Extended Nintendo Network System Maintenance Scheduled for 9th December

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

3DS system update and Miiverse speculation ahoy!

What do you get when you combine a major 3DS system update loosely pegged for December with a lengthy session of system maintenance on the Nintendo Network? Speculation, that's what! Nintendo's network status pages for North America and Europe are showing aligned and extended maintenance scheduled for early next week. Mario needs time to prepare his tools for the job.

The date, details and affected services are below:

From Monday 9th December 9:00 AM Pacific / 12pm Eastern / 5pm UK / 6pm CET to Monday 9th December 8:00 PM Pacific / 11pm Eastern / 4am UK (10th December) / 5am CET (10th December)

Affected Services:
Wii U

• Nintendo eShop
    Nintendo 3DS
  • Nintendo eShop
    Wii
  • Wii Shopping Channel
    Nintendo DS
  • Nintendo DSi Shop

Of course, the fact that wider Nintendo Network performance isn't listed causes doubts, while the presence of the Wii and DSi platforms raises the possibility that this isn't a precursor to the promised 3DS update — that update, if you've forgotten, will include 3DS Nintendo Network ID support, shared eShop balances, and a Miiverse app for the portable.

But still, that's 11 hours of maintenance that will cause intermittent downtime, so we'd like to think that Nintendo will be doing something interesting. Feel free to speculate wildly in the comments below.

[via nintendo.com, nintendo.co.jp]

cookiex

cookiex said:

It'll definitely be for the shared eShop balances and NNID support for 3DS, since Miiverse isn't listed as an affected service.

Morphbug

Morphbug said:

Please don't be the miiverse update.

I'm not ready yet, I still can't decide the fate of my nnid.

ericflapjack

ericflapjack said:

Now that I actually took the time to read what the is affected by the outage, agree with @cookiex and I think this has more to do with the eShop balances. But the speculation will be entertaining until then. I'd also love to be wrong and have Miiverse roll out at the same time.

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

I think it's not necessary to shut down Miiverse while their working on the maintenance. It's not like they're changing anything on the Wii U version and they also didn't need to do it every time they added some communities (wich is the ONLY change that comes to us Wii U owners with the 3DS app.)

sevex

sevex said:

@Morpheel I'm in the same boat. My NNID is locked to my room-mate's Wii U so I have not yet taken my own Wii U online, and I'm not sure if it's safe to use it on my 3DS once this update goes live.

Gioku

Gioku said:

Either this is it, or this is just setting up the 3DS OS to be ready for it.

belmont

belmont said:

Maintenance cases like this happen regularly on other services and ... nothing happens after them!

SilverArrow

SilverArrow said:

Calling it now: the update will hit either next week or the week after. Anyway, it'll be here by Christmas. Mark my words!

rjejr

rjejr said:

11 hours? My math says 17 hours. I'll check again.

No you were right, 11 hours. Much better. Monday seems like a good day to do it as well.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

I guess I'm the lucky one where this does nothing but help me......if it is the update. NNID on both Wii U and 3DS with shared balances would make it easier when I want to purchase something from the eShop.

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

The fact that the Wii U Miiverse isn't being affected by this makes me doubt its the Miiverse update. Since it affects all of the shop services, maybe its combining all of the shops into one like PSN and adding NNID to Wii, DSi and 3DS? I highly doubt it though, and I think its just general maintenance to be honest. Nothing to see here...

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

Really, they had to pick a day when Club Nintendo should be switching over titles to the new ones to kill the eShop? Great planning Nintendo. Are you trying to make botched Club Nintendo releases a regular thing?

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

I hope we get Miiverse before Christmas since I don't have a Wii U and would love to have it.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

Here's hoping it's the shared eShop balances. I'm planning to buy 3 $50 eshop cards next week and it would be convenient not deciding how to spilt it between the 3ds and WiiU.

LuckyTJ

LuckyTJ said:

i hope they don't stop the wii ware and dsi ware services. im still using those.

raiden777

raiden777 said:

Ima just play pokemon x and some animal crossing new leaf and new Zelda , if there's so network downtime.

Miiverse needs some major upgrades and linking 3ds and wii u is a start. But they need an option for a more mature Miiverse you can toggle between cuz Miiverse is very geared toward kids.

For instance , on the netflix app, u get prompted on start up if want the regular version or kids version of netflix. Miiverse should have a version for kids and a version for hardcore or mature players. Cuz I'm tired of seeing kid miis dancing around the earth when I want go to Miiverse. Even the music is very kid centric.

Nintendo , please respect your 18+ community. We love ninja gaiden and call of duty ghosts. We feel alienated in ways. Please create a Miiverse for the rest of us. Cuz we don't want to go to xbox live or play station network.

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

Aren't these maintenance things happening every month? So, this won't be related to the update. That may or may not be released on that day.

Also the update will add Miiverse to the handheld, Miiverse won't be released separately ;)

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

Didn't they confirm that part of the 3DS update is Miiverse? Would make sense to release it all at once

cheleuitte

cheleuitte said:

nintendo should star a cross buy system like sony have and they can star with the virtual console games because to me buy zelda 1 & 2 for 3DS and WiiU don't make sense, but buy it once for both systems is more reasonable!!

skjia

skjia said:

"Feel free to speculate wildly in the comments below."
Well if you insist... I hope this update finally brings the much anticipated dish washing update. Can't wait for my Wii U to do my dishes for Mii!

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

The Wii U was released late November here in Brazil, but the Wii U eShop still isn't available for us. Maybe this means it's finally come? One can hope. :)

burninmylight

burninmylight said:

@raiden777

Really? I'm a grown man myself, and I fail to see what's so childish about Miiverse, other than some of the people using it. Miiverse doesn't need cursing, blood and cleavage all over the place.

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

@burninmylight 100% correct.

I really like how clean and proper Miiverse is. It's without any doubt the best online community on any console I've ever seen. Better than XBOX Live or PSN.

jcdcwc

jcdcwc said:

How about this Nintendo? All 3ds or 2ds owners can use their handheld to control wiiu console. Nintendo release a cheaper wiiu for such owners. Wiiu sales rocket and 3ds owners can use wiiu or 3ds software!! Win win situation. Then nintendo release a 3ds game adaptor for current or future wiiu customers. Think of the size of the games catalogue?

burninmylight

burninmylight said:

@SanderEvers

Miiverse is the one social network I even bother with anymore, and frankly, that surprises me. I didn't think I'd be using it as much, but it really is the best way to chat with similar gamers and filter out trolls.

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

@raiden777 Miiverse has the most mature community so far...I rarely see kids spamming the communities with nonsense - hell, some of them are even more helpful if you've got questions than 90% of those stupid 18+ games elitists. THOSE are the people that manage to ruin your Miiverse experience as an adult.

And just as a sidenote: how is it possible for someone to count CoD as a game for "serious gamers" (as if something like that exists. If you're taking games serious, you've got the wrong hobby), when at least a third of all players online are 12-15 yearolds screaming at you and insulting other people? (And I did experience this on the Wii U servers...)

jorgem696

jorgem696 said:

Im still mad that Nintendo doesnt want to get there head out of there donkeys and do something like the PSVita private messages and even adding friends on mii verse like the Wii U but I still the 3DS but it's dumb why not combine all this awesome things on it

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

So I guess we are finally getting the cross-console account system :) hooray, now I can download that Phoenix Wright DLC with the funds I saved on my Wii U!

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

@raiden777 Well, after reading the part of "call of duty ghosts" I automatically assumed you would be used to little kids being around :P Just kidding man.
I'm an adult gamer and I personally don't mind the nicer/more charming setup of Miiverse as opposed to the bland, generic, music-less Xbox Live/PSN... It's just different in a good way.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@Darknyht

You have a great point. However, the games there are never so awesome that you need to get them on day 1. They won't run out of stock for them either.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

C'mon people, we need some more outlandish speculation. I think it's prepping for Gyromite to come to the VC!

GamerZack7

GamerZack7 said:

As long as the update arrives before I leave for my holiday on the 16th, I shouldn't have any problems. Well, apart from my Nintendo Network ID, that is.

Discipledoctor

Discipledoctor said:

It's happening! Hopefully we see MiiVerse on 3DS out of this. Right now I don't think we have enough information to go either way, so I'm just going to sit here and hope that it does come.

Have they said anything about which games will have communities? I've been waiting to play Kirby & The Amazing Mirror again and figured I'd wait til MiiVerse comes, but if it doesn't have a community then that kind of ruins the point.

kereke12

kereke12 said:

Ohh great! Just when I'm going to lose my internet service. Couldn't Nintendo do it sooner?

Olmectron

Olmectron said:

@Georgethecow I think only public titles will have a community. That's just my opinion, though. We don't know anything yet, we've only seen some 3DS retail games communities on images, from the last Nintendo Direct.

However, there's no official word yet, so none of us can confirm anything.

Discipledoctor

Discipledoctor said:

@Olmectron

Yeah, you bring up a good point, but hopefully it does come. Thanks for the reply though, I wasn't sure if they had put out official word yet or not, but it seems not. Still though, hopefully we'll know quite soon. Maybe Reggie will bring it up on Saturday....nah.

PadWarrior

PadWarrior said:

Wild speculation here, but VGX is Saturday, what if the big announcement is a Smash Bros demo with DS interfacing? I know I know it's a long shot. :) But I can dream.

hcfwesker

hcfwesker said:

@burninmylight Same here, man. I'm in my thirties and absolutely enjoy Miiverse. Whether I'm chatting about games, posting screen shot achievements and such; it really is neat how something so simple really makes the WiiU stand out in that aspect. Though, I do question some actions the admins take on posts that are not rule breaking which clearly shows its an automated system or something moderating the app. My main 2 gripes I've always had are kids spamming sections with non sense posts, and the stupid yeah begging.
Which, I will say the recent update where they made players posts show by default in game sections, and they removed 'Yeah' counts from members profiles have really made an impact on those 2 issues I mainly had. I haven't seen a yeah beggar for a week or so.

As far as the update goes, are they actually merging WiiU & 3DS Miiverse's? Or will they be separate platforms but where you use the same NN. ID Because if they're separate then there shouldn't be any reason to shut down WiiU Miiverse to add the 3DS Miiverse.

Random unimaginable speculation: adding Power Glove compatibility for browsing all platform eShops.

Olmectron

Olmectron said:

@PadWarrior A wilder speculation here. Maybe Reggie will give footage of the upcoming Wii U Zelda game, and he will reveal it will be out before april next year! I hope your speculation gets real too! We can dream. :)

Olmectron

Olmectron said:

@Georgethecow Probably it will be something unexpected, just like the last Wii U update on October. So, my thoughts go for the update happening soon after the maintenance.

I repeat it, it's just my thoughts on the matter.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Sounds to me like they're cleaning up some servers. But anything might happen.

@PadWarrior ... well, except for that. Nintendo themselves don't release demos of their games, and they'd have no need to - especially with Smash Bros., which will sell like crazy from hype alone.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Are we finally getting an account system instead of tied to console digital purchases and limited console transfers for the 3DS?

*Slowly walks away.

KeatonTS

KeatonTS said:

To everyone talking about Miiverse no being down for maintenance. I don't think they need to be, they already updated miivere Wii U to be ready for the 3ds version, they rearranged a lot of things for the arrival of Miverse 3ds so that navigation will be easy. etc the fact they did this so early in the game hints the update is close by.

KeatonTS

KeatonTS said:

@Bulby Or maybe Miiverse self updates unlike eshop where you have to update the entire system before you can use it.

Miiverse already had a recent update where Tom says that New updates/ changes have been made in preparation and arrival of the 3ds version

gregrout

gregrout said:

If you look at it logically (God forbid) everything impacted deals strictly with the eshop. So if I was a betting man I would put my money down on this being related to Nintendo's promise to unify accounts (e.g. eshop shared balances between 3DS and Wii-U).

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

I'm patiently waiting for the combined eShop balances - I have about $30 unused on Wii U that could help a little on my 3DS.

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

It would blow my mind if they would introduce Nintendo Network ID also for DSi and Wii shop channels. Would make transfer from Wii to Wii U a lot painless.

JuleyJules

JuleyJules said:

I seem to recall that last time we had extended maintenance on Wii U the update happened immediately after. I guess we'll see tomorrow and hopefully there are some surprises for Wii U owners though I'm not holding my breathe. We don't all own a 3DS after all.

Nico07

Nico07 said:

I just updated my 3DS and it is great, but has replaced my $10 3DS balance with my $29.14 balance on my Wii U. :( Oh well, will email support as I don't need it right away.