Nicalis Would Like To Bring Monaco or Spelunky To A Nintendo Console

Posted by Andy Green

Fez is "not even a consideration"

Phil Fish caused a bit of a stir over the weekend when he took to Twitter to say he felt Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate was more suited to the PlayStation Vita than the trusty 3DS.

One game that has never made it to a Nintendo console is Fish's biggest creation, Fez. We here at Nintendo Life decided to find out how many of you would like to see it made available on the Wii U or 3DS eShop by sending out a tweet calling for Dan Adelman, Phil Fish and Nicalis to get talking.

Tyrone Rodriguez of Nicalis decided to reply to our little tweet to let us know he'd rather work on a Nintendo version of Monaco: What's Yours is Mine or Spelunky than Fez.

This is certainly an interesting development and we'd be very pleased if either managed to emerge on the Wii U or 3DS eShop. Monaco: What's Yours is Mine is due to be released on PC and Xbox 360 in April, while Spelunky has been on the Xbox 360 since July last year - it's down for a PlayStation 3 and Vita release this Summer.

Would you like to see Monaco: What's Yours is Mine or Spelunky come to the Nintendo eShop? What about Fez? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.

[via twitter.com]

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

What I'd actually like to see first is for Cave Story to become available somehow to those in Europe.
Granted I already bought CaveStory+ on Steam and had a blast with it - I would have preferred to have that option. :/

Linkstrikesback

Linkstrikesback said:

@Geonjaha

A certain eshop dev on neogaf let it slip that his game only sold around 1/3rd the amount in Europe that it did in North America, which is probably why Nicalis aren't in any sort of rush to get games out in Europe :(. They've probably had similar results with VVVVVV and Nightsky :(.

Still sucks though.

NintendoLel

NintendoLel said:

@Optimist_Prime As do the people who actually care about this.

Fez is a terrible game, yet Nintenyearolds are crying about its creator being pretentious. Stop giving him attention and he'll go away. He's pretty much trolling at this point.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

Hey guys, please, let's keep the comments focused on the article at hand. If you don't have anything to say about it, then please don't say anything. Thanks in advance! :3

ueI

ueI said:

The only Monaco I know is the country.

Why doesn't Tyrone Rodriguez want to port Fez?

AVahne

AVahne said:

As if I didn't like Nicalis enough, these guys are definitely on my good list now.

Tethers

Tethers said:

Phil Fish, the developer of Fez, seems to be such an arrogant person, that I don't want his game anymore.

doctor_doak

doctor_doak said:

BOTH!!!

Spelunky HD is amazing (but hard)...and Monaco looks incredible, and would be totally awesome for a 4 player local co-op experience.

Make it happen Nintendo!

Bobhobob

Bobhobob said:

Monaco looks super duper awesome!
I would rather buy it on a console, as the PC controls look a little too complicated for me based on gameplay videos.

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

So with a tweet about a game's port Nintendolife opened a possible chance for 2 games' ports? O.O

You should do these tweets more often guys!!! ^O^

KAHN

KAHN said:

i just am not interested in fish anymore, to the point where i don't care.

Bucbanzai

Bucbanzai said:

Both would be good but Spelunky should be first can alway use another challenging platformer

daggdroppen

daggdroppen said:

i agree that Spelunky looks best! but i wonder how it will work in 400X240 when the original is like 720p.. (i guess??)

psycoticdev1l

psycoticdev1l said:

Glad I never bought Fez. Even if it comes to the 3DS, I refuse to support a developer that has very little (virtually zero) integrity. Shame, because I played the demo for Fez and it seems pretty decent.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

And there goes two more games I've never heard of until today. Got to love the Internet.

That's one reply down, two to go with I'm guessing 2/3 of Nintendolife waiting for Fish.

WiiULoveSquid

WiiULoveSquid said:

Way to be constructive NL!

Talking about more games to more places and to more people is the only way to go. If gamers want a healthy robust industry, many of them need to let things roll off their backs a bit more and stop drawing lines and being so territorial. There's enough of that on this planet as is.

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

I haven't played much of Fez on 360, but from what I've played so far, it's great, and at this point, yes, I probably would buy it again on Wii U and 3DS. Even just so I'd have a non-glitched version.

WiiULoveSquid

WiiULoveSquid said:

Thank you NL for the quality articles. some of the kickstarter news has introduced some great products I wouldn't have heard of. I happily read all the ducktales articles and still crave more exposure of that project. And this is the best of the recent Fez posts for me. Don't stop!

NintendoNaut

NintendoNaut said:

Agreeing with @Pixelroy — This site isn't strictly "news." It has a lot of fun articles too, which is what makes is such a great and unique site.

Bucho

Bucho said:

Fez is just an ok game, i love Nicalis and don't want them to lower their standards getting mixed up with it after all the amazing games they've brought to our nintendo consoles.

WiiULoveSquid

WiiULoveSquid said:

I'd probably like Spelunky more than i did cave story so that'd be great if they could swing that to a Nintendo console.

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

Prof_Elvin_Gadd said:

I'm sure Fez is a good game, but Phil Fish is a massive tool. Twitter is not such a good thing for people like him. "Oh wait that made people mad? I did say that but I didn't mean it like I said it... Let me clarify what I said..." You know... Those types who just shouldn't say anything at all.

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

Yes. I want to see all of these games come to Nintendo's consoles - including Fez.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

I'm bored of the endless snidely remarks between indie devs, and indie devs vs the world. Grow up, folks.

KoiTenchi

KoiTenchi said:

Are Monaco and Spelunky also games by Phil Fish or are those created by other developers?

I can't say I know much about them.

LordGeovanni

LordGeovanni said:

I am actually watching a 76-movie Let's Play of Spelunkey right now... It is the XBox360 version and I was just thinking that i would drop $10, (maybe $15), just to play Spelunkey myself. (The PC version would be interesting, however i am useless on setting things up like that and never can have something that requires y computer to concentrate too much to run... :( )

I was actually thinking about asking for Spelunky but I figured that Microsoft would have one of their "deals" be a major lawsuit if the game was made for another system... Is that not right?

nastobi123

nastobi123 said:

why dont he release all his stuff to Vita ? loving donkeyhole, nobody is going to buy your game on a Nintendo console, you caused a an undying flame lover

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

I'd pick up both games. :)

And wow. Really bad decision with that patch update Phil. >:c

SunnyShores

SunnyShores said:

phil fish is a donkey. i wouldn't play "fez" even if it was free to download. nintendo will be just fine without it

JSuede

JSuede said:

Fez was fun for a little while, then better things came out and I just kind of go "meh" when I think about playing it. I was okay, but nothing that special.

I haven't played Spelunky but it looks better than Fez in my opinion. Looks more like the hard, old-school games of my childhood. Fez had the design, but there wasn't a penalty for dying...you just reappeared.

Monaco is pretty sweet looking and could be really fun on the gamepad. Not sure if any touch screen type stuff could be implemented, but the game looks really fun. Could even do local co-op with Wii remotes and so forth or online and chat through the pad.

I say Monaco and Spelunky should be ported and Fez should be left alone. Phil Fish is REALLY bad at PR and doesn't want to do any work...just wants to sit back and earn money.

datamonkey

datamonkey said:

That's very nice Nicalis, but I'm still waiting for Cave Story+...

Please release it in Europe!

JMDS

JMDS said:

I think it's important to remember that Fez can still be a good game even if you don't like what Fish had to say. He doesn't seem to like something that you like. That's fine. This does not affect Fez in any way whatsoever. The game does not in some way contain or brush off onto the player what some perceive to be his "toolness". Why is there even so much of a focus on him right now? I don't get it. He made some comments that big Nintendo fans would get all fussy about. Maybe THAT'S why there's a focus on him here. Fans like over-defending their stuff. Self-validation.

Personally, I'd like to see all three of those games on Nintendo's stuff. I haven't played any of them yet, but would like to.

Traxx

Traxx said:

The point is, that fish guy bashing on my beloved MH3U and I'm having a blast with the game even on my 3ds small screen without any circle pad pro attachments whatsoever... He's just a full MH noob and now whines about it. Thats why he is a douche, simple as that.

On a other note: I never have heard of games like fez, monaco or what ever bullcrap iOS shovelware. Why are those games even a topic? Why should I be worried not being able to play them on a nintendo system? Why? Life goes on.

LordessMeep

LordessMeep said:

And this is why Phil Fish should start watching what he says. Twitter is certainly not the platform for him because with the character cap, it's very easy for one person's words to be misinterpreted. It doesn't matter if Fez is a good game, Fish is only putting off potential customers with his rants. Rodriguez's follow up tweet ("Because he doesn't seem to respect his players") pretty much hit the nail on the head.

I had never heard of Monaco till now but I already love the idea of it's four-player co-op on a Nintendo platform.

malki

malki said:

Spelunky would be great on Wii U or 3DS. I didn't get it on Live Arcade, but if it was to come out on eShop, i'd take that as a sign for a must buy!

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Spelunky looks awesome. Would be great on the Wii U.
Monaco also looks good. It could maybe even use the GamePad in a good way for single player and especially asymmetrical multiplayer sneaking.

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

Just checked out Monaco (awesome retro-styled co-op heist game!) and Spelunky (rouge-like platformer may not be for me) and they're both totally awesome! Therefore, Tyrone of Nicalis is awesome!
It is disappointing that Tyrone isn't porting FEZ "like it or lump it" to the WiiU due to "certain circumstances". Though I would love to see what Fish will post to Twitter if FEZ does get ported to a nintendo system if Phil decides to help port the game or not.

WreckItRyan

WreckItRyan said:

I would play both... and I am finding the spotlight on Stinky Fish to be quite entertaining... "The Fetish of Fez!"

lebad

lebad said:

Where is cave story + for 3DS ?
Your question is only for US people, if we (European) wanted these games Nicalis will not take into account our demands :(.

grimbldoo

grimbldoo said:

@Raylax #39
It wasn't a snide remark. It was his opinion after Fish's attitude had turned him off. He probably would have been fine with doing Fez if it wasn't for Fish's loud mouth (fingers).

Anyway...give us both of those games!

jenisnape

jenisnape said:

@JMDS I think that how companies and their employees act does affect if the consumer purchases from them or not. I no longer will support Rogers in Canada because they are a bunch of jerks (who basically have a monopoly). I choose to get my internet from a smaller company that doesn't leach off of a Rogers line because I don't like them as a company. I also will not buy Fez because Fish is a jerk.

So to stay on topic and TL;DR, no I would not buy fez. Even though I think it looks like a cool game. And I had already come to that conclusion before he started bashing on Nintendo...so no self-validating here.

tanookisuit

tanookisuit said:

@Sensei_PikPik He's a pretentious self absorbed fool. And I agree, comments like that with no actual reason other than a non-answer or some personal baggage takes any game of interest off my purchase list. If a game were a retail version in cases like that I'd buy used so I don't cut myself out if a game existed I wanted.

sweetiepiejonus

sweetiepiejonus said:

Would definitely buy Spelunky. I didn't know anything about Monaco but after researcing it a little, I'd probably end up getting that too. I also have no interest in Fez anymore. I used to not care about Fish's stupid comments but he just keeps baiting people. If he would have left it alone I wouldn't have minded and probably bought Fez too.

softserve

softserve said:

I wouldn't even argue that Nicalis respects its players. They re-release things several times with minor changes, they essentially stop updating anyone on progress with other things and delay beyond belief. If it wasn't for Cave Story they'd have published almost nothing.

I mean, maybe they're not making asinine comments constantly, but when they've milked one franchise and basically been a death touch on others (La Mulana?), why should I even listen?

Vriess

Vriess said:

Monaco! Yeah, give us that one :)

Fez would be nice too, but we'll be able to get the PC or PS3 version anyway.