Nintendo Download: 17th January 2013 (North America)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Tokyo mobs, stacking stars and a free awakening

It's download time again, which means more downloadable goodies for your Nintendo systems — well, two of them. In what feels like a rare occurrence, there's no DSiWare to be found, with five options on the 3DS eShop and a video app for Wii. Nintendo's latest console misses out, but then again we know that'll change next week. In the meantime, there are some good options to mull over for this week, so let's get on with it.

3DS download software

Tokyo Crash Mobs (Nintendo, $5.99) — When this was first sighted many may have thought "only in Japan", but then it was confirmed for a Western release to show that, actually, we're all worthy of peculiar queue-busting titles. A match-three game at its core, despite its quirky premise it's a spiritual successor to games such as Puzz Loop, Magnetica and Magnetica Twist. While fun and enjoyable, it has flaws in execution and controls that hold it back; it's certainly still worth consideration regardless, as our Tokyo Crash Mobs review explains.

3DS Virtual Console

Kirby's Star Stacker (Nintendo, $2.99) — In the good old green and black days of Game Boy, Kirby didn't just run, jump, fly and suck his way through games, but also tried out a bit of pinball. For his swansong on the venerable handheld he had a go at a falling block puzzler; despite being shallow it's reasonably fun at the price, as explained in our Kirby's Star Stacker review.

3DS retail demo

Fire Emblem: Awakening (Nintendo, free) — You lucky North Americans. Not only are you the first gamers outside of Japan to get your hands on this highly-anticipated 3DS release, along with all of its free and paid-DLC goodness, but you get a demo while you wait. There's little reason to not download this.

3DS retail downloads

Disney/Pixar Finding Nemo: Escape to the Big Blue (Disney Interactive)
Deer Drive Legends (Maximum Family Games)

Wii app download

Amazon Instant Video — For those of you still rocking it with a Wii and have a subscription to Amazon's video service, this app will allow you to watch plenty of TV and film content on the console.

It's not the meatiest download line-up we've ever seen, though we suspect that the latest demo to hit 3DS will get plenty of attention. In terms of spending funds, are you planning to buy anything this week? Let us know in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (198 votes)

Tokyo Crash Mobs (3DS eShop)

16%

Kirby's Star Stacker (3DS Virtual Console)

24%

Disney/Pixar Finding Nemo: Escape to the Big Blue (3DS retail download)

Deer Drive Legends (3DS retail download)

Nothing for me this week

58%

Please login to vote in this poll.

slidecage

slidecage said:

Fire Emblem: Awakening i can think of a reason not to download.. you would have to replay the maps LOL :)

also hate to see how long the download is if the game is 8400 blocks...but if i get home early i problally will

Lan

Lan said:

@slidecage And replaying the maps is a bad thing? I just got really excited for this. What time's the eshop update for this? It's 8:45 here now, CST

JayRydah

JayRydah said:

And still nothing for wii u. I still got alot of games keeping me more then busy so ill be patient but I hope next week they release The Cave because I read its coming on the 24th.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

@Thomas I think the "what are you downloading" chart is broken on moblie browsers. I haven't been able to vote or see results in a few weeks.
Edit: Posting a comment uploaded the chart, but I used to be able to vote or see results without commenting.

@Lan The eShop will update at 11:00 AM CST.

HeroOfCybertron

HeroOfCybertron said:

I'm defiantly downloading the Fire Emblem: Awakening demo and maybe I'll download Kirby's Star Stacker too since I've never played it.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

You actually don't get a subscription to Amazon Instant Video. You can but the primary way is renting or buying the videos/movies.

Konata

Konata said:

Probably just the demo for me this week.

My brother has been pestering me to get the Fire Emblem game demo so he can play, since he doesn't want to spend the money to get a 3DS Himself.
Phht. Older brothers, what can you do. :3

gojiguy

gojiguy said:

Deer Drive legends looks interesting (it has dinosaurs in it) and I enjoyed Ultimate Deer Hunter 3D (or whatever its called).

But again, no price listed...

Shiromikio

Shiromikio said:

Fire Emblem: Awakening demo. I'd download Kirby Star Stacker if it were like a puyo puyo game ... doesn't look like it though.

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

Not bad, one of the missing Kirby games came today. I already have the original cartridge though, I played it on the way home from an amusement park in 2010.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I dL the Amazon Video app last night, hopeing to get a few coins out of it.
It seems to function well enough, but boy is SD damn ugly.

There's a link for a free 30 days of Prime, so if you are eligible to get it free for 30 days you might as well watch some stuff and maybe order some stuff form Amazon as well. I didn't try as I just finished a free 30 day trial a few weeks ago so I'll wait a bit.

Ignatius_Cheese

Ignatius_Cheese said:

Warning! If you suffer from red/green colourblindness, you may wish to think against buying Tokyo Crash Mobs. Its pretty tough on the eyes... Might want to wait for the demo to come out first.

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

Kirby's Star Stacker to me is a nice way of saying sorry sort of from NOA for not releasing Kirby's Dream Land 2 YET on the eShop. I been actually looking forward to playing this puzzle game as I missed out on this back when it originally came out on the GAME BOY. Like everyone else, I'm not really sure about the Fire Emblem: Awakening DEMO. Not that I have anything against the series or anything, but I'm really not into those kind of games, but am willing to try this DEMO for the heck of it anyways.

tripunktoj

tripunktoj said:

I will wait for Nintendo published 3DS downloads to be available as a Club Nintendo Reward, and I 'll play Star Stacker on my Super Game Boy later today, so this time I will only be downloading the Amazon application for Wii and the 3DS demo.

Knux

Knux said:

I'm definitely downloading Star Stacker when I have enough money to do so.

edcomics

edcomics said:

Never played Fire Emblem. I'm actually kind of down on RPGs at the moment, but I'm going to give the demo a try. At the very least, I know the art will be nice.

Morphbug

Morphbug said:

D'aw I was hoping the finding Nemo game would be wrongly priced in the Mexican eShop like the Hello Kitty game last week. Oh well.

AltDotNerd

AltDotNerd said:

And I'm proud to be an American, where the Fire Emblem demo is free.
And I won't forget the developers who made that game for me.
And I proudly download this demo and I will play it every day.
'Cause there's no doubt I love this game.
God bless the NOA!

Klunk23

Klunk23 said:

Finaly, the demo has arrived!!! Downloading it as soon as i get home from school.

coolvw93

coolvw93 said:

Just played the fire emblem demo, it was awsome!!! Can't wait for the full game to come out!!!

Cowtruck123

Cowtruck123 said:

Fire Emblem demo was awesome and made me go out and pre-order the full game today! Can't wait for February 4th! :D

WarioMan

WarioMan said:

All I'm getting is the FE:Awakening Demo,Which is fine because I'm broke right now

True_Hero

True_Hero said:

I already knew that Fire Emblem would be excellent, but the demo simply cemented that. I can't wait for Feb. 4th.

idork99

idork99 said:

Tokyo Crash Mobs is pretty cool. I agree with the "7" on the review here on NL. But that Fire Emblem demo blew me away! This could be the first Fire Emblem game I ever purchase.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

I'll go for the Tokyo Crash Mobs, it seems like my type of game (super crazy happy funtime). Wouldn't hurt to try the Fire Emblem demo too. I was always shy of getting the series since I was afraid I wouldn't get the full story without playing the past games and the whole "If your ally dies, they're gone for good" concept.

MDee14

MDee14 said:

What about the Assassin Creed 3 DLC, that came out today. But Fire Emblem for me

SonyFACE

SonyFACE said:

Assassin's Creed 3 DLC is also available today, as someone mentioned previously.

sinsalaca

sinsalaca said:

Probably just FE demo for me. Still have Crimson Shroud waiting for me. Plus Virtue Last Reward and Heroes of Ruin to playthrough.

candymonster

candymonster said:

im colorblind. i read somewhere that i can activate symbols to distinguish the colors in tokyo crash mobs, is that true or the game is unplayable to me?

coolvw93

coolvw93 said:

@slidecage its about 20 minutes, maybe less if you skip cutscences, but i didnt. you do 2 maps. it gives a good look of how good this game should be. its worth it.

candymonster

candymonster said:

finished the fe demo few minutes ago, AMAZING game!! Sad the demo is too short! Only the tutorial and the 1th caphter and its over :( the artwork and animations are awesome!

RR529

RR529 said:

I'll get the FE demo.

Probably get Tokyo Crash Mobs at some point in the future.

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

@3DSLUIGI KDL2 Is on the wii, it doesn't need to be on 3ds.

I personally got Kirby star stacker and the demo.

And I will laugh my head off if someone marks the finding nemo game as their favorite choice this week.

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

Might get kirby star stacker but nothing else, Would of got crash mobs maybe if it was cheaper and the same goes to deer drive legends.

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

Tokyo Crash Mobs in the future maybe but for now. Only that Fire Emblem Demo

Luigifan141

Luigifan141 said:

Kirby Star Stacker was a nice surprise. I would get it, but I had to ship my 3DS to Nintendo for repairs, so I'll download it once I get my system back.

slidecage

slidecage said:

i had to update my DSI XL to be able to dump it off on ebay so i downloaded the FE demo... now if i play it is another thing... unchain blades taking up all of my time these past 2 weeks and still only 40% done at 30 hours

slidecage

slidecage said:

forgot to ask..the downloads in japan for FE are they just one chapter as well..

3 bucks for 20-30 mins seems very high

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

I never played Fire Emblem before, so I guess I'll check out the demo to see what the big fuss is about. I hope to get blown away!

Mobs is a maybe. Possibly.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

STAR STACKER!!!
It's about time. Japan's had it for a full YEAR, Europe since August, and now it's FINALLY America's turn!

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

Well time to figure out if I want to pick Fire Emblem next month. Hopefully the Demo is does a good job representing that the final game is.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

I'm not surprised that NoA gave us Kirby's Star Stacker w/o the Super Gameboy enhancements. This is annoying. Nintendo really needs to fix this. They just need to give players the option, at/@ least, of being able to play the game w/ the SGB enhancements. Everytime I do a CN survey, I put this as something Nintendo can fix about the 3DS VC.

For this week, I will be d/ling the FE demo, to see if I like it. As a matter of fact, I think I'll start d/ling it right now, as of this comment. That's rare, this week, as I often vote "Nothing..." if I vote @ all.

Klinny

Klinny said:

I am enjoying the Fire Emblem demo. My only complaint is that the battles are on a grid system, which feels like it should be controlled using the stylus, but instead it uses the thumbstick which feels less natural to me.

This is a minor complaint, however.

Austroid

Austroid said:

Tokyo Crash Mobs had my attention for weeks, so I've finally succumbed to buying it. That weird Japanese charm just rakes you in and alienates you. I love it!

Aloth

Aloth said:

Fire emblem is great!!! The graphics are really good, they should make more hardcore games like these, playing the lunatic settings for quite some time...

FOURSIDE_BOY

FOURSIDE_BOY said:

I knew it, Nintendo finally returned FIRE EMBLEM back to its roots, this is it, the TRUE succesor to the gba games, the ds, gamecube and wii games were just meh, really didn't blew me away like the legendary fire emblem 7 did. If the full game is like the demo, then kid icarus needs to get nervous, because a worthy contender for the title of BEST 3DS GAME finally arrived!!!!

allav866

allav866 said:

Just played the FE:A Demo, trying all 3 difficulties. I managed to beat the first level on the hardest difficulty, after numerous defeats. With difficulty like that, I'm DEFINITELY picking up this game!

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

@TheDreamingHawk

I understand that Kirby's Dream Land 2 is on the Wii as part of the Kirby's 20TH Anniversary / Kirby's Dream Collection game, but I only look at it to be on 3DS VC because imo, we're the only ones here in North America to be looking like idiots while Japan and UK had the game now for what seems like way too much of a long time on their eShops.

slidecage

slidecage said:

Very very glad i downloaded the FE demo...almost got it day 1...i would rather play the FE for the ds and keep the 40 in my pocket

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Why have all the apps for Wii come NOW? We should've BEEN had all of these apps... ah well. I DL the FE:A demo here at work, with a fast connection... still took me about 4 mins. so it's definitely a meaty chunk. Can wait to rip into it on the bus :)

FOURSIDE_BOY

FOURSIDE_BOY said:

@slidecage Seriously man? I played shadow dragon and it was boring and generic as f..k. The 2 main problems with that game are:
a)Uninspired and bland graphics
b)Unlike FE7 if you want gaiden chapters, you must kill characters, the game forces you to do so. Let me repeat this: a strategic game known for having the rule that once a unit is killed it is gone forever for good FORCES YOU TO KILL MANY OF THEM TO ACCESS EVERYTHING IN THE GAME.