Nintendo Download: 7th March 2013 (North America)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

A Nano Assault, falling down a well, wild ATV racing and much more

It's Nintendo Download day, North America, which is particularly good news if you own a 3DS or like a bit of Neo Geo retro action on Wii — if you only have a DSi or Wii U, never mind. It's a packed lineup for the big N's current handheld, with a broad range of download-only and retail offerings, as well as a demo to give a useful taster. Let's stop stalling and get to the details.

3DS eShop

Nano Assault EX (Shin'en Multimedia, $14.99) — Every week a number of the Nintendo Life community responds to the download update with "where's Nano Assault EX?", in increasingly anguished tones. It's arriving in Europe and North America at the same time to ease our suffering, and perhaps reflects its status as an expanded version of a retail title with one of the eShop's highest prices. We expect a lot of action-packed virus blasting in pretty 3D, and while we get to grips with this updated entry you can check out our strong recommendation of the retail original in our Nano Assault review.

Kersploosh! (Nintendo, $2.99) — Arriving not long after its Nintendo Direct reveal, this title tasks you with guiding a variety of objects — ranging from pebbles to jewels — down a well safely while avoiding various obstacles. It's simple "one more go" fare, and slightly bonkers, but at a budget price is an attractive option; we gave it a thumbs up in our Kersploosh! review.

ATV Wild Ride 3D (Renegade Kid, $7.99) — This latest 3DS eShop release from Renegade Kid is a new version of a DS retail title, this time self-published and with a greater focus on stunts and generally looking rad. As a racer it has the usual mix of vehicles, tracks and tournaments to participate in, but it's likely to draw much attention for its full online racing component, with connected multiplayer a rarity in eShop games. While the online racing is enjoyable and there's a fair bit of replay value, we feel that this one also lacks polish and has some issues with design; check out our ATV Wild Wide 3D review for the full lowdown.

3DS Virtual Console

Wrecking Crew (Nintendo, $4.99) — An arcade-style NES puzzler that sees Mario don a hard-hat, this title is full to the brim with 100 stages and a strong sense of challenge and creativity. The Wii Virtual Console also included the original level editing tool and provided the opportunity to save your creations; hopefully the 3DS version will do likewise, but while we find out you can see our recommendation in the Wrecking Crew Wii Virtual Console review.

3DS eShop Discount

Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword (Nintendo, $4.99 until 14th March / normally $6.99) — This latest 3DS eShop promotion gives you the opportunity to feel like a samurai for a little bit less. A title focused on good timing and an old-fashioned concept of genuine challenge, we rather liked it in our Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword review.

3DS Retail Download

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D (Capcom, $19.99) — A relatively early title for 3DS back in 2011, this spin-off — expanding on the Mercenaries mode normally included as an extra in the main series — caused some controversy with its non-removable saves, though the Japanese download version reportedly resolved this restriction. With a good number of characters and stages this is score-chasing, zombie-slaying action, and little more. As we explained in our Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D review, that can be appealing with the right mind-set, and the lower price won't do this download's prospects any harm.

Monster High: Skultimate Roller Maze (Little Orbit, $29.99) — Launching on the eShop at the same time as it lands in stores on 13th March, this appears to be a 3DS re-release of the DS and Wii equivalent. It's all about rollerblading and racing, with four modes — Quick, Relay, Race and Timed — included.

3DS Retail Demo

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity (Nintendo, free) — This latest entry in the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon spin-off series arrives in North America in a little over two weeks, with more of the 'mon brand of exploration expected. If you're still on the fence about it, this demo may help you to decide whether it's worth collecting.

Wii Virtual Console

The King of Fighters '98 (D4 Enterprise, 900 Nintendo Points) — It's Neo Geo, and it's a fighting game, so you mostly know the drill. That said, we should be careful not to complain about all of the Neo Geo goodies coming to the Wii Virtual Console — this is the fifth entry in this particular series, promising improved customisation and mechanics over its predecessors. We'll get some sparring in and bring you a review soon.

Quite a few options to dive into this week; let us know what you'll be downloading in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (274 votes)

Nano Assault EX (3DS eShop)

10%

Kersploosh! (3DS eShop)

15%

ATV Wild Wide 3D (3DS eShop)

Wrecking Crew (3DS Virtual Console)

Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword (3DS eShop price reduction)

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D (3DS retail download)

Monster High: Skultimate Roller Maze (3DS retail download)

The King of Fighters '98 (Wii Virtual Console)

Just the freebie for me

27%

Nothing for me this week

26%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Karakato

Karakato said:

Definitely getting Nano Assault Ex especially since the original never shipped to my country, my Circlepad pro XL is ready.

Wolf

Wolf said:

Well I guess I'll forget about Zen Pinball 2... Nothing at all for me...

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

For the love of Miyamoto. Nothing more than an update to an NES Ambassador game, Wrecking Crew. I'm starting to think more and more nowadays that NOA is losing their touch in the online marketing strategy.

HeroOfCybertron

HeroOfCybertron said:

I will be downloading the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity demo updating Wrecking Crew and I might get Kersploosh!.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Nano Assualt for me but not for a little while since I'm tapped out for all the games I want this and last month. Looking forward to it though!

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

I can't believe I missed that earlier, DANG! Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates To Infinity DEMO looks like it should be plenty of fun.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@Rafie It is on the ps3, xbox, ios, android, and PC that's where it is!

Oh and according to Everly the newest toaster at the local Walmart! ;)

JRC72

JRC72 said:

I love nintendo always have just really unhappy with the piss poor job of promoting the system, lack of customer support ( still waiting for Tvii to list provider) and the FREAKING DELAYS ! Why have a Nintendo direct with the president of Nintendo announce Zen pinball 2 coming in feb and then not release it but also give no information why. Nintendo needs some serious business lessons.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Well nothing for me this week which is good cause I am broke for the month now. But at least I have Castlevania: MoF to play and later this month I will be getting Lego City.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

@JRC72: It might be Nintendo doesn't even know why its delayed. If anything you would have to contact the publisher and ask them.

@LordLzGlad: Dont you know everyone is a business expert here on Nintendo Life. :P

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Nothing more than an update to an NES Ambassador game

There's only ten of them, and they have to be released at some point for those who aren't Ambassadors. How many are left to do?

JRC72

JRC72 said:

Actually I have run a business before, currently do, I have contacted both Nintendo and Zen and both won't give a straight answer as to why it is not out. The went as far as to tell me it is not ready yet, guess the European players got a bad version @
@LordLzGlad

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

@LordLzGlad

I don't have a real major problem with the 3DS VC, trust me on this. But I'm just saying that if you look at other regions say for example like in UK , Australia and Japan , they all seem to have had a game like Kirby's Dream Land 2 for awhile where North American gamers still haven't saw the light of day for it yet. Same can be said for those other 2 GAME GEAR games, Sonic Blast and Sonic Labyrinth. It's probably more of the lines where a game like Kirby's Dream Land 2 never got to being mentioned yet, but at least by now, it should have arrived in the US about say like almost half a year ago by now. Same thing should apply for Sonic Blast and Sonic Labyrinth at least.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

Hmmm..I thought KOF 98 was already out. Oh well. I'll think about adding it to my collection

JRC72

JRC72 said:

@LordLzGlad. If you honestly think announcing a game that has already been delayed twice and then not making the third promised date is good business you sir are a silly goose and there is no hope for you

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

@serplux

It's funny you mention that about the NES Ambassador games being almost done with them having to wait to get Balloon Fight out last. If only Nintendo can get the message into clear view to at least try and start releasing some of the GBA Ambassador games out next instead of waiting to make a market for them on Wii U , then more ppl would be happy. GBA at least should have a well reserved home in the 3DS eShop one day soon hopefully. It can work.

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

I'll be updating Wrecking Crew and I'll probably get Kersploosh sometime soon. Does Nano Assault EX have all of the content that the original game has to make it obsolete?

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

I will probaubly get the mercenaries today and probaubly get nano assault the next time I get a card.

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

@undead_terror

Ya, I can't agree with you more pal. It's DEFINTELY been a long time coming, and then some until something I hope gets spilled at GDC 2013 or E3 2013 for a possibility of GBA coming to 3DS VC. IMO that's where it STRONGLY belongs instead of on the Wii U eShop. But with Nintendo , I guess they have their reasons.

Chriiis

Chriiis said:

I'm getting ATV: Wild Ride 3D, the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon demo, and I'm thinking about Kersploosh!.

Where is Zen Pinball 2 though? :(

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

Why oh why did they not have any kind of Wii U VC on day one.

Nintendo, you seriously need to give us a MKU or SSBU demo before release coz this is killing me!!

JRC72

JRC72 said:

There is no reason the shouldn't have had virtual console day 1 , a huge library of games even old ones could have really boosted sales

zenverak

zenverak said:

Hmm....... what is going on here with the DLC for Fire Emblem. Last week they sent out a spot pass which talked about them releasing EXPonential Growth.. EVEN THOUGH IT HAD BEEN OUT FOR A WEEK. It was supposed to be another map this time. And now we still see nothing? FOr the love of everything... what is going on?

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

I own the original Nano Assult, and I highly recommend it to people. I got more than 11 hours of enjoyment of it so far with the online leaderboards and what not making it worth replaying levels. And the Survival Mode, outside of the main game itself. I'll probably boot that up to see if the leaderboards are merged and there is more people on there to compare scores to.

I think I'll be picking up the Samauri game on discount. I like the fact, like Nano Assault, it has stuff to do outside of the main game. And things to use my steps on is great! Getting tired of just using them all on steps, puzzle pieces and kid Icarus stuff.

rjejr

rjejr said:

My Pokemon obsessed kids don't want Mystery Dungeon - they've tried but disliked those and the Ranger games - so maybe I should save us all some money and keep them away from this demo b/c it sure looked interesting to me ;-)

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

It's too bad that I already have Sakura Samurai because that is a pretty good deal for the game. I will definitely be trying out the Pokemon demo today though.

Emaan

Emaan said:

I'll be downloading the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon demo later today :3

Lylvia

Lylvia said:

Nothing for me. No Wii U love this week at all :( This is a week where I wished I owned a 3ds.

DrKarl

DrKarl said:

I'll be checking out the Mystery Dungeon demo. I really liked Shiren on the DS.

Gen0neD

Gen0neD said:

Yup. Looking for Zen 2 here myself. Anyways, grabbing Kerploosh ( hate the name btw ) and EX. Gave my vote to Kerploosh to show the little guys some love.

FOREST_RANGER

FOREST_RANGER said:

@JRC72 Legality issues is what probably keeps Nintendo from releasing many of the older games on Virtual Console. I believe that many of the companies who owned those old game IP's had faded away, and so there isn't any real company to secure those IP's. It doesn't sound ethical for the company to simply release those games on VC if they don't belong to any qualified legal entities.

Shiromikio

Shiromikio said:

Will look into the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity demo, that's about it this week. I just started FE:A anyway, will be playing that and its DLC packs.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

I really don't understand why the US hasn't got Kirby's Dream Land 2 or Zen Pinball 2 yet? I've been playing those here in the UK for weeks now. I suppose the US got Kirby's Dream Land 2 on the Kirby collection on Wii at least whereas the Kirby collection was never released here :( Zen Pinball 2 though, i really don't understand the delay with that. As for the Fire Emblem DLC...they might be waiting until the game's launched in Europe (although I do think that would be really unfair to the US customers who've paid upfront for it).

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

Not sure if I will pick up Sakura or not. It is a good price I just don't know if there will a game I will want more in the future.

Kaboom

Kaboom said:

Anyone who doesn't already have Sakura Samurai needs to get it NOW.

I'll be getting Nano Assault eventually, but right now I'm saving my eShop cash for when Mutant Mudds has its turn going on sale later this month. So this week it's just that Pokémon Mystery Dungeon demo for me.

JRC72

JRC72 said:

@FOREST_RANGER
Nintendo owns the old Nintendo titles, to have to go thru the "wii menu" on the wii u is a extra step, virtual console could have been released for wii u and at least the Nintendo first party games could have been on that

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

[Lots of stuff released, old retail games given big discount, budget options, demos...]
"WHERE'S EVERYTHING ELSE!?"
I grow weary of this more every week.

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

Funny how even when Nintendo releases a bunch of stuff everyone complains (some weeks in the past they released one thing).

Also, Nintendo said from the start that GBA games would NOT come to the 3DS VC, they were just an EXCLUSIVE treat for ambassadors.

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

@ShadJV Nintendo never said that they never bringing GBA games to the public, they just said they just currently had no plans, so that could possibly change in the future, there's a difference. But I definitely agree with the first part of comment about everyone complaining when Nintendo actually releases plenty of stuff tough, I think this week was really good.

FOREST_RANGER

FOREST_RANGER said:

@JRC72 Well, then the Wii VC games from Nintendo can already be played on the Wii U, though it isn't convenient of having to use the Wii mode to do that. Why exactly this happened? I don't know. But since the company has been running for over 30 years by experienced people, I can only trust that they have some sort of decent reason.

zenverak

zenverak said:

I normally don't complain about stuff not coming out, but I find it kind of annoying that they make an announcement through spotpass about a DLC that was out the week before and then don't tell you why the stopped updating the DLC like they had been one at a time. I also think that most people just want to hear something. Having said that, they have done a much better job about giving us titles to download overall.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@Five-seveN It wouldn't be the first time this has happened but I'm wondering if its really suppose to be there or is NL going of the Twitter they seen yesterday. Otherwise Nintendo of America might not be aware of it to be honest.

Chriiis

Chriiis said:

@ShadJV What are you talking about, haha? People have complained like 95% of the weeks we've had so far. You can't really argue that the VC has been treated well lately either, I think that's one of the biggest complaints at the moment. :/

Also, like @MrSRArter pointed out, they simply said they had no plans of bringing them to the VC, not that they aren't. I really doubt they would make them for the ambassadors if they had no plans on bringing others(seeing as we know that they can bring them) at some point; After all, we still got them for free and likely wouldn't be the same ones anyways.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Yeah but lately if it didn't come from Nintendo directly then I'm sceptical about it. The Nintendo direct twice said Zen pinball 2 was coming but it didn't happen so!

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@Tech101 Glad it's appeared! Just as reassurance, we always wait for the official information from Nintendo, no guess-work on what downloads are coming :)

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@ThomasBW84 I figured you did since its why this posts so late. Now if you guys can contact NA and figure out what's up with Zen Pinball2 I'm sure you would make a lot of people happy!!

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

Excellent, KOF 98, i have it in Orochi Saga but that means we will see soon KOF 99 to 03 very soon and i want it all!!

KillerGBH

KillerGBH said:

omg nothing for WII u thats so pathetic when u see console like playstation 3 getting around 10 new games a week what about us WII U . a big nothing they really need to improve the Eshop cuz sorry but it suck bad at moment

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

I still see no reason to assume they'll bring GBA to the 3DS VC. If they were, why not have announced it yet? They have ten titles completely ready. They're focusing on bringing the GBA titles onto Wii U instead. They announced it for the Wii U that hasn't been out for even a year but not for the 3DS that's been out for almost 3 years.

sirgrim

sirgrim said:

Nothing for me. Good thing I just picked up the amazing spiderman yesterday.

Unit_DTH

Unit_DTH said:

@3Dash Try using the outrealm gate inside your game!!! That's where almost all of the DLC is housed. If you can't find that then you haven't beaten chapter 5 yet. If you haven't beaten chapter five then you most likely won't be beating the outrealm challenges either.

Unit_DTH

Unit_DTH said:

@KillerGBH Then you need to tell it to the devs... Nintendo can't make devs deliver games to the eShop! I have been going to all of the Nintendo licensees websites, the ones that have active sites, and pleading with them for Wii U releases, but I'm only one person! If we could some how band together to give these devs the incentive they need to bring their games to the Wii U, then we might not have so many DRY months for the Wii U and for the eShop on the Wii U! Here is a link to the 3rd party licensees of Nintendo:

Go there and you can join in my quest to incite enthusiasm in these devs for the future of the Wii U! I'm only one person, but if we all stand together and flood their inboxes with our desires to have them produce for the Wii U... Then I'm sure we will see fewer and fewer game droughts on the eShop!! Who's with me?

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

Also, to everyone complaining about the lack of Fire Emblem DLC, I don't know what you're talking about, there is new DLC today, calm down!

sirgrim

sirgrim said:

@Unit_DTH Yeah Wii U version. I'm about 2 hours in so still coming up with my full ideas. The controls work smoothly and there are lots of cut-scenes and I like being able to look around during them (checking out Gwen while boring dude talks). I do notice a small graphics glitch during the cut scenes that is distracting, but a minor gripe. The fight system works well.

Drobotic

Drobotic said:

Zen Studios is starting to lose my trust and patience.It's been almost 2 months now.HURRY THE CRAP UP!

nf_2

nf_2 said:

Pretty good week, especially including the Fire Emblem DLC (it's there guys, I promise). Downloading the Mystery Dungeon demo, even though I still need to try the Monster Hunter, Etrian Odyssey, and Castlevania demo.

Windy

Windy said:

just the ATV for me this week. thank god cause I really been hitting the downloads the passed couple months. For you PSP and PS3 owners sorry to get off topic but Im giving a shout out that the PSN shop is giving away 4 free downloads this week in their shop. so if you own a PSP or PS3 get over there and get your free copies of Patapon, Wild Arms, Piyotama and Patchwork Heroes. great deal for free and I think its for a very limited short time. Man I love free stuff! hope I helped out some that might not have known

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

How do I vote for 2 things?
I plan on getting Nano Assault and RE:The Mercenaries 3D.

Suicune

Suicune said:

"This latest 3DS eShop promotion gives you the opportunity to feel like a Ninja for little bit less."

You mean Samurai, right?

RR529

RR529 said:

Kersploosh! & the Pokémon demo for me (man, it's been ages since I've played anything Pokémon related).

Zemus-DJ

Zemus-DJ said:

@ecco6t9 I have to admit I'm confused why the states have yet to get castlevania :( here's hoping to "soon" and even more hoping that we will see the 2nd one which IMHO is the best of the NES onces :)

PopeReal

PopeReal said:

I guess I will put Zen Pinball 2 out of my mind for now. LEGO City will be out soon anyway! :D

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

The 3DS VC needs some Game Boy/GBC games again soon (like Zelda Oracles). I don't get this preoccupation lately with only NES titles! Titles which you can already get on Wii VC. Thinking it through, you might think that it's because old GB/GBC games aren't selling as well. Well, you look at the top 20 3DS VC games and 6 of the top 7 games are GB/GBC games (including #1, Link's Awakening DX), and only 7 out of the top 20 are NES games (to 11 for GB, 1 for GBC). That leads me to suspect that many feel as I do, that they'd like to see old handheld games on another handheld, and old console games on a console! I'm happy for 3DS VC support (especially as dry as it's been for Wii VC in the past). I'd just like to see some variety, like GB/GBC games and games that aren't already available somewhere else.

Also... at this rate, Neo-Geo games are at least going to surpass the number of Wii VC SNES games, LOL.

Birdman

Birdman said:

Uh, the PMD demo and Wrecking Crew update (duh), Sakura Samurai (since it's on sale and I want it), and Kersploosh! for me.

Cosats

Cosats said:

Zen Pinball 2 is an excellent game and worth waiting for. But it has some minor issues and maybe they're taking care of them.
Known issues in the European version are:
1. Problematic leaderboards loading
2. Randomly mono sound output of background music
3. Not Support for Non Latin Mii Characters on leaderboards
4. Intro loading music at really maximum volume
5. Purchase not linked directly to the eShop (that seems to be Wii U's problem though)

Unca_LzStaff

Unca_Lz said:

@JRC72 Then surely as a business owner, you know that sometimes things happen that changes plans. You can't fulfill every promise.

Fingeldor

Fingeldor said:

I did not like the Pokemon Mystery Dungeons at all. Granted, I've never played anything but regular Pokemon games. Too much fluffy dialogue, the movement controls in the dungeon are awkward (RT to move diagonally?) and frankly, there's not much 'mystery' in the dungeon - the occasional monster and that's really it. It takes entirely too long to get anywhere or do anything and once you do, it's extremely lackluster. I think I was expecting something along the lines of Mario & Luigi but that's my mistake. Loved Pokemon Black/White but this is not for me. I hope they'll release a Luigi's Mansion demo - I've got to buy one of these games to get the Nintendo download promotion.

Beau_Skunk

Beau_Skunk said:

Am I the only one excited for "Wrecking Crew?" I loved that game personally. Just a question about it... Does the 2-player work like in "Super Mario Bros." on the 3DS, (Using the Y-button to alternate it) and does it also feature the ability to save custom levels like the Wii version does? (Even when not using the suspend/restore point feature.)

defrb

defrb said:

So little Wiiu Love,. do they remember they released a new console a few months ago.

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

I grabbed Kersploosh!, the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon demo, and the update for Wrecking Crew. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Mega Man 3 for the 3DS VC next week!:)

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

Wow lame. I can't get it right now anyway (no funds) but I at least want to know if my SD card is big enough for it. Least they could've let you see the filesize even if you don't have any funds.

GamerFromJump

GamerFromJump said:

@3Dash: They're out. Go to Outrealm Gate in the actual game, and update. Unless you have a high level team, you will not have a chance in Infinite Regalia. Golden and EXPonential are great for grinding, though; just make sure to check the battle predictions first.

@Windy: Thanks for the heads up! I haven't been to the PSP store in a long time, because there's still so much 3DS stuff I'm after.

@Draken18: Not much; maybe 1,000 or so.

@KnightRider666: Agreed, best in the classic, though GB MMV is up there (and where's the VC for that game, anyway?)

GamerFromJump

GamerFromJump said:

Also note that Nano Assault and Resident Evil aren't on the front page; you'll need to search for them.