New Wii U Virtual Console Titles Confirmed By Nintendo UK

Posted by Damien McFerran

Zelda: LttP, Super Mario Bros. and Street Fighter II all incoming

Nintendo UK has released a trailer which shows forthcoming Wii U Virtual Console releases, hinting that we can expect some more retro goodness very soon.

The service launched last week in Europe, and has so far been graced with a pretty meagre selection of titles. The new trailer shows some of those games, but also gives screen-time to the likes of Mega Man, Xevious, Balloon Fight (which is already available in North America), Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Super Mario Bros., Street Fighter II and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

Hopefully this means these games are coming very soon — which are you most excited for?

Which forthcoming Wii U Virtual Console game excites you the most? (299 votes)

Mega Man (NES)

Xevious (NES)

Balloon Fight (NES)

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (SNES)

Super Mario Bros. (NES)

Street Fighter II (SNES)

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)

70%

I'm not interested in any of these titles

11%

Please login to vote in this poll.

[via youtube.com]

AG_Systems

AG_Systems said:

Will cross everything in hope of US 60hz versions for all ROMs. Hyped for Super GnG!

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts will be amazing to play on the GamePad, so long as it's 60hz (which I am confident it will be!) as @AG_Systems says :)

TroyAikman

TroyAikman said:

As an aside, that Zelda art is really cool looking. If they made a game wherein the art direction was inspired by the old Link to the Past style concept art, I would be in heaven.

Edit: I guess I wasn't being clear. I'm referring more to a game takes this artwork and brings it to life. Not a revisit of a game that was based on this art. It would be a straight-2D game, more in line with the Adventure of Link than Link to the Past. @Kirk agrees with me.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Its hilarious that they add restore points to every game like Balloon Fight and then pretend that having a high score means anything anymore.

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

Will be cool to complete Zelda link to the past before the new one comes out. Also street fighter will get some replay time

DlSPOSABLEHERO

DlSPOSABLEHERO said:

I already bought World Warrior, Turbo and Super Street Fighter ll on the Wii VC. Please just bypass drip feeding them and give us Super Street Fighter ll from the start, I know I'll crumble and re-purchase them all again for the £1.49 upgrade if you don't.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

I already own all of these in their original cart form, but I can't deny the allure of playing them all on the Wii U Gamepad...

lazyinsu

lazyinsu said:

@Geonjaha You'll be amazed how many are still obsessed on getting the highest scores. Especially since people can take snapshots and upload them to miiverse on the Wii U. iOS Game Center is another place where people obsess over high scores.

Drewroxsox

Drewroxsox said:

They should release A link to the past on the 3ds eshop. I would buy it in a heart beat, because I really want to play it before I get the sequel.

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

Not interested in any of these I'm afraid. It's going to be a long while until they re-release any games I actually want (Super Mario World is the only one I've re-purchased), especially with only 2 releases a week. And even longer before a NEW VC game comes out. :(

Kirk

Kirk said:

Off topic but I wish they'd make a Zelda game that actually looked exactly like that art at the top of the article. Now that would look awesome.

Swithom

Swithom said:

I wonder... possibly, could Balloon Fight delay be them prepping a 60hz update? ... Fat chance I suspect but there has to be a reason it isn't already back on sale

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

We need NEW OLD games Nintendo! NEW OLD ones! Stop giving us the same games we got on Wii!

FineLerv

FineLerv said:

@lazyinsu I think he meant that the credibility of high scores have lost all meaning with the introduction of Save States.

RetrogamerFan

RetrogamerFan said:

Xevious (NES) would probably be a little dissapointing after playing the excellent 3DClassics version.
I already have VC copies of Mega Man (3DS), Balloon Fight (Wii U & 3DS) and Super Mario Bros (3DS (and several non-VC versions too))
Not interested in Street Fighter II.
So that leaves A Link to the Past (will get, even though i have the original SNES cart) and Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts (never tried this before depite being a big fan of the Megadrive version)

gojiguy

gojiguy said:

I already own all these... on my Wii... Would love to see something new, Nintendo. Keep em coming faster than this.

FineLerv

FineLerv said:

@-KwB- Totally. I no longer have the patience for NES games and Saves States will mean that I can finally beat Mario's original Super adventure.

readyletsgo

readyletsgo said:

God Nintendo, please stop with the NES games! They may be great but not worth it. They are now android/iOS games, I would pay €2 max for them now. €5 for SNES games, they should not be €8/9 (£5? I dont understand that conversion rate at all)

Bring on the best SNES games now, put between 5 and 10 games up on the WiiU VC every week, have them there for us to buy them now, please dont drip them out one a week. Get the N64 games up fast, get the GBA (why?) up now, get the Gamecube games up now!!!!

Why are they so slow? there are only 100 VC games up on the Wii VC in Europe, over 8 years? What a joke! Compare Nintys VC to Sonys back cat, may not be as many games but they get them up faster.

Can anyone tell me why they are so slow?
Get the bloody games out there, I wanna spend my money!

/frustration

Pikachupwnage

Pikachupwnage said:

Nintendo needs to have a way to transfer a single game to a Wii U because I have. Just a couple VC titles to transfer(link to the past and super mario world....the rest won't be playable fo quite some time on Wii U(N64 and due to me having no classic controller not on Wii mode either)

Xilef

Xilef said:

Street Fighter II! Might get ALttP as well, never got far on the Wii. And Super Metroid of course.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

I will upgrade Super Mario Bros and buy Lttp and Super GnG. I'll wait for SSF2 and I think Megaman will have to be discounted for me to buy it. Restore points and gamepad play definitely make these worthwhile. I never completed half the games back in the day so it will be nice to use quick saves.

I don't think the price is too high but the £ to € conversion is horrible on the eurozone and some of the games should never be bought full price. It's annoying that they are drip feeding us but they'd never convince us to buy half of the NES games otherwise.

korobeinikii

korobeinikii said:

In the background at 1:36 into the video, you can also see Pac-Man, Solomon's Key, Street Fighter II' Turbo: Hyper Fighting (As shown by playable Sagat and the brown tree on Blanka's stage), Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers (as shown by Cammy being played). Maybe an addendum to the news post?

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

Why are they releasing the base version of Street Fighter II instead of one of the superior later versions (preferably Turbo)? Seems a bit pointless to be to be honest...

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

The fact they finally sorted out 60Hz after all this time is good, but as I'm not likely to buy a Wii U in the near future, its a shame they can’t update the games on the old Wii VC to 60Hz too...

CliffordB

CliffordB said:

I'm a long time Nintendo fan, but all I can say once again to these games is a very big MEH!

No way am I going to buy all these games again just so I can play them on the gamepad.

Just give us some N64 games that we never had on the Wii like for example DK64, and come on Nintendo, these NES/SNES games are/were good but they are so old now, get GameCube games on the VC NOW!

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

Zelda - Yes.

No to the others, unless they offer the 60hz version of Balloon Fight instead, and offer it as a free upgrade to all of us who've already paid 30p for the crappy 50hz version.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

yeah i think we need different VC i would like to see yoshi's island on there something different then what they had on wii

mch

mch said:

so good ones coming. Now N64 and GC please, please with sugar on top

mch

mch said:

so good ones coming. Now N64 and GC please, please with sugar on top

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

I seriously just got to Ganon's Tower on a Wii VC play through of Zelda : ALTTP because I thought we were going to have to wait like 3 years for it to come out on the Wii U VC and it looks like there could be a chance of it coming to the US now...this sucks...this is why save data should transfer.

HeatBombastic

HeatBombastic said:

@readyletsgo They're slow because they have to spread out the releases so that it'll keep virtual console alive. If they released everything at once, it would be like the Wii vc: Complete madness.

andreoni79

andreoni79 said:

@AbeVigoda "I love playing 25 year old games on a brand new $350 system!!"
But now you can finally play them in your bed, just like we can already do with our 3ds!!! The future is here!!!

readyletsgo

readyletsgo said:

@HeatBombastic Nah, I dont think so, they have 100's of thousands of games, I understand they have to get rights from publishers for 3rd party games and that takes time (8 years now), but one or two a week is a joke.

A mix of between 5 and 10 games from NES/SNES/N64/GCN should be the min.
Of course if they released them all in one go, people would only buy a few and never look again.
But I guarantee you, they will release a couple each week, then turn to each month, then every other month then before you know it by 2015/16 Ninty will forget about the WiiU VC, again.

Just my opinion but i feel they can do a HELL of a lot better on the VC front.

Selene

Selene said:

Like many of us, I really hope for the day 3ds can play all my favorite snes games. I'm not interested in a wii u, cuz I want my games wherever I go, and $350 for the system alone is far too expensive.

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

How many years it will take to have the same 405 games that are already available in the Wii? I hope they relauch all games that Wii already quit of the service like R-Type.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Well think I will pass on Mega Man since I have that on the 3DS but ALttP certainly has caught my eye. I hope they dont have the same problems the Wii VC had with that game. For some reason the sound when I play ALttP goes out and its only the sound effects that does it.

element187

element187 said:

@readyletsgo You know if it was Sony responding to your complaint that their old games cost too much, they would tell you to get a second job.

"Five Ninety Nine is too expensive? Get a second job then... muahahah plebes!"

Le_Gazman

Le_Gazman said:

Restart points make Super Ghouls n Ghosts worth suing again. What an infuriating game that was back in the day. It's also pretty hard to get hold of a decent copy on Super Famicom too.

nomeacuerdo

nomeacuerdo said:

A link to the past and Super Street fighter II for me, thanks.

And I think that a weekly release schedule, swapping from system every week (NES / SNES / N64 / GC / Others) and releasing one or two games should engage more than tossing a bunch of titles every now and then.

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

This sounds a bit sad, but I'm excited for the chance to finally play A Link to the Past in 60hz, legally that is. :J
(And on the GamePad!! Aah, I love it.)
I'm really pleased with having Super Mario World in 60hz on Euro VC. It's such a noticeable difference that it's hard to overstate!

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

Can't wait for 60hz N64 games!
The old console was already sluggish at times, and having it at 50hz PAL made it even more so. I've said it before, but I feel cheated.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

How's about releasing games that aren't already on the Wii's VC?
Maybe TMNT II: The Arcade Game, Mega Man 6 & 7, Little Nemo the Dream Master, Double Dragon III, Splatterhoue 3, Castlevania Bloodlines ect ect.

Nintendo Should of made Gamecube titles available from the start. I hate to sound like a negative nerdling, but the Wii U's piss poor marketing, uninspired copy cat console design, underwhelming innovation and regurgitated 'Wii' VC lineup isn't giving it the greatest first impressions. The Wii however was an entirely different beast all together. A new way to play games ala motion controls, Zelda TP as a launch title, unique console design, fun memorable commercials("Wii" would like to play) and the launch of the Virtual console which had us retro goonies foaming at the mouth made for one of thee most exciting console launches in history!

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

@Geonjaha That's the sad thing about it. Those save points are nice and all to help out some people who weren't able to finish some games but I agree in them making the high scores meaningless. I even posted about that on the Balloon Fight Miiverse section when it came out. Not as much fun, competitive wise, when anyone can save & restore a billion times to get a really great score.

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

@Moshugan I kind of wonder how far Nintendo will go with 60Hz though. For the moment with these old games (I think) they are just using the US version as a short cut.

However, once you get to games which may have been presented in a number of European languages, it may require more work to convert the PAL rom into a 60Hz format, we be interesting to see if they will actually do this.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

@HeatBombastic When the VC started we had between 3-5 VC releases for like two years straight. They could do that again with NEW systems [Gamecube, Dreamcast, Saturn, Amiga and such] as well as the old and have enough releases for the entire generation.

Nintendo has to start pushing, though.

dragon_rider

dragon_rider said:

@arrmixer Knowing Nintendo of Americas' track record, it will probably be the following: Mega Man, Donkey Kong (arcade), Zelda 2, and other games we don't care about ;)

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

@Ristar42 ''...it may require more work to convert the PAL rom into a 60Hz format...''
Ack! :P They'll never attempt that!
They could offer the option to buy the NTSC version, even if it did only have english.

wasf

wasf said:

love each one of em, but i need desperately an option to switch twin 4:3 to full 16:9... hate those black bars... :(

cmk8

cmk8 said:

I voted not interested, already have most of these games in easily accessible form, the only ones I'd play again are Mario (have on the 3ds) and Zelda (have the GBA version.)

edhe

edhe said:

Mega Man, Super Mario Bros. and Street Fighter II? Well fancy that.

nik1470

nik1470 said:

Solid but expected titles. Come on NOE give us some rare jems not many people have played before!

Tertis

Tertis said:

(insert constant whining and moaning about the VC's lack of obscure games that no-one knows about and its pricing that is 3-4 times cheaper than the original cart and ignoring the fact that Nintendo needs to reprogram these games to work with the Wii U VC)

Pj1

Pj1 said:

Where is Yoshi's Island, We need NEW VC Games not updates...

gohanrage

gohanrage said:

How Annoying Its The Original SNES Street Fighter II. It should be Super Street Fighter II. I don't Believe Super Street Fighter II Turbo Came to SNES

I downloaded Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix for PS3