Nintendo of America Launches Weekly eShop Price Promotions

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

This week is all about the Zelda franchise

While many announcements in today's regional Nintendo Direct broadcasts were largely similar in both North America and Europe, one promotion confirmed by Nintendo of America's Reggie Fils-Aime may make some European gamers jealous. It's been confirmed that there'll be weekly eShop promotions covering the 3DS and Wii U platforms, with a different character featured each time around.

A special site has been launched to announce the details — http://www.nintendo.com/eshop/offers — with The Legend of Zelda's Link being the featured hero first time out. From 14th November to 21st November the following games will be available at a discount in North America.

Wii U Virtual Console

The Legend of Zelda — $3.49 (normally $4.99)

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link — $3.49 (normally $4.99)

3DS Virtual Console

The Legend of Zelda — $3.49 (normally $4.99)

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link — $3.49 (normally $4.99)

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX — $3.99 (normally $5.99)

The next three weeks will feature Mega Man, Mario and Donkey Kong, in that order. The promotions will clearly focus on Virtual Console offerings — though there's some scope for the occasional recent title with Mario and Donkey Kong — but could provide some pleasing discount goodies up until the end of the year.

Will you be picking up any of the discounted Zelda titles this week, North American gamers?

Related Games

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

Ambassador, so I only wish I waited to buy Link's Awakening since I recently bought it.

Although with Mega Man, Mario and Donkey Kong coming up in the next few weeks lets hope Nintendo makes this a tradition.

Epicnessofme99

Epicnessofme99 said:

This is sick, now all I need to do is buy a 20$ eshop card to get prepared for the next few weeks of sales, really glad this is being done!

Lan

Lan said:

Good start, but I'd like to see deep discounts like on PC.

Starzsixty9

Starzsixty9 said:

i have all of these games already :-p... and all of the megaman games... and a majority of the donkey kong and mario games hopefully this is when Mario Bros 3 will launch on the 3ds VC :-p

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Ok, I officially have no excuses to skip downloading Link's Awakening. Not even A Link Between Worlds' imminent release.

And awesome to see them finally have weekly deals.

SirQuincealot

SirQuincealot said:

every week i consider buying megaman, every week i say nah it will go on sale eventually (capcom loves there sales) and the waiting finally pays off...

heres hoping both the mario sequels get the sale treatment (nes and gb)

kidicaroots

kidicaroots said:

For me, this was the best news in today's Nintendo Direct. I honestly don't care about the social features. The account system is good but its still not what I think they should be aiming at. These sales, on the other hand, signals to me that Iwata's QA talk about not doing sales to avoid devaluing the software was just for show. Nintendo needs to get with the times and have a more flexible pricing policy.

soma

soma said:

Great! So glad I haven't bought any of those games, I'll buy the first Zelda and Link's Awakening

JMC

JMC said:

I already have all of these. What I wanted, and makes perfect sense, was if A Link to the Past released on both 3DS and Wii U.

darthmawl

darthmawl said:

I have all of them plus the oracles :-( Zelda week? Then release A link to the past on Wii U and Minish Cap on 3DS .... Please????

darthmawl

darthmawl said:

@WhiteTrashGuy Damn why did i wait a couple of months too late to buy a 3ds ! Grrrr its the only zelda i did not play ! I was about to buy a gba but im sure they will release it on VC one day !! I hope.

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

A great idea but most fans of this franchise probably already nabbed these.
There is literally no reward for first-day adopters.
What makes more sense is to offer a sweet deal the week of a release. Kind of like what Capcom has done with its VC titles where there is actually a really strong financial motivation to grab a few games at once.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I'm still glad Nintendo is having sales, but these are uninspiring.

I expect the next 3 weeks will be more of the same. Thats OK, I'm over VC anyway.

Blue_Dread

Blue_Dread said:

I already have all these games. Got LA as a free Club Nintendo gift bonus. I do like the idea of this though. If what they said is true then they will start releasing more than 1 poopy game each week. Maybe tomorrow, as a great start to this glorious agreement, they can finally release Super Mario Bros. 3!

JustinH

JustinH said:

I have Link's Awakening. I beat the first Zelda once and that was really enough for me. I find Zelda II abhorrent.

So, nothing for me.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Hmmm been putting off getting Link's Awakening perhaps now I will pick it up.

Can't wait for the Mega Man one either I need to finish off my Mega Man collection on the 3DS.

hcfwesker

hcfwesker said:

OK, I'm kind of confused here .... it seems Nintendo is doing some things that actually make sense, recently. This is great news for us VC addicts. now just get the games out.

Already have these due to the 3DS A,bassdor, and WiiU $1 VC upgrades. But it's a most welcome addition as long as these are weekly promotion deals.

Kaine_Morrison

Kaine_Morrison said:

The only thig is that there is no Audio coming from the TV when I play Zelda 1.... Does anyone else have this problem with the game?

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I already have all of these games for 3DS, but this is a great deal for North Americans. Wonder who will get the discount treatment next? Mario? Kirby?

workerbot

workerbot said:

Ha Ha...I just shared the page to my son's Facebook page, and i had to click a button 'Share Link'. That made me chuckle!

tanookisuit

tanookisuit said:

I think a real deal would be that games shared between both systems could be bought ONCE and work on both.

That said, $3.50 for the original Zelda is a pretty slick deal on either system.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

Odd that they would have the Ocarina Link on there and not have Ocarina of Time 3D for sale (it is on the eshop, right?)

GreatPlayer

GreatPlayer said:

I won't be jealous with these old Zelda games. When will the Ocarina of Time have a promotion?

Uberchu

Uberchu said:

Pwn all of these on my 3DS, no need for me to Pwn them on my Wii U as well Might be good if I need to fill up my Wii U's home screen though

DualWielding

DualWielding said:

still overpriced, when NIntendo announced discounts on the directs I was expecting better than this, 1 dollar discounts are hardly worthy of a Direct mention

Caryslan

Caryslan said:

Given I already have Zelda I and Link's Awakining, I'll wait for the Mega Man sale next week. I never cared for Zelda II, and I doubt it being on the 3DS will change my mind.

Besides, I'm hoping they put Mega Man V or VI on sale next week.

astros75

astros75 said:

Awesome News! I own all of these Zelda games but cant wait for Mega Man week.

@ferthepoet
Its actually $1.50 discount for 4 of the 5, and $2.00 off for DX. That's $8 off if someone was to buy all 5, overpriced or not, that's a nice little discount.

EvisceratorX

EvisceratorX said:

"will feature Mega Man, Mario and Donkey Kong, in that order...though there's some scope for the occasional recent title with Mario and Donkey Kong." This makes me sad. :(

meltendo

meltendo said:

Awesome but why are there no SNES games in the 3DS stores? I really want the original A Link To The Past. Heck, throw in Super Metroid someday.

chiefeagle02

chiefeagle02 said:

I already have the NES titles from the Ambassador Program, but I don't have Link's Awakening DX...yet.

Yomerodes

Yomerodes said:

Just interested in the Megaman week...first party virtual console games on the 3DS are just Club Nintendo fodder, I can wait to trade some coins for all of them.

FineLerv

FineLerv said:

It's a start but I hope they take the sales even further. I'd love to see those old high score based games (like Wrecking Crew) for under a dollar.

Yasume

Yasume said:

lol awesome 15%-25% discounts you got going on there Nintendo. This isn't even worth mentioning. Just shows how greedy they are. Wake me up when they are going to sell bundles for $5,-.

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

This would be awesome for Europe as well.

It's a huge missed opportunity that Nintendo hasn't released A Link to the Past before releasing the sequel. It would really hype the new release even further.

Reverandjames

Reverandjames said:

Still no LTTP release on Wii U. Seems like the perfect time to release it as they are releasing a direct sequel to it in a couple of weeks. Nintendo's strategy baffles me sometimes.

iphys

iphys said:

Been waiting for Link's Awakening to go on sale ever since Europe got a sale on it a long time ago. Will be buying.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Oooh, Mega Man, you say? I'm a fan since the early 90's, and haven't gotten a MM game for my 3DS or Wii U yet, so I'll definitely be on the lookout next week.

millarrp

millarrp said:

It's a good idea, but I've got all these already, maybe the donkey kong week I might pick up Jr and 3 for discount pricing

Alshain01

Alshain01 said:

Yeah, they should have done this AFTER releasing the nice new device that people are going to want to buy it on. Won't be able to get these because my 3DS isn't here yet :(. And it ends the day before the release!

Alshain01

Alshain01 said:

@Jimtendo They just put it on Club Nintendo, I have a feeling it will move to Wii U next week. Good for me cause I didn't have it on Wii and now it will only be the $1.5 upgrade

Mainer82

Mainer82 said:

I already have every Zelda title for the 3DS. I was really hoping that they'd release A Link to the Past on Wii U VC. I may re-purhcase LoZ for the Wii U because I enjoy playing that game so much.

I'd love to see TMNT released on the VC as well.

Alshain01

Alshain01 said:

@Jimtendo No, it's only on the Wii mode. But I'm betting that was a strategic move to release it this coming week just before ALBW

ericwithcheese2

ericwithcheese2 said:

While many of us already have most of these games, I think this is a good thing because it gives new owners - and there are probably a big influx of them thanks to Pokemon and the 2DS - to get on the eShop and buy games. I think it will benefit many of us, too, because there is bound to be some game that is discounted that we had previously passed on, but will find too tempted on sale. :)

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

I hope I detecting that Super Mario Bros. 3 on be released on the Wii U virtual console the week Mario is featured. Really want to upgrade.

Wish that A Link to a Past had been this weeks release. I hate having to drag out a Wii Virtual Console controller when I want to play it.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

hopefully for the megaman week, we will see Megaman 5&6 show up on the Wii U, or even X2... X3 will be doubtful but I can only hope. lol

As for the Donkey Kong games, i honestly hope we get to see Donkey Kong Country 1,2 and 3 get put up there and not just keep these NES games... I got bored of them in less than an hour after beating them quickly.

Ryno

Ryno said:

I have been holding off buying any VC games that have not been on sale. Looks like I will be picking up the two Zeldas for Wii U.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

If Mega Man 3-6 go on sale through the eShop on 3DS, I think I'll take advantage of that. As for Mario and DK, I have dern near everything on Wii U and 3DS, Virtual Console wise (unless of course, they happen to have Super Mario Bros. 3 on Mario's week and by some MIRACLE OF GOD they have Donkey Kong Country in DK's week).

Blue_Dread

Blue_Dread said:

I wonder if there is even a slight chance of them releasing the SNES version of Donkey Kong Country on Wii U and the GBC version on the 3DS on Donkey Kong Week.

marnelljm

marnelljm said:

If they release Mega Man X3 with SNES music, I'll go out and buy a Wii U. Not kidding.