Mighty No. 9 Confirmed for 3DS

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Wowza

Mighty No. 9, the project from Keiji Inafune's Comcept studio that, in the eyes of many fans, is a true follow-up to the iconic Mega Man franchise, has been a crowdfunding phenomenon. Despite having a target release of April 2015 gamers have been quick to rush and show support.

Having previously hit its Wii U stretch goal with relative ease, a bold target of $3.5 million was set for 3DS / Vita versions, which meant around $900,000 was needed in just four days. Amazingly, at the time of writing the project has passed $3.6 million with a few hours remaining, with its late surge bringing it comfortably past the handheld's target; as revealed previously, Abstraction Games will work on the portable version of the title.

It's certainly exciting news for those that look forward to playing this one while on the go. Which version are you most interested in eventually picking up, Wii U or 3DS?

[via kickstarter.com]

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Definitely getting it for the Wii U. If the 3DS version is a different game (and if I like the Wii U version), I'll get that too.

Expa0

Expa0 said:

Meh. Still don't care about Megaman games. Though I'm amazed how much money they collected for a mere basic 2d run & shoot game. I bet my donkey they will have A LOT left even after making the game.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

It will end up like government projects where they try to spend too much money too quickly and end up wasting loads of it.

TysonOfTime

TysonOfTime said:

Oh, the combined PayPal and Kickstarter money have earned the $3.8 Million goal as well. Wow.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

Wow, that is amazing. I wasn't expecting that at all. I think I'll probably be getting it on the Vita though, for that screen.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

Just threw $75 on KickStarter for the Physical Box/Manual & Golden Figure figure ect ect. It's a real shame that Mighty N.9 SUPRISINGLY for some insane reason won't be released until spring 2015...I mean seriously? This isn't Final Fantasy for crying out loud, it's a mega man clone with Modern visuals. :P The dev team is small i know, as it should be for the tightly knit full creative freedom....But i don't understand the crazy wait. Oct 2014 seems about right.

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

Well looks like the single player mode is complete, adding in a stage with female protagonist Call and an entirely remixed 16 bit soundtrack with effects to match. With two hours to go, if it manages to reach it's online battle mode stretch goal that'd be nice but I think at this point we're spoiled enough as it is. I can do without it but if it could make it than it'll be a nice consolation prize. Now's your chance to prepay for the gam,e by investing $20.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

So, today's news - Sonic in SSB4, and now THIS.

I'd say this has been quite the awesome day for Nintendo fans.

FX29

FX29 said:

Awesome! Couldn't be happier with this result, I'm very excited to play the spiritual successor to Mega Man!

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

This makes me happy but........2015??? Ouch!! Let's forget this happened for a long while!

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I love how they just announced the Retro Soundtrack stretch goal and it was met already.

I will most likely still get the Wii U version instead of the portable one.

SomeBitTripFan

SomeBitTripFan said:

Too bad it won't reach the last two stretch goals.

edit: It blasted through the online mode, but it didn't pass 4,000,000. Wonder what happened.

reedit: Looks like funds are still trickling in after it ended. About $300 per refresh.

SMEXIZELDAMAN

SMEXIZELDAMAN said:

People have a lot of money to waste :O
Wonder if we could start some sort of kickstarter to donate money for food, medicine, and education in the poorer parts of Africa...

Kaine_Morrison

Kaine_Morrison said:

PayPal: $186,380
KickStarter: $3,845,048

The KickStarter is actually still increasing!

aaaannnnnd it stopped... lol

TechnoEA

TechnoEA said:

Getting it for Vita, was going to get it for 3DS but I prefer the feeling of the Vita.

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

WOOHO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't back the game (need the funds for Pokemon X), but I'll get it on both the Wii U and 3DS!!!!!!!!

accc

accc said:

Abstraction Games is doing the 3DS port? What happened to Renegade Kid offering to do it? I've never even heard of Abstraction Games before now, and judging by their products page, Renegade Kid is far more qualified.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Great news. This is the version I was hoping for. Can't wait for it to come out now.

Kaabiitorori

Kaabiitorori said:

The Kickstarter has just ended: $4M have been funded on this project. It's amazing how much money they have managed to raise, and totally well deserved. Congratulations to Inafune-san and their team for achieving such an incredible goal. You have given us one of the biggest surprises of this year in terms of gaming. =)

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Wow! It's unbelievable how one man linked to one video game character manages to move that many poeple into supporting him!
This just comes to show how strong the MegaMan fanbase actually is!

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

Playing Mighty N.9 with a controller with handles should be a crime. Just for kicks, i tried playing Mega Man 9 with a dual shock controller and it felt beyond wrong, probably even more so with an XBOX pad. but with the wii remote sideways 'NES' style, i was in retro heaven. :* Classic controller felt pretty good too! Anyways, again....2015 seems ridiculous for an eShop title, let alone a modern day mega man clone. yeesh.

Anyways, getting both the Wii U & 3DS Version. I'm only getting it on the 3DS because of the 3D effect, but i won't be touching it until i'm finished with the main console course. ;)

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Wii U version for my free copy I get for supporting the game through Kickstarter. But I'm buying a 2nd copy for handhelds, just not sure whether to go 3DS or Vita. Guess I've got time to wait and see which looks best.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

Although im not as hyped as i should be (i guess "replacing" MegaMan when youve literally grown up with him is no simple feat as a fanatic of some sort) but these are really good news and im definitly getting both versions. It seems this little fella is really a mighty one :)

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

I'm surprised they made it this far. I'll definitely grab this for the 3DS.

@SMEXIZELDAMAN: Seriously? Don't be a buzzkill is right. You may feel it was a waste of money, but clearly everybody else on here disagrees with you. Nobody's forcing you to buy the game when it's released.

chucknorrmis

chucknorrmis said:

@KnightRider666 wow really? sorry to stay off topic but funding a game instead of those who actually need it for living IS a waste of money. It was kind of dumb for him to state the obvious and be a buzzkill but anyone who disagrees with him is just promoting the selfishness and evil in this world.

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

Hooray! I'll be getting both versions for sure. Mega Man is one of my all-time favorite franchises and I'm thrilled to support its spiritual successor. And, as an added perk, we get to show Capcom just how much we WANT a title like this. They've clearly given up on Mega Man having any new adventures for now and this title shows a LOT of promise. Way to go!

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

I'll probably just wait to get it on Wii U. I'm probably one of the few who isn't all-too excited for this game. Something about it seems more appropriate for Wii U than 3DS.

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

Well, all of the stretch goals were reached (yes, even the 4M one if you count paypal toal)

Still deciding which version to get. probably wii U

Peach64

Peach64 said:

@chucknorrmis @SMEXIZELDAMAN

As long as you consider buying games to be a waste of money, then that's fine. Games are a luxury item. This is no different to buying a game. Well, it's a little different as it works out cheaper.

Romeo

Romeo said:

idk if i should get it for the 3DS XL or Wii U

but there's still plenty of time to decide :)

faint

faint said:

@SMEXIZELDAMAN
We could but first we need to start a kick starter to go to war with the warlords who control the trade routes in Africa (the ones who would steal the food and meds you bought) and then another kickstarter to uproot their increasingly corrupt government.which arrests and kills people for being gay or lesbian. Then we should start a kickstarter to place a new and better governing body in power to help the people and divey up the food and meds we buy with the next kickstarter. Glad you realized the way to solve all problems is kickstarter. Let me know when you get it up and ill give ya 20 bucks.

belmont

belmont said:

Vita for me since you still can't buy 3ds games without credit or debut card here. Why it is so hard to release prepaid cards is beyond me.

I am not sure how kickstarter works but who can we be sure that the version we want will surely be released once the money target will be reached? Also can we be sure that the 3ds and Vita versions won't end up be bad ports of, let's say, the PS4 version?

GTWarrior77

GTWarrior77 said:

Wii U version for me. Looking forward to this one.
Might pick up the 3DS version if it's that good.

Warruz

Warruz said:

@belmont You could just get a generic pre load debit card. As for how you pick your version, you will be contacted once release is around the corner asking what code you would like.

gamr4life

gamr4life said:

3ds version for me first & once I get a Wii U I'll definitely get it for that too.

Shadowyugi

Shadowyugi said:

will have said "gonna buy it for 3ds" till I read that the target release date is in 2015... No offence, but wouldn't there be a new handheld by then? O_o

belmont

belmont said:

@Warruz Thanks for clearing this up about kickstarter.

I have a local debit card but it doesn't work with the Nintendo e-shop. I have not tried it with psn since I just get prepaid cards for my PSP/Vita/PS3. There is no way I will get a second card only to buy games, otherwise it would be useless to me.

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

@Shadowyugi why would Nintendo release another handheld in 2015 the 3DS is barely 2 and a half years old and is in the prime of its life, you will not see another handheld for quite some time. This isn't like apple where you get a new phone every 10 months

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

Well at least the vita will sell a couple of copies then.... (waits for abuse)...... 0:)

magicsnake

magicsnake said:

3DS version for me, I really hope they'll include the multiplayer mode unlike shovelknight...

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

@Jellitoe lol
One thing I don't understand with the vita is it gets more third party support than the Wii U but its sales are just as bad.
I have never even seen a vita out in the wild

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

At what point does Capcom look at the buzz for this game (and their own similar product Ducktales) and say, 'maybe there is a market for a new Megaman game?'

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

Gezz, this kickstarter has gone over more than i expected. Instead of me just getting a WiiU version I gonna have to choose between 3ds or WiiU. Thanks Guys.

c1pher_c0mplet

c1pher_c0mplet said:

Proud to have backed this project. Never backed a KickStarter project before (and probably never will again unless it's someone I respect like Inafune-san) but this is the best payback I can give Capcom for screwing me over when they nixed MML3 (not the only but one of the main reasons I got a 3DS when they first dropped). Respect to Keiji and his team: can't wait!

audiobrainiac

audiobrainiac said:

BOTH BOTH BOTH! If Capcom can't/won't give us what we want, screw 'em. As a true Mega Man fan this is everything i could have hoped for!

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

@chucknorrmis: Well let me cry the both of you a river, and I might as well build you both a bridge while I'm at it too. Seriously? The both of you are buzzkills now. You really think it was a waste? Why don't the both of you go get a complete list of all the people who donated to the Mighty No. 9 kickstarter and contact each person and see if they agree with you or tell you to go screw yourself. If my excitement and opinion that the game was worth the funding make me a bad person, then so be it. I guess all the rest of us who feel it was worth it are bad people too. The last time I checked, this was a gaming site. If you want to rant about how bad Africa needs money, go post somewhere else. We should be helping our own country not somebody else's. If you're looking for sympathy from me, you're barking up the wrong tree. As I told the other person, if you don't want to buy the game when it comes out, nobody's forcing you to. Take your hate for Mighty No. 9 someplace else!

feelthesarcasm

feelthesarcasm said:

I mean it's good but I don't know, I'm always nervous with these type of games being too short or being ports when it comes to the 3DS. Plus there's a good chance I won't even remember this game since it's not coming out till 2015 lol!

chucknorrmis

chucknorrmis said:

@KnightRider666 how misunderstood you are. First of all, I didn't say I hate the game; I helped fund it. Second of all, comcept, the dev company behind mighty no.9, is a Japanese company - it's not funding anything other than their company in Japan. If I asked any sane person whether or not it should be more important to fund a game or a third world country, then, well, you figure out the answer. I'm not hating on the game and I don't want your sympathy, I'm just defending the guy who is right but posting it in the wrong forum

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

Although it is very much Mega Man, I still hate calling it a shameless clone, since Inafune is the mind behind it. I really look forward to this!