Four New Pokémon Make CoroCoro Appearance for Pokémon X & Y

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Basic character customisation also outlined

Yesterday we reported that more details were incoming for Pokémon X & Y, particularly in an upcoming episode of Pokémon Smash on 19th May, in which Junichi Masuda will feature. We also suggested, courtesy of Serebii, that details were likely before then with the publication of the latest issue of CoroCoro magazine. It turns out that was accurate, as the first images have emerged and seem to show four new Pokémon coming to X & Y.

You can see these in the main image to the right (click to enlarge), and Serebii has translated some of the details:

• On the far right is Gogoat, a grass-type riding Pokémon — 1.7m and 91.0kg, can learn Horn Leech.
  • At the bottom is Elikiteru, an electric/normal-type — a Generation 'mon that's 0.5m and 6.0kg. There's a new move called Parabola Charge to heal the user while damaging opponents, and it generates electricity using solar rays.
  • The bird on the left is Yayakoma, a normal/flying Japanese Robin Pokémon — 0.3m and 1.7kg, it can use the Nitro Charge.
  • The Panda-type creature at the top is Yancham, a Fighting-type Naughty Pokémon — 0.6m and 8.0kg, it has a new moves called the Parting Remark.

Serebii has also posted the cover (below) which seems to have the box art on the right side. Additional details are that the setting is to be called the Karos Region, which as suspected looks to inspired by France, while a key city is Miare City. There'll also be limited customisation of characters, which was also expected, with an image of that also taken.

You can check out the images below, and simply click to enlarge. What do you think of these details and the new 'mon? Let us know in the comments below.

[via serebii.net]

Shining-Void

Shining-Void said:

Very awesome. Though I hope you can do more with the customization. I really like that lizard pokemon. Can't wait to see more.

Morphbug

Morphbug said:

Pandapandapandapanda

I know what pokemon I'll be training but not evolving... Unless the evolution is equally awesome and not a common kungfu panda.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I like all four of them, especially the goat and panda, and the boxart looks nice too. The customization sounds like a good idea, although it's hard telling how far they're willing to take it.

Rensch

Rensch said:

The bird is really cute. The ability to ride that goat thing intrigues me as well. I wonder what the purpose to that is. Perhaps it will be similar to the roller blades shown earlier or the bike and the Running Shoes from earlier games. I wonder if it an HM move that works on land like Surf and Waterfall do in water.

GuardianKing

GuardianKing said:

After seeing the "customization" options, I don't know if I should kiss the GameFreak staff or punch them all in the face...

Zyph

Zyph said:

New Pokemon, box art, trainer customization, full X/Y trainer character art.
This game keeps getting better and better! :)

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

This is the first generation where the designs feel consistent with the last one to me. When I look at every generation, I get a different vibe from the design. But when I look at these I feel exactly as I do when I see Gen 5, my most favorite gen! I just love it!

Retr_acro

Retr_acro said:

I hope that those aren't the only choices for character customization and just showcasing 3 of the possible customizations.
As for the new pokemon. They look rather... OK? I don't know, maybe it's because I'm getting older and nostalgia is getting stronger for me?

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

Panda rules! Also Gogoat is pretty cool.
I think later on in the game you'll be able to buy glasses and hats to customise your character as well.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

The panda(!!!) and the ...horned...thing....look cool! The birdy's alright. That last one's kinda weird, but still not as bad as anything from Gen V.

Azikira

Azikira said:

Also, am I the only one who thinks Elikiteru looks strikingly similar to Mawile?

NoUsernameHere

NoUsernameHere said:

Oh,That Panda and that Lizard are mine.
And you lost me at the Goat and the Bird,But you had me again at the Trainer Custimization part.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@Azikira Yeah, it kinda does, doesn't it? Mawhile was wierd-looking, too (albeit purposely so, since it's back was supposed to be frightening, but it's front was cute)

Neferupitou

Neferupitou said:

The blonde girl is one of the new trainers? yes right? can someone confirm that to me?
Anyway, i,m HYPED for this game!

Gioku

Gioku said:

Gah... I continue to be disappointed by these new pokemon designs... But we've only seen a few so far, and I did like Yveltal and Froakie, so there's still hope. And I like the name of the move "Parabola Charge", and I think what it does is potentially useful... why waste a turn healing when you can damage your opponent at the same time?

Highwinter

Highwinter said:

@Rensch You can only ride the goat in the city and only the goat. Maybe that's something we'll see expanded upon in future games, along with character customisation. Here it just consists of picking between the three pre-sets, light, medium or dark skin.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

How could you ignore saying the goat pokemon is freaking rideable out of battle? Now if you can ride the Johto legendary trio, that would be a dream come true (literally)

Intrepid

Intrepid said:

These Pokemon actually look pretty good. Speaking of that, the boxart, especially for X version, looks amazing. I'm happy that we know the name of the region now as well.

As for the trainers, I'm interested in their bracelets. I know it's the typical Pokegear/Poketch, but I'm still curious.

Skeet102

Skeet102 said:

my favorite is oddly the electric type one. BTW, that fighting panda reminds me of something... Oh well, its probably nothing.

jpfan1989

jpfan1989 said:

Is goat! I love it! I spy with my little eye a feature to ride a Pokemon.
Robbin sucks but it beats starly, that panda! I wants it! Lizard is odd but cute.

Melkaticox

Melkaticox said:

lol Yancham

The panda and the robin are my favorite! :D

Also...sigh the trainers have official artwork...that means no customizable characters...

EDIT: Eh, nevermind. I'm blind.

mikeyman64

mikeyman64 said:

Just looking at pics of that magazine gives me a headache...

Can't wait for the new 'mons though! :)

Dizzard

Dizzard said:

Like the lizard, panda and the goat. A little uncertain about the robin but I feel that's more because of the poor side view they went with for the sugi art.

Not sure if I would have any on my team though, Gogoat is a possibility since I'll probably be going with Fennekin (and I haven't had a grass type pokemon on my main team since Roserade in Pokemon Diamond)

RetroGBHippie92

RetroGBHippie92 said:

I like everything I see here, customizable trainer, new pokemon, great box art, etc, just wonderful. The only pokemon I don't like the design of is Elikiteru, because it looks a little too cartoony, if you know what I mean.

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

I love'em, except that Robin. It's stupid and I will thunderbolt it to death every encounter if it doesn't have a cool evolution! The female trainer is so pretty this time too! The male seems really generic and dumb to me though. He reminds me of Egoraptor.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

I actually like 3 of these a lot, not so keen on the lizard but he clearly has fans here!

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

I want the panda creature thing... then I will evolve it into some ferocious blood-thirsty creature but still act like it's a nice cuddly panda bear :D

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

@CanisWolfred Doubt it is a mistranslation, looks panda-ish to me.The long ears and such are likely just rabbit-like features. Hell, it could be a hybrid of some sort like others but the panda is definitely there.

sonik

sonik said:

Eh Graphics is definitely below par, looks like mario 64 ds (first game released on the old DS 2004).

Loved red/blue and gold/silver then the series Went downhill for me.

Strange we don't get pokemon on 3ds vc?

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

@Melkaticox Is there rabbit in the name? ....and I just meant that I doubt it's a mistake. I can see the panda in it, it just isn't what we're mostly familiar with.

3Daniel

3Daniel said:

I really hate the glasses on the hat. That goat is awfully tempting but the grass starter is still going on the team.

Musharna

Musharna said:

Still no pokemon as good looking or better than me. I could of announced these 4 pokemon myself, but nobody would believe me and I'm not supposed to tell you.

MarvelMon22

MarvelMon22 said:

Elikiteru looks too much like mawile. if it were green, I would love it. also customizing ftw! just wish they had a girl with glasses.

WindWakerLink

WindWakerLink said:

I love how all the sites I've been on so far about these X & Y leaks give credit to serebii.net It's neat. (Chuckles) Another thing I notice is how so many people want to get that panda. XD XD Funny stuff.

I hope the customization will be more than just those 3 styles. When I saw that, I immediately thought of "Fire Emblem: Awakening." Maybe, I'll get to choose a voice too. XD

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

to me the goat seems like the hm slave at the start and the bird pkm at the start o.O seems the bird pkm is fire flying? thats kinda cool

AVahne

AVahne said:

I don't like any of them so far. Maybe not as bad as Gen 4, but even Gen 5 had better looking Pokemon.
I am liking the character customization though, but it seems it's going to be very minimal in this game. A pity...since it's supposed to be YOUR adventure in the Pokemon world. Not "guy or girl in hat whose named after the game versions"'s adventure, but yours.

Royalblues

Royalblues said:

HYPE MAN!!!!!!!
No game in the world right now is giving me more hype. I am glad you can change the skin color. Now if only you could do something about the hair........ Would like to see my character with an afro or cornrows lol.
Other than that, this is going to be freaking awesome!
That goat looking Pokemon looks like a mofo boss. Pokemon baby!!!!

Cirno

Cirno said:

GOGOGOGOGOGOAT!!!! God that name is so awesome.

Also mounts confirmed. You better be able to ride on Golurk's shoulder or else.

BlueNitrous

BlueNitrous said:

Check the news leak on Pokebeach for more info. They have a ton of new stuff there, like the starters final evolution's types, gym leader types, the new Fairy type, another Mewtwo form, etc. None of it is confirmed, but they got it from a fairly reliable source.

MrMario02

MrMario02 said:

People, the new region's name is "Karosu", not Karos.
P.S. I'm gonna get the goat and trample anyone who I don't like or doesn't do what I say.

EarthboundBenjy

EarthboundBenjy said:

@MrMario02 and you could also argue that Yancham's name is actually "Yanchamu", too. Point is, Japanese names have a lot of variability in the possible romanisation, so it doesn't mean much until we hear the English names anyway.

Meaty-cheeky

Meaty-cheeky said:

I really hope there are more trainer customizations besides changing skin tones, because I really don't Like that girly hat on the male trainer.

LtAldoRaine

LtAldoRaine said:

Finally some more new Pokémon.they are pretty cool. I assume the panda one will be an absolute baddonkey in its final evolution. And since the bird one can learn Flame Charge,I kind of hope that its final evolution is a Fire/Flying type instead of Normal/Flying. That would be interesting.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Is it clear if the "Trainer customization options" are actual customization or if all you can do is select 1 of 3 color sets for each gender?

Sammy23

Sammy23 said:

GO GOAT!!!!! I will admit, I'm pretty excited about the customization of the trainers. Not 100% sure on all the pokemon though, that might just be the nastalgia setting in though.