Wii U System Update 5.1.1 is Now Available

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Minor enhancements and stability ahoy!

Just a short amount of time ahead of a Hyrule Warriors Nintendo Direct and in the midst of Nintendo Network maintenance, Nintendo has released a system update for the Wii U; version 5.1.1 is now available in Europe and North America, and appears to be one of those lovely stability updates.

It's a small download, and the official changelog brings the hype — well, not really — with its promise of mysterious user improvements and even more stability.

Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience

One of our readers (thanks Greg L) has reported TVii issues in North America at the time of writing — which we've verified — but this is more than likely due to disruption from the Nintendo Network maintenance highlighted above. It seems Nintendo is busy behind the scenes right now, even if there's no discernible enhancement in this latest system update; we shouldn't complain, as it's barely been a couple of weeks since update 5.1.0, which added Wii U to Wii U transfers and new eShop browsing options.

Can you handle all of this stability that Nintendo is serving up on the Wii U through these system updates?

DiscoGentleman

DiscoGentleman said:

Update and maintenance just before the direct? I've got my hopes set too high for a Hyrule Warriors demo...

Vrael

Vrael said:

I think it's about time nintendo released a major upgrade for the wii u. An account system would be most appreciated nintendo especially with the holidays coming up. Put it up now so if you put it up around christmas it doesn't take the eshop down.

blaa6

blaa6 said:

What about N64 and Gamecube...maybe an announcement of Zelda MM or OoT for eShop?

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

Heh, this system is about as stable as a Jenga Tower with all the blocks on.
Untitled

Now we just need to add some heavy duty glue.

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

So again, in other words "one of our coders found an exploit, so we fixed it." Glad to see the software engineers at Nintendo are put to good work. :)

ValiantPixel

ValiantPixel said:

The Wii U is so stable now that I could place an entire Wailord on top of it, and it wouldn't break.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

Seems too coincidental.......like something is gonna happen to shock us all.....and I suppose by shocking us all I mean nothing will happen other then stability and the engineers at Nintendo are laughing at all of us for getting excited about every minor update.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Looking back on older Nintendo consoles it's nice to enjoy one that can be easily updated regularly along with patches to games and extra content.

I am wondering if Nintendo will do the account thing this generation. I was already to go mostly digital, but the tying of games to hardware has stopped me (had a bad time with our Wii in the last year before Wii U). Wii U to Wii U transfer is a start, but that means if something goes wrong on my hardware I have to get it in working order before transferring. Not good enough for me yet.

So many questions to answer with an account system and a big infrastructure to go around it, too. What cool Nintendo-ish features could they add as a result? Would be nice.

For those getting all excited about the timing. I wouldn't expect too much. I don't think they'd want to have an update AND a launch of a demo on the same day/night. It would be good to let the update breath a week and make sure it didn't add additional issues — though it is a minor update...

My vote (since I have none) is an out of the blue/orange Splatoon Demo! Woohoo!

JoostinOnline

JoostinOnline said:

For those who were wondering, it fixes an exploit that was leaked (and has nothing to do with piracy before anyone gets crazy) a few weeks ago.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

Wild speculation time? I'm gonna guess an announcement for a DS Zelda (Phantom Hourglass) available on VC in all area's to celebrate the upcoming Hyrule Warriors

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@Gerbwmu We have a live blog for the Direct going up shortly (oh yes!) so wild speculation will be VERY welcome there, too.

whanvee

whanvee said:

@DiscoGentleman
a demo might get them lots of fans but it just might turn off a lot of people too. Specially if it is as repetitive as some people think it might be.

whanvee

whanvee said:

They will probably just be showing off the English dubbed version. I wouldn't expect very much. Then again if they said they were releasing a playable demo of the new Zelda at the end of it, I can't say I would be mad.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Any chance the stability helps w/ the Quick Menu? Every time I start WW HD fomr th equick menu the Wii U come s to a compelte halt w/ just Wii on th eTV. It' shappened aout 6 o r7 time sso I'm not trying again. IT happened 4 or 5 times w/ a disc in s I stopped leaving the disc in a nd it worke da few times but then it started freezing again so I'v ehad enough of the uickstart meu.

Mega719

Mega719 said:

Knew it was nothing serious. Nintendo doesn't really do demos of mainstream games of course this wasn't going to be a Hyrule Warriors demo

millarrp

millarrp said:

I'm all for a more stable system. Hopefully N64 games will be available on the VC soon (and I know this is a pipe dean at the moment).

Fidu21

Fidu21 said:

Yoshis_VGM

Yoshis_VGM said:

@Vrael That sadly probably won't be for a while, because they just released the 5.0.0 update about two months ago and these major updates tend to take them a long time to develop.

Zatioichi

Zatioichi said:

Hopefully this minor update is going to really stand out for a change. I've been getting some lag in MH3U since the last one..so hopefully this will fix that. Need to watch the direct too!

Cosats

Cosats said:

Maybe it has to do with a fix for that X-type leaderboard crashing thing.that was removed from the e-shop.

outburst

outburst said:

When I'm cleaning my gamepad while switching it on (so I dunno exactly how to replicate this bug again but it happened 4 times already with the last one being last night), sometimes the left stick gets stuck (on the system not on the gamepad itself) and the hand cursor on the screen keeps going up. I can scroll down but when I let go of the left stick, it goes up again. I'll need to put off and on the console again to fix it.

JoostinOnline

JoostinOnline said:

@ThomasBW84 As I said in a message I sent to the staff (not that they ever seem interested in the specifics), this update was for the browser. It blocked an exploitable vulnerability that was leaked about a month ago.

Kirk

Kirk said:

While Microsoft and Sony add things like MP3 playback, 3D Blu-Ray support and pre-loading of games etc, Nintendo gives us more "stability" and very little else with each new update.

How about actually adding some meaningful stuff to the system, Nintendo, like basic MP3/MP4/AVI/DVD playback, a proper unified account system or some useful TVii functionality in the UK, etc...

jafelix

jafelix said:

@outburst I think there's a way to reset the stick calibration, I read it somewhere on the manual where you hold A,B,+ and - for at least three seconds, oh and don't hold the stick from its neutral position when you turn the console on, launch a software and quit the software.

Liam_DoolanStaff

Liam_Doolan said:

In answer to your question Tom - probably not with my current internet plan. Hopefully I'm getting a new one soon!

DanielRMuriel

DanielRMuriel said:

The running joke you guys have got going on with the "aren't you enjoying all of the stability?" and "even more stability available" and of the such is really running its course. It's really not adding any flavor to horribly boring subject matter.

Kirk

Kirk said:

@JoostinOnline

I don't see the relevance.

The point I was making was that these updates are mostly worthless from the end consumer point of view in terms of actually adding any features and services that we give a sh*t about.

Yes, there's the obligatory fixes and "stability" increases but what about Nintendo actually adding some meaningful stuff we want too, like the various features and services I mentioned for example...

Pahvi

Pahvi said:

@Captain_Toad Bring on the Kragle!

And about stability... better have a stable foundation upon which to build whatever new ideas they have. But I'm not sure about them having any plans for new ideas.

K3nSh1n

K3nSh1n said:

Don't Dream guys. This update is ONLY to block the webkit exploit. Some stupid guyz release their NAND dumping tools screenshots before they finished the hack. Nintendo answer by an update :)

gsmaciel

gsmaciel said:

More stability is always welcome, specially for us who leave the system in the upright position.

Prizm

Prizm said:

@Fidu21 "Nintendo's updating the stability so much, i'm sure by the time they reach 6.0 they will have reached Singularity"
@Ootfan98 "Has anyone played Stability yet? Is it worth downloading?"

lol
prease understand stabirity
Oh well, I'd rather Nintendo gives us some updates rather than none.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

Makes me wonder if certain hard drives playing up since 5.0 is being looked at or can even be fixed. If I were Nintendo I would have feature updates in place and held back so when security patches happen they can brush it off as "lol no it was this"

What kind of features? Simple things like folders or being able to change the colour of the wara plaza or something...

ghasfarost

ghasfarost said:

@Vrael I wouldn't count on a full cloud account system as in Xbox Live or PSN for Nintendo hardware this generation at least. Their recent update adding wiiu-to-wiiu system transfer just makes it more cumbersome to de-attach the Nintendo Network ID from the hardware... From what Iwata presented on January, their target is to unify accounts with NNID until the next generation it seems. I just hope that all my purchases on my WiiU/3DS are transferable to whatever they are releasing...

Qeuix

Qeuix said:

I think for now I will stay physical on Nintendo's hardware game consoles until they have a proper all digital system ready to go. Which means I will just go for all digital on my PC laptop for now.

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

I feel so much stability. Definitely not getting vertigo any time soon.

Kirk

Kirk said:

@JoostinOnline

My point is that most of the updates have added very little of any genuine worth for the most part.

Nintendo should be pushing out some big new compelling features in these updates, like the basic MP3/MP4/CD/DVD playback, proper unified online shop accounts and some actual meaningful TVii integration in the UK, as I mentioned.

JoostinOnline

JoostinOnline said:

@Kirk I disagree. With the exception of this latest update, there have been some very nice features.

CD/DVD playback will never happen. The drive isn't capable of reading either.

elstif

elstif said:

Enough stability, we need folders on the WiiU menu before I run out of space.
And a real account system

ETLN

ETLN said:

The web browser version has been updated in the latest system update from version 3.0.0.9561 to 3.1.1.9577. The NX version has changed too. No idea whats new, perhaps security updates.