Nintendo Download: 25th July (Europe)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Pikmin 3 at last, lots of retro, BASIC programming and more

It's another Monday morning, but it's also another Nintendo Download update for Europe. The star of this week's show is undoubtedly an eagerly anticipated Wii U retail release, but we also have a variety of titles — old and new — covering every Nintendo platform. Without further ado, let's get to it.

Wii U Retail Download

Pikmin 3 (Nintendo, €49.99 / £39.99) — After years of waiting since the GameCube era, the third entry in this franchise is finally arriving on the Wii U. With lush visuals and the usual super-cute minions, the single player campaign is joined by multiplayer content and a variety of control schemes to suit any player. With the GamePad opening up new possibilities and plenty of little Pikmin to control, you can expect to read our detailed Pikmin 3 review very soon. Available from 26th July.

Wii U Virtual Console

Kirby's Dream Land 3 (Nintendo, €7.99 / £5.49) — Kirby was a rather busy mascot back in the day, but this was the first time his Dream Land shenanigans moved onto the bigger screen, with the original two entries being on Game Boy. This one delivers buckets of charm, variety and fun, but perhaps doesn't match the excitement and gameplay of the pink ball's other major platformer on the 16-bit machine. This one does earn a recommendation, however, as you can see in our Wii U Virtual Console Kirby's Dream Land 3 review.

Wii U Temporary Offer

Buy three Wii U Panorama View tours (from View Birds in Flight, Carnival!, Double-Decker Tour, Rickshaw Around Kyoto) and get the fourth free — offer valid from 25th July to 8th August 2013.

3DS Virtual Console

Street Gangs (Arc System Works, €4.99 / £4.49) — Known as River City Ransom in North America, this attempts to blend basic beat 'em up action with some simple RPG elements, as you bash in faces while buying items to help you on your way. It's basic and linear, but also a lot of fun, while this 3DS version includes two-player multiplayer using Download Play; we'll take to the streets on 3DS, but until then you can read our Wii Virtual Console Street Gangs review.

3DS Retail Downloads

Super Black Bass 3D (Rising Star Games, €19.99 / £17.99)

I Love My Pets (Big Ben, €29.99 / £24.99)

DSiWare

Petit Computer (Gamebridge, 800 Nintendo Points) — After a good while in the Japanese and North American markets, this game programming software finally arrives in Europe. It may be surprising to think that it's possible to create your own BASIC games on a DSi, yet that's exactly what this download offers. With sharing options included, this is nevertheless there for those willing to put in real work; despite some interface issues this is a powerful tool, as our Petit Computer review explains. Also why not check out our interview with Smileboom to learn more about this innovative application?

Wii Virtual Console

Sengoku (D4 Enterprise, 900 Nintendo Points) — The Neo Geo makes its return to the Wii Virtual Console, this time bringing a side-scrolling brawler to the party. It's fairly standard beat 'em up fare, but with some weapons and transformations adding to the fun; it may be worth a look for genre fans, as explained in our Wii Virtual Console Sengoku review.

So that's your lot this week, we assume, unless Nintendo pulls any more shocks out of the hat. Let us know what you'll be downloading in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (206 votes)

Pikmin 3 (Wii U retail download)

34%

Kirby's Dream Land 3 (Wii U Virtual Console)

Wii U Panorama View Tours (Wii U eShop offer)

Street Gangs (3DS Virtual Console)

Super Black Bass 3D (3DS retail download)

I Love My Pets (3DS retail download)

Petit Computer (DSiWare)

11%

Sengoku (Wii Virtual Console)

Nothing for me this week

39%

Please login to vote in this poll.

edhe

edhe said:

Finally!

Petit Computer!

Also, I'd buy Pikmin, but the recent steam sales left me completely tapped out! Maybe another time...

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

Very sparse week for me apart from Pikmin 3, which I would get retail if I owned a Wii U.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

I was tempted by £40 Pikmin 3 but it's cheaper online and I will still be playing Earthbound for a month or so!

FineLerv

FineLerv said:

If there is no digital-download-super-happy-fun-special-offer-deal for Pikmin 3 + Wonderful 101 in Australia then I'll hold off getting Pikmin until I can clear out some of my Wii U backlog. If there is an offer then I'll get Pikmin and put it on my "to-do" list.

Also, I love a discount but... hmmm... Panorama View?

FineLerv

FineLerv said:

Also, has Neo Geo signed some kind of contract with Nintendo? Why are they still releasing Wii VC games every week? Lol.

Dyltheman

Dyltheman said:

finally, PIIIIIIIIKKKKKKKKKKKMMMMMMMMAAAAAAANNNNNNNN! THIS THE BEST DAY OF MY LIFE! Sorry bout that, my copy from amazon will arrive while im gone on vacation, lolz

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs said:

UK folks lucky to be able to download Pikmin this week (and Dream Team already too) I can't wait much longer! all in good time..

Hunter-D

Hunter-D said:

I will eventually download Petit Computer.

Pikmin 3 will be a physical purchase.

Other_DaveStaff

Other_Dave said:

I'd given up on ever seeing Petit Computer but wahaay it's finally here. I'll definitely grab that for [whatever 800 dsi points is in really money].

Snaskyman

Snaskyman said:

No downloads for me this week. I'm playing the oracle games on 3ds and there is plenty left to do. Getting the boxed version of Pikmin 3 on friday. FINALLY!!! I've been waiting for this game since pikmin 2 on Gamecube. Can't wait!!:-D

RetrogamerFan

RetrogamerFan said:

Petit Computer looks good - I remember playing about with Spectrum basic all those years ago so this should be good, and then Kirby 3, i will get both of them in the next week or two
But it's all about PIKMIN 3, which i'll be getting at retail on Friday.

mrkuribo

mrkuribo said:

50€ for Pikmin? Hah, I paid only 36€ for my copy :). Kirby is tempting but is there some kind of promotion for that if you already own the previous VC games?

ScorpionMG

ScorpionMG said:

nothing for me this week :( i wish i had money for pikmin 3... maybe ill get it later in the year.

FineLerv

FineLerv said:

@RetrogamerFan "Petit Computer looks good - I remember playing about with Spectrum basic all those years ago so this should be good"

Ah, the good old days! Input A$!

RetrogamerFan

RetrogamerFan said:

@FineLerv Hopefully i'll find it a bit easier this time around, never really acheived much with my Speccy except a lot of frustration when things didn't work.

wuuds

wuuds said:

Holy crap!!! petit computer!!!! so awesome! I thought this was never happening

SuperSah

SuperSah said:

Can someone explain Petit Computer to me? I really want to try it but I have zero programming knowledge.

Would it teach me? Any help please.

LeVideoGamer

LeVideoGamer said:

Finally, Dream Land 3. That'll bring the VC total to 18 games. :)

I sure would like the games that Japan have, like Super Mario Kart, Super Mario Bros. and Mega Man X. Maybe they could localize all of the Fire Emblem games for us, along with Panel de Pon.

ejamer

ejamer said:

@SuperSah
Petit Computer won't teach you anything directly. It is just a portable tool you can use without any built-in tutorials or step-by-step instructions (although it does give multiple examples where you can look at the code to see how they made games work, and a reasonably detailed reference guide). The learning aspect is something you need to do on your own by reading the in-game manual, looking for tutorials online, testing ideas to see what happens, and asking questions in the forums when you are stuck.

If you are willing to put in the time and effort, then Petit Computer can be very fun — just keep your expectations very modest if you don't already know a little bit about programming going in.

Shambo

Shambo said:

Pikmin 3 physical. It was decided right after finishing 2, which I got day 1 on Gamecube. I just wasn't expecting to have to wait over an entire generation...

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I was wondering if/when Petit Computer would ever turn up after seeing more replies to that Petit Computer code sharing thread in the forums just a couple of days ago. Glad it's here but I no nothing of programming so I don't think its for me, sadly. Plus I don't think I have the time to make games inbetween the ones I want to play :P Also, I'm going to get Pikmin 3 for my bday alongside The Wonderful 101 later in the year but it'll be interesting to see the NL review of it :D

russellohh

russellohh said:

I'll get the Panorama view videos. So much effort and care went into those, and I think like 5 people actually downloaded them. It's an amazing technology, and something Nintendo really should be rewarded for.

erv

erv said:

Ah, 49 euros is much better for a game in the eshop. With the premium codes in place that makes pikmin 3 essentially street price value. Also, considering the promotion for wonderful 101 (will double check at home if it's still in place) I am definitely downloading these releases.

Yep, they made the right moves here. Come along, friday :)

Windy

Windy said:

Looks like I still get to Boycott Nicalis games since Cave Story is not yet out in Europe. I cannot even believe It hasn't been ported yet. I have been boycotting Nicalis since we realized that Europe wasn't seeing a release of cave story. I only have 1 game to buy from them Ikachan But won't buy until We see a port. Just a dumb boycott I started But I will keep going with it. There was some news about a month and half ago that Europe was getting Cave Story but it's been quiet since

hydeks

hydeks said:

River City Ransom is known as Streets Gangs in Europe? Heh, weird, didn't know that :P

bahooney

bahooney said:

Wait. Two-player multiplayer? On an NES game? Released on the 3DS?! DID SOMEONE ACTUALLY PUT SOME EFFORT INTO A VIRTUAL CONSOLE RELEASE?! HAPPY DAY!! TuT

element187

element187 said:

I purchased my copy of Pikmin 3 already (download version from Gamestop on Saturday)

Reggie said i can download the game a day early(8/3). But the gamestop representative told me I obtain my download code on 8/2 and can begin downloading on the Friday before... I'll see who is right.

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

this morning i pre-ordered a retail copy of Pikmin 3 for "only" 37.99 euro so i will only be getting Petit Computer

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

@Windy haha that's very noble of you & they definitely deserve it! Personally I'm also doing a boycott of Nicalis, but mine will last forever :p They held back La-Mulana for 6 months+ (iirc) from releasing it on WiiWare when the game was completely finished & ready to go (the developer said so). & then they finally cancel it & how did the developer find out? Via twitter. So they left the developer high & dry but thankfully Enjoy-Up games released the game on WiiWare as soon as they could, within a month or two (iirc). Thus I have never & will never buy a Nicalis game, pretty stupid boycott but La-Mulana definitely deserved better, it's a great game :D

ikki5

ikki5 said:

@lebad

um... there is a retail version of Cave Story that is in full 3D with updated graphics.....

Hale-Bopp

Hale-Bopp said:

Europe finally gets Petit Computer! I was beginning to think it'd never happen. Can't wait to see what you guys create with it. :)

Funny_Moblin

Funny_Moblin said:

I have some questions regarding Petit Computer:

1. Do they sell this game in cartridges?

2. If it does not come in cartridge, is there still a way to back up the save data on your computer or in any other way?

3. Can you create 3D games on it? (such as Minecraft)

4. What exactly is QR code sharing?

ramstrong

ramstrong said:

@Funny_Moblin
1. Not that I know of. 2. You can save to an SD card. Currently, there's no way to read from the SD card.
3. If you don't mind EXTREMELY slow frame rate. :p It's good for 2D games, but good 3D is beyond its capabilities. Faceball is about as good as it gets, AFAIK.
4. You take the file on the SD card, and turn it into QR Code. That's how you read the file from the SD card. You can share the QR code anywhere you want. (If you want to share locally, you can just link directly)

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

@Boxmonkey
Likewise... and Gamecube titles wouldn't be amiss either!

Does anyone know if the Panorama includes purchases already made? I've got two already and if they do then I'd probably be interested in the other two currently available.

lebad

lebad said:

@ikki5 yes I know i have it (cave story 3D) but it's not the same game in 2D and 3D :) Nicalis said that it was in Nintendo Hands, American eshop has it but european doesn't -_-

Funny_Moblin

Funny_Moblin said:

If somebody scans a QR code of a game you made in Petit Computer, do you get credit, such as the name you chose to put on your file?

ramstrong

ramstrong said:

@Funny_Moblin
The person who scanned it will get the whole source code and depending on the packages also sprites, graphics, etc. If you put the credit in the source code, then sure you'll get credit. There is no guarantee that the person wouldn't erase it, though. :)

Poketendo

Poketendo said:

I've been waiting for Petit Computer for a very long time now, but now it's actually here, I have my doubts.
After reading the review, I'm not sure whether it's something for me anymore. basic programming? I've never programmed ever before! I'm gonna have to practice a lot first.

Poketendo

Poketendo said:

Okay, so I borrowed "Programming for Dummies" from my friend, and it's surprisingly helpful. I think I will pick Petit Computer up sometime in the future.