Fire Emblem: Awakening Download Takes Up Almost 8,600 Blocks

Posted by Andy Green

It's set to be a blockbuster

Strategic RPG Fire Emblem: Awakening will be unleashed on the 3DS in North America from 4th February, and will be available in both physical and downloadable form.

If you're looking to download a copy from the 3DS eShop you'll need 8,579 available blocks on an SD card - that's slightly over 1GB. This figure is quite high compared to other titles such as The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D and Super Mario 3D Land, both of which only take up half that amount. Fire Emblem: Awakening's behemoth file-size does sound about right, however, considering just how expansive the series' games usually are.

The special Fire Emblem: Awakening bundle, which comes with a limited edition 3DS, is packaged with a 4GB SD card - which is a good job really. Incidentally, Nintendo of America has confirmed the suggested retail price of the upcoming bundle is $199.99.

What are your thoughts on Fire Emblem: Awakening's file size? Will it put you off downloading the title? Let us know in the comments section below.

[via nintendoeverything.com]

Sir_Teabag

Sir_Teabag said:

yea me too, would love to get the digital version but ill have to get the retail copy of this beast!

drdark

drdark said:

@SheldonRandoms: My 3DS has a 32GB Class10 SD Card which cost me £18 many months ago.
Situation on Vita is much worse in terms of expensive space due to the proprietary memory cards.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

If Nintendo could discount the price for downloading, then I would consider getting it from the eShop. Until then, Gamestop is just across the street from my office. For me, an hours long wait to download when I can walk and be back in 10 minutes doesn't make sense.

FiveDigitLP

FiveDigitLP said:

This is actually one game I am strongly considering getting the download version over the physical. I have Sacred Stones on my 3DS and I really like to be able to just pick up and play it whenever without having to worry about what game is already in the system.

shinpichu

shinpichu said:

NINTENDO: Stop using "blocks" and just list stuff in GB/MB/KB like everyone else!

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

would but i already pre-ordered it. although i am tempted by the 3DS bundle. ugh decisions decisions

rjejr

rjejr said:

@shinpichu - Nintendo is going to stop using "blocks" when the US starts using metric. It's just their way of payback. It's still not as bad as MS 1600 points = $20.00 which has no basis in reality whatsoever.
I'm glad the 3DS and Wii U use $ and not Wii points.
The Wii U doesn't use blocks, does it?

AddADashOfSalt

AddADashOfSalt said:

The Wii U uses MB/GB.

Anyway, I already have a 3DS, no need for me to get the bundle. Still on the edge about getting this...

AVahne

AVahne said:

Pretty small file for such a huge game. Still getting physical simply because it's Fire Emblem.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Nintendo is going to stop using "blocks" when the US starts using metric.

I don't see why the U.S. doesn't already use metric. Its far superior.

therick112

therick112 said:

I've set a 5,000 block limit on myself for any games that can be purchased in physical form. If downloads were slightly cheaper I would reconsider that stance, but there are too many good download-only games to waste too much space on games available physically.

Aloth

Aloth said:

I was very happy with the download option, I live in Brazil and the price of the 3ds games here is about 75 dollars!!! But since we have a brazilian eshop, nintendo doe not accept brazilian credit cards in the american eshop, so the download price is 75 dollars, no problem though, I have preordered mine from play-asia for 45 bucks with shipping!

Rocky

Rocky said:

The biggest problem is that you lose your save data when you remove the game. If you could install/uninstall without losing save data you wouldn't have to worry about using too much space.

THENAMESNORM

THENAMESNORM said:

I don't plan on downloading many retail games, however this is the most tempting so far. I think I would miss the physical box and artwork though.

russellohh

russellohh said:

Downloads for me forever. I would really like the booklet, since I'm sure it comes with more than the single-page instructions most games come with. But for me, I just really, really love having all my games with me, always. My current 3DS has 5 Mario games, 3 Metroids, 4 Zeldas, 1 Kirby, 3 Warios, Bionic Commando, Mario Kart, 2 Fire Emblems, and a few dozen Dsi titles on it. I would have download Harvest Moon, if it wasnt for the Cow pre-order. In the end, the chance to carry so much with me is too good to pass up.

tigermask

tigermask said:

The first thing I did when I got a 3DS was get a huge SD card for it. I'm not sure what my reasoning was at the time but now it seems like a good impulse buy.

Robo-goose

Robo-goose said:

That file size is glorious, and shows how much content there really is when the game is raw. WIth all the DLC added, I wonder how much larger it will be? Absolutely glorious.
On a side note, I wonder if a 64GB SDXC card would work with a 3DS? I've heard that it works if you format the partition to fat32, but I've seen someone try that, and, while it will be recognized by the system, it is extremely slow, and trying to boot up almost anything causes it to crash.
Has anyone here been able to get a 64GB SDXC card to actually work well with the 3DS?

MYNISTA

MYNISTA said:

From a collecting standpoint I prefer to have a box and card. Still on the fence about getting this game though since MonHun comes out the following month. I think most of my game time will be used to slay gigantic beasts.

idork99

idork99 said:

@drdark I purchased a Class 4 32 GB SD card here in the states for about $22.00. It works well and all but I'm tempted to get a Class 10 instead. The reason? I've read somewhere that the higher the class, the faster the download. A Class 4 works good but I'd like to test out a Class 10 for that purpose only. Nonetheless, I'm glad Nintendo is using SD cards as opposed to proprietary cards like Sony which I'm sure tend to be a bit pricey.

invmat

invmat said:

For those who don't know how much a block is:
1 block = 1 megabit (Mb)
8 blocks = 1 megabyte (MB)
8000 blocks = 1000 megabytes (MB) = 1 GB

Garo

Garo said:

No biggie. I still have 'bout 85,000 blocks of free space, and when push comes to shove, I can always delete some of the demos I've tried.

AVahne

AVahne said:

@tigermask
32 GBs are much cheaper now, too. So anyone who wants to go all digital on 3DS can do so VERY easily. Unlike Vita.

Robo-goose

Robo-goose said:

@Zemus-DJ
Oh! Fantastic! So, how did you get it to work? I want to make sure I won't waste $60+ on a card that won't read or write properly, lol! Anything specific that needs changing on the card?

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

@Gamesake English isn't far superior. ;)

Actually it's the worst language for the position it's in right now. French, German or Dutch (yes, I'm Dutch) would've been a lot better. As the grammar is easier to understand ;)

slidecage

slidecage said:

loved to seen this happen

either
Cart verison 40
Download version 30
or
Download verison with all of the japan add ons for 40

b_willers

b_willers said:

Has anyone seen a load time comparison article for different class SD cards on 3DS? Would be interested to see if a class 10 is worth the extra money. Maybe this is an experiment Nintendo Life can conduct for a feature?

oninowon

oninowon said:

I rather get the physical copy for this game due to the xtra stuff such as the artbook. I do like the concept of retail games having its digital counterpart however. I opted for the digital version of the retail Art Academy and that took up 3,000+ blocks and will continue to grow as they offer more DLCs. My next digital retail game will be Animal Crossing whenever that comes out.

mushroomer

mushroomer said:

buying physical games makes more sense to me. once done, i can trade or sell it back for another game. i usually never replay a game more than once anyways.

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

Still not as many blocks as Style Savvy: Trendsetters! That digital download is huge.

@Gamesake ♪Everyone's a little bit racist sometimes♪

rayword45

rayword45 said:

That's not really that big. That a bit more then 1 GB. That's half of Kid Icarus: Uprising and ONE-FOURTH of Resident Evil: Revelations

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

@rayword45 Yeah, it's really not that big. I have a 32GB SD card for my 3DS, which basically acts as a bottomless pit. lol But even still, I'm not getting the bundle, so if I ever get this game it'll probably be physical. shrug

Edit: Thanks for posting this info, by the way! I'm always glad to know block sizes in advance.

TheRavingTimes

TheRavingTimes said:

I already ordered my own copy online. Plus I'm getting a free art book with artwork of all of the characters with my order.

Doma

Doma said:

@FiveDigitLP It's FE, you won't want/need to play another game for a looooong time. Btw, sucks you ambassadors got Sacred Stones instead of Blazing Sword, it's much better.

JAPBOO

JAPBOO said:

I used to love retail because of the box, manual and stuff, but nowdays, it is just a box with no manual or one page manual. I miss the old days where you were able to check the pictures, characters, story and enemies. So, since nintendo is doing this to save money and maybe enviroment thing, I will preffer the download version, there is no point on retail anymore...

Klunk23

Klunk23 said:

Can't wait wait to open the box of my physical copy. And that art book is something I must have.

Gamesake

Gamesake said:

@SanderEvers I don't want everyone to speak English dude. I just find it funny that people are so quick to suggest switching over to metric whereas someone suggesting switching to English is usually considered going too far when it's really the same concept.

@MagicEmperor lol Language has little to do with race. Living in America, we should know that better than anyone.

EaZy_T

EaZy_T said:

I just cancelled my pre-order from Amazon because I'm not certain that I'd get the booklet and there is a notice that shipping for pre-orders might be delayed.
I'm just going to download it, FE:A will be a good game to always have on my system. :)

DaveC

DaveC said:

@Bass_X0

The US does use metric. Just not for everything.

Why? Just imagine you are a factory and all of your drawings and parts are made to Imperial inch measure. Now to go to metric you need to redesign and redraw all prints, order all new screws and material sizes etc. It is a matter of cost, not all companies can afford the costly switch.

DaveC

DaveC said:

@SheldonRandoms
I get physical because I can put it into any 3DS at any time without logging into the net to let Nintendo watch over my shoulder, sell used, trade, and if my 3DS breaks I just take out the cart and put into the new one (with digital you need to send in your broken 3DS to Nintendo, ridiculous!). Nintendo's DRM is just too restrictive.

Joltick

Joltick said:

Crap.... I only have the standard normal 3ds SD card D: so far all I have is 12,000 or so blocks ;A; I'll have to delete some stuff :I

liz91

liz91 said:

Actually downloading this game as I type its going to take a while tho, I played the demo for hours so I doubt I'll get tired of it and want to sell it. good game to have on the system n_n might do the same for animal crossing.

liz91

liz91 said:

It took me 2 1/2 hours to download fire emblem awakening last night from 12am to 2:30 am. D:
idk if its because other ppl are downloading from eshop too or my connection either way it took forever Dx.