Did Sumo Digital Just Tease A Sonic Racing And Mario Kart Crossover?

Posted by Damien McFerran

"I'm thinking we could finally settle some arguments"

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is one of our favourite Wii U titles here at Nintendo Life, and still gets rolled out for regular multiplayer sessions. Ant always cries when he can't be Amy.

UK-based Sumo Digital did an amazing job of creating a real rival for Nintendo's Mario Kart series, but it appears the developer wants to settle the score once and for all — who is better behind the wheel, Mario or Sonic?

Check out this tweet from Sumo Digital Executive Producer Steve Lycett:

What could he possibly mean? Did he just tease some kind of crossover game, like Sega's Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games series? Or could Sumo be involved with the production of the upcoming Wii U Mario Kart? Share your own thoughts by posting a comment below.

grenworthshero

grenworthshero said:

I'd much rather see a Nintendo Kart. We have SSB, why not Super Crash Bros.? Except that sounds like Crash Bandicoot...which would also be an awesome crossover...

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I'd like to see a Nintendo Kart too. I'm guessing at this point the brand name is too strong for them to stop making Mario Kart though. Heck, for all the Mario brand sports games they should just use everyone. It's not like they have to hold the characters back for Zelda Golf or Metroid Tennis.

rastamadeus

rastamadeus said:

@grenworthshero Nothing involving that grinning orange tit has ever been better than dire. Keep him the hell away from any game ever made by Nintendo. Or by anyone.

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

@Peach64 Zelda Golf would be awesome. Golfing in Hyrule :)

And I think that this will be Mario in a Sonic Kart game, not the other way around.

evanescent_hero

evanescent_hero said:

@Best_
Well, SEGA confirmed the next three Sonic games will be Nintendo exclusive, so perhaps this is the beginning of a bigger partnership. SEGA returning to the console scene in a joint venture with Nintendo? Perhaps gaming's oldest rivals will merge into one company?

rastamadeus

rastamadeus said:

@grenworthshero You and I clearly have a different definition of "fun." Generic, bland, poorly-designed games involving a grinning orange clown who you want to smack in the face isn't fun to me. He's not been in a single good game so really can't understand why you'd want him in Smash, especially when you yourself only seemed to like one game of his.

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

@evanescent_hero
So, Nintega? ;)

Seriously though, it would be cool to see Sonic in Mario Kart, as long as it doesn't turn into a half Sonic-half Mario roster. Having him in SSBB was cool, but not every Sonic character needs to appear. He'll certainly fit in a lot better than the Miis ever did!

akabenjy

akabenjy said:

I think they should make a Mario & Sonic Kart Racing and Sakurai should make a Smash Racing game based on Kirby's Air Ride.

MAN1AC

MAN1AC said:

I'd rather see them be creative instead of making Mario Kart knock-offs. Just throw Sonic in Mario Kart U and call it a day.

Highwinter

Highwinter said:

We've been expecting DLC for Sonic All Stars Racing for a while, I'd guess this is it. Although if it does happen, Sonic is a shoe-in for the new Mario Kart as well. I'm definitely thinking guest characters, over full blown cross over though.

Trikeboy

Trikeboy said:

Nintendo Kart (Super Racing Bros etc) has to happen. They are stringing the bottom of the barrel for new characters in the new games. Wiggler and Honey Queen were selectable characters in Mario Kart 7. Just put Link, Samus, Yoshi, Sonic and the gang in one big race off game.

jibberldd5

jibberldd5 said:

Can't Nintendo just put a racing minigame/mode in SSB4 instead of making a whole new game?

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I did wonder how Mario Kart U will top Sonic Racing Transformed though I definitely would prefer if Sumo Digital weren't working on Mario Kart & he's only teasing that some Sonic characters are coming to MK U. No offence to Sumo Digital, I absolutely love Sonic Racing Transformed but the game has been just too buggy for me to trust Mario Kart to Sumo Digital. We'll just have to wait & see I guess.

P.S. I also don't understand the Crash Bandicoot hate, I think he's funny & his games are fun. Oh well.

dizzy_boy

dizzy_boy said:

considering that Namco had some of there charecters in Mario Kart gp in the arcades, maybe that's the way to go for sega and nintendo with this kind of cross over.

Smitherenez

Smitherenez said:

If both of the teams work together to create Mario & Sonic Allstars Racing, it would be great! Transformed is surely the better game, although it has a bit less polish.

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

Why not. Sonic & All Stars Racing is better than any Mario Kart to date. But CTR is still the king of this genre.

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

In any case I'd have them keep Mario Kart as a karting game. Sonic racer was quite good, but the vehicles felt somewhat heavy, which would change the Mario Kart formula too much if applied on that game.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

That'd be awesome. SART was better than both Mario Kart 7 and Wii, it also takes more skill since it doesn't use the dreadful rubber-band AI. I wouldn't mind Sonic characters in Mario Kart or vice versa.

Hunter-D

Hunter-D said:

I don't want to see a Nintendo Kart, well, not in the short term at least. Do you think it would take some of the magic from the SSB. series if that happens?

Anyway I would love to see Mario|Sonic Kart. Perhaps we'll find out at E3 or the Nintendo Direct prior to main event.

Grackler

Grackler said:

I think Nintendo have Sumo to thank for the viability of this SEGA-Ninty cross-over deal.
In SAASR:T, they made a game that really used the Wii U (looked nicer, handled great, 5-player and off-screen play), and by all accounts they got some stunning sales as a result. Despite the massive gulf in userbase, they managed to sell as many on Wii U (it was a little over quarter of a million on all home formats at one point, I recall an article saying) as on the other 2 consoles, which had a much larger install base. I would guess the 3DS one trounced the Vita version too.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I reckon if I was at SEGA, those figure combined with the mass exodus of Western devs would lead me to seeing major untapped potential in the Wii U audience going forward, especially with Ninty helping to push the product! Who knows what they might do together next?

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

Sonic Racing Transformed is not as good as Mario Kart Wii. It's not a terrible racer but MKW feels like F-Zero compared to Sonic since I went back to it.

Don't let Sega make Mario Kart, just put a gun to their head and make them follow up F-Zero

Jollykarp

Jollykarp said:

If SUMO made the next Mario Kart... that would be beyond amazing! Transformed proved that they're more than worthy of making an incredible kart racing game which respects the history of its mascots.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

I wish Nintendo were this chummy with Western Developers as well. Hopefully Iwata's new position is going to help bring in the partnerships.

Datasun_7

Datasun_7 said:

That would be awesome. Transformed was such a good console kart racer, better than mk Wii IMHO. The way he hinted at it was pretty amazing

zoroarkrules25

zoroarkrules25 said:

Yes! Make it happen, it would be awesome. This thought came to me the other day when thinking of better mario and sonic crossovers.

Linkmaster9

Linkmaster9 said:

@MarioPartyFan999 Nintega? Hmm... I like the sound of that. Imagine having sonic in mario kart or nintendo reviving old sega franchises like golden axe, nights or maybe even alex kid.

Maskeraid

Maskeraid said:

And here's the part where nintendo performs endocytosis on SEGA. :P
But yay, it warms my heart to see that such a solid friendship has been born between the two companies, like something from a story~ :*

rmeyer

rmeyer said:

That definately wouldn't happen. Nintendo makes too much money on Mario Kart to add Sonic to it and risk defiling it

Yoshi3DS

Yoshi3DS said:

@rmeyer i agree, i don't think i'd enjoy a mariokart with sonic in it anyway, although a nintendo racing game with every famous nintendo character does sound interesting

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

This could allude to either Sonic being playable in Mario Kart U or Mario being a DLC character in Sonic All-Stars Racing.

I wouldn't mind Sonic being in Mario Kart U considering Pac-Man was in Mario Kart Arcade GP 1 and 2, so there have been Mario Kart cross-overs before. But Mario was also considered to be in the first Sonic Racing game as well, so I guess we'll just wait and see what happens.

Spuratis

Spuratis said:

Not really fond on the idea of any non-Mario characters in Mario Kart, but I'm glad Nintendo and Sega are getting along. Brings hope to further exclusive IP's, maybe of older games. I want a new Shenmue, Shining Force, Seaman, Panzer Dragoon, and why not reboot the Beyond Oasis series... am I the only one who liked those games..?

HeatBombastic

HeatBombastic said:

Don't get your hopes up too high, he was drinking while saying this.

Then again, isn't that where all great ideas come from?

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

i rly hope not unless its like a seperate game on its own <.< leave that to ssbb games

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

@grenworthshero same here, I spent many an hour playing CTR before I got a Nintendo Wii and could play some Mario Kart Wii & Double Dash.
A crossover with Mario Kart, Sonic Racing & CTR would be awesome.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

Mario and Sonic racing each other... That would be pretty sweet. They could probably just use the Olympic games' 20 character roster as a starter, and then buff it out with a few more (like say, the rivals in the Olympic games that you can't play as).

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I wouldn't really mind either way if any cross-over characters were implemented into the next Mario Kart. I'd probably still use the Nintendo characters most of the time regardless.

armoredghor

armoredghor said:

I like this better than Mario kart. I kinda hope they don't do a crossover just they don't change the balanced. Sonic & All-Stars is much less items based

Varia01

Varia01 said:

I would highly anticipate a game like that. A combination of two awesome racing games is an excellent idea.

evanescent_hero

evanescent_hero said:

@MarioPartyFan999
Heh, they'd probably go the Square Enix route and call themselves Nintendo SEGA or something. Don't wanna risk brand confusion.

I would love to see Sonic in MKU. I've always thought he should be in (but run, not drive). I'd also love to see Nintendo Kart, with the big Nintendo characters racing instead of fighting. Link on Epona or a Loftwing, Samus in her ship, Captain Falcon in the Blue Falcon...yes please!

Either way, I'm down for a crossover, as long as it plays more like Mario Kart. (I seem to be one of the few who actually LIKED MKWii and MK7, and both of them more than S&ASRT.)

grimbldoo

grimbldoo said:

As long as Nintendo makes it themselves. I don't know if it was just the demo, but the Sonic Racing was buggy and had terrible handling. That and it felt like a complete ripoff of every racing game that Nintendo has ever made.

Gameday

Gameday said:

What happen to Diddy Kong Racing ? They basically did all the same things Sonic Racing & Mario Kart did. Why was this game or characters not brought into the light.

shinpichu

shinpichu said:

I would be cool with a crossover, but there had better be more than just Mario characters.

Haywired

Haywired said:

As someone who generally isn't a fan of crossovers (probably too much of a purist I admit), I don't want to see Sonic shoved into Mario games and I don't want to see Mario shoved into Sonic games. They have no place in each others' universes.

Plus surely any Mario vs Sonic novelty died in the 90s. And also, Sonic as a character was created by SEGA to destroy Nintendo. This sort of cosying up makes my early-90s-Nintendo-fan-self feel queasy...

Andremario

Andremario said:

If they could get the bugs out of sart maybe a nintega kart racing game could work on a crossover. Keep your fingers crossed and mind open people! I for one would love a crossover...old rivals teaming up for the greater good to kick dirt in Microsoft and sony's eyes? CLASSIC!

Henmii

Henmii said:

It's probably to early for a Sonic and Sega allstars racing 3, but we'll see!!