not be any shortages. Pre orders have already dropped off sharply while PS3 continues to pre-order very well.

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

I'm taking bets against Reggie's prediction. One million imaginary dollars that this holiday season will be sub-par. Any takers?

AcesHigh

AcesHigh said:

@DreamDrop he was at E3 among the press and the floor. Just no keynote this year. We saw their keynote via Nintendo Direct. Same content, different venue

Cyberbotv2

Cyberbotv2 said:

The console-games owned per customer will likely be crazy high. I'm still on the fence about picking up a Wii U. All I need to see is e-shop/virtual console original and classic releases pick up, and I might finally give in.

Cyberbotv2

Cyberbotv2 said:

@AcesHigh
Whats your guess for a new price point? I was thinking of 229.99 for some reason. Sounds like a weird number Nintendo would pick.

element187

element187 said:

I think he's absolutely right... Nintendo's first party software sells hardware... how much will it sell this holiday? who knows, but it will be more then what its doing currently.

AcesHigh

AcesHigh said:

@Linkstrikesback No, Reggie is right. At about his time in the 3DS's introduction, they had just introduced the price drop and new games were coming out. Granted, the timing in this comparison is a month or two off. But the 3DS needed every bit of that first year - specifically the holiday season with the new pricing and great games in tow to make that figure. Wii U is ALMOST 7 months old.. the first year is not up yet. There are 5 months left, lots of new, great games the holiday rush with PS4 in scant supply and no one wanting an XB1 at $100 more than the PS4 and a price drop I predict in November left to come to help them close out the first year on the market.

BossBattles

BossBattles said:

Confirmed: ps4 and xbone will NOT be getting pikmin 3, TW101, zelda WW hd, DKTP, super mario 3D world, sonic lost world this holiday!!!!!!
Why? Different consoles getting different games?!? OMG stop the presses!!!

xSATANACHISTx

xSATANACHISTx said:

I don't think the sales will be enough to get Wii U to the same level of third party support as PS/Xbox. You will most likely have to have one of those systems to play upcoming Bioshock and GTA-games. That sucks.

ILikeRead

ILikeRead said:

i cant wait until people are done being undecided with wii u. when it picks up, it picks up. then people will either love it or hate it, not back and forth with their emotions.

Emblem

Emblem said:

There is a big release scheduled for each month until the end of the year for both Wii U and 3Ds, if Wii U sales don't pick up then i'm calling both Ps4 and Xbone both missing their projected sales targets due to market shrinkage.

AcesHigh

AcesHigh said:

@Cyberbotv2 Id guess $299 for the Deluxe set. Not sure if they even will have the basic set anymore. But they MIGHT just to have a console at the $249 mark. Id look for the Deluxe set to include NSMB U or Lego City Undercover as well.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

Nintendo should do well this holiday season, mainly because of families. I see them being appealed by Super Mario 3D World, Wii Party U, and Wii Fit U. There's also Donkey Kong, which is also no slouch in selling out.

james_squared

james_squared said:

What else is he supposed to say? This is about as useful as those interviews with hockey players.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Getting Wonderful 101, Wind Waker HD since I never beat the GCN original, and Super Mario 3D World. Hopefully those can tide me over til Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, X, and Bayonetta hit next year.

AcesHigh

AcesHigh said:

BTW, the software slump cant be as bad as everyone is saying either. Just got a $50 gift card at Best Buy for fathers day and went to spend it. Went to 2 stores. All sold out of NSMB U, Lego City and very short on games like Ninja Gaiden, Tekken, Batman, etc... Nintendo doesnt need to be #1. But they will always be in the race and will always continue to bring content to please their consumers. This whole "race" concept is ridiculous and made to sell headlines and ad space. We as Nintendo fans and consumers have absolutely nothing to worry about. Wii U will be here and relevant for the rest of this generation - whether 1st, 2nd or 3rd. Unless you own stock in Nintendo, who cares? Just get to playing all hose games!

Linkstrikesback

Linkstrikesback said:

Aceshigh, not having stock in just means that they haven't ordered more because they have no reason to keep a huge supply of things that aren't selling.

"Get to playing all those games".
I'd love to, but the problem is it isn't 2014 so there is bugger all out to play.
All Nintendo has on the U coming that I'm interested in enough to purchase this year is Pikmin 3, and begrudgingly Mario 3D world. I don't even really want that because it's a watered down rushjob that should have been a 3DS game.
Edit: Actually, Sonic: lost worlds too, that game looks better than anything Nintendo has coming (Well played sega!)

That's means I'll only have bought 4 games this year (I'll give it to them, Lego City Undercover was amazing and one of my best purchases on any console!), but it's still downright terrible for the second calender year of a console.

SteveW

SteveW said:

I hope is correct but I really doubt it. If he were to announce a 3DS player for Wii U I think it would help drastically

Yodelman64

Yodelman64 said:

I love it. I got a wii u for chirstmas and my older brother kept on bugging me about ti. He kept o saying how their were no good games for ti and hwo ti was a waste of money and how ti was less powerful. But now after this E3 he keeps on bugging me to sell it to him. I wonder what changed....:)

hydeks

hydeks said:

I feel the Wii U will sell well this holiday season too. I plan to buy the Wii U ZombiU Deluxe Bundle next month, just before all the great games come out :)

It almost feels like Nintendo is the opposite of Sony and what's to be expected. Sony's PS3/PS4 are of course first, Vita and PSP are secondary consoles. With Nintendo, the secondary console has been their home consoles lately, and DS/3DS is there main console that gets everything.

@Yodelman64 alot of the "hardcore" gamers act exactly like how your brother acted. I say, ignore people, go with what YOU like. Graphics and power don't mean the system has great games, and the games are what counts the most ;)

BossBattles

BossBattles said:

Gamers as they are now are not recognizable to me as real gamers.
Real gamers don't hate certain consoles or genres. They embrace all types of games as long as they have quality, and you buy whatever console is out that has great games on it.

You don't choose sides like a bratty child and point the finger at gamers that choose something different than you.

Gaming media and the dew and dorito dudebrow/hipster
Are the ugly side of this culture and they need to be ignored.

Smitherenez

Smitherenez said:

Of course he is right! The only problem I have with it is that it will still take a while before we finally get some great games for the wiiu. Oh well, I will play trough another New Super Mario Bros. (luigi dlc) until something else arrives.

Ukulele_Wizard

Ukulele_Wizard said:

I'll be honest, initially I thought that once the PS4 and Xbox One prices were announced, the Wii U was going to end up like the 3DS, a total misfire that Nintendo somehow ended up making the best selling system on a weekly basis. However, I feel like the parallels that keep being drawn between Wii U and 3DS are misleading. The 3DS has NO competition. Yes, there's the Vita, but let's be real here: the Vita has NO GAMES. I mean, it's got Uncharted and a few other games, and you have access to PS+ and all these great bells and whistles, but it doesn't have any games that will drive the system and hat games it does have trickle out slowly, meaning only a 2-5 good games a year. And let's not forget about the price. The console alone is $250, plus if you're looking at a 32GB memory card (which, if your going to make that card last the whole life of the system, is not unreasonable) the memory card drives up the cost to about $350, and then you add on a game with that and you're looking at something that's almost the price of the PS4.
The 3DS? The XL is $200, plus a game (if it doesn't come bundled) will cost you a grand total of $240.
So let's compare: $240 for a system with 3D, a plethora of fantastic games, and a growing eShop, or $390 - $150 MORE than a 3DS - for a system with better graphics and a better online store, but practically no games? Which one would you choose (assuming you're not a Nintendo or Sony fan)? It's not that hard.
Now, let's compare the Wii U to the PS4. The Wii U has a meh-ish library right now and although in the future it'll have a fantastic library of FIRST PARTY games, third parties have seemingly abandoned it (Nintendo can still win them back, but right now, things do not look that great). It's clearly more powerful than the PS3 or 360, but compared to the PS4, it's anemic. Oh yeah, and it also has a pretty gosh darn fantastic eShop with awesome indie titles, but it has a pretty basic online infrastructure.
Now for the PS4. It has, as of now, fantastic third party support, is MUCH more powerful than the Wii U (the Wii U isn't underpowered, but compared to the PS4, it certainly is), and an extremely fleshed out online store and online service, but you DO have to pay $50 a year for (unlike the Wii U where online is free).
Now, let's compare prices. The Wii U, if you have any common sense, will cost you $350 for the Deluxe model with 32 GB of storage. It comes packaged with a game, so let's assume you won't get another just for the fun of it. Now, let's say you want to upgrade the memory. You buy a 1TB External hard drive. If you get the cheapest one, that brings the cost up to roughly $426. Now, lets say you want to buy a pro controller. That's going to cost you $50, so now you're looking at $476. Now, the PS4. $400, you don't need any extra memory, but a new game and a controller would be nice, so that's going to cost you $110 for both of them. That's $510, plus the $4.17 ($50/12 months) you need to pay the month you get the console for PS+, and you're looking at about $514.
So, let's do a final comparison. $476 (Wii U) vs. $514 (PS4). $38 more for clearly superior hardware, better third party support, and a more fleshed out online experience. At this price, the only thing the Wii U has in its favor is more memory and a unique controller. And that's being generous and saying that the only game you're limited to with the Wii U is Nintendo Land, and that you're not going to but 3D Land, Tropical Freeze, WW HD, Rayman Legends, or any other game. If you do, you're looking at something that's more expensive that the PS4!
Look, I'm a Nintendo fanboy, and I really, REALLY love Nintendo, and I understand that Nintendo is taking a loss on each system sold, but the only way to emulate the 3DS' success is to cut the price, not as drastically, maybe only $30-$50, and to GET OUT NEW GAMES. The second half of the year is covered, now get working on making a noteworthy game come out every month for the Wii U in 2014, like with the 3DS this year. The Wii U is awesome, it's powerful, and it's a breath of fresh air, but people need to know that first hand. I don't care how much money is costs or even if Nintendo has to take a loss this or next financial year, just get the thing in more people's homes, and then you'll see sales and revenue skyrocket.
Software sells hardware, and Reggie is absolutely right about that, SO GET THAT SOFTWARE OUT THERE!

McGruber

McGruber said:

I'm sorry but the 3DS has even worse 3rd party support than Wii U even after the sales have been decently strong for over a year. So for him to compare the 2 when talking about support is baffling...

Mizzah_Tee

Mizzah_Tee said:

@Linkstrikesback
I love how people skew numbers and outcomes to prove their flawed points that are completely full of holes.

"In comparison, the wii u is Nintendos biggest flop of a home console in history, undertracking the previous winner of that title, the gamecube, consistently every month since release."

LoL. What a fail of a comment. Wii U after being out for 6 months, is the biggest flop in Nintendo History. Does that even make sense. You're comparing the first six months of Wii U, to the first six months of Gamecube. Okay, I can do that too. Name another console that has sold more units in it's first six months. You can't. Wii U has sold more than every other console in the history of gaming after six months inclduing PS2, PS3, and Xbox 360. See, I can do it too and it means very little to the OVERALL success of the console.

Let me skew some more. Nintendo has sold nearly 4 million Wii U's WITHOUT a major first party release (New Super Mario U doesn't count). What happens when they release 4 in the second half of this year (Pikmin 3, Donkey Kong, Super Mario 3D World, Wii Fit U,) Not to mention Sonic, The Wonderful 101, and excellent games from Ubisoft which I understand are multiplats?

To call something a flop after 6 months based on sales figures and not upcoming games and support means PS3, Xbox 360, DS, 3DS, etc., were all flops based on their first 6 months sales. And you think Gamecube was a flop? LOL. Gamecube reaped huge profits for Nintendo. The ONLY console that could be considered a flop from Nintendo is Virtual Boy. It was an ill concieved device that Nintendo themselves abandoned.

I don't consider Vita a Flop because of it's sales only. I consider it a flop because it's not selling and Sony doesn't seem to care because they aren't supporting it with any significant games from first or 3rd party. Trying to sell it as a controller for the PS4, LOL.

LAA

LAA said:

I think for E3, this was really a moment for Nintendo to shine, but I dont feel they really delivered. I mean, of course, I am now very hyped to get my hands on the likes of SSB/MK8/DS:TF/SMW, but they really could have BLOWN minds with a Metroid announcement/Zelda Wii U tease and it feels disappointing as it seems theres no real point for owning a Wii U atm till august for pikmin 3...
As well as 3rd party support worrying me, but it seems to be the case nowdays for nintendo anyway and to me, thats why I think 2 consoles is pretty much mandatory for gamers nowadays, nintendo console for all the good nintendo games and whatever else unique nintendos consoles can only draw, and likely a PS4 for everything it can offer (I'll miss you Halo 5, but I'm not buying an XBone, wasnt looking likely before the reveal, now the coffin is well and truly sealed),
Another point though is I feel nintendo dont seem to really value 3rd party as much, seeing they simply flashed little clips of 3rd parties in a short video, I dont see Sony/MS treating 3rd parties like that in their conferences.
I am a little worried about Wii U's future atm, there is no way they should be comfortable with only being £50 cheaper than a PS4 and not only that, having few games to justify that price.
I'm also hoping that the summer update can bring achievements/true account system/messaging too, that'll restore my faith in nintendo more, but honestly, not sure they can hold out console wise next gen, in which I dont mean their games wont try force you over, they definitely will, but console wise, they just feel well and truly behind. I truly admire them for their innovation, but they should also adopt standards the consumers value, consumers want their purchases stored on account forever, consumers value the means to message any friends online, consumers value the ease of use to invite someone to their game or to join their game, they just seem to be missing out on value their console can offer.
For games, the Wii U definitely offers some nice gems to look forward to, the problem is these gems and far apart, while elsewhere, the gems are coming at a steady rate. The E3 also helped me see the Wii U isnt as big of a gap behind PS4/One as I thought it'd be, (but really even if it was just a little ahead of PS3 I'd be happy), so really nice to see the likes of Mario Kart 8 espicially wowing my graphically wise on the Wii U.

AcesHigh

AcesHigh said:

@Linkstrikesback If you think that they don't have stock of NSMB U and Lego City Undercover because they're not selling, you got to cut back on the glue dude. Besides the fact that these stores don't buy game stock via JIT (just in time). They have contractually bought these games a long time before. If they had em, they'd be out on the store floor. And if they had tons of em, you'd see them out on the floor in droves as well.

Regarding the games YOU are interested in, that's fine. I can totally appreciate that. But There are very few games I'm interested in on the PS3 right now (and yes I have 2 of them and 2 XBOX 360s) but I would be far removed if I said they were failures because they don't have what I want on them.

At the end of the day, NSMB U is one of those games that is STILL SELLING. And will continue to sell through the holidays. It just will. Whether you're a fan of it or not. It's already sold 1 or 2 million and is still sold out in a couple stores if not selling very well everywhere else. The same will be said of Lego City Undercover. Now, if you're only looking forward to Pikmin 3 and begrudgingly Mario 3D World, there are TONS of people (myself included) who are just as excited, if not more, for DK Country, Zelda Windwaker, 101, etc. That is about 5 times more games than I'm looking forward to on PS3 / PS4. It's just me. And probably a few more out there too.

The bottom line is these are all games that have their audience. And they will sell. Just because you don't like every one of them doesn't mean millions don't agree with you. And, most importantly, just because you only like two of these, it doesn't spell a death-knell for the Wii U. They have been making consoles longer than you've been alive. And they will continue to do so - whether they are in 1st place, 2nd place or 3rd place. I think Nintendo's Wii U will be just fine. Just have fun, buy the games you like, enjoy them and buy the games on the other system if you like them too. No big deal. just have fun!

GearsOfWarU

GearsOfWarU said:

AcesHigh ... killer band ... I live in Fredericksburg Va ... Did you get to see Maiden on the Maiden England Tour... thought it was Bloody Brilliant : ) .... Wish I could go to that Battle of San Bernadino Show... with Maiden, Megadeth, Testament, Anthrax & Overkill

AcesHigh

AcesHigh said:

@GearsOfWarU Thanks dude! Check out www.aceshighlv.com for some more video too.

Oh yeah! I'm going to the show in Vegas. Megadeth will be there too. I've been traveling to see them for years. The best roadtrip I've taken was to see them at Twickenham (The Twix) stadium in the UK in 2008. Frikkin awesome. Old guys RULE! LOL! :)

LOVE this classic lineup of Anthrax too. Have seen them 4x in the last 2 years! Get their new EP of covers. Pretty cool!

Dogpigfish

Dogpigfish said:

Now that I can rest and look back; Nindi has a killer launch this season and a handful of must haves right now. I thought the ps4 conference was good, but it's clear no titles are coming out for a great while. It really just gets summarized as a next gen system that really just looks the same to the common customer as its predecessor. I predict this will be a strong holiday season for ps3, 3ds and Wii U, everything else will bomb.

GearsOfWarU

GearsOfWarU said:

At this moment I own 11 Wii U games.... so thats plenty for the first 7 months of a console ... problem is only New Super Mario U , Nintendo Land & Lego City are Nintendo games... Darksiders 2, COD Black Ops 2, Resident Evil Revelations, Injustice Gods Among Us, Lego Batman 2 DC Superheroes & Sonic All Star Racing you can get on other systems... so they are great games on Wii U just not system sellers... if you havent got a Wii U ... then just play them on your Xbox 360 or PS3 .... This August -December Nintendo Drops the Bomb... Games Bomb that is ...Only on Wii U Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Breeze, Zelda Wind Waker HD, Pikmin 3, Wii U Party , The Wonderful 101, Sonic Lost World + other great games like Rayman Legends, Assassins Creed 4 Black Flag, Batman Arkham Origins and COD Ghosts ... so I feel when nintendo has tons of exclusives this Fall The Wii U will Sell Like Hot Cakes!!! To that I say Let's Go Nintendo

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

Im sure there will be a notable improvement, but I think "extremely strong" is overstating a bunch.

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

Eh. 3D World will ensure a ton of sales if Nintendo adequately advertises it, but none of the rest of the stuff coming out this year will reasonably move huge numbers of units. I'm sure Donkey Kong, Pikmin 3, the remastered Wind Waker port, etc. will all be fantastic, but they're not system-movers. I think I'd be much more confident in the Wii U's holiday sales if the new Mario Kart arrived by the holidays, but we know that's not going to happen.

GearsOfWarU

GearsOfWarU said:

I really dont get it ... Everyone seems to be in love with Sony ... for the simple fact they claim to be way different for microsoft... yet there games list for this Holiday look well quite frankly boring... Unless you have to have EA games... and Half of Sony's talk is BS ... as to play online you still must pay a fee... Xbox silver is free to but what good is it without multiplayer ... so u most pay to play with psn + .... they are also offer EA ect... the DMR option ( though they made it sound as if they were totally opposed to the idea... Where is the inovation... slightly improved graphics... well ... i didnt see anything that blew my mind... Sony & Xbox look stale... Shooter, Racer, Online ... ect... The Wii U @ least has The Gamepad & Miiverse to completely new console gaming idea's ... I just dont see anything that special about the other 2... and Wii U is a huge jump up from Wii ... were as ... PS3 to PS4 is basicly the same ecept Cloud saves and slightly better graphics... are people really that excited for final fantasy ... holy crap talk about a stale series that needs to be put to rest!!!!! PS. Sony Sucks !!! so does Xbone... Go Wii U im a converted Microsoft fan ( last 2 consoles were xbox & x360 )

HeatBombastic

HeatBombastic said:

@Linkstrikesback If you're going to compare a last generation portable console's sales for the first year with the 3DS's respective first year, let me just say that sales for the Wii U is better than the sales the 360/PS3 had in their respective first years so far.

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

With Pokemon, Zelda, Mario and Luigi, and everything else coming out in Q3 and Q4, I bet the 3DS will be by far the biggest winner this holiday season. The 3DS is a must-have at this point.

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

Reggie better hope that Reggie is right. Because I fear the jobs of Reggie and Iwata are going to be on the line.

Funbunz

Funbunz said:

It sucks that so many Wii U games got delayed, but I imagine the same thing will end up happening to Xbox1 and PS4. Obviously, I don't know crap about programming and whatnot, but it must take a huge amount of time to design the graphics. Either some of their launch titles will be delayed, or they will be awful, unplayable garbage.

Chabbox

Chabbox said:

The HUGE sellers have to be MK8 and SSB4.
Reggie is correct, they'll gain a MASSIVE boost, but just wait until 2014.

timp29

timp29 said:

If Reggie wants Nintendo to succeed again. He needs to bring back that wicked 'fro he had back in the 80s/90s. No coincidence that was when Nintendo was at its peak.

Riximus

Riximus said:

I think WiiU has a pretty nice library for its 1st year really. Here is what I play on it : All the Wii games I need to finish and some I didnt even start yet (RockBand parties, MetroidOtherM, RedSteel2 and No more Heroes come to mind..) 30 cents Super Metroid, NintendoLand, SuperMario U, ZombiU, AssasinCreed3, Need for Speed most wanted, Neo Nano Assault, Trine2, Zen pinball, watching Netflix..
I also enjoy spending time in Miiverse, some players create gorgeous art in there. Cant wait for the Artist app.

So sure, I was a bit disapointed with the big N at E3 but I do enjoy my WiiU greatly and I know Nintendo will support it for at least 4-5 more years.

X is the game that got me the most exited at E3 and I know Sega can replace EA sports games if need be. WiiU has a bright futur, players need to relax and enjoy.

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

Reggie, Agressively advertise the WiiU to have No Drm restrictions, Free Online Multi-Player and as the best home console for on-couch multiplayer games. Also show how Off-screen play 'out-of-the-box' without adition hardware required to be purchased, benifits those gamers often restricted when they can game based on when they can get use of the television, and how the second screen brings new gaming ideas and convenience.
Bundle the WiiU with Mario either the 3D world or NMSBU Aswell as Nintendo Land and include 4 Wiimotes and keep the Current price point.
This package would be attractive to most familys as it would include 2 games ready for on-couch multiplayer, and with advertising the points listed at the start it would temp those current Ps3/360 owners who are agains the DRM restrictions and having to pay a extra amount to be able to play games online to WiiU.
Also make a point to advertise the Nintendo Premium reward scheme on eStore purchases, as getting money back for doing something you naturally do with a system, 'by games' is attractive to consumers anyway, hense why so many retailer have been doing reward schemes for so many years.

bassoongoon

bassoongoon said:

I agree with Reggie. Wii U will find its market soon enough. I for one am going to go broke with all the games I'll be buying later this year! ;)

KAHN

KAHN said:

funny, i had this idea that PS4 and Xbone would also have a great release this holiday. they at least have 3rd party support oh snap!

MEGAMAN_D

MEGAMAN_D said:

In terms of games I believe nintendo showed off the best stuff out of all 3 companies.

The only reason everybody is in love with sony is because ps4 can play second hand games and doesnt require online check in's

But why should I be greatful for something that should come as standard ?

What I'm saying is, because microsoft look so bad it makes sony seem like saints. So sony are billed as the winners of this years E3, and to be fair the ps4 does look decent, but game wise what did they really show that looked "OMG, WOW"

But when I saw bayonetta 2, mario kart 8, and even wonderful 101, I got excited.

And thats more than I can say for the other 2 showings.

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

The ending of this year will be strong for Nintendo in general. With Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Sonic, Wii Fit, and Pokemon all releasing around the same time for Wii U & 3DS consoles, there's gonna be a flood of money coming to Nintendo headquarters!

AcesHigh

AcesHigh said:

@GearsOfWarU Not only do you have impeccable taste in music but you're spot on about games too. I too don't see how people can bag on Super Mario 3D World - a game engine that has only been seen ONCE - on a handheld - WITH totally new game play elements such as picking up items, throwing them to teammates and then at enemies and a new power up (cat) that actually looks like it enables some cool combo action and a little bit of finesse to the same 'ol - when all of the games shown for PS4 and XB1 are Battlefield 4, Halo 5, Madden 25, Assasin's Creed 4, Final Fantasy XV (15!!! And they pale in comparison to the originals) and Batman Arham<whatever 3>... It blows my mind how people love to bash on Mario but go and consume what the kids who are too-cool-for-school are stuffing down their gullets.

Me, I'm happy with pretty much everything coming my way on my Wii U this holiday season, in addition to the butt-load of great games on my 3DS and a few on PS3/4. What's to complain about?

Yasume

Yasume said:

@Ukulele_Wizard Dude, who's going to read that?

Reggie is going to be disappointed if he thinks that another MK rehash and a half assed Mario game is going to attract gamers. It's not comparable to the 3DS. SM3DL was new and fresh and people were craving for a new portable MK, not so much this time around. Besides, 3D sounds way more appealing than a gimmicky gamepad.

AcesHigh

AcesHigh said:

@GiftedGimp Nice article you linked to. I think he was saying that people have about as much chance of seeing Zelda on PS3 as they do Baynetta 2 or The 101. He's right. They are a developer - not a publisher. Nintendo paid them to develop those two games. No way in hell that Nintendo will sell the rights to publish those 2 games for competing systems.

Ukulele_Wizard

Ukulele_Wizard said:

@Yasume Well, I hope you at least read it. I don't think anybody is going to read it, but meh.
However, MK8 is not a rehash. I got a chance to try it out at a Best Buy demo, and the anti-gravity really changes things up. It is, by far, a next-gen looking game. And it really does look gorgeous. It plays smoothly and it's overall just a fun and enjoyable experience. I agree that the Wii U is not comparable to the 3DS, but 3D World, which I also got a chance to try out, was very, very different from 3D World. The boss level alone speaks for itself.

AaronB

AaronB said:

I know I'll have plenty of games to choose from this holiday season. I want 5 of the first-party Nintendo titles, and 3 of the multiplats. I think the two absolute biggest games will be Mario Kart 8 and SSB though; too bad they're both not coming until next year. The holidays should be good, and 2014 will be a doozy.

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

I think Nintendo is going to have a serious boost in sales when the big games hit and people realize the Wii U is actually a console... I can't believe some of my friends when they walk into my gaming room and say "why did you buy that stupid iPad-looking Wii controller?"...

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I already have a Wii U, but if I had to choose this holiday season between Wii U and PS4 (of course Xbone does not count) I would pick the Wii U again.

The PS4's specs and its price make it very attractive, but with the exception of Knack, I did not care for any other of the games they showed. Conversely, I will be getting a Wii U game every month from August to December, and that will be excluding the Wii brand sequels. So games indeed count.

As soon as Naughty Dog or Quantic Dream announce a game for it, then I will be interested in getting Sony's machine.

@GiftedGimp

Don't forget about backwards compatibility and being able to use all of your existing controllers and peripherals. I bought the Wii U and I haven't bought anything else in the way of accessories. That is a saving people always forget about.

wober2

wober2 said:

@sinalefa I am curious about Destiny, The Order and The Division. I might need to pick up another console for those...

LDXD said:

@KAHN ohh snap son but da xbone has nothing but drm restrictions and a horrible looking killer instinct ohh snap crackle pop! Wurd :/

fluggy

fluggy said:

Really unimpressed with the game announcements! A carbon copy Zelda remake-yawn, wonderful 101-quirky Japanese nonsense, donkey kong-looks like the same game as Wii version. Il Only get Mario 3D because I know my niece will like it. Only one I'm excited by is Mario Kart. They better have more up their sleeve or else my U will be on eBay pretty soon.

Yoshis_VGM

Yoshis_VGM said:

Like Reggie, I'm pretty confident that the Wii U will make a U-turn (geddit?). The lineup for the second half of 2013 is strong and full of first-party titles, along with several 3rd party games (Rayman Legends, Watch_Dogs, Just Dance, possibly CoD). The Wii U will sell pretty well during the holiday season. Nintendo is speculating to sell 9 million units...I'm not sure how realistic that is, but I'm gonna say that they'll sell AT LEAST 7.5 million, maybe 8. By the time Mario Kart 8 comes out, the Wii U will be flying off the shelves like hotcakes. Mario Kart does tend to do that. And by the time we get SSB4 and the brand new Zelda, the Wii U will be flat sold-out. I think Nintendo did really good at this E3. They definitely didn't blow the competition out of the water, but they made their presence clear and I see a strong Wii U revival in the near future.

Spartacus3765

Spartacus3765 said:

@BossBattles - post #40

That is fantastic and hits the nail on the head for what this generation of gaming has turned into unfortunately. I really miss the generation around the N64/Gamecube/PS1/Dreamcast/PS2 era where each platform was equally respected and everybody seemed to like each company. Now it's all about "this company doesn't know jack about the video game industry", as if everybody on these forums is some professional in the business.

We tend to forget, but unlike back then, games and their respective developers today are constantly under the microscope and perceived to have 'expectations' now instead of simply surprising us. That magic seems to be intangible as it constantly seemed to be back in those days. A lot of times, I think we expect too much from Nintendo, as it's very clear right now that they are going like crazy with the amount of software that will be available within the next year. Seriously, have you all taken a look at how many titles are in the works? It's staggering if you compare it to other first party developers.

Anyways, bottom line here, I wish there were more people out there like you in the gaming world, BossBattles. I've been an owner for all the consoles this last gen (PS3, Wii, 360) and there's quality in each platform. It'll likely be the same story this go around - Xbox One being the exception with their DRM deal. Although they may have stellar titles, people may be detracted by all the hoopla you have to do in order to play (especially used games).

thanos316

thanos316 said:

hey i wanna see games. 1st party games is cool. but the wii u need some third party support. the time for talk is over. gamers want to see games. and i am a gamer. you got to put games out so consumers can start talking about the wii u. its good that your out here talking but people wanna see games. you have a head start on the competition so u need to make the most out of it. quantity and quality is what we want now

WhiteTrashGuy

WhiteTrashGuy said:

I just think it's pretty short sighted to think that you can release the exact same franchises of games (ZELDA REMAKE, MARIO KART, MARIO 3D....) as you did for the 3DS to turn the Wii U around. Most of us who bought a Wii U at launch were 3DS owners as well. X is a great looking title, SMASH BROS. will be fun; but where was the suprise? I just don't think DK and the return of SMB2'S roster is enough.

NINTENBOY

NINTENBOY said:

Actually show some good ads for the thing and you'll be alright......it would be also nice if you put online on Mario 3D World like it that game obviously should have....

SirMario

SirMario said:

I suggest anyone with less than $1000 buy one of their reluctant friends a basic Wii U for Christmas with NO games. This will tempt them to purchased a game! Good idea or not? Hmmm...

JaxxRaxor

JaxxRaxor said:

Reggie forgot to mention that the 3DS got a significant price cut in addition to Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7. I think the Wii U will at least need a $50 price cut for both the basic and deluxe version to be "extremely strong" as Reggie puts it.

SirMario

SirMario said:

@Slapshot Put in Justin Bieber into any games and the games will sell millions in an instant. New Super Justin Bieber U= 14 million sold
Justin Kong Country= 10.3 million sold
Call from Justin: Black Ops = 50 million sold
All of this will translate into 100 million Wii U unit sold in a single year.

TheAdrock

TheAdrock said:

He has to say that. Hope he's right, but as I've said elsewhere: if they are wrong then they become Sega. N ought to be throwing every dollar and every resource into developing new original content and marketing the heck out of this console. Take no chances. This Christmas is big or they are done.

Rafie

Rafie said:

@LDXD Hahahaha :D:D:D That Killer Instinct game does look suspect. The fact that its f2p as well makes me iffy on it. They should have let Rare develop. I really wish that Ninty would have kept Rare exclusive to them.

LDXD said:

Whoa its free to play too wow that's even worse
I didn't know that.
that sucks

Rafie

Rafie said:

Yeah it's f2p! My heart sank after that and when I saw the gameplay. It's not the same...

Trikeboy

Trikeboy said:

Sonic Lost World, Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D World, Legend of Zelda Wind Waker HD, Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds, Pokemon X and Y, Rayman Origins, Wonderful 101.

Yeah, that's pretty good and it all starts in two months.

Trikeboy

Trikeboy said:

@Rafie The Killer Instinct video at E3 looked like it was made for E3. What I mean is, there is hardly any development behind the game besides two characters and a stage. It was rushed out the door because they knew people would be excited.

However, one thing to remember, this game isn't being made by the same people. Most of the coders for the original game left Rare a long time ago.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

Current Wii U games i have yet to play....NSMB.U, Nintendo Land, ZombiU, Injustice and RE; Revelations U. With the following coming out later this year....

Game & Wario, Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, Rayman Legends, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze leading into Super Mario 3D World for a Christmas December release. :D

With Mario Kart 8, SSB U, LOZ:Wind Waker U, Yoshi's Yarn, Wii U Party and Bayonetta 2 plus a slew of more BIG suprises in 2014. Yeah.....I'm, i'm more than satisfyed at this point. ;) Even though most of these Big N titles are playing it pretty safe.

Rafie

Rafie said:

@Trikeboy Ahhh I see. So Rare really isn't Rare anymore. Well now I don't feel so bad. I really wanted Nintendo to show me another Goldeneye game too. Hahaha I miss that game so much. I just hated when people got Oddjob. If we were playing...no one was allowed to get him.

I know Rare didn't do this KI. I think the dev's name is Double Helix or something. Anyway, I know it's unfinished, but I still am iffy on how it plays. I know some things can change, but keep some traditional attributes to the game. We don't need EX fireballs and stuff. Leave that on Street Fighter. lol

d_rock

d_rock said:

@Ukulele_Wizard WTF kinda smoke you on? If the 3rd party software is all you want, then why sit here and try to convince others that 3rd party support is all that they want???

I've looked at the list of exclusives for the PoS4... and there is absolutely nothing to make me want to buy that system and pay $60 a year to do so.

Doki Doki Universe (Also PS3 and Vita)
Drive Club
Gran Turismo 6 (Also PS3, plus had enough Grand Turismo after the 3rd one...)
Infamous: Second Son
Killzone: Shadow Fall
Knack (Sony's new Mascot? Where's Bandicoot?)
The Order: 1886
The Witness
Transistor

Wow... 9 Exclusives. Whoopee.

I've looked at the list of exclusives for the Xbone and the only game I would be interested in is Halo 4 or 5 or whatever.

Below
Unnanounced AAA Game (I want to know how it's Triple A)
Crimson Dragon
D4
Dead Rising 3
Fantasia
Forza Motorsport 5
Halo 5
Killer Instinct (Free Download?)
Lococycle
Minecraft: Xbox One Edition (??? Great use of that graphix power!)
Project Spark (Not really Exclusive, also for PC)
Ryse: Sons of Rome
Sunset Overdrive

That's 14 titles...

Now as for the Wii U...
Barbie Dreamhouse Party (Also for Wii and 3DS)
Bayonetta 2
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Game & Wario
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Winter Games (Also 3DS)
Mario Kart 8
Monster High 13 Wishes Shadow Secrets
Pikmin 3
Unannounced Pokémon Game
Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem
Sonic: Lost World
Super Mario 3D World
Super Smash Bros. (Also 3DS)
The Legend of Zelda Windwalker HD
Unannounced Zelda
The Wonderful 101
Wii Fit U
Wii U Party
X
Yarn Yoshi

There's only 2 games on that list that I wouldn't want to play... Barbie and Monster High... but my daughter would. I've not ever been a fanboy... My 1st game system was an Atari, then NES, then Genesis, then PS1, then PS2, then 360, then a Wii, and now a Wii U, why? Cause I feel Microsoft and Sony are focused on $$$, while Nintendo is focusing on fun and games!

Plus I don't have to go out and buy all new controllers, and I don't have to go out and also buy a Vita or a Tablet to get the experience that the Wii U is offering!

jorgem696

jorgem696 said:

I still have to save for my Wii U and Pokémon is coming in my birthday and I want to get my Wii U during Balck Friday so I could get my Wii U really and probably there could be some cool bundles and I'm waiting fir Super Smash Bros. until Spring so yeah I got wait a bit more

GearsOfWarU

GearsOfWarU said:

Totally Agree with you Aces High !!!!!!!!!! Nintendo Has an Amazing Fall Lineup with at least 8 games I plan on Buying Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends, The Wonderful 101, Sonic Lost World, Batman Arkham Origins, AC 4 Black Flag, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Breeze ,Wii Party U maybe COD Ghosts and Super Mario 3D World ... + Spring 2014 already has a solid lineup with Super Smash Bros Wii U, Mario Kart 8 & Bayonetta 2

CrabGats

CrabGats said:

We'll be fine, it's just going to take a bit. I have a feeling it'll start selling well once these games start coming out. And that'll attract all the third parties that turned their back on Nintendo right back to us.

LDXD said:

@Ukulele_Wizard the 3ds does have competition besides vita smart phones and tablets were supposed to put the 3ds out of its misery and at that point Nintendo was supposed to hurry and get out the handheld market before its to late and just stick with home consoles
Now the wii u is starting out slow and everyone is acting like Nintendo has no idea what they are doing and should stop making home consoles and stick to handhelds hmmmm glad Nintendo doesn't take advice from anyone other than themselves lol

banacheck

banacheck said:

d_rock

You need to add another 40 exclusives to that are in development as well as 100 other games that will be released in the first 12months.

I don't remember the Wii U having as many games including exclusives at launch, there is more games for the PS4 in its first month or two than what the Wii U has almost 12months in.

What i would like to know is if when these new games get released, what happens if sales are not as good as expected? do you have a plan B Nintendo? also with the PS4 being only $50 more are people going to look at the Wii U for value for money? Also software sells hardware as Nintendo knows, so when someone goes to choose a games console thay'll see at lot of software to choose from for the PS4, but not as many for the Wii U. I think this xmas will be interesting to see how things plays out,

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

@banacheck You do realise MOST of those games are small throw-away games availablev as cheap psn download titles, and generic seen-it-before shooters with shinier graphics.
Besides it's Quality over Quantity, I would rather see 12 AAA games recieving meta-critic averages of 90% than a Hundred Avarage games recieving a meta critic average of 70% over a year
Why don't you post you fanboy comments somewhere people give a damn what you think.

erv

erv said:

He's right, nintendo's lineup will stand out. Also, he's hinting at pokemon with nfc functionality on the gamepad, and enabling developers to do the same.

There's a lot of marketing words for that, but mostly it's "ka-ching".

LDXD said:

@banacheck giftedgimp is right also the ps4 is $100 more and that's not including the monthly online fee that people seem to dismiss why people keep saying $50 more is beyond me

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

@LDXD Not to mention price of ps4 games, here in UK games prices for pre-order are not listed or to be confirmed.. rumours are an extra £10 per game over ps3 games. (unless there's been an official Game price announcment the past couple of days)
I know this as my cousin pre-order his ps4 , and phoned about game prices so he could work out what games he could afford to buy at launch and was told they were estimating between between £50 and £70 depending on the game and hoped to have confirmation in the near future.

LDXD said:

We need to find out more about what the ps4 and its games have to offer before acting like its the bees knees hopefully its not a bunch of f2p games or junk as of right now we haven't herd enough

LDXD said:

@GiftedGimp yeah man I've herd they will be $70 here in the states and I don't like paying another fee on top of my already existing internet bill just to play a game

SirMario

SirMario said:

@LDXD Nintendo being the only one out of the three offering free online play should be a selling point for gamers. Graphic already looks good enough on the Wii U. Once multiplatform games come out on all three, I believe gamers are more inclined to pick up the Wii U version for free online gaming and unique play on the tablet. Time will only tell.

MAB

MAB said:

Americans don't have any sport games because EA is lame... Australia and Europe get the better sport game they really want this week because of 505 ;)

Untitled

LDXD said:

@KAHN lol that's funny considering you or I don't know much about it, there are rumors going around saying that sony is going possibly all digital drm for example also $10 monthly fee to play games online and a price point of $70 a game. But you think its so superior because its a more powerful system but then my PC walks in and "punches both ps4 and xbone in the face" and makes them both not worthy and one thing my pc can't do that my wii u can 2-5 player local co-op, off screen play and two player split screen on two separate devices actually that's 3 things that my pc can't do and ps4 or xbone sure as hell can't do so bring back something a little better than the ps4 is a savior console because right now it isn't doing much that hasn't been done already

LDXD said:

Man now that I look at it that way my wii u just punched them all in the face hmm wierd

MAB

MAB said:

WiiU punches everything in the face with its gigantic awesomeness bro ;)

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

@LDXD You and I and most sensible people actually see that WiiU brings more to gaming than either the Xbone or Ps4.
I got fed up of of partly MS direction they are going in, amd paying for Online and went to Ps3. The games felt no different, it was more like changing your tv to a different brand, apart from the odd feature everything felt and worked excactly the same and shown excactly the same programming. A year later ended up getting WiiU, and finally It felt that I had brought something new, and not simply switched brands.
I'm racking up 40+ hours a week on WiiU, Sometimes 50+, up from less than 10hrs per week on Ps3 purly as the games, even NSMBU feel fresher. Maybe its because I've been away from Nintendo for a decade so the games feel fresher to me, but considering playing on 360 & Ps3 games felt the same, on both systems but then Getting WiiU and finding games feel new and fresh again shows that Nintendo have some magic ingredient they add to games that others don't.
I shames me to think I'm a fanboy of WiiU, and I try not to be, it was easy with Xbox and Sony, but Sometimes I read back comments I've posted about WiiU and I see my post actually sounding Fanboyish. But in my defence I think that its down to the Sony, Xbox systems don't truely have anything that when written about sound really cool, but when you start saying how WiiU can do a lot of things the other systems can't (at least out of the box) it automatically makes a post sound fanboyish.

@MadAussieBloke lmao
@GiftedGimp Yeah I'm the same way, the wii u to me feels like a breath of fresh air and the xbone like I'm sniffing the back of a garbage truck
It seems like my comments may seem fanboyish to but the wii u actually gives me a very unique gaming experience for instance me and my cousin were playing sonic racing transformed for like almost 8 hrs straight and he don't even game aside from playing a card game or slots on his iPad, I told him bro I gotta get some sleep I got work tomorrow and he asked well when we going to play again. The thing is yes I could play this game on a ps3 or 360 but having complete separate screens makes it 100x better and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't play split screen, makes me wonder what mario kart is going to be like might have to hide it lol
I had the wii but mostly played retro games I grew up with in it aside from other m and SS. So I've been away for some time I think this is why I'm excited about mario kart 8 I haven played that since the 64 and I grow tired of the same old movie like games with the same gameplay. Im enjoying last of us but I think it will be my last game like that for a long time

LDXD said:

@MadAussieBloke lol that's how Nintendo should market the wii u have a commercial with a kangaroo wearing a mario bros t-shirt punching peeps who wanna play other systems

LDXD said:

@GiftedGimp you're also right Nintendo for sure has some special ingredient that gives them a special kind of flavor that no other games have
Me and my brother just had a conversation the other day his favorite games from last generation like me were dark souls and the mass effect series, I told him I Just got a wii u he didn't even know what it was or than Nintendo even had a new system out then he says boy I really miss those games theirs just something about them being fun to play and thats it Nintendo knows how to add that fun factor and to me is more important than graphics. A fun game is always a fun game graphics get old and won't bring me back to play after so many years

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

@LDXD I wasn't trying to call you a Fanboy, sorry if thats the impression you had.
Like you having shinier graphics does not equate to better games in my opinion.

LDXD said:

@GiftedGimp no lol I didn't think that if anything I think I called myself a fanboy
But seriously neither of us are because we game on multiple systems we just have our favorites at the moment
I think a fanboy games on one system and bashes another system for no reason that they have never even tried to play
Theirs good examples of this all over youtube I'm not going to throw names out though lol

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

@LDXD Lol so we both called ourselves as sounding like fanboys.
Thing is I have a ps3, covered in dust collected since January. I Originally intended to use this year to build up the WiiU as the family system fo me,my missus and kids to play together and then get either Xbone or Ps4 depending on what they offered.
Xbone for me killed my purchases with the stupid Drm system, Kinect Spying (only just found out renting films will incure an extra fee if more than a set, undisclosed number of people are in the room), Keeping the online subscription model and the seen it before games/gameplay
Ps4, Which is the most likely 2nd console for me to get, if I ever bother, killed my purchase for now at least due to Online Subscription and seen it all before games/gameplay.
The fanboys are blind to it but the gamepad can and does numerous benifits to a gamer, games and gameplay that out-of-the-box & without substantial extra investment you can't get on other systems.. and even then it will be hit-n-miss if games will use any ideas requiring a second screen as its not as standard (except all ps4 games can be played via remote play on vita.. if that works better than psp/vita remote playing Ps3 games)
The only reason, arguably to get a ps4, is for non WiiU 3rd party titles, but considering the online fee required for ps4, untill I see a few games that have original, great gameplay, with original never before seen ideas and not available on WiiU I'm not in any rush, and tbh I don't think there will be.
Besides Ps3/360 will be supported for another 4 years at least, Ps4/Xbone won't be replaced for at least 8 years meanwhile Nintendo will stop supporting Wii in 2 years (its slowly winding down now, and WiiU will be replaced in another 4 years, at least being the same spec, but probably being more powerfull than the Ps4/Xbone but using only on on Nintendo unique features to add to gameplay.

Sorry thats a long post... and it still ended up sounding fanboyish..lol

LDXD said:

@GiftedGimp Wow man thats the first time I've herd that to about renting movies holy **** Microsoft should be ashamed of themselves for that! I guess I didn't know because after hearing of the original drm I stopped paying attention to them, they aren't
relevant anymore and after this they can go straight to hell!
I was loving what I was hearing about the ps4 at first still do but that online subscription fee opened my eyes a little and like you said the ps3 is still going to be supported for a while so there's really no rush and if I do get one it would have to be for a single player experience now and for exclusive games because that's the only unique experience the ps4 could have the only game I'm remotely interested in is the witcher 3 but guess what I have my pc for that and I see know difference in the two oh ps4 has blu-ray but so does my pc and I don't have to pay fees to play my games online. I see no reason for me to get a ps4 anytime soon.

LDXD said:

^ why my post beak up like that I have no idea, typing from my phone

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

@LDXD Its the online fee's thats killed my purchase of ps4, I don't have a gaming capable pc, not by todays standards anyway, but I'm hoping that WiiU 3rd support picks up. Tbh I'm not even fussed if a lot of 3rd party games skip WiiU, as most are carbon copies of each other, but if support improves then WiiU will be enough for me.
Even if it doesn't, While A ps4 would be the cheaper option, I am considering spending more on a decent gaming pc, knowing that I can build/repair/upgrade it myself and to a higher spec than the ps4, aswell as not have to pay to play online.... or I may just decide to stick with WiiU and await the next Nintendo system.
What ever I decide it's not going to be untill the end of next year, so I can get the full picture on the WiiU's and Ps4's plus and minus points.

Ukulele_Wizard

Ukulele_Wizard said:

@d_rock I agree that the Wii U has the best exclusives, and like I said in my post, I think that the Wii U is the best system. But the big problem is 3rd parties keep putting it down. They put poor ports of year old games, charge full price for them when you can get them ANYWHERE ELSE for $10(I'm looking at you, Sniper Elite v2), and then they say they don't sell well because their audience isn't there, or because the Wii U isn't as powerful as a 360 or even PS3 cough EA chough. Of all the games you listed, the VAST majority were first party games, and a lot were games coming out in 2014.
So instead of comparing exclusives, compare third party games. Now there is where you'll see a HUGE difference.
And third party software isn't all I want. But look at the N64 or Game Cube. They had poor third party support compared to their rivals. The original Xbox outsold the Gamecube by only about 2 million units, yet it had many hundreds of more games than the GCN. Take a look at the N64 vs PS1. The PS1 outsold the N64 almost 3 to 1, and it had hundreds upon hundreds of more games than the N64. I don't care about third party games on Nintendo systems, never have, and most likely never will (except for semi-rare exceptions when the game looks great and receives high scores). But Nintendo NEEDS 3rd party support to win this generation.

Ukulele_Wizard

Ukulele_Wizard said:

@LDXD I totally agree with you: the 3DS does indeed have competition from smartphones and tablets. But, with the 3DS, what we see is a system priced considerably lower than smartphones and tablets and that has enough fantastic, triple a experiences to separate it from the crowd. And aside from that, I can honestly say, at least probably because of the fact that my sister always watches Nickelodeon ad Disney Chanel, where Nintendo advertises the most, I see more 3DS adds than I see iPhone, iPad, or Mac Book ads. In fact, I see more 3DS ads on YouTube than I see and iOS or Android product COMBINED. Seriously. The Wii U, however, is a totally different story. Nintendo advertised the 3DS, they aren't doing the same for the Wii U.

d_rock

d_rock said:

@Ukulele_Wizard Nintendo is doing it right. All round. It's not their fault that the developers are holding back their titles because Microsoft and Sony pay better... or paid them off, and I love that they are confident enough not to care cause they know the third parties are going to come running. So lets talk 3rd party non exclusives... cause as far as I've seen, the only ones worth caring about are Destiny, Titanfall, Battlefield, Call of Duty, and the Elder Scrolls Online. (Wow that list of games is huge) Oh wait... I can play them all on my PC. What I'm getting at is that 3rd party games are irrelevant if they're not exclusives. I'm not going to drop $560 + tax... just to play a game that I can already play on another system. When a family is looking to make a purchase this Christmas, with the rising prices of gaming platforms, their purchase will be a more informed and thought out decision. I'ma quote Reggie "This Holiday Season Is Going To Be Extremely Strong For Wii U"

d_rock

d_rock said:

XBone... $500. 3 new controllers. $180. Live. $60 a year. Games. $60 per.

Total: $800 to get started with 1 game, $620 if you hold off on purchasing the extra controllers, and hence hold off on playing with family and friends.

PoS4... $400. 3 new controllers. $180 - $210. (Controller's built in 'Move' functionality useless without the Eye, Seriously Sony??? WTF why even make new controllers if you're not going to include the Eye) Eye. $60, PS+. $5 a month. ($60 a year) Games. $60 - $70 per.

Total: $800 to get started with 1 game, $520 if you hold off on the 'Move' capabilities and want only a single player experience also.

Wii U... $350. Hey cool I can use all my old controllers! (And so can millions of other households who have already invested a large amount of money in their home Nintendo products! Maybe I'll pick up the pro controller with some of the money I saved! Pro Controller. $50. Hey cool I don't have to pay any additional charges to play online! Games: $50.

Total: $400 to get started with 2 games (Nintendoland which comes with + 1 more of choice)... $450 if I pick up the Pro Controller for those sweet 3rd party games I know are coming this Christmas!

Muzikant

Muzikant said:

I'm gonna be waiting until they will have a Wii U bundle with one of the Mario titles: mario U, mario kart 8, or 3dworld.

Pachterkid

Pachterkid said:

Oh Reggie, you’re nothing more than a PR man/talking head. While Iwata may be captaining the Titanic you’re the crew member running around trying to convince all the passengers that the ship isn’t sinking.