Microwave 'Artist' Returns to Melt a Wii U

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

A deluxe model, no less

So, plenty of you in North America have a shiny Wii U, and you're possibly cradling the GamePad in your arms between game sessions and telling children with sticky hands to stay away. Or maybe you're just playing a load of games, but we're sure most are you are being quite careful to keep your new console shiny. What you probably haven't done is microwave your system in an industrial cooker, and then put it on eBay.

That is, of course, what YouTube user dovetastic has done, because he does run the "first & original microwave entertainment show on the web". This channel does zap all new gadgets with impunity, to be fair, with various manufacturers seeing their products melted; of course 3DS XL got the treatment, too.

As before, the results, plus two decorative toads and the rather useless documentation and box, are now available on eBay, and at the time of writing it has a "buy it now" price of $3,490.03 — that's just a 1000% mark-up on a functioning Deluxe Wii U, so form an orderly queue!

Of course, the eBay listing does emphasise that this is artwork, and you do get a print signed by the artist. We're not sure whether tongue is firmly in cheek, but let's assume so. You can watch the wanton destruction, below.

Of course, don't do this at home — play games instead.

[via youtube.com]

Shining-Void

Shining-Void said:

WTF. I'm pretty sure there are thousands of people who would have wanted that system. People can be idiots sometimes.

Nitendnut

Nitendnut said:

More like Microwave idiot. There is no excuse for senseless destruction. It takes a true fool to illustrate that anything can be destroyed.

Mizore

Mizore said:

Ugh, waste of money...and even more of a waste when they actually buy this on eBay. Like, WTF? Who actually buys it? :/

MarvelMon22

MarvelMon22 said:

how many people think he should be revenged upon? this is a complete waste of money to do this. either he buys it and treats it nice, or he doesn't. >:(

seronja

seronja said:

man instead of buying and melting the system that cost's over 300€ why on earth didn't he give that money for charity? =/

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

This guy is an complete idiot. He microwaved the 3ds too. What is his deal with microwaving game system's?!

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

Nintenzo

Nintenzo said:

I think I saw something like this in a dream once. Actually, I think it was a nightmare.

Wonder_Ideal

Wonder_Ideal said:

I'm furious, outraged, SICK with anger! ;) What a complete waste of a perfectly good system. I bet some kid isn't going to get a Wii U for Christmas because of this. If this is so artistic, why don't people buy their own $350 Wii U and microwave it instead of buying a $3,000 one?
P.S. If @LordJumpMad comments on this thread he will say this was a good thing to aggrivate people, or he will say it was bad so I won't be right. :D

fchinaski

fchinaski said:

I'd rather not see this guy mentioned on Nintendo Life or other game-related sites again. This type of idiot revels in this kind of "publicity" and angry comments. If people just chose to ignore him, he wouldn't make tons of money with his "art".

Hyperstar96

Hyperstar96 said:

I weep for humanity :(

Also that would be a 900% mark-up; the price is 1000% of the original price, so the actual mark-up would only be 900%.

Yosher

Yosher said:

If you look up ''idiot'' in the dictionary, you'll most likely find this person's picture next to it.

Okay lame jokes aside, people like this do take idiocy to an entire new level.

Tsuchiya

Tsuchiya said:

@shinokami
It being sold not only supports the fact he is a complete idiot but also that the people buying them are idiots also. If not more so. The only positive you can take from this stupidity is that Nintendo benefited from it albeit in a very moronic way.

I agree with @fchinaski
This really doesn't have a place here or anywhere really. I'm pretty surprised you did NL. Just let him get his jollies on Youtube I say.

supermariolinux

supermariolinux said:

This guy even payed double the price since he says he didnt pre-order it.....

He claims it was not a waste of money and was a proffesional microwaving investment.

I drained my money to barely affored a Wii U and this guy can just pay $630 to melt one?!?!?!?

grimbldoo

grimbldoo said:

I guess people who play games really are man/womanchildren. Grow up and stop whining.

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

Some where, there a poor kid reading this article and a tear is running down his cheek.
Thats the first sign that christmas is comming.

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

To make matters worse, it a DELUXE! So many families would have loved to have that for the holidays... >:(

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

NL staff: please stop giving atttention to this clown. Wii are not amused

Collinhall

Collinhall said:

Well, it's his system so he can do what he wants with it...

(But putting a console in a microwave isn't hard or special, someone microwave TWO consoles at once and show this guy up pl0x)

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

@grimbldoo I know it's only one console, I realize it sounded weird how I typed it, what I'm saying is that there are lots of families out there who desperately want a Wii U, but then there's this guy who just microwaves it like its worthless!

Starzsixty9

Starzsixty9 said:

maybe he should stick his head in the microwave and video that :-p I'm sure the outcome would be much more popular :p

Joshers744

Joshers744 said:

So you're telling me I could have melted my Wii U, sold it, and then bought like 5 more? :p

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

This is certainly a weird little sub-culture, as Mr Dickens correctly highlighted to me not long ago. Yet it's a real thing, and it's bizarrely popular. It's all part of the rich tapestry, and all that, but I'm sure you can pick up our general bemusement in the article.

We (I mean gamers as whole, now) can't just ignore stuff we don't like, but we can be snarky about it; some people do love this stuff, after all.

pariah164

pariah164 said:

At least when Is It A Good Idea To Microwave This? microwaved consoles, they were all donated and already broken. This guy = vintage idiot with an annoying as hell voice.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

he bought it, be can do with it what he likes. the real fools IMO are the ones who purchase the nuked items, lol :3

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

I saw his channel before and he microwaves EVERYTHING, I checked this vid a day or two ago and he said he bought two wii u's, one for the microwaving and one for playing, but he a idiot who is wasting money, harming the air from plasic fumes and whos going to buy it now?

Boo_Buster

Boo_Buster said:

@Tsuchiya Exactly. If I had the money to buy a 2nd $350 Wii U Deluxe (well, I do have the money, but I don't need a 2nd one right now) I would just give it to some kid who really wants one, loves Nintendo and who's family can't afford it. Seriously, this is such a waste. This is why some people hate Americans... Looks like I have to make up for another idiot now.

Boo_Buster

Boo_Buster said:

Furthermore, this guy talks like an inch-brained moron. If he had my job and was on the radio I'd drive to the station just to punch him in the throat. He could be up for the "Biggest Douche in the Universe" award with that voice and face.

Edit: Now Nintedno has to include a Warning - System is flammable if put into a microwave by an idiot

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

The eye on the controller is kind of cool...

Either way, I do agree this guy is an idiot and I wish nobody would buy his "art" because he doesn't deserve to profit off such idiocy. Can we just microwave him and call it art? I'd buy that.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

And people wonder where all the American stereotypes come from. Are people actually dumb enough to buy his "art"? I feel kinda sorry for them if they are.

I don't know whats wore, that he thinks its a good idea and hes being funny or that there are actually people who enjoy watching it.

triforcepower73

triforcepower73 said:

This guy is lucky. Not everyone has $300 to waste like this! He could of given it to me since I can't afford one right now.

NImH

NImH said:

Out of all the posts i've read so far, only 2 isolated noobs have praised this doofus. Hi-five Nlife clan!
One the other hand, some of you have a homicidal streak that's a bit unnerving... haha! ;)

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

Also, on the plus side, I doubt there'll be any new Nintendo gizmos to microwave now for at least, oh, 18 months or so. That's a random guess, of course!

gamerjjxl

gamerjjxl said:

I think he should of listened to his parents when they would tell him not to stand too close to the microwave...that microwave radiation really fried his brain 0_o.

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

It'll be fine with me if it was a basic... But COME ON! A deluxe? now you made it a tiny bit more harder to find!

Maskeraid

Maskeraid said:

He's doing it wrong. You're supposed to wear a flame retardant astronaut suit, then use your flamethrower. Duh
Untitled

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

Pretty cool to see it more or less fuse together with the gamepad. Also, gigantic facepalm for most of these comments. Who cares what he does with a system he bought?

pariah164

pariah164 said:

@The_Fox Because it's a Deluxe set, which some people will now have to wait till March to get. That Deluxe set could have been bought by someone who could actually play it.

HuntheUniverse

HuntheUniverse said:

Uh, so what's wrong with him wasting his money on a Wii U? He bought it, he can do what he wants with it.

HammerBr0

HammerBr0 said:

First a 3DS XL NOW A DELUXE WIIU!? We should Microwave him in the next video so he Experiances the horror! >:P

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

Flea, RHCPs bass player once said: "My daughter could s**t in her hand and smear it on the wall and I could call it art, even though the rest of the world would know that its just s**t smeared on a wall." -sometime around 1990

I shall interpret this guys art as s**t smeared on a wall.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Well, the 3DS eventually sold for over 2 grand, albeit it took a couple of months and several BIN relistings to finally sell.

There's a lot of crackpots out there on the internets, and more rich crackpot fanboys who support the crackpots financially.

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

All those soccer mom's that were yelling and screaming to get a Wii U were I live, if they were to see this, what would they say?

Kaine_Morrison

Kaine_Morrison said:

Wii should do to this guy what the "mobsters" did to that guy in the movie Kick@$$.
Wii wiil Avenge you WiiU!
Avengers! Assemble!

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

lol this guy is crazy on so many levels and is a 'waste' i mean if he wanted to he could of sold it for tons of money online or something but no guess he has no care in the world just buys destroys and done ._.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

He isnt the idiot its the people that buy this from him that are the idiots. I feel bad for someone who really wanted one but they have to wait for another shipment while this moron got one to destroy.

BlatantlyHeroic

BlatantlyHeroic said:

To those of you who don't see anything wrong with this, think about it this way, he just destroyed something made by 14 year-old children who were overworked. Wouldn't you rather see it used for the intended purpose than destroyed? What were they working for if the system was just going to be destroyed like that?

Malic

Malic said:

@Tasuki no I'm pretty sure he's an idiot , have you seen the video ? Anyone who buys that well its so stupid I don't even know what to say

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

@AlphaIchimoru
I really, really doubt those 14 year old children care the slightest about what the systems are being used for. And neither should we.

TheRealThanos

TheRealThanos said:

Does remind me a bit of the "smash my [insert console name here]" videos...
Most of the time, these videos were made during a consoles' launch day with them coming out of the store and in front of all the people still waiting in line to get their console, they would unpack theirs and throw it on the street a couple of times to totally wreck it.
Same as with this microwave guy they were indeed total idiots, but on the other hand it's also true that it's their money, so if they want to steamroll their console, it is their choice whether we like it or not.

The horrified looks on the faces of these people waiting in line of the "break my [...]" videos are classic, though...

Look em up on YouTube if you don't know em yet... (if you can stand the console destruction, that is)

Sonomin

Sonomin said:

@alphaichamoru He is right. The Chinese assemblers don't care what we do to our Wii U's. And I don't think that allowing someone to destroy their own Wii U means that you have no morals. All it means is that you believe that people should dow what ever they want as long.as it doesn't endanger someone elses life..

ReshiramZekrom

ReshiramZekrom said:

Heh, this reminds me of the YouTube show Smashing Stuff. Gaming systems the guy smashed are (that I know of): RRoD XBox 360, and a Sega Dreamcast. Just in case you're wondering why he smashed a Dreamcast, it was to celebrate the Dreamcast's anniversary. Yeah. To celebrate.

BlatantlyHeroic

BlatantlyHeroic said:

@joker94 The purpose of the Wii U console was to be used as a gaming system, someone else could have used that specific system for the purpose it was made, if it is not used in that purpose then all of the work it took to create it was in vain.

Let me put it this way, building the console was time taken away from their lives, that time was wasted if the machine is wasted.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

Another way of looking at this is all the time, energy, and resources that went into making these. That Wii U could have been gone to someone who actually wanted one but couldn't buy one because of the shortage, but instead was bout just so some guy could nuke it in the microwave for some internet cred.

I'm not saying he should be hung in the gallows but this is still a big **** you to the fans who went to the trouble of trying to get one but missed out. This isn't any different than the "smash my console" guy smashing the Wii in front of everybody.

Sonomin

Sonomin said:

@alphaichimoru no, the work was not in vain. They still make the same amount of money from it no matter what people do and if some guy has fun destroying a brand new game console, so be it..

BlatantlyHeroic

BlatantlyHeroic said:

@joker94 You still don't understand, time was wasted. a person's life wasted. Perhaps your perception of life is only limited to that of an average human's, if it is, then I have no reason to argue with you, because you would ignorantly refuse to understand, just as it seems you are. I sure hope that is not the case though. The world needs smarter people.

True_Hero

True_Hero said:

I think that this was a waste. He bought it fair and square, but surely he could find something better to do with it. If you don't think this was a waste because it was still paid for, then think about it this way: that is one less console that games can be bought for.

Sonomin

Sonomin said:

@alphaichimoru Again, I highly doubt that the assemblers care about what some random guy does to their console. And if do get that upset over it, then they have mental issues..

True_Hero

True_Hero said:

@joker94 - I don't know about you, but I would be pretty depressed to see someone destroy something I had just built right in front of me. And what about Nintendo staff? Would they be mental if they had a problem with seeing one of their devices senselessly destroyed and sold for an outrageous price?

Sonomin

Sonomin said:

@true_hero I suppose that was a bit too harsh, but if the person paid for the item, it's their's to do whatever they want with it..

BlatantlyHeroic

BlatantlyHeroic said:

@joker94 You can pay for a gun and kill somebody, does that make it right?

Edit: There's no longer a reason to argue over this. I'd rather have peace than a tongue war..

BlatantlyHeroic

BlatantlyHeroic said:

@joker94 The point is, using "he bought it with his money" as an excuse doesn't justify the fact he's destroying work and time. It's the same with a gun in the sense that using something and justifying it with the fact that you now own it doesn't make your actions right.

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

I wonder how hard AlphaIchimoru has to work to be so ridiculous? It sounds exhausting.

Sonomin

Sonomin said:

@alphaichimoru Once he gave them the money, it's his own console. HIS own console. Not Nintendo's or anyone elses'. Therefore he should be able to melt it if that's what he wants. The workers and Nintendo get paid, so it's not in vain.

True_Hero

True_Hero said:

@joker94 - You are right. Once he's paid for it, it is his alone and no one can tell him how to use it. Is what he did stupid? Yes. Is it wasteful? Yes. Can he do it? Yes.
Also, can we stop the name-calling and mild insults guys? They do nothing to prove points. If you have to resort to these tactics to defend your point of view, then perhaps you need to reexamine just how solid it was to begin with.

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

So let me get this straight:
an online user buys electronics just to microwave them

for the sake of what said user considers "entertainment"

and then goes to sell his burned items on sites like eBay, expecting people to buy them??

I don't get people sometimes; what goes on in some peoples' minds is a real mystery

@Nintenzo - nice Plok avatar :)

Bassman_Q

Bassman_Q said:

I want to cry because of this.

The Wii U is an art by itself. And he ruined it by melting it and calling it his own "art".

Despicable.

Tsuchiya

Tsuchiya said:

@Gridatttack
His Plank Manager most probably.
@joker94
I agree with you Sir. Whether Wii U is sold, starts gathering dust on a store shelf or gets sat on by an elephant in drag, those people less fortunate then ourselves really couldn't care about what happens to it. That's a shame as they work damn hard to manufacture them for us but we know that in some way when we've unboxed our (intact) Wii U, we've helped them.
God bless em all.

Nintendo's CSR Report 2012

Samholy

Samholy said:

viva america
where anyone can freely do stupid things.
last week i saw a guy chopping water bottles (tons of them) with his knife and sword collection, now this...
somehow im losing faith in humanity. american people at least.
seriously, this guy deserves multiple things up his butt without lube.

whatever. the guy just love the hate and feeds on people who gets angry at it.

Malic

Malic said:

@Samholy people do stupid things all around the world and way more stupid than this I'm sure . I think the human race is getting more stupid I guess that's what happens when stupid people have stupid kids and so on we are slowly evolving back to monkeys

SomeBitTripFan

SomeBitTripFan said:

Wow! This guy is ridiculous. Wasting money to microwave a Wii U. Someone could have bought that an enjoyed it for years, but instead, it gets fried and sold for a ludicrous amount of money. Whoever buys that is just as idiotic as him.

AntiGuy

AntiGuy said:

"Hey guys, let's feature this really annoying guy microwaving a deluxe Wii U and annoy people" - staff member giving ideas.
"...BRILLIANT!" - nintendo life

pntjr

pntjr said:

He's not an idiot.... this is his job.

The people who SUBSCRIBE to him are idiots, because they enjoy it when someone microwaves a perfectly good device.

But if you are getting paid pretty well do do something, you don't question it. Just do it.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Ridiculous! And a slap in the face for all the people who want a Wii u now, but can't get it because it's sold out!!

Chrono_Cross

Chrono_Cross said:

He pays $350 for a console, microwaves it, and sells it for $3000 on eBay.

Yeah, and he's the idiot.

AlbertoC

AlbertoC said:

To all the people up there calling him all sorts of stuff, losing hope on humanity and whatnot:

I's for fame. More precisely, internet fame. It's not about destroying it. It's about destroying it, FILMING it and UPLOADING it to the internet, so people can watch it and make internet articles about the video, and then for a lot of people to comment on it, generating a lot of traffic. He's much less of an idiot when he has ads on the video. Ah, yes. Let's not forget that eBay URL.

How much money does true internet fame cost, without directly paying for ads? Money alone can't buy it. Doing this, on the other hand, can. But probably you already knew all of this.

Really, guys. Why not stop pointing out the money and his mental capacity, and notice that resulting pile of toxic waste instead? Why is the IQ and the cash only?