Dead Island: Riptide Is Skipping Wii U

Posted by Damien McFerran

Game engine would need to be rewritten, says producer

Zombie-slaying sequel Dead Island: Riptide is joining Saints Row 4 as another title which isn't coming to the Wii U.

Speaking in an interview with Digital Spy, Deep Silver producer Alexander Toplansky revealed that the port wasn't happening because his team would have to rewrite the game's code:

One of the opportunities we had for Riptide was to continue the development of the engine, and really improve it and make a lot of refinements.

The things that are required to bring something to a new platform, you need to either really get to be integrating it deep into the engine, or you've got to [do] a port.

Neither one of those was a satisfactory outcome for us, so we decided to do what we got platform-wise and just make sure that we can deliver the best experience we can.

Toplansky wouldn't totally rule out a Dead Island title on Wii U, but he admitted that it wasn't currently part of his company's plans:

There are no plans for the moment...it's not something I would categorically rule out, but it's not something that's planned.

Is Dead Island: Riptide a title you were hoping to see on the Wii U? Let us know by posting a comment.

[via digitalspy.co.uk]

Yosh

Yosh said:

good dead island is poop, we dont need shovelware on wii u

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

A game that required DRM in able to play not coming to Wii U? Good riddance, to me I'm more looking forward to all the first & second party and indie-developed titles more so than those crappy 3rd party games nowadays. To me third party died last gen. Indie titles today offered more innovations and enjoyment over those milked heavy 3rd party titles anyways.

Melkaticox

Melkaticox said:

Ah...? Was anyone expecting this game to come to the Wii U? ...Seriously, wasn't it, like, announced a few weeks/months before the Wii U launched? Why would they even make a...

Ugh, nevermind...

Kohaku

Kohaku said:

Never heard about these games.

Give us (very) good Nintendo titles and keep supporting the indie developpers and everything will be fine with the Wii U.

You buy a console for the exclusives, not only for the 3rd party.

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

I would like to make a request for a search filter to be added to this site

• Positive Wii U news - Negative Wii U news - That would be great cheers :-)

I remember the days when I would browse magazines and websites to read about the games that are coming but alas that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.Maybe I'm just getting old!

Void

Void said:

Considering I can't play it, I'm not really bothered by this news.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

I can understand the decision. Rewriting the entire engine wouldnt be a pot, it would be a new project in itself which would mean that thei have to put effort into it. And you can not demand something like that from devs today...
But to be honest, im more interested in upcoming 1st and 2nd party titles than ports anyway. A simple, lazy port job would have the usual technical problems anyway.

Neram

Neram said:

Meh. Besides this being more proof that third parties aren't supporting Nintendo, possibly proving Michael Pachter as right, I really don't care about this.

Farmboy74

Farmboy74 said:

To me the days of great third party support are long gone (SNES), for the past three generations, third party devs have been looking for excuses* not to bring their games to a Nintendo home console. Nintendo need to concentrate on their own second and first party software and keep encouraging the indie devs.

*N64 - Cartridge based system
GameCube - Not powerful enough / Not cool enough / Nintendo gamers won't buy
Wii - Motion controls, underpowered, casual market, third party games will not sell

edhe

edhe said:

Just because you personally wouldn't play the game ("urgh! It's a sh#t game anyway!"), doesn't mean it doesn't deserve to be on the Wii U. There are plenty of people who would liked to have played this game on the Wii U. God knows we need a few more titles.

Nintendo are trying to court the 18-24 gamer crowd, remember?

That being said, I'm getting a little sick of all the excuses from these developers. But the thing that annoys me the most is when they deny a Wii U port because they feel they are obliged to use the Gamepad and they couldn't think of a "Wow! Gimmick (f--- you, gearbox!)" thing they could do to justify a lazy, outsourced port.

It's as if the Wii U doesn't have a perfectly familiar controller with the gamepad (albeit with a touchscreen) OR a classic control that is pretty much the Xbox 360 controller.

MAN1AC

MAN1AC said:

"______ won't be released on the Wii U" is starting to become a trend.

Shanksta

Shanksta said:

I hated the first one, so I don't really care. The emphasis on melee made it so the only fun way to play was to treat the thumbstick like your swinging pattern, but then it became impossible to play since you couldn't really fight a group swinging different ways fast enough. I didn't think it was going to warrant a sequel but I guess that's just me.

MAB

MAB said:

WiiU already has a great zombi game with innovative controls... BLOPS2 zombies is even better than this ;)

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

@Maniac911: Just as it happened with GCN and Wii - which says a lot about how much we should be "worried" about it. ;-) Either way, though, as stated in another comment above (@Mudjo), I'm actually glad there's a good reason this time around. Usually a game's code needs to be rewritten in order to fit a console better, as it's currently happening with PS3 games supposedly not being able to run on PS4s until sometime after launch.

Still, as I said in another newspost, just wait 'till next E3. After we get footage of Wind Waker HD, Mario Kart U, Super Mario U and Smash Bros. 4, third party support will be crawling its way back to Wii U.

Yoshi3DS

Yoshi3DS said:

how do they expect wii u to sell if they are skipping all the decent games like this and saints row 4 especially

AtomicToaster

AtomicToaster said:

@AlexSora89 Ps3 games will never run on Ps4 and Pen psngames don't transfer either. We're gonna have this really awkward transition. No one is going to want to pay 500 to abandon their entire game library especially with all the big.games still for.current Gen this year! I thought wiiu and 3ds at the very least had a smooth transition as you could at least play last Gen while waiting for content.

FOURSIDE_BOY

FOURSIDE_BOY said:

The problem is, that again, nintendo are the only ones that 100% fully understand how wii u works internally, and from the angle I see it, third parties don't want to suffer the task of adapting their games to a console they don't have any idea how it operates or how they want the console to run their games, ergo, nintendo is on its own (again).

The wii u future truly depends on how they will handle e3, and this time around, they can't risk to blow it.

Haywired

Haywired said:

@Farmboy74
I would say the GameCube actually got pretty decent third-party support for the most part of its life. Getting most of the big multi-platform games of the gen (Soulcaliburs, Burnouts, Tony Hawks, Timesplitters, Call of Dutys, Prince of Persias, etc). Even "mature" titles like Hitman and True Crime were on GameCube despite the "kiddy" image. Capcom planned to have one of the biggest games of the gen Resident Evil 4 as a GameCube exclusive. If third-party support died away it's because the GameCube's sales died away, not the other way round. I mean, I would kill for the kind of third-party support the GameCube got.

K1LLEGAL

K1LLEGAL said:

@mudjo Well Deep Silver is publishing both this and SR4; so in reality it is the exact same company making the decision for both the games.

@yoshisaredragon Hardly shovelware. Not compared to most of the crap the Wii got and the Wii U is sure to get. But nice try.

MAN1AC

MAN1AC said:

@AlexSora89:
I'm far from a worrier and you're right. Nintendo has actually already announced quite a few Wii U games I'm looking forward to. I just think that they need to release some of these games or release exclusives that make more noise than all the negative news surrounding the Wii U.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

Didn't this game shoot itself in the foot with that whole "zombie bait" thing, guess not. To be fair their decision is well justified. I probably wouldn't have picked this up as I prefer my Zombie games to be Survival Horror rather than action games, but it's always a shame to see a Wii U release being skipped.

MAN1AC

MAN1AC said:

@AtomicToaster:
I'm actually ready to make that transition right now. I don't think it will be that awkward. There's really no issues as long as Sony realize that no backward compatibility means they need to have good games within their launch window.

And it's not as if I have to burn my PS3 when I buy Sony's new console.

K1LLEGAL

K1LLEGAL said:

@DePapier I hope you don't mean me. I never said anything of the sort. Of course the Wii got some amazing games. It also got a whole lot of shovelware... or are you going to tell me i'm wrong?

Farmboy74

Farmboy74 said:

@Haywired, When you put things like that maybe I viewed the old Cube a bit harshly, to that list you could add Star Wars Rogue Sqaudron, Viewtifull Joe & Ikaruga if the Wii U could get games and support at that quality then it won't be that bad.
@DePapier, It's all part of the service, I find it works on a number of levels.

Bankai

Bankai said:

While I'm not surprised to see the canned 'third party is lazy' commentary, to those people - unless you are a console game developer or publisher you're not actually in any position to comment on whether they are lazy.

If most third parties choose not to develop on Nintendo's platform, then the problem is actually Nintendo.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

Dead Island was the single worst zombie game in the last 5 years or so, I can't imagine this being any better, and like many i found Zombie U pretty disappointing, so we really don't need another weak zombie game on the Wii U. Zombie U, while no where near as good as Left 4 Dead 1 & 2, Blops 2 Zombies, various RE games etc, it had its moments, unlike Dead Island.
Because Dead Island 2 is skipping the Wii U, Nintendo can have a new slogan for the Wii U - "We have a slightly less terrible zombie game."
Saints row the third was probably even more ridiculed than Dead Island, so a lack of Saints 4 is also a good thing.

DePapier

DePapier said:

@Bankai We're not gonna do this again, are we? Just kidding, lol.

It's up to Nintendo to bring an environment that encourages third-parties to work on the Wii U, but I hope we're at least on same line of thought in thinking that it is not because of what the Wii U can bring to the table and that the Wii U is perfectly capable of making those third-party games even better, were the developers to have a reason — sales or, in rare cases, enthusiasm — to do this extra work. :)

Wolfgabe

Wolfgabe said:

Meh I never cared for Dead Island anyway. I head it wasn't that great to begin with. I won't be losing over sleep over this one

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

Dead island is a bad game, so it doesn't bother me. And the reason they give was understandable. With the wii U being a next gen console, it would be a bit harder to develop for. I'm placing bets on PS4 and durango games being ported more

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

Oh well. At least the Dead Island guys gave some thought including the WiiU other than a certain game that is inspired by GTA, got a 4th game in the series and did not include the WiiU because it needs to be for "current gen" consoles.

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

I'm not too interested in Dead Island or Saints Row myself, but I will admit this trend is starting to worry me. :( I mean, Nintendo's console is finally in HD and it's still too hard to give it some multi-platform love?

MEGAMAN_D

MEGAMAN_D said:

shove it

dead island was crap anyway. And I aint just saying this but even if it did come to the wii u, I wouldn't have brought it anyway.

Gallimastro

Gallimastro said:

Honestly, I would of been right with all the haters on Dead Island... then I played it. And it was pretty fun, especially with co-op.

Did any of the naysayers even played it, or is this the same blind loyalty to never touch another console and hopelessly wait for a port?

Tsuchiya

Tsuchiya said:

@Gallimastro
They'll say they have on here but really, they haven't and have no intention to.
Even if it was to come to WiiU, it'd be cheaper elsewhere. The current gen is still booming. WiiU is struggling but PS4 and 720 will have a tough time too.

Software sells hardware Nintendo. Yup.
We may have peaked.

FOREST_RANGER

FOREST_RANGER said:

I doubt they even had the Wii U in mind while developing this game. They have a good point when they say they's have to rework their game engine to run smoothly on the Wii U...and their release date is next month.

Look, if more game companies were to be obligated to support the Wii U platform, there would need to be a big install base (not there yet) and there would have to be demand from lots of Wii U owners.

OGGamer

OGGamer said:

Good keep it off of the system . What is it with this zombie obsession anyway ? Talk about milking an idea to death (zombie movies in the 70s and 80s) only to resurrect it (current video games and movies ) and kill it again . IMO the zombie market is oversaturated it's time to do something different like "killer freaks from outerspace" oh wait....

Wheels2050

Wheels2050 said:

Wait, people are arguing for FEWER games on their consoles? Even sequels to well-received ones?

That... doesn't make sense. Seriously, the fewer games that come out on Wii U, the worse off Nintendo is.

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

played the first one, wasnt interested so no biggie for me. Also we already have a better game, its called Zombi U.

MEGAMAN_D

MEGAMAN_D said:

@Wheels2050

Yes, you are right from a business perspective but heres the deal, and I'm only speaking for myself as a nintendo fan.

I really couldn't care less about a game like dead island because it really is nothing special or that hasn't been done before, and the same goes for games like crysis 3 or saints row 4.
Now someone reading this will probably say "oh butthurt fanboy, pretending he doesn't care" but I work and earn good money and if I wanted these games I would just go and buy another games console.

I buy a nintendo console because I know that there is gonna be games that will redefine that genre, and that is why I am a nintendo fan and a fan of their console.

Everybody is different and has their preferences, and that's cool. But I couldn't miss out on the new zelda, metroid, mario, and hopefully F-zero.
But I don't mind passing up on a few multiplat's that more or less the same thing I've have been playing since the PS2 days, not to mention I don't have time in my days for that many games anyway, so I wanna enjoy the ones I have fully.

It's great when nintendo console's do get multiplatform games, but to me their just a bonus.

DaveC

DaveC said:

@Wheels2050

It is called "sour grapes". It is always the reaction of fanboys to just say " well ____ game was crap anyway". If the announcement was made that said that the game would be comming out for the Wii U then they would get all excited and go on about how more games are better to have and how they might get it etc.

They are just in denial that the system is in trouble. Honestly the logic of comming out with a system like the Wii U with it's underpowered 1.2 GHz CPU and 1 GB of RAM this late is questionable. Again Nintendo will be bringing up the rear in power this generation as compared to the vastly more powerful PS4. They got away with having weak hardware before because motion controls were enough to open up a new niche with soccer moms and casual gamers. I don't think the whole tablet in a controller gimmick is going to make up for their weak hardware this time around.

MEGAMAN_D

MEGAMAN_D said:

@DaveC

You may scoff a the wii u specs, But then I could scoff at the fact that sony are using the same joypad from 1994.

When I unpacked the wii u and took out the controller, I was holding something completely NEW in my hands, something I have never held before, the evolution of gaming if you will.

When someone unpacks the PS4, they won't be able to say the same thing.

I'm a killzone fan, and I was looking foward to seeing the new killzone for the PS4.
When I watched the video, all I saw was another fps, I dunno, I just feel as if things are starting to stagnate, at least ninty try to change it up a little.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Another high profile game not coming to the Wii U, go ahead and act like it's not a big deal fanboys, but it is. This on top of the lack of DmC, Metal Gear Rising, Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite. But it's ok, all those games are crap and insignificant, they can't stand up to the magic that is a port of a 3 year old game and Lego City.

NINTENBOY

NINTENBOY said:

Well I heard the 1st Dead Island freaking SUCKED RHINO POOP especially on the PC LOL.

I do not have the time to be worring about these LAZY good for nothing developers who swear their hurting people's feelings when their games aren't even that good!!

LOL I forgot about Saints Row 4 THAT GAME WENT FROM SR3 DLC TO A FULL GAME LOL!!

OGGamer

OGGamer said:

@Gamer83 DMC , Metal gear rising , tomb raider , Bioshock infinite vs Metroid , Zelda , mario , Fzero . You can't act as if the other franchises don't exist . When the new versions of the latter four games are released the games you mentioned will seem insignificant . Lets be real , most game developers envy the success of nintendo franchises thats why they always hate on nintendo . They would love nothing more for these franchises to end up on their systems . Why should big n fans care about some crappy redundant zombie game thats been done and redone a million times ? Even if it was released on wiiu I sure wouldn't be one to say "great another generic game we need more of those " hell no !

SpaceApe

SpaceApe said:

Ye another example of how poor the 3rd party support is for Nintendo. The original game was actually pretty good.

DaemonSword

DaemonSword said:

Between ZombieU and The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct just around the corner, Dead Island probably didn't have a chance.

doctor_doak

doctor_doak said:

A much stronger 1st party showing at launch would've driven the installed base, and encouraged more 3rd party's to port over to the system....perhaps. As it stands, for many people who own other consoles/pc's, it's pretty much a system without games for the 1st 12 months of its existence.

GTA V, Bioshock Infinite, Metro: Last Light, Tomb Raider, Castlevania LOS 2, Grid 2, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes, Dark Souls 2, Remember Me, Saints Row 4, Dead Island: Riptide, Destiny etc.. aren't releasing on Wii U at this stage. It's asking a fair bit of people to hand over $350-$400 (USD) for a system that doesn't really have any games....that can't even get ports of same-gen upcoming multi-platform titles. Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 still don't have release dates and launch period is done in 2 weeks time.

Those unannounced 'partnerships'... like the one's they've got for Bayonetta 2 & Shin Megami Tensei vs Fire Emblem are going to be important. If they can do more of these, then it's going to help fill the release schedule between the Metroid's/Zelda/Smash Bros. etc in the absence of a steady stream of 3rd party support.

AddDavey

AddDavey said:

I'm not bothered with it not coming to Wii U but it's good to see that they haven't written it off completely and could release another game on it.

Araknie

Araknie said:

They are actually saying that with the new devkit they can see the whole power of the Wii U and that the game won't make it for the already scheduled release.

I wanna hear more devs with the last devkit like them.

The-Chosen-one

The-Chosen-one said:

wasnt going to buy it anyway, and i stopt buying games for ps3 and 360, and going all out on the wiiU.
the controller is just amazing. and i love playing all the games on this console.
the games i cant wait to play are, Xenoblade for WiiU, a new Mario 3d game with a cool story and 2player co-op (or 4) and the next Epic Zelda. and not to forget The next epic Smashbros. that is my NR1 game of all time smashbros haha lol

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Dead Island was one of those games where people were orgasming over the cinematic trailer and when the game came out it had nothing to do with the trailer at all, nor did it look anything like it. Once again I wonder why people hold cinematic trailers in such high esteem, what matters to me are gameplay trailers. While I would not have purchased Dead Island: Riptide, I wonder why so many new games are choosing to skip porting to the Wii U when they seem to be fine porting it to other consoles, as pretty much every game is developed to one console and ported to others. With Nintendo's increased efforts at getting 3rd party support for mature games I think there is something behind the scenes that the developers and demanding from Nintendo that they are not willing to give, like a game of chicken. Who needs who more?

Guybrush20X6

Guybrush20X6 said:

Just as well. I played the PC version of the original and the characters had no depth beyond whiny intro narrations and the level system was a pointless war of attrition.

Not to say I didn't have some fun with it but Left 4 Dead was vastly superior.

Rect_Pola

Rect_Pola said:

Ah, a decent reason. Happy!
Sadly it looks like what was true in the past remains unchanged. Early leads flame out and get squandered. By the time momentum returns, the competition is out and riding their own launch excitement.

I feel bad if all the "support" and launch time intentions Nintendo thought they had influenced the timing.

BennyFresh

BennyFresh said:

The first sold well because of the, one of the best game trailers in years. Unfortunately the game was kind of garbage, full of bugs and dumb gameplay decisions. If Riptide was coming to wii u I wouldn't buy it anyway.