Watch_Dogs Pushed Back to Spring 2014

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

That's on all platforms

In a surprise move, especially as it was due for release in the third week of November, Ubisoft has delayed the much-anticipated Watch_Dogs to Spring 2014. The new IP had gained plenty of attention, but there were warning signs when it was only visible as a prepared demonstration at the recent Eurogamer Expo, rather than as a playable demo.

In a note issued from the development team, it's stated that a focus on quality and polish have led to the decision to delay.

Our ambition from the start with Watch_Dogs has been to deliver something that embodies what we wanted to see in the next-generation of gaming. It is with this in mind that we’ve made the tough decision to delay the release until Spring 2014.

We know a lot of you are probably wondering ‘why now?’ We struggled with whether we would delay the game. But from the beginning, we have adopted the attitude that we will not compromise on quality. As we got closer to release, as all the pieces of the puzzle were falling into place in our last push before completion, it became clear to us that we needed to take the extra time to polish and fine tune every detail so we can deliver a truly memorable and exceptional experience.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you. We thoroughly enjoy and appreciate the way you respond on the web, at events, press conferences and during other opportunities we have to interact. Your passion is what drives us.

We can’t wait to see you in Chicago next Spring. We are confident you’ll love this game as much as we love working on it.

The title would have been going up against plenty of big-budget rivals this Holiday season, and perhaps the final result will be improved with the extra development time. After a concerted marketing campaign from Ubisoft this year, however, the decision is sure to disappoint a number of gamers.

Are you surprised or disappointed by this, or would you prefer that time is spent to improve the final product? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

It's ok, Ubisoft. People only seem to complain when it is Nintendo the one who delay their games.

eza

eza said:

I'd rather they take the time rather than release a rushed game.

The PC release of the Kickstarted tactical FPS "Takedown: Red Sabre" a few weeks ago was horrible. If they'd spent another 6-12 months on the game it would have made a big difference.

OT: why does every thread at the moment have a comment by Dambuster with "Watch the profanity please"?

DakotaM47

DakotaM47 said:

I was hoping to get this for the holidays, but now, it's just ALBW and 3DW. Well, at least it will be a time-killer for MK8 next year.

Jellitoe

Jellitoe said:

This will now almost definitely not sell good on the Wii U, Spring brings Donkey Kong and Mario Kart, plus who knows what else.

ghall

ghall said:

Super disappointed as it was one of the 2 3rd party Wii U games I was really looking forward to. But on the other hand I'll have a little extra money. :)

Peach64

Peach64 said:

That's quite a shock considering how close to launch it was surely. I mean, I'd have expected the game to be finished by now if they were launching at the end of November, so they'd have surely realised this quite a while ago. I'm glad they're doing this rather than rushing it out like they did with the first Assassins Creed though.

Jstar269

Jstar269 said:

It is all right, I will still try to get this next year. The Wii U version looks good for me.

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

There's just WAAAAAAY too many AAA games coming out this year and with GTA V still doing boffo numbers plus COD, Battlefield 4, & AC IV still to come this was probably a wise move for a new IP.

Plus there's not too much for "Next-Gen" after Christmas announced so it'll have prime real estate to itself!

cookiex

cookiex said:

Untitled

I was really looking forward to this game, and it's a loss that it's not coming out this year (not just to Wii U but all next-gen platforms, since I believe this was among the most hyped of the games coming). At least the extra development time will allow for a better game, and more polish for all versions.

Savino

Savino said:

Fear the mighty power of GTAV Ubi, FEAR!!!!!!!

Since I started to play GTAOnline I simply forget about any other open world game! WD is in my bargain bin list!

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

@Ryno Next-gen drought? There's over 30 titles launching for PS4 alone on launch day according to IGN. Who's got the time or money to even buy half of those?

Morph

Morph said:

Must say I'm quite surprised, but I never mind delays as long as they are all about improving the game

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

The thinking man's gta requires more thought eh?..... Bit gutted as this was the main 3rd party release I wanted outside of all the n games over x mas. At least rayman has turned out to be a real unexpected gem in my collection. But I guess good games are worth the wait, and at least we won't get a rushed game/port on the Wii u if they have more time.....I hope. :/

yvanjean

yvanjean said:

Just like that Wii U 2014 line up is look that much better.
DKC Tropical Freeze - February 2014
Mario Kart 8 - March 2014? or Q1
Watch dog - April 2014
Smash Brother (Wii U) - May 2014? or Q2

rjejr

rjejr said:

So how long until they announce the cancellation of the Wii U version? (I can't be the only person thinking that. TW even alluded to it in the caption.)

I ALWAYS thought Ubi releasing this and AC4 a month apart was odd, so I'm not surprised this got pushed back to the spring, am surprised they waited until now to do it. The AC series is i the fall, W_D in the spring,

I really don't think GTAV had anything to do with it.

ECMIM

ECMIM said:

@eza I think they ran into the ol' "we're out of budget and need to launch it now" phase of development--call it the Bethesda Development Method.

yvanjean

yvanjean said:

@rjejr only you!!!! If anything the WiiU version might actually get better. This current delay was done for financial reason. Ubisoft did not want there new IP to get lost in all the shuffle of next gen launch title and current holiday release.
But, I bet the team working on the WiiU version can use the extra time to make the game better on that console.

cookiex

cookiex said:

@rjejr

I'm pretty sure the Wii U version is far enough in development that it would make no sense to cancel it. Besides, by the time the game comes out Wii U's install base will be a lot bigger than right now so the delay could prove benefitial.

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

Ubisoft fails again. Too bad really, they used to be really good. But since Beyond Good and Evil I've yet to see a good game from them.

Maybe someday in 2020 we'll se Beyond Good and Evil 2 when Ubisioft is taken over by EA. After which every IP will be dead and Nintendo will rule the world once more.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@yvanjean - I hope the Gamepad gets fully integrated. I mean, the guy spends half his time in the game looking at a screen in his hand, and the Gamepad is a screen in our hand - but I haven't seen 1 single screenshot showing the Gamepad being used as this guys phone. I don't think I've seen 1 single Wii U version video either. Hence my fear.

kkslider5552000

kkslider5552000 said:

wow...um...can't say I saw this coming.

I don't consider this a bad thing though. It's an open world game that would've come out less than a month after AC4 and if that means it's better, I'm not gonna be mad.

Though...wow does the universe want me to support indies.

eza

eza said:

@X-Factor @ECMIM heh yeah :-) I backed it on Kickstarter and when I played the alpha thought they had decent core moving and shooting mechanics. Hoped they'd add a decent game around those mechanics. Then about a month later they announced a release date and alarm bells started ringing for me.
I thought "oh no it's just going to be the alpha with a few more maps isn't it?!".
And that's exactly what it was. Such a shame.

EvisceratorX

EvisceratorX said:

Well, at least they haven't done this before and delayed a game so close to its release. Oh, wait...

brucelebnd

brucelebnd said:

I think this is great news.

1. it gives Ubi more time to refine the game. I will wait for a better game

2. It gives me time to buy other games. Sonic Lost World, AC4, Arkham Origins, Mario 3D, Lego Marvel Super Heroes and a lot of others.

good move on Ubi's part.

Pachterkid

Pachterkid said:

As somebody who often criticizes Ubisoft for rushing their games and not polishing them, I have to tip my hat to them for this. Every Assassin's Creed game that I have played has been a buggy and glitch-ridden mess, so hopeful this will buck that trend.

Then again, maybe they just wanted the GTA V craze to die down and the delay has nothing to do with quality.

But assuming the PR statement is truthful it will make for a better game in the end, and that's what we all want. I would rather wait 3 months for a finished game than own a broken game 3 months earlier.

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

I don't really have a problem with delays, I just have a problem when Ubisoft delays their games when they're right around the corner of coming out! First Rayman Legends and now this! Stop announcing delays so late, Ubi! >_<

Banker-Style

Banker-Style said:

Massive shame was really looking forward to this,but as tere's too many games out between now and crimbo it isn't surprising.

Warruz

Warruz said:

Thats a big push, well now i have room for other games. Dont go delaying AC4 now!

rjejr

rjejr said:

@cookiex - a "few" seconds is right. I've seen a LOT more footage than that of The Last Guardian on PS3. No sign of a release date - or system - for that game yet.

@yvanjean - I remember the article.

Ubi has a delayed game that they are trying to make 5 versions of. 2 of those will have last gen graphics - PS3 and Xbox360, 2 will have next gen graphics on PS4 and X1. 1 will have it's own graphics set. If I'm Ubi, and I'm 6 months behind on launch, I know which version I'm dropping/delaying.

They'll blame poor Wii U AC4 sales.

Toki Tori 2+ was promised a level editor on Wii U too.

For the record, I'm not trying to be a downer, or play devils' advocate, I just feel like I've seen this movie before.

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

@Macarony64 It's the internet...hard to tell. You just said 18 are indie without any other words it's easily taken as a negative. Not saying it's you but alot of fanboys bash the PS4 for it's big indie support.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Its 30fps on all platforms unless that changes it is completely uninteresting in any way shape or form.

Macarony64

Macarony64 said:

@Dreamcaster-X I would have to be the biggest Hippocrate if I bashthe ps4 for his Indie support and don't do it against the wiiu lol,but ps4 realy needs more retail games at launch now that watchdogs is not coming on launch.

XxGame_LoverXx

XxGame_LoverXx said:

I shoulda knew this move was gone happen but It's all good Imma just get this next year when they release Thief

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

"But from the beginning, we have adopted the attitude that we will not compromise on quality."
If only every developer felt the same way.

cookiex

cookiex said:

@rjejr

We've seen zero of Call of Duty Ghosts on Wii U and and yet that comes out in three weeks, so lack of footage doesn't worry me when it comes to WD.

yvanjean

yvanjean said:

@rjejr game development stop at least one month before release date, hence why the delay is announce today, Ubisoft would not be delaying the game because the WiiU version is not ready. But on the other hand all game were near complete because everyone at Ubisoft before todays delay were aiming at a November release. The WiiU game is already playable and probably 99% finished.

This is the same thing as the Rayman Legends delay it's done for financial reason.

Ubisoft to shareholders:
"Our long term goal is to win the next generation. The tough decisions we are taking today to fully realize the major potential of our new creations have an impact on our short-term performance. We are convinced that, longer term, they will prove to be the right decisions both in terms of satisfaction for our fans and in terms of value creation for our shareholders. We are building franchises that will become perennial pillars of Ubisoft’s financial performance. In a context of growing successes for mega-blockbusters, the additional time given to the development of our titles will allow them to fulfill their huge ambitions and thus offer players even more exceptional experiences.

Fueled by strong momentum for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, calendar 2014 will see the return of growth to the console market. Combined with the quality of our line-up and our strong financial situation, this growth will allow us to achieve record operating income in fiscal 2014-15 and 2015-16."

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

@Macarony64 Now you're definitely joking...right?
COD, BF4, AC IV, NFS:Rivals, Driveclub, Killzone, Knack, Resogun, NBA2K14, Madden 25, Lego Marvel, Minecraft, etc etc....It's a solid lineup for any console launch with something for almost everybody.

seronja

seronja said:

i see they are trying to make this as awesome as they can, great job Ubisoft by that time you relese this i will play the orange box for the ps3 which i got for really cheap :P

rjejr

rjejr said:

@yvanjean - Are you trying to make me feel more positive about a Wii U version by quoting a Ubi paragraph that contains this sentence:

"Fueled by strong momentum for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, calendar 2014 will see the return of growth to the console market."

But it doesn't mention the Wii U anywhere? Not helping ;-)

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

They've spent far too much money on a Wii U version now to cancel it especially since the Wii U will have a much larger install base after the holidays.

Macarony64

Macarony64 said:

@Dreamcaster-X The list is impressive but it is full of already played titles with the exception of knack and killzone I could get those games anywhere and that's the same mistake Nintendo did with their launch. Not being a hater but for me both xbone and ps4 are not must own consoles the same way I did not own a wiiu at launch.

nyallj

nyallj said:

Remember you read this here first:
This game was delayed so that we could build cross-platform multiplayer across all 3 consoles.

yvanjean

yvanjean said:

@rjejr Just saying the game is suppose to be release this November, but was delayed to fuel the Xbox One and PS4 sales numbers and to improve the 2014 Ubisoft earning. The WiiU version of the game was initially schedule to release November 12. The WiiU version is complete and ready for release. So, your talk about cancellation of the WiiU version doesn't make any sense. At this point the cost of developing the game on all five console as already been incurred and none of the five version of the game will get cancel.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

@nyallj
That would be truly awesome.
I have to say, even though this was my most anticipated game of the year I'm actually glad this has happened. Partly because I have heard a lot of people who have had hands on time with the game say there were still quite a few glitches in the game which they were sceptical of the chances of them all being cleared before the near launch. Also because there are so many games on Nintendo I am excited about before Christmas. Zelda, 3D Mario, Batman, Pokemon, Deus Ex, as well as games I still haven't picked up like Luigi's Mansion 2 and Pikmin 3.
In a callous way it might also dent the appeal of Xbone and PS4 console launches.

Swiket

Swiket said:

@nyallj There is no possible way that Microsoft would allow that. Maybe Sony might be more lenient and Valve would be okay with it, but Microsoft didn't even allow Steam on their console for Portal 2.

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

@Savino GTA Online is awful and pointless. I was gutted at the actual cash I've spent on it.
GTA is a bargain bin game

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

If it means they use the time to make the best possible experience on wii U then I don't mind. I have a few games I want this November and December so I don't mind waiting. I just hope they aren't shooting themselves in the foot delaying it.

edit also!!! they better show some bl***y game play footage soon I'm tearing my hair out in anticipation

Knux

Knux said:

I'll probably buy a PS4 later because this was one of the first games I was thinking about buying with my PS4.

Araknie

Araknie said:

Ok, now i can pick up this game. Finally are listening to the fanbase and fixing up those issues.
Ok, then, i have faith again.
On Wii U of couse, why spend money for a next-gen console we i can get it on a console i already own.

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

@Macarony64 Unfortunately that's the world of cross platform titles we live in. You personally may not like any of those titles but you can't deny they're not "mass market" titles that will please most of the general gaming public. I hear what you're saying about them being available elsewhere but it's still much better than the PS3's or Xbox 360's launch titles. Watchdogs is a new IP but will also be available on all systems too.
People always have short memories about system launches until they look back at what was available but both new consoles will have very solid launch lineups over past generations.

Mommar

Mommar said:

Hmm, interesting. If it's this high profile and suddenly pulled so close to release the Software Engineer in me thinks they may have found a pretty massive bug.

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

@Mommar Naaaahh, they just realized that they would be cannibalizing AC IV's sales now that it has a ton of positive buzz. It wasn't doing too well when it was first announced but has now turned into a most wanted title for many. It makes sense. Nintendo did the same with Tropical Freeze. It was just TOO close to Super Mario 3D World.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Araknie Because Ubisoft are about the worst that you can get for caring about the quality of what they consider to be the least important ports. Plus as they have shown with ZombiU it will be dirt cheap on Wii U before long. (Best to take companies on what they do not what they say).

Ryo_Hazuki-san

Ryo_Hazuki-san said:

well looks like im getting a ps3 n gta v -_- this sucks was looking forward to having a open world game on my wii u..... Ball Dropped by ubi

ClockworkMario

ClockworkMario said:

It was my most anticipated game of 2013 :( . I know I'll play straight into Ubi's pocket, but this means I'll get AC4 sooner than I had planned, possibly at launch. My poor Wii U is dying for something to play.

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

I love all these comments that there's nothing to play on Wii U. The internet just cracks me up!!

yenly

yenly said:

THEY did it on purpose to wait for PS4 and XBone and I bet they paid for it. At this point is wil be about nintendo to be more innovative that the MONEY from SONY and MICROSOFT who like to spend their way throught

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

The question is was it delayed to improve the game across the board for all platforms, or was it delayed to improve the PS4/Xbone versions? I've heard negatives about the graphics not looking much better than this gen.

Savino

Savino said:

@DESS-M-8 well, I guess everybody here is entitle to have an opinion, right?!

I am having a blast with GTA Online and what I saw from WD was watered down by what I am seeing from GTA!

But as I said, it's my opinion!!!

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

I think there are several factors for the delay. I think GTA V's boffo numbers and the upswing in positive buzz for AC IV showed that they probably could afford to take the extra few months & polish it up more. No need in diluting the sales for AC with Watchdogs being released so close together. Now both titles will have more breathing room.

ACK

ACK said:

I've never seen the appeal of this one. Simply sounds like a chore to play. And everything visually looks pretty unappealing...

ACK

ACK said:

@Savino Yeah, I think there's some merit to that. Ubisoft execs played through GTAV and found they've been outdone in about every way. Much of their market will have GTAV sitting on their shelf or in their system. Watchdogs needs distance from that release.

gojiguy

gojiguy said:

hopefully they work on new gamepad features with the extra time they have.

Krzysztof

Krzysztof said:

They probably looked at the GTA 5 and realised that at the time, they have no chance competing against Rockstar's baby. Or it's just too many big AAA titles coming out this fall, not even mention about ACIV which would be a direct competitor to Ubisoft's new IP. One of these reasons or all of them, can't tell.

hydeks

hydeks said:

That really sucks but it gives me time now to switch my pre-order from the ps3 one to the wii u version, if they dont cancel that version :P

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

@sinalefa coughraymanlegendscough

This is a bit of a shame, but there's already so much coming out over Christmas so I'm ok with this.

HappyHappyist

HappyHappyist said:

damn, this game was my most anticipated of the year (i mean, just look at my avatar and username). really disappointed, but if they need more time on it, it's for the best.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Dreamcaster-X
Yeah but 99% of them are straight garbage. The only notable title PS4 is getting at launch is Killzone Shadowfall, which to me is as generic a FPS clone as they come. Only reason I'm buying it is because there's literally NOTHING ELSE to buy for the PS4. There's Assassin's Creed 4 and Call of Duty Ghosts, but both are cross-gen and both are coming to the Wii U also. Oh, and there's Battlefield 4, which is even worse than Killzone. FPS are not my choice game (I'm playing Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate- now THAT'S a game).

I mean, Knack looks like it COULD have been good, but the mechanics like jumping, running and attacking are off-kilter, it just doesn't seem right. I watched countless videos of gameplay to see what I thought of it, and it's just another failed attempt at imitating Nintendo really.

Other than that there's your typical dime a dozen launch titles, like Driveclub, Need For Speed, and a whole round of sports games.

Most exciting game for PS4 launch to me is Resogun, the PSN title. First retail game I'll even be remotely interested in buying for the PS4 is Infamous Second Son.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

And after all that bragging they did about the game too! Dang Ubisoft get it together! :O

Subie98

Subie98 said:

Im only disappointed because I was stoked to play it next month. Sucks to wait another six months.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Have it pre-ordered for PS4 but I have to say I'm very happy about this delay because frankly in more recent showings this game has seemed like complete trash. And when they're showing the PS4 version, the supposed premier version, and it seems like total garbage what does that mean for the other versions? Hopefully this delay really is to work on fixing the game though and not just a marketing decision to avoid having it compete with AC IV like I suspect.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@TheOneHacker

Did you see them playing the game on Fallon's show back in June? Unfortunately it needs more time, A LOT more time. Frankly I don't even know if six months is enough to save it.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I am surprised & disappointed by this, though I prefer that time is spent to improve the final product.

Araknie

Araknie said:

@unrandomsam Yes, that's what i do too. And i liked Zombi U. I couldn't finish it because it was very hard even on the easiest mode, but i liked it.
And i said a condition for it: for me the game has too many light effects popping out that should, instead, stand with the game graphics and now they don't they stand out too much and it's annoying for my eyes.
If they fix this and the motion blur you get when you run in the streets i might pick it up.
Might.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@Dreamcaster-X I think the ps4 line up is lacking most of the games will also be on other systems even the ps3 and a biggie for me no RPGs so no their isn't games for everyone ill probably get a ps4 after a year or so

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

I am okay with this. This game was definitely on my radar for WiiU but I have so much other stuff to play this fall. I am kind of happy since there's not a big, clear schedule for Spring games (Although Mario Kart is all you could need!). I do need to look into this game a little more, but I can't wait (Even though I clearly said I just could LOL)

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

was really looking forward to this game but oh well changing pre orders to get another game that i didnt think i was going to pre order on time so that way i can still save up for this game again i guess its not to bad

element187

element187 said:

Sounds like a solid business decision... I was eagerly awaiting it but I'll live another few months. Being a Nintendo gamer I'm used to being patient.

by making it a next gen launch title its only hurting its own sales... by delaying it by enough time for the xBone and PS4 to build a userbase, it will raise its chances of selling more copies..... thats if the xBone and PS4 sell a lot of units. In all seriousness, the new consoles could have an initial launch sell craze and then sales collapse at the first of the year. The Obama depression is still chugging along strong here in the states which will have a negative impact on new hardware sales.