Batman: Arkham Origins Confirmed for Wii U

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

3DS gets a 2.5D spin off, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate

Earlier in the year we learned that a new Batman Arkham title was due in 2013, courtesy of a Warner Bros. financial briefing, and we were hoping that it'd appear on Wii U. The good news is that the statement was true and that Nintendo's system is in line to enjoy the next entry; Batman: Arkham Origins arrives on 25th October.

Also due on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360, development is being taken up by WB Montreal, which previously brought us Batman: Arkham City Armoured Edition in time for the Wii U launch. Set several years before the previous games, this sees a younger Batman meeting some foes for the first time, and the overall premise is that eight assassins have all traveled to Gotham City on Christmas Eve with the intention of killing the caped crusader. It'll use the same framework that Rocksteady employed in the first two games, and the wintry setting suggests that it may have plenty of visual similarities with Arkham City.

The good news for handheld fans is that there'll also be a portable spin-off on 3DS (and the PS Vita), Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate, which has been described as a "2.5D Metroid-style game" and is also due on 25th October. It'll take place after the events of the home console game, and even better is the fact that Armature Studios is behind that project, a company founded by many of the leading lights that produced the Metroid Prime titles at Retro Studios.

It's speculated that this isn't the end for Rocksteady Studios in the Batman series, but that WB Montreal may alternate with the UK studio so that there's a new entry every year. Game Informer magazine is splashing with the game this month, and below is a video that it has posted with some soundbites on what we can come to expect.

So, Batman fans, are you hyped about this one?

[via eurogamer.net]

Related Games

thebluelight1

thebluelight1 said:

"It's speculated that this isn't the end for Rockstar in the Batman series"...must be too busy making GTA to bother with Batsy.

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

You don't need to be a fan of Batman, to not love these games.
Kinda wish they weren't making a 2.5D Batman game sounds like a beat'em up, already.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@LordJumpMad We'll see, but Armature studios has some fantastic talent. We've got another story going up in a bit to show what they're capable of, so I'm hyped about the 3DS release. I'm with Orla too, the first two games were great, so if they simply sustain that good work then I'll be happy.

Xilef

Xilef said:

I want to se fotage of the 3DS game. Looking more forward to that.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Good news.

Any chance we can get this moved to the top of the WiiU page so I don't have to see Pachter's mug anymore :-)

Well that was quick, thanks.

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

Good news.

So, if this is a prequel and I've been holding off on City (thanks to LordJumpMad for suggesting I don't have to be a Super Hero fan to enjoy it) I guess maybe I could just jump straight in with this one when it releases.

Luigifan141

Luigifan141 said:

@dudey300 I agree, Asylum and City were both great games, and I'm definitely picking up the console version. I doubt that I'll get the handheld version, though.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

I will probably end up getting both versions. I'm such a sucker for more Dark Knight action.

Knux

Knux said:

Rockstar is probably making a Grand Theft Auto and Batman crossover...

DRLAdmin

DRL said:

High hopes for Blackgate. Hopefully we'll see some footage in the coming days.

MEGAMAN_D

MEGAMAN_D said:

Oh my god, I am so happy right now. Nice to see WB games showing their support. And to top it all off a 3ds game.

Thats just the cherry on the cake

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

Rockstar had nothing to do with WB Batman Games.. Its Rocksteady Studios, its a Typo in the story.
It will be intetesting to see if this can match the quality of Asylum and City, being a new developer taking the helm.

WesCash

WesCash said:

Awesome! I'll be getting it on PC though, but this is still good news for Wii U owners. Rocksteady isn't developing it so it will be interesting to see how it turns out compared to the brilliant Arkham Asylum and City.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Game has a release date of Oct. 25 (websites everywhere) for those wondering.

I'm guessing TW didn't include that bit of info as he didn't want to make all the other dateless WiiU games jealous. ;-)

OK in fairness he did mention Oct. 25 but it's way down in the paragraph about the 3DS game so it looks like the date if for that game.

MeddlingIdiotStaff

MeddlingIdiot said:

Without Rocksteady I'm quite concerned about the Wii U version. Looking forward to the 3DS game though.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

I imagine a 2D Arkham game to be a lot like "Mark of the Ninja" which was pure awesomeness.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I'm not holding out much hope for this without Rocksteady. Hopefully they're working on some kick-butt Justice League game for next-gen.

Gnoll

Gnoll said:

Batman: Arkham Origins-Blackgate... Long, three-part title, 2,5D Metroidvania handeld entry in a PS360 game series... Wasn't this game already out last month?

On the other hand, I really like Castlevania:LoS-MoF, so maybe I'll like this too!!! :-)

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@rjejr An oversight that I've now corrected. Apparently my punishment will be ten lashings (obscure Starship Troopers reference, btw). ;)

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

Pretty awesome. I'm really glad it's coming to Wii U.

Though I have to say... You're sitting in the conference room, you're brainstorming ideas for the next game, someone suggests a prequel with the sub-title "Origins," and you go with THAT? It's bad enough doing a prequel when you've run out of ideas, but actually going with the Origins name? There's a lot of complaining these days about games being too brown or too unoriginal or whatever, but I think the names bug me more than anything. (Same exact problem with movie sequels.)

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I haven't even played Arkham City yet! This is great news for Wii U owners though I do wonder if this game can turn out as anywhere near as good as the first 2 games since RockSteady isn't developing it. I guess we will find out in due time.

valcoholic

valcoholic said:

Yeeeees!!! Still saved Arkham City for a rainy day, but Asylum was one of the better games over the past years.

shinobi88

shinobi88 said:

FINALLY getting that Batman game for 3DS that was announced at E3 2010. No proof that this is the same game, but I'll take it.

If you asked this Shinobi what licensed games he'd want, if he could pick ANY two in the entire universe, #1 would be Ninja Turtles. And I was seriously pissed about that new Turtles game not coming to 3DS or Vita. But Numero DOS on that list would be Batman. So I am geeked out to an extreme level.

I've been in the handheld game since the very beginning with the original GB. There's just somethin about being able to play Tetris while I'm training my body to be a weapon. But in my estimation, there has NEVER been a great Batman game on a handheld. There's been a couple "not bad-ers", but nothin great. And Armature Studio doesn't make anything but great games. Pretty much all they've ever made is Metroid Prime and Metal Gear HD for Vita, both of which wowed critics across the board

EXTRA good news to come out recently, is that for LEGO Marvel 3DS & Vita, they're not gonna do a clone of their other sucky handheld LEGO games. They'e pumping some fresh ideas into this one they can't wait to show off...at E3 in a couple months I'm guessin

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

Great news! Let's hope WB Montreal will do a good job. I'm more excited for the portable version because of Armature though.

HawkeyeWii

HawkeyeWii said:

Instabuy!
Easily one of the best heroes to use for videogames!
Can't wait. Does anyone know if Kevin Konroy is going to be the voice again?

Jack_Package

Jack_Package said:

Getting good support from WB. And good games too

I wonder if a F.E.A.R game will come to Wii U

Rafie

Rafie said:

@Peach64 I agree! I have both AA & AC, and they were phenomenal! Having a different studio create this does pose some doubt. However if Paul Dini and the original voice actors like Kevin Conroy come back, then we may see a surprise. I'm kind of excited for the handheld version. I'll get it for the Vita though. I need games on it. LOL

SpaceApe

SpaceApe said:

I'm still waiting for a price drop in Arkham City so I can play it. No way I'm paying 60 bucks for an old game.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

I'm so used to seeing headlines saying such and such game is not coming to the Wii U.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

Is there some thing with Batman and Christmas? It seems to be the holiday he's most involved with.

skjia

skjia said:

If people who were involved with metroid prime are involved with it, I am looking forward to it.
I'm glad Wii U is gettin some love. Just hope they don't put that stupid screen on batman's arm again lol

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

@ngamer155 ll, i was goin to say something but u got that covered. Anyways, I am glad there making both of the games but cautious not get my hopes up on the 3DS!

NImH

NImH said:

@sonic-doom did u mean "icing on the cake" or "cherry on the sundae?" ...or am I an American lost in translation? Haha.

WebHead

WebHead said:

AW YEAH! I love the Arkham games. I am so going to get this for the Wii U!

MEGAMAN_D

MEGAMAN_D said:

@NImH

Y'know like a cherry cupcake with the pink swirling icing. Im sure you got those in america

Why we talking about cakes ?

Aidano123

Aidano123 said:

Will be buying the Wii U game and the 3DS one as long as it doesn't turn out to be a half hearted watered down experience

Aidano123

Aidano123 said:

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

Only finished Asylum 2 nights ago, so pretty pumped for this.

Kinda wish it wasn't a prequel, but being right before Christmas, sounds like Calendar Man is going to be one of the main bad guys.

DePapier

DePapier said:

Imma need to boot that Arkham City copy I just received for my Wii U to judge, but I'm quite sure I'm already convinced. :) However I'd like to leave the 2.5D to Mirror of Fate because I doubt anybody can reach so easily what I consider to be the most beautiful game on the 3DS by far. What's more, the portable game being crossplatform, obviously they won't have the same dedication to Nintendo's platform that MercurySteam had with the 3DS exclusive.
(But I'd like them to prove me wrong...)

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

I admit I'm a trifle concerned about Rocksteady's absence, but I'm still plenty excited by the news. I will eagerly wait for more details about both Batman games. If the Metroid-style Batman game turns out good, that'll be like a dream come true for me.

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

Well when I first heard about the leak I was excited about it regardless if it was a prequal or not. But since its not being developed by Rocksteady I think I will wait and see some reviews first or some gameplay to see how it fairs out.

If it was still being developed by Rocksteady then it would have been a day one buy for me. If I am too get it I would most likely get the 360 version since I have the other 2 Arkham games on the system.

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

WB are still the publishers, so I'm expecting the standard as Asylum/City, its WB's franchise and can't see them wanting to upset the people at DC with a bad game, or ruin the reputation of the franchise.

But its always a little bit scary when a new development team take the helm of a great franchise.

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

Is it weird that i'm more excited for the 3DS game? A metroidvania batman game by some former members of retro? Yes please. Its probably the closest we're going to get to a real 2D metroid followup.

luminalace

luminalace said:

Awesome. The Wii U version is a given for me but if the 3DS version turns out well, count me in again.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

I'm interested in the handheld game but I expect it to be very average at best and it disappoints me that it's on the way to Vita as well because I can't think of a multiplatform release for those two systems that hasn't sucked and neither system is going to be used to its potential for this, it's a total waste of the Vita's hardware power. The console game isn't being done by Rocksteady so I couldn't be less interested, which is too bad because Asylum and City are awesome. This is just a weak, shameless cash in. I'm starting to dislike WB quite a bit.

rayword45

rayword45 said:

I'm looking forward more to the Metroidvania game then the open world game, surprisingly.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Might try the 3DS game but the Xbox/Wii U one just sounds like a cash in to the other two Arkham games to me. Not only is Rocksteady not doing it but I also heard that Paul Dini wont have anything to do with this one. Maybe I might rent it depend on the reviews.

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

Dont read if you've not complete Arkham City.

Basing Origin before Asylum/City is probably the right direction if you think about it.
Considering the ending of City, would any Batman game be he same without The Joker?
I just hope Mark Hamill returns to Voice Joker, he does a great job of it.

Trikeboy

Trikeboy said:

I'm glad it's going to be a seperate game and they aren't trying to cram the main version onto a portable. The fact the story happens after Arkham Origins is gonna push people to buy it to find out what happens next. Xbox loyalists will have to buy something new if they want the full story.

Zodiak13

Zodiak13 said:

Also, maybe I will get around to playing one of the games in this series, since I've owned every version on 360 and the WiiU since they were released day 1. Odd since I have not missed an issue of Batman since 2002 that I can't get around to playing the games.

Trikeboy

Trikeboy said:

Oh, one more thing. They are releasing the game in October. They are going up against Pokemon. While other platforms will have no problems, 3DS sales might get effected.
Also, @Zodiak13, Mark Hamill did say he was done playing the Joker, it is why Arkham City ended the way it did. BTW, buy the games, they are amazing.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

hmm interesting i liked both of the batman games but i wonder how this new game will be :o and will it use the similar items/ fighting style...

but idk about the 3ds game like wth o.O but why on october?

Austroid

Austroid said:

Super excited! Loved Armored Edition, and this so far sounds like another great addition to Bats's best games. The 3DS sounds interesting since its being helmed by some of the amazing developers who worked at Retro; that and Metroid gameplay combined with Batman sounds like the best thing ever. :P

Zodiak13

Zodiak13 said:

@Trikeboy I do own them (reread my comment, lol). I just never seem to be able to jump in and play them, I can't figure out why.

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

The writing, atmosphere, voice work (Mark Hamill? Come on) and grasp on the character and world of Batman were impeccable in the first two games.
Asylum was my preference, but City was so much fun: tackling Two Face, Freeze, Penguin. Not to mention playing as Bruce Wayne and Catwoman, Talia's appearance and that ending! Wow.
Big expectations already.
Hoping for a spin on the Last Halloween story. Maybe a death match with Hush.

Zodiak13

Zodiak13 said:

@NodesforNoids Not sure if you meant the "Long Halloween"?? However, Hush would work well with the tone the series seems to represent. You could easily pull in many of Batman's rogue gallery w/ his general ability to create problems for the Dark Knight without always involving himself.

Ecto-1

Ecto-1 said:

@ThomasBW84 post#28

Hehe, just kidding, I will look forward to this come October, and I am happy to hear about a game that is coming to Wii U rather than one that isn't!

Araknie

Araknie said:

@thebluelight1 Rocksteady.

Anyway...i will take the Wii U one of course i need more games on that console. On the 3DS i will have plenty by then.

Lopezdm

Lopezdm said:

Looks great but different developer and no major villains how with the story play out. I wish this was a huge origin story for batman and villains but it's about assassins.