Rumour: Next Sonic Game Will Go Back To His Roots, Is Coming To Wii U And 3DS

Posted by Damien McFerran

Revisiting the classic 16-bit era?

It's pretty obvious that Sega is working on a new Sonic game — the company's mascot is a big draw capable of selling thousands of units. This year's offering is still under wraps, but details are continuing to leak onto the web.

According to a source cited on NeoGAF, the next Sonic game will be more akin to the 16-bit originals, with gameplay that involves Sonic and his sidekick, Tails.

The two characters will explore cityscapes and communicate with one another during the game. There will also be areas of each level which can only be accessed by a certain character. In addition to the heroic duo, Eggman, Knuckles, and Amy Rose will also make an appearance.

The game is apparently coming to the Wii U and 3DS, as well as the 360, PS3, PC and "next gen consoles" — which means PS4 and the next Xbox. According to the source, long-time Sonic collaborator Dimps will not be handling the 3DS version of the game.

Would you like to play a more traditional Sonic game, like the ones from the Genesis / Mega Drive era? How do these gameplay details sit with you personally? Let us know by posting a comment.

[via gonintendo.com]

Sjoerd

Sjoerd said:

I hope they'll only use the gameplay, we had some serious 8 and 16-bit saturation thanks to indies and Kickstarter. Give us something more Sonic 4 episode I or Generations! That would make me happy!

EarthboundBenjy

EarthboundBenjy said:

As much as I love the old games, I'm hoping for a bit more substance here. I loved Generations, but it was a quite short with only a nine levels (and five small missions for each level). On the other hand, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle had like a bajillion levels AS WELL AS five missions for each level, and it was awesomesauce amazing.

I don't like it when I hear news of Sega making an old-style Sonic game. Sonic 4 was just really weird. It looked weird, like all the environments were made of plastic or something, and it controlled really awkwardly to the point I just couldn't stand it. Just make something new and great and stop listening to the fans so much.

XD375

XD375 said:

This is completely wrong.

A few years ago, just after Unleashed came out, a guy named Wentos started posting info on a new Sonic game on 4chan. He was proven wrong and none of it came up again.

Wentos' existence has been a joke both within the Sonic fanbase and on 4chan. This leak came from a guy pretending to be Wentos, but he couldn't even get the name right and called himself Wintos. For whatever reason, one or two members on some Sonic forums thought Wentos was one of our legitimate sources, and now this is spreading like wildfire.

fchinaski

fchinaski said:

I love Sonic and all, but there are so many Sonic games featuring basically the same gameplay lately that I can't or don't really want to keep up. Too many good games that don't rely so heavily on the nostalgia factor to play instead.

fluggy

fluggy said:

Please .... No more sonic. Did like Sonic 1+2 when I was 12 but they haven't aged well and I think, looking back now, they were pretty much overrated. I could still play Mario World which is timeless but Sonic hasn't aged quite so gracefully!! bores me after playing it for 5 mins!!!

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

It'd be cool if they call it "Sonic Genesis"
@XD375 Thanks for the info. I'm somewhat disappointed to see this is false, yet I'm sure SEGA has something even greater to show at E3.

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

Didn't Sega do this with Sonic 4? Sonic 4 was disappointing IMO. Anyways, Sega really needs to make a good Sonic game. Sonic Generations and Transformed were pretty good so keep at Sega.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

How often can you "get back to your roots" ? We had Sonic 4 to do that, Parts of Generations did it...to go even further back to your roots, the game needs to emulate MegaMan 9/10 and use 16bit graphics, sound and physics.

GazPlant

GazPlant said:

Sounds fake to me. I'd much rather a Generations style game than another train-wreck Sonic 4...

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Just before too many people get excited about this new Sonic title, I just want to remind you all about a little something.

Untitled

You can all say your welcome now.

nik1470

nik1470 said:

Didn't really enjoy Sonic 4 and to be honest I haven't enjoyed a sonic game since the megadrive era. So think I'll give this a miss no mater what!

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

I liked Sonic 4, but it is what it is, a cheap game. A new AAA Sonic, with as many levels as Sonic CD, 2 or 3, with Generations graphics and a way to combine the few fun gameplay elements of modern Sonic in Generations and the great gameplay of traditional Sonic games.

mch

mch said:

I don't know why, but sonic has never really interested me.
I'll stay tuned though.

Intrepid

Intrepid said:

I can't tell you how many times I read that "The next Sonic game is returning to is roots!". I can't even take it seriously after awhile.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

They've already tried returning Sonic back to his roots a couple times.

I still hope it's Sonic Adventure 3.

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

Generations and Episode 4 Sonic games have been the best since on the Megadrive.
Although going back to roots I hope its another Sonic game like Generations

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

Personally, I'd rather have a new 3D Sonic game. But this sounds fine, but also a but farfetched.

Sekuiya

Sekuiya said:

I hope they do another from the Rush series, or at least a sequel do the Advance series. Best Sonics in the last decades!
Of course, having in mind the release on the home consoles, I fear a port is inbound for the 3DS... :

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

Good or bad, I always seem to end up buying Sonic's 'new' game, I even went and downloaded Sonic Adventure on PSN.
I grew up as a SEGA fan with the Master System and Megadrive, of recent Sonic games I found the 3DS version of Generations and Sonic 4 Episode 2 were the ones most enjoyed playing.

Pod

Pod said:

Haven't they been saying about Sonic that he was "going back to his roots" for the past three games?

Banker-Style

Banker-Style said:

Since 2010 Sonic games have certainly been getting better.What ever the new Sonic game is I'll be looking forward to it,

Vallu

Vallu said:

The "new" games are always trying to be like the "old" ones. Why? Why not just make good and NEW 3D games? What's the point of being "old"?

sonicfan1373

sonicfan1373 said:

Isn't every Sonic title (aside from Sonic 06, and Shadow the Hedgehog) that comes out labelled "Sonic going back to his roots"? I am excited but I hope they try new things like with Sonic Colors as opposed to rehashing like Sonic 4.

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

hmm..good to hear news about this game finally. Personally, I'm more of a Sonic Adventure 2 style guy, but this of course could be good. I doubt it, but I'd like to see chao back.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

"SAAAAY-GUUUUH!!!" :-p

Sonic 4 was a good game. I'd like to see Sonic stay 2D for a while.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

SEGA just needs to tell me when its available, and they have a sale from me, assuming its not Sonic '06 all over again.

HawkeyeWii

HawkeyeWii said:

Awesomesauce!! Can't wait!!
Don't let us down SEGA; give us a real quality, blow your mind game!

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

People really still believe that Sonic Cycle garbage? You might want to actually play Colors or Generations. They're pretty great.

hydeks

hydeks said:

ehh, leave to 16-bit Sonic era games to Sonic the Hedgehog 4, I want something more like Sonic Colors and older Sonic from Sonic Generations.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I haven't played any of the modern Sonic games but I really want to play both Sonic Colors and Generations. They seem pretty fantastic.

SuperKMx

SuperKMx said:

As long as it controls better than the diabolically bad Sonic 4, I'll be happy. Generations was fantastic - so more of that, please.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

I like Sonic 4 but that game was never fully complete so it's kinda disappointed to me. I hope they just make a new Sonic game using the same gameplay mechanic as in Sonic Generation where in one aspect you're playing the level in 2D but another you're playing in 3D, no on-rail foot sprinting.

C7_

C7_ said:

Back to it's roots?
You've found a modern Sonic that works Sega, and have an episodic 2D platformer series. Make Sonic 4 Episode III similar to Episode II but without the stupid parts and we won't need a stupid "Back to its roots" campaign. Stop pretending that saying that is helping your case and actually improve on your current model.

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

and i just read yesterday or the day before that it was suppose to be like sonic adventures and now its this :P the hell is going on here lol

Luigifan141

Luigifan141 said:

From everything that we have heard about this upcoming Sonic game, it sounds like it will be mostly a 2D Sonic game with some things taken from the Sonic Adventure games, such as multiple characters and city based levels. In other words, a Sonic Adventure game with 2D gameplay. Maybe this could finally turn out to be Sonic Adventure 3!

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

The 3D Sonic games after Sonic Adventure 2 (and to an extent, Sonic Heroes) weren't donkey because they were in 3D, it was because they had faults on multiple levels of design. Horrible camera that refused to show you what you wanted and needed to see (where as Sonic Adventure just let you freely control the camera), boring game play, bad story, poor controls. It's hard to understand how you can screw it up so hard when Adventure 2 was fine and be completely deaf to all the complaints.

hms

hms said:

Funny how both fan sites "forgot" to mention wich engine treatment each port is rumoured to get.

Wilford111

Wilford111 said:

It's sad that people are treating the news about Dimps with positivity. I remember when they designed the Sonic Advance series, and those games were my all time favorite Sonic series. Too bad they went way downhill with the Rush series and the 3DS version of Generations.

shinobi88

shinobi88 said:

I freakin HOPE so. I think the % of people who would prefer a straight up Genesis sequel to a new 3D Sonic game is about 95% to 3.5%. Some people would vote for "other".

The ONLY way a 3D Sonic game will ever be good is if they clone the rotating 3D spherical planes gameplay of Mario Galaxy

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

Sonic has literally "returned to his roots" in some form or another in his last four or five games. I think they're just using it as a marketing gimmick at this point.

Hejiru

Hejiru said:

This is like the tenth time they've said Sonic is going "back to his roots."

Linkstrikesback

Linkstrikesback said:

Congratulations on reporting a story that was already reported as false several hours before you posted it Nintendolife.

I do always appreciate you following your story sources properly =_=

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

Hmmm... Sonic and Tails... 16-bit type... Sounds like Sonic 4 Episode 3 more than anything. But I've always liked the idea of a huge city to explore as Sonic. I'm talking something like the Spider-Man games or Saints Row though - considerably bigger and more exploratory than Sonic Adventure, Sonic '06, or Sonic Unleashed.

Skeet102

Skeet102 said:

c'mon sega. time to break the losing streak. that might help capcom do it too with megaman

Dyltheman

Dyltheman said:

@XCWarrior this happened with unleashed, colors, and generations, all of which were well recieved. although this cycle did occur with 06 and the black knight

Dyltheman

Dyltheman said:

I look forward to this game! It sounds like a great one! only thing is this article doesn't really give a lot of information, id suggest go to the Sonic Adventure 3 Facebook page to find out about this, which i hear is called "

EvisceratorX

EvisceratorX said:

I'm actually excited for this. It seems like Sega has finally figured out how to make a good sonic game. The last few were great!

platformer

platformer said:

@DarkKirby Couldn't agree more! Nothing wrong whatsoever with 3D Sonic per se...loved Adventure 2 myself. And if by going back to roots means more gameplay like Sonic 4, then no thank you. That game single-handedly ruined my childhood.

devilwaffle

devilwaffle said:

I don't think the game's description looks like my kind of game. Getting some things from Adventures is cool, since the adventure games are my favorites, but if Knuckles has a boost meter, and there is no chao garden, then it wont match up in quality for me.

UpdateNightmare

UpdateNightmare said:

Sonic Generations was pretty good, just badly structured and short. Just when you get into game, you are stuck trying to figure out what next, is game over?

Should just go back to start -> finish with story and decent platforming.

cgh

cgh said:

im sorry i don't understand what the sonic cycle is? ps this better be sa3.

CrabGats

CrabGats said:

uhh didn't this already happen LAST TIME? and the last time? and the last time?

But, I mean, Unleashed, Colors, and Generations were sexy. <3

cgh

cgh said:

hey, does anybody else think there should be shadow the hedgehog 2?

WinterWarm

WinterWarm said:

Listen up, chumps, Sonic was at his finest in the Sega era, DON'T TRY TO DISPUTE IT! I'm sick of horrible voice-acting, and crap level design, Sonic 2D... IN 3D! Would be boss. Come on, admit it, Sonic hasn't been the same since the early 90's. :P

BlackVault

BlackVault said:

This freelance guy is a moron because they already said Classic Sonic was only back for Sonic Generations and no sonic title after it...
Get use to it Classic Sonic isn't returning

Silverbullet89

Silverbullet89 said:

I say sell Sonic to Nintendo, I know it won't happen but a guy can dream, and let them reboot the franchise with a "New Super Mario Brothers" type feel to it. Seems like Sega can't do anything Sonic right.

Xbuster

Xbuster said:

I don't see why people are still stuck on the past bad sonic games. They happened a LONG time ago. Ever since Sonic Unleashed came out, the games have been getting better. I also wish people would stop comparing Sonic to Mario. They are two completely different platform games. Mario is based on platforming only. However, Sonic is based on speed AND platforming so his games have to balance the 2 or it would just be another Mario game. Mario's levels are simple, short and to the point, Sonic has much deeper level design and you can play them using various routes which makes it seem as if there are 3-4 levels in one massive level. You could fit about 5 Mario levels in one Sonic level.

Sonic has returned to his classic form even in sonic generations, SEGA doesn't have to prove that to anyone anymore. Basically what I'm saying is that SEGA has learned their lesson from past mistakes and I doubt that there will be any bad sonic games especially after Colors, Generations, and the Sonic 4 series. However, I agree that Dimps has gotten a little lazy with some design, they did indeed develop the Sonic Advance series which followed the classic formula perfectly. Sonic Advance 1 was based on Platforming, Sonic Advance 2 was based on speed, and Sonic Advance 3 perfected it with speed, platforming, Nostalgia, Adventure, and Sonic 2-like special stages.

I also have another complaint, if you really don't like sonic, why are you posting it? We don't care whether or not you really cared for him, be optimistic and have some faith in the series. Even after sonic 2006 and everybody's pessimistic comments about the series saying that the series was dead, Sonic backfired and made everybody who lost faith in him look stupid. A series as popular as this can't die in just a few horrible games. Those games are Shadow the hedgehog, Sonic 2006, The secret rings, and the dark knight. However, 3/4 of those games are spin offs. The only bad mainstream sonic game was 2006.

Sonic 4 WAS NOT a bad game. The physics may be flawed, but they made the game fun and addictive if you're a speed runner. The music was catchy, but it was too short and could be obnoxious if in a level too long, but they are still very likeable. The stages look just like a 2.5D sonic game should. It reminds me of a New super Mario Bros. game (Which also looked like plastic). Honestly, I believe Mario fans can be really hypocritical because when sonic does something, they always try to bash it because its not Mario. Not all Sonic games are going to play like the classics, otherwise I wouldn't be as interested in Sonic. Change is good and I love to see the series evolve rather than staying in the same place.

The same goes for Mega Man, if the X series and above hadn't been introduced, I would never have been as interested in it as I am today. In all respect, Mario's games can get old and they mostly play the same, but they add a few new things to keep it fresh. All in all, its the same stuff (Princess gets kidnapped somehow, Mario goes on an adventure, they defeat Bowser, and the cycle repeats again). I have played Nearly every Mario and sonic game in existence, so I am really good when it comes to comparing the two. I am NOT biased, and I do NOT bash.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing this--if its true that is. I believe it because of the same guy giving us sneak peek info in the past. Unless SEGA says otherwise, I'm putting faith in this.