A New Yoshi's Island Title is Coming to 3DS

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Baby Mario comes along for the ride

While today's Nintendo 3DS Direct brought a fair few solid release dates and details, we also got a taste of some rather tasty new titles in development for the end of this year and beyond. While it's unclear whether it'll arrive this year or in 2014, Satoru Iwata gave us a sneak peak of a brand new Yoshi's Island title on the way to the 3DS.

The footage shown incorporated a similar art style to the iconic titles in the series so far, with a good share of stomps and egg throwing included for good measure; it was also promised that the capabilities of the system will bring a host of new actions. More details and a release window will come at a later date, so we'll just have to be patient.

That may not be much to work with, but the glimpses we've seen have given some early proof that the move-set and style that's made the series much loved is being retailed. Those additional details can't come soon enough.

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

Let's just hope this isn't being developed by Artoon.
To be honest actually the art style doesn't thrill me either...

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I was really surprised to see a new Yoshi's Island game in the Nintendo Direct. Easily one of my most anticipated games of the year. As for the art style, the direction they chose surprised me at first but now I really like the direction they are going in. Can't wait!

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

Oh, my God, for serious? I love Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, so I hope the 3DS installment will be good as well (and far surpass the decent-as-a-game-itself/disappointment-as-a-sequel Yoshi's Island DS) :)

Tysamu

Tysamu said:

This looks quite interesting but unpolished. I'm interested in what other news they'll have for this game in the future

Emaan

Emaan said:

Yes Yes Yes YES! I absolutely love the original SNES game, and the DS sequel actually. I can't wait. The art style looks as wonderful as I would expect <3

WiiULoveSquid

WiiULoveSquid said:

Best of show!! Love it. Beautiful impressionist backgrounds and yoshi flutter jumping goodness :) I can hear the crying now!

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

I'm interested, but I would like to know who is making this one. Yoshi's Island DS could have been better.

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

I think this game looks great! Loved the old game and I am wanting to see more Yoshi.
With no release even hinted at though, this could be late 2014 or 2015 easily from what we've seen in the past.

rjejr

rjejr said:

The only Yoshi game I've played is Yoshi's Story on N64 VC- which this looks like to me.
Whats the difference - if any - between the 2 series?

CapnPancakes

CapnPancakes said:

@rjer
Yoshi's Story is a much different game than the Yoshi's Island series. I haven't played Yoshi's Story myself, but I understand the goal is to collect frit while Yoshi'd Island takes a more traditional platforming route, albiet with loads of creativity.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

This sort of keeps the graphical style of the first while having its own style. Kind of like the Zelda game they just revealed. Love it.

ouroborous

ouroborous said:

cool, hopefully they learned something from the last one which was kinda terrible and get it right this time, the first one was one of my fav snes games.

Pachterkid

Pachterkid said:

Hopefully Nintendo develops this in-house and doesn’t turn to Artoon or any other third party for development duties. Yoshi’s Island DS was not very well done. Also, maybe just stick to having Baby Mario. The whole baby swapping mechanic was really annoying in the DS game.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

This was personally my biggest surprise of the Direct. I never saw this one coming. Please be better than the DS game!

And as far as the art style, Yoshi himself looks a little odd, but the backgrounds are cool and I'm positive the game will look better overall as time goes on. 3DS games usually don't look spectacular when newly announced.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

This game really didn't look that great special to me. At least no more so than a solid 2d platforming indie game. However, I find Yoshi adorable and those sound effects melted my heart.
Honestly though... Nintendo and it's partners are churning out too many 2d platformers imo.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I wonder if they'll release Yoshi's Island on the Wii U VC now. I've only ever played the GBA port, and would really like to play it on a big TV screen instead.

sonicfan1373

sonicfan1373 said:

Looks great but I am not a fan of a the pre-rendered art style I liked the drawn art style of the originals much better.

gloom

gloom said:

Hmm first yarn yoshi and now this... Maybe 2014 will be the year of yoshi?

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Yoshi's Island DS was ok...but wasn't as great as the original, we all know nothing can beat the original, but hopefully this game will top the DS game.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I'm just catching up with all the videos... does anyone else think this looks really ugly? It reminds me of Toy Story on the Megadrive, where they were going for a realistic look but the hardware just wasn't up to it. It's a shame as they could probably pull off an amazing hand-drawn look these days. Hopefully what they showed was just a very, very early build.

evanescent_hero

evanescent_hero said:

I really loved the first game and the DS one was...crappy, sadly. =/ Hopefully this one is good too! =)

I like the art style. It's like Yoshi's Island meets Yoshi's Story, both of which were great.

Zeldalover

Zeldalover said:

The SNES game is my 3rd favorite 2d side-scrolling platformer of all-time right after SMB3 and Super Metroid. My dad bought it from a store in Chicago, back in the day in '96. : ) Today, you can only wish for such innovation and art style in video game graphics! It could never be surpassed..

Reddaye

Reddaye said:

Good lord Nintendo...your 3DS line up for this year is making my wallet cry tears of blood.

Void

Void said:

Happy_Mask wrote:

My heart is ready to explode right now. Seriously, this is just an excellent line up right now. :'(

NintendoPro64

NintendoPro64 said:

AWESOME! Yoshi's Island is BACK! Unlike a lot of butthurt people here, I actually LIKED the DS game. But I agree in that it doesn't hold a candle to the SNES one! I actually got as a kid for GBA and STILL have it! I am also liking the art style. I hope Wario and Peach get new platforming adventures of their own soon. As for this: GREAT TO SEE YOSHI BEING TAKEN SERIOUSLY AGAIN!

Untitled

BadKitty

BadKitty said:

Looks uh...pretty >.>, but I hope something new is added. So far it looks like the same thing baby mario on Yoshi, Luigi should really be on Yoshi, it is the year of Luigi after all, add a new story for this not another repeat.

astros75

astros75 said:

I like the screenshot of it, need to see it in 3D though. Regardless, I'm excited for this one.

FOURSIDE_BOY

FOURSIDE_BOY said:

Nintendo, you're f*cking my wallet very hard, first there is donkey kong country returns 3d, then animal crossing, mario party, mario and luigi, pokemon x/y, the new zelda title AND NOW YOSHI'S ISLAND????!!!!, the 3ds is the holy grail of portable consoles right now, too many awesome games!!!! WHAT WILL BE NEXT NINTENDO???? METROID PRIME 3D????!!!!

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

@Peach64
Yeah, I kind of felt the same way. I'm hoping that it looks a lot better on the 3DS screen. It's like it's not sprites and not 3D models but some weird in-between.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

I do like the idea of a new Yoshi's Island. The original (or to be more accurate, the GBA version) is one of my all-time favorites. The DS version was also great, but it seemed to be missing something (like an entire world. Ouch). Hopefully this new title will have 6 Worlds at the least.

Personally, at first I was kinda skeptical of the art style - it reminded me more of Yoshi's Story or Yoshi Topsy-Turvy instead of the hand-drawn style the Yoshi's Island games were. But then I thought about it - these graphics kinda remind me of the opening video of Yoshi's Island. And similar to DKC - which Nintendo was originally aiming for in Yoshi's Island, graphics-wise. So, yeah. Can't wait for this one!

HawkeyeWii

HawkeyeWii said:

Never was too big of a fan of the original.
Always taking care of the baby was kind of annoying. It was a shame that one of the best looking platformers of all time had to suffer such an annoying gameplay element.

lmac99

lmac99 said:

I almost cried when I saw this announcment. Happy tears, happy tears...

JMDS

JMDS said:

There's something off about the art to me. I mean, clearly it's "off" from the original style in that it's somewhat different...maybe I mean "off-putting".

But hey, if it keeps the good ol' gameplay and throws in some 3D-centered gameplay, I'm sure to be interested.

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

Wow!
I remember playing Yoshi's Island on Gameboy Micro back in the day. That's crazy.

RADencker

RADencker said:

Big surprise with this! And, with the new Yoshi Wii U title coming soon, maybe 2014 will be Year of Yoshi

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

I think it's ironic that Miyamoto-sama didn't want CGI graphics in the original Yoshi's Island, stressing that crayon drawing-like visuals would suit it better; only for this third game to have CGI models. Oh well, a new Yoshi game is long overdue, so I'm excited for sure! :D

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

yes yes and more yes finally another yoshi island game was kinda dissapointed when they announce the yoshi game for the wii u and i didnt see him using his egg attack D= but forget that its amazing i liked the art style before and they kept it so its all good to me

now i have so many games to pre order need some release dates so i can place my orders xP

orko

orko said:

this will be the best mario game ever i have a very good feeling about thise game.

orko

orko said:

the art work of the game is the best ive seen in the series. its like yoshis island and yoshi story had a baby togather and its vary good one.