Preordered the game, but even though the console looks nicer than I thought, I just can't bring myself to spend 500 bucks on something I already have lol
@Manguy888A Yea, if the Zelda console is the new one with the easily replaceable battery, that would probably tip me to getting it. It really does make a difference in the long run to have a console that's easy to replace the internals.
@LightSpirit That’s a very presumptive comment. I’m a decade behind you because I started playing in the mid-to-late 80s, but I’m just saying that in my opinion, Croc is not a good game.
I know that many people have nostalgia for it and enjoy it, especially in Europe, but I just found its hit detection to be bad, character has no weight to it, and the level design is uninspired.
It’s a bit disturbing that an older person such as yourself would make such a willful assumption.
Ehhhh... I was excited to play the first Croc remaster last year because I LOVE platformers and never played this franchise, but dang... it's just not a good game. I can see it being decent back in the 90s, but holy cow it hasn't held up at all, in my opinion.
@Yosti I honestly don’t know in this case because I never patched the game, but it’s a good question. I assume there are people around here with the cartridge but did install the updates that can speak to that.
@metaphysician I’ve been saying for years that the Switch needs to allow for version reversion. But yea, nothing to do with key cards lol
I'm old enough where Nintendo is the OG in the home console space after the cluster that was Atari, Magnavox, and a few others.
Sony and Microsoft are still the "new" kids to me (this is what happens when you get old lol), so I'm not shocked that their focus really isn't on the games.
Nintendo's always been about the games, first and foremost, and in a games industry that's gonna help you weather the storm.
These boutique physical runs are really good indicators that cartridge costs are somehow more reasonable. Otherwise… I would assume something like this would just be a huge money bath for the publisher?
Well, pretty much the last traces of control will be handed to the companies, all in the name of convenience lol
Anyway, I’ve always wondered how much those digital sales percentages are affected by digital-only games. Tons of games come out that you can literally only download, especially at launch, even some big ones like Silksong. How much does that affect these percentages?
@jsty3105
You’re not addressing what I said: we really have no idea how/when/why servers like these will go “down.” And that’s disregarding the entire other discussion that could be had about individual games going “down” on a case-by-case basis. You’re choosing to skirt around all of that.
In the scheme of things, we’re in uncharted territory when it comes to this kind of stuff. The era of digital-only games is relatively young when put into the context of an entire hobby that is fairly young to begin with.
I think the logical thing to do is to not assume anything and rely on one basic fact: companies will do whatever makes them the most money, and when we don’t have unfettered access to the games we “buy,” it makes it easier for those companies to make swift, controlling moves.
@jsty3105
If you want to be realistic about it, you and I really can’t say when the servers will go down. We can’t even say what that may look like: most just assume like what happened to earlier consoles, but it could look like something entirely different we haven’t even encountered yet.
Bottom line: companies exist to make money and will make deals to make that happen. If that means taking down cloud versions without refund like Square just did, pulling a game altogether like Anthem, or switching licenses/rights like Octopath and Cooking Mama, they will do it regardless of what we want.
And if they have most of us essentially renting their games through digital licenses, then all of the above (and more) is that much easier to do than if we had physical copies with all the data that could be played entirely without connecting to the internet.
@Unit_DTH In all honesty I do mostly buy and play retro games and consoles. What modern stuff I do buy, I make sure it’s on the cart.
I know it doesn’t make much of a difference - but it’s always that funny thing: if everyone who said “ah, it doesn’t make a difference so I’ll just go with it” would actually alter their spending, the companies would be forced to adapt.
But it’s just how people are on a grand scale: impossible to organize.
@Unit_DTH
You’re taking these companies not giving you the actual product.
Lend and sell your gkcs all you want while you can because when those download servers go down, (and they will), you’re not gonna be able to do jack with that hunk of plastic unless you already have everything downloaded (better hope your storage never fails).
Online-only stuff like this is even worse. You don’t even have the license; you’re literally renting the license from the company to download and play the game. They can revoke that at any time, and depending on the type of game, they can just shut the whole thing down whether you have it downloaded or not.
That’s what I mean about taking it. You’re just another cog in the machine of these greedy companies jacking up prices while taking away autonomy from the consumer.
For me, Sega games kind of have that Ubisoft feel to them: If you wait a few weeks after launch, you can typically get them for like half off. And it seems like they release SO many Sonic games that they just kind of lose their luster, you know?
@devil76
Because some people take a position and actually stick to it?
Shocking, I know.
Most gkc releases are pure greed on the side of the publisher - a game like this can easily fit on a normal card. Up the price of the physical of you want, but to not offer it at all is stupid.
@Dazman That's one way to look at it, yes. The other way is to look at it as taking a unified stance against something that has the very, VERY real potential to put most of us out of jobs.
It really comes down to whether we as a civilization are capable of implementing AI in a way that works cooperatively with us rather than competitively with us.
This game is sooooooooooooooo good. So creative, so much fun, so replayable. It's one of those true examples of the sequel being better than the original.
@Roibeard64 It's just another case of consumers handing more power back to the companies in favor of convenience, plain and simple. The advent of digital is no more or less than that.
Hate it or feel "meh" towards it, it's exactly the scenario that shows how stuff like this takes power away from the consumers and consolidates it with the companies.
Comments 488
Re: Pokémon Pokopia + Expansion Pass Switch 2 Game-Key Card Release Announced
I mean... why? Seriously... why?
The greed on this one just stinks. It stinks.
Re: Pokémon Legends: Z-A Is Getting A New Switch 2 Physical Release Next Month
@Tyranexx
Geez loweez, what a bummer! Ugh.
Maybe in the West it'll get a full physical? I feel like they would pick up a couple million more sales.
Re: Pokémon Legends: Z-A Is Getting A New Switch 2 Physical Release Next Month
Nice. Now do Pokopia.
Re: Zelda's Limited-Edition Switch 2 And Other 40th Anniversary Items Are Already Selling Out, Unsurprisingly
Preordered the game, but even though the console looks nicer than I thought, I just can't bring myself to spend 500 bucks on something I already have lol
Re: Video: Here's What Nintendo's Revised Switch 2 Console Looks Like
@Manguy888A
Yea, if the Zelda console is the new one with the easily replaceable battery, that would probably tip me to getting it. It really does make a difference in the long run to have a console that's easy to replace the internals.
Re: UK Charts: Oblivion Remastered Takes A Tumble After Its Strong Debut
Another reminder that Oblivion and Indiana Jones will be getting reprints very soon, so please don’t cave and buy from scalpers in the meantime.
Re: Pokémon Pokopia Expansion Pass Getting Packaged Download Release
Getting warmer...
Re: UK Charts: Switch 2 Sales Lead Oblivion Remastered To The Top Spot
Remember: They're doing another print run of the physical towards the end of August!
Re: Switch Online's DK Challenge Now Offering Physical 39-Card Set Reward
That's pretty awesome. Now I will actually do them!
Re: Poll: So, Are You Getting The Zelda Switch 2 Console And Pro Controller?
The pro controller is gross.
The console, though, is tempting the more I look at it. The dock is great, and the Joy Con aren't bad at all.
Re: Legend Of Zelda Limited Edition Switch 2 Console And Pro Controller Leaks
Ehhhhhhh... I was thinking about it, but maybe not lol
Re: Square Enix's Financial Year Is Off To A Strong Start, With Profits On The Up And Up
I'm glad they're doing well - I really like their games.
Just put the ones that can fit on cartridges on the cartridge, though, please! Geez.
Re: Hades II Announces Another Update, Here Are The Full Patch Notes
@asdfghjklz
Absolutely, but with respect, my answer is: so what?
Most people wouldn't even use it (or even know what it means lol).
Re: 'Croc 2' Is Getting The Remaster Treatment Later This Year
@LightSpirit
That’s a very presumptive comment. I’m a decade behind you because I started playing in the mid-to-late 80s, but I’m just saying that in my opinion, Croc is not a good game.
I know that many people have nostalgia for it and enjoy it, especially in Europe, but I just found its hit detection to be bad, character has no weight to it, and the level design is uninspired.
It’s a bit disturbing that an older person such as yourself would make such a willful assumption.
Re: 'Croc 2' Is Getting The Remaster Treatment Later This Year
Ehhhh... I was excited to play the first Croc remaster last year because I LOVE platformers and never played this franchise, but dang... it's just not a good game. I can see it being decent back in the 90s, but holy cow it hasn't held up at all, in my opinion.
Re: Pokopia Expansion Pass Trailer Reveals New Pokémon & A First Look At 'Part 2'
So honest question: what do we think the chances are for a full physical release once they finish with the DLC next year?
Re: Hades II Announces Another Update, Here Are The Full Patch Notes
@Yosti
I honestly don’t know in this case because I never patched the game, but it’s a good question. I assume there are people around here with the cartridge but did install the updates that can speak to that.
@metaphysician
I’ve been saying for years that the Switch needs to allow for version reversion. But yea, nothing to do with key cards lol
Re: Hades II Announces Another Update, Here Are The Full Patch Notes
@Nintendemon
I played the Switch 2 version entirely off the cartridge, never downloaded any patches or anything... what are you talking about?
Re: Opinion: Nintendo Gains A Rep Boost As Sony & Microsoft Lay Waste To The Industry
None of this shocks me.
I'm old enough where Nintendo is the OG in the home console space after the cluster that was Atari, Magnavox, and a few others.
Sony and Microsoft are still the "new" kids to me (this is what happens when you get old lol), so I'm not shocked that their focus really isn't on the games.
Nintendo's always been about the games, first and foremost, and in a games industry that's gonna help you weather the storm.
Re: Koei Tecmo Wanted Pokémon Pokopia To Be The Very Best (Selling) Pokémon Spin-Off
It will.
That said, actually release it physically and you'll get even people like me to buy it!
Re: The Excellent MIO: Memories In Orbit Is Getting A Proper Physical Edition On Switch 2
@SillyG
Yea - it seems like a pretty easy option that could be utilized from game to game depending on how fast they would need the read speeds.
Definitely bizarre.
Re: The Excellent MIO: Memories In Orbit Is Getting A Proper Physical Edition On Switch 2
These boutique physical runs are really good indicators that cartridge costs are somehow more reasonable. Otherwise… I would assume something like this would just be a huge money bath for the publisher?
Re: Talking Point: As Sony Bins Physical, How Long Until Nintendo Follows Suit?
Well, pretty much the last traces of control will be handed to the companies, all in the name of convenience lol
Anyway, I’ve always wondered how much those digital sales percentages are affected by digital-only games. Tons of games come out that you can literally only download, especially at launch, even some big ones like Silksong. How much does that affect these percentages?
Re: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Remastered Launches August, Physical Edition Confirmed
Wow! I will probably buy this on cart now. Good job!
Re: Switch 2's First Year Hardware Sales For The US Have Been Revealed
It's cool to see that it's selling well, of course, but even better to see that its sales are spread kind of evenly across the regions.
Re: "This Is Even Worse" - GTA 6 Code-In-A-Box Reveal Reignites Game-Key Card Debate
@jsty3105
You’re not addressing what I said: we really have no idea how/when/why servers like these will go “down.” And that’s disregarding the entire other discussion that could be had about individual games going “down” on a case-by-case basis. You’re choosing to skirt around all of that.
In the scheme of things, we’re in uncharted territory when it comes to this kind of stuff. The era of digital-only games is relatively young when put into the context of an entire hobby that is fairly young to begin with.
I think the logical thing to do is to not assume anything and rely on one basic fact: companies will do whatever makes them the most money, and when we don’t have unfettered access to the games we “buy,” it makes it easier for those companies to make swift, controlling moves.
Re: "This Is Even Worse" - GTA 6 Code-In-A-Box Reveal Reignites Game-Key Card Debate
@jsty3105
If you want to be realistic about it, you and I really can’t say when the servers will go down. We can’t even say what that may look like: most just assume like what happened to earlier consoles, but it could look like something entirely different we haven’t even encountered yet.
Bottom line: companies exist to make money and will make deals to make that happen. If that means taking down cloud versions without refund like Square just did, pulling a game altogether like Anthem, or switching licenses/rights like Octopath and Cooking Mama, they will do it regardless of what we want.
And if they have most of us essentially renting their games through digital licenses, then all of the above (and more) is that much easier to do than if we had physical copies with all the data that could be played entirely without connecting to the internet.
Re: "This Is Even Worse" - GTA 6 Code-In-A-Box Reveal Reignites Game-Key Card Debate
@Unit_DTH
In all honesty I do mostly buy and play retro games and consoles. What modern stuff I do buy, I make sure it’s on the cart.
I know it doesn’t make much of a difference - but it’s always that funny thing: if everyone who said “ah, it doesn’t make a difference so I’ll just go with it” would actually alter their spending, the companies would be forced to adapt.
But it’s just how people are on a grand scale: impossible to organize.
Re: "This Is Even Worse" - GTA 6 Code-In-A-Box Reveal Reignites Game-Key Card Debate
@Unit_DTH
You’re taking these companies not giving you the actual product.
Lend and sell your gkcs all you want while you can because when those download servers go down, (and they will), you’re not gonna be able to do jack with that hunk of plastic unless you already have everything downloaded (better hope your storage never fails).
Online-only stuff like this is even worse. You don’t even have the license; you’re literally renting the license from the company to download and play the game. They can revoke that at any time, and depending on the type of game, they can just shut the whole thing down whether you have it downloaded or not.
That’s what I mean about taking it. You’re just another cog in the machine of these greedy companies jacking up prices while taking away autonomy from the consumer.
Re: "This Is Even Worse" - GTA 6 Code-In-A-Box Reveal Reignites Game-Key Card Debate
@Unit_DTH
Well, it’s upsetting to see how willing you are to just sit back and take it from these companies when it comes to actually owning anything.
Re: Sega Says Sonic Racing And Shinobi Sales Have "Fallen Short" Of Expectations
For me, Sega games kind of have that Ubisoft feel to them: If you wait a few weeks after launch, you can typically get them for like half off. And it seems like they release SO many Sonic games that they just kind of lose their luster, you know?
Re: Round Up: The Reviews Are In For The Adventures Of Elliot: The Millennium Tales
@devil76
Because some people take a position and actually stick to it?
Shocking, I know.
Most gkc releases are pure greed on the side of the publisher - a game like this can easily fit on a normal card. Up the price of the physical of you want, but to not offer it at all is stupid.
Re: Talking Point: Starter Pack - What Are Your Nintendo Switch 2 Essentials?
World and a pro controller
Re: Indiana Jones And The Great Circle On Switch 2 Gets A Small Hotfix Patch
It was good but not great for me. I finished it a few days ago and don't really have a desire to go back for 100%.
It did crash on me 3 times, but I was playing from the cart with no patches.
Re: Crystal Dynamics Comments On Its Use Of AI In Tomb Raider: Legacy Of Atlantis
@Dazman
That's one way to look at it, yes. The other way is to look at it as taking a unified stance against something that has the very, VERY real potential to put most of us out of jobs.
It really comes down to whether we as a civilization are capable of implementing AI in a way that works cooperatively with us rather than competitively with us.
Re: Hades II Is Getting Another Update Soon, Here Are The Full Patch Notes
This game is sooooooooooooooo good. So creative, so much fun, so replayable. It's one of those true examples of the sequel being better than the original.
Re: Kingdom Hearts Switch Cloud Versions Discontinued From Sale
@Hawkguy474
you paid money for something, that something is now going to be taken away from you, and you have no issue with it?
Re: Kingdom Hearts Switch Cloud Versions Discontinued From Sale
But companies will never take advantage of the digital ecosystem! It would be suicide for their brand!
Re: Nintendo Direct Announced For Tomorrow, 9th June 2026
I mean, it's gonna be the greatest Direct ever. It's just fact.
Re: Star Fox On Switch 2 Is Getting A Day One Update
@AussieMcBucket
What online games do you play that are 100% complete on physical media?
...yea. Online modes pretty much always need patches.
If you don't plan on playing online multiplayer, then you don't need to download anything.
Re: Star Fox On Switch 2 Is Getting A Day One Update
A game with online play needs an update? No way!
Re: Poll: What Review Score Would You Give Indiana Jones And The Great Circle?
7/10 right now a couple hours in.
I'm liking it but not loving it. The "Indy" aesthetics are spectacular for a fan of the movies like me, but the gameplay itself isn't super inspired.
I did have the game freeze up on me and crash out once, too. I'm playing straight off the cart and didn't download any updates for it.
Re: Nintendo Isn't Ruling Out Further Switch 2 Price Changes Just Yet
Maybe they can raise the price another 50 but start bundling it with Mario Tennis Fever lol
Re: Nintendo Announces Switch 2 Pokémon Pokopia Bundle
@Roibeard64
It's just another case of consumers handing more power back to the companies in favor of convenience, plain and simple. The advent of digital is no more or less than that.
Re: Preview: Indy's Still In Whip-Cracking Shape As MachineGames Squeezes Mileage From Switch 2
@hcfwesker
Load times? Sure, some games take a few more seconds.
But button latency? That's a new one lol
Re: It Sounds Like Peach's Mario Galaxy Movie Backstory Will Be Canon In Future Games
Woof. Some people here need to not read any of the old game manuals.
If this sort of thing gets you upset, you’ll have an absolute fit when you first read Birdo’s bio in the Mario Bros. 2 manual haha.
Re: Random: Borderlands 4 Physical Switch 2 Version Apparently Surfaces In The Wild
Hate it or feel "meh" towards it, it's exactly the scenario that shows how stuff like this takes power away from the consumers and consolidates it with the companies.
Re: Feature: A Look Back At Every Game Nintendo Life Scored 10/10 Over 20 Years
@mlt
You think Returns is worse than DKC 3?
Re: Looks Like 'Elden Ring' Will Be A Pricey Game-Key Card Release On Switch 2
@Deadlyblack
Is it on the disc for the other consoles?
Re: New Limited-Time Switch 2 Offer Features A Small Saving On Mario Galaxy
@jsty3105
Gotcha. Cuz yea, that was a weird conversation lol