New Yoshi Title Being Developed By The Guys Behind Kirby's Epic Yarn

Posted by Orla Madden

Warning: Beware of extreme cuteness ahead

During today's Wii U Direct broadcast, host Satoru Iwata revealed that the developer behind Kirby's Epic Yarn, Good Feel Inc, is hard at work developing a new title for the Wii U: Yarn Yoshi.

This is the first console game to feature Yoshi as the main character since Yoshi’s Story for the Nintendo 64 way back in 1998.

Takashi Tezuka, director of Yoshi’s Island and Yoshi’s Story, is "pulling all the strings" behind the development of the new game.

No release date has been given for Yarn Yoshi, but we can't wait for this game. What are your thoughts? Are you excited for Yoshi's new adventure?

BenAV

BenAV said:

It's looking really nice.
Hopefully it'll be a bit more difficult than Kirby's Epic Yarn though.

Shworange

Shworange said:

I enjoyed Kirby's epic yarn. It was surprisingly good. I expected it to be rather forgettable, but I was very wrong. I'll definitely get this game.

Banker-Style

Banker-Style said:

Kirby Epic Yarn was brilliant,and this looks like it'll be the same.
Twas a surprise to this .

Wonder_Ideal

Wonder_Ideal said:

Weehahoo! Yoshi yoshi! (Excellent! I can't wait to check out this game!) Hmmm... Yoshi? (I wonder if that means that "rumored" list of games was true?)

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

Hm...they have the actual Yoshi's Island director on this. Hopefully, he won't let the game become too easy.

Late

Late said:

The Yoshi model looks awesome! I wonder if I'm talented enough to make a Yoshi plushie like that. Can't wait!

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

@MrWalkieTalkie: Me to, maybe they will make one for the game when it's released, or if it's a preorder bonus somewhere, then YOU GO AND PREORDER IT!!!!!!!............yeah I can't wait for the game and hopefully a Yarn Yoshi Plush.

Boo_Buster

Boo_Buster said:

I'll get this. The graphical stylings are really cool. I never played Kirby's Epic Yarn so it's new to me!

datamonkey

datamonkey said:

Looking forward to this but hope it's a bit more fun to play than Kirby's Epic Yarn which I found a bit of a yawn!

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Nintendo's been reading my mind. I've always thought Good Feel would be perfect for a Yoshi game after making such beautiful games like Wario Land: Shake It! and Kirby's Epic Yarn. With the Yoshi's Island director in there, this should be a bigger challenge than Kirby's game.

Arthedain

Arthedain said:

Here's hoping for multiplayer so me and my gf can enjoy this together as we enjoyed Kirby's Epic Yarn :-)

andreoni79

andreoni79 said:

@BenAV and Arthedain
Maybe they should offer the option to play it as Kirby Epic Yarn (for the youngers) and as a classic 3 life old school platform (Donkey Kong Country Returns!) for expert players.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I liked the 3Dish (2 12/D) parts more than the Kirby look. There were a couple of places in Yoshi's Island were the path split to give the world more depth, hopefully this will have more of that. 2D just bores me after awhile. At least LBP has 3 levels.

Molotov

Molotov said:

They Said Smtn About Showcasing Gfx... Where? It Looks EXACTYLY As Good As Kirby Epic Yarn Which, Admittedly, Looked Great On The Wii But Looks Outdated On The Wii U. To Top It Off...... The Whole Game Looks EXACTLY Like Kirby Epic Yarn... Did I Mention That?

Yosher

Yosher said:

This will be my Game of the Year, most definetely! Just because it's a new Yoshi game!

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

Sounds promising. But it had better be as good as Yoshi's Island, if not better. I've played that (well the remake, which is still great in its own right), Yoshi's Story, and Yoshi's Island DS. Yoshi's Story disappointed me, and Yoshi's Island DS was great, but something was missing about it compared to the original.

gefflt

gefflt said:

SUPER excited!

But will the game look like Kirby's Epic Yarn or like those two pictures of full-blown 3D models?

Moguri

Moguri said:

I would prefer a Kirby's Epic Yarn sequel (for me, Kirby looks better yarned) but this news are also amazing.

Emaan

Emaan said:

YES! Good Feel is the perfect developer to take on a Yoshi game. Not to mention we are finally getting a Yoshi game on a home console after so long. I just knew we were going to see something Yoshi on Wii U. This Nintendo Direct was legendary.

Dodger

Dodger said:

I'm surprised that they are going back to the yarn theme, but KEY is still one of my favorite Wii games so I'll probably get this at some point.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

Before I saw screens I was like "Yarn again? I'd have liked to see the pop-up book style refined" (plus it keeps feel good doing new art styles) but seeing it being more 3D shows its the yarn style refined.

Now one thing I think. Yoshi's Story and Kirby's Epic Yarn have a common criticism; too easy. Then again Yoshi's Island DS (aka Yoshi's Island the official romhack) is criticised for being too hard to the point of being unfun (as many romhacks up the difficulty to unfair proportions). There were fewer complaints about Kirby not being fun due to the lack of difficulty.

Ryno

Ryno said:

Not terribly excited at the moment but we'll see! Maybe that will change.

Kaeobais

Kaeobais said:

@BenAV Wouldn't count on it.

Kinda disappointed by this news. I would've rather had the art style of Yoshi's Island (and the gameplay, to boot). That said, a new Yoshi game is cool, and I don't doubt it'll be good.

shinpichu

shinpichu said:

Wasn't a huge fan of Epic Yarn, though that had more to do with the game feeling slow and boring than being easy. Have to wait and see how I feel about this.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

I was hoping it would look more like Shake It, but I trust these guys to make a good game.

Hopefully it isn't much like Yoshi Story, though.

pepsilover2008

pepsilover2008 said:

I think yoshi's Epic Yarn would have sounded better, since The last yoshi game was yoshi's story, nintendo could have said "yarn an epic story in yoshi's epic yarn" or something cheesy like that.

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

If it´s not like boring Yoshi´s Story with meh soundtrack then it´s great. I was hoping for a new Yoshi´s Island, but this looks quite good too.

NintendoNaut

NintendoNaut said:

Kirby's Epic Yarn really bored me to death, so I'm kind of worried about this one. Especially since Yoshi's Island is one of my favorite games of all time.

WesCash

WesCash said:

I wanted to love Epic Yarn, but you could honestly train a monkey to beat that game. Ramp up the difficulty and this could really be amazing.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

Kirby's Epic Yarn was easy, but I really enjoyed it and it took me around 15 hours to unlock every stage and get 100% on it. I wonder how many other people who claim it was too easy actually bothered to do everything? ;)

If this lasts me a similar amount of time, maybe 20 hours, and is just as much fun to play, then I'll be very happy with it.

Mode7

Mode7 said:

I don't believe Iwata ever referred to the game as being called "Yarn Yoshi." Is this info coming from someplace else?

hydeks

hydeks said:

watching the gameplay video of yarn yoshi just looks awesome, I'm really starting to want a Wii U, there bringing the games I want out on it! Nice change from the Wii :P

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

I like kirby's epic yarn wii. It's really cute & fun. Might pick up yoshi yarn wii u when its released. :)

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Epic Yarn was good if you weren't looking for a traditional Kirby experience. It better be different with this game since most likely there won't be another Yoshi game for a lot of years to come.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Yoshi Yarn Planet.

Kirby's Epic Yarn was too easy AND too short - my 6 year old son played thru it in about 3 hours I think - but I don't want to see this as hard as DKCR with those near impossible minecart levels where it's all memorization and reflexes and no fun. Return to Dreamland was better.. And since there are several colored Yoshi's in Yoshi's Story I expect this to have real multiplayer - everybody gets to be Yoshi, none of the usual 2nd class citizen stuff like Nintendo usually pulls - see SMG and NSMB Wii and U.

Looking forward to it, hopefully it's good.

Brotagonist

Brotagonist said:

Kirbys Epic Yarn is one of my favorite wii games, but I've never been a huge fan of the Yoshi games other than SMW 2. My intrest has been piqued.

NintendoCat14

NintendoCat14 said:

Hopefully it's different enough from Kirby's Epic Yarn. It was a great game, yeah, but it shouldn't be the same.

AntiGuy

AntiGuy said:

This is amazing! I just hope they bring back all the different color Yoshis and make Black and White Yoshis unlockables.

Raymen

Raymen said:

WAIT. 0-0 That means MGS is next if that rumor a few months ago was right (crossing fingers!)!

Henmii

Henmii said:

I am really curious! There are 2 different styles shown: A style very similar to Epic Yarn, but also a very different style! I am especially interested in that new style, since that seems to push the hardware! But both look nice, of course!

By the way: It's definitely a cross between Yoshi's Story and Kirby's Epic Yarn!

Frozenx07

Frozenx07 said:

I'm a huge Yoshi fan and I loved Kirby's Epic Yarn! It's so unexpected that they would do this! I'm very excited! :)

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

Epic yarn was a kool concept, but it was too easy. This however look gorgeois in hd and looks more of the style of Little Big Planet with some of epic yarn n there. I just hope its more diffult then Epic Yarn was.

ViKTRO

ViKTRO said:

If they can capture the challenge, and fun of Yoshi's Island and do the yarn thing from Kirby with it; this is a must have.

Klinny

Klinny said:

Oh, it looks cute.. Reminds me a lot visually of LittleBigPlanet for the PS3. I also really loved Yoshi's Story for N64, so I'll be keeping an eye on this :)

Therian

Therian said:

Hmmm, this I guess will be okay, but it looks like Epic Tarn too much. Still looks like a good game though.

evildevil97

evildevil97 said:

Looking forward to it. I don't understand the complains about Epic Yarn being too easy. Have you guys actually tried for 100%? Some side missions are quite difficult.

Araknie

Araknie said:

Will surely pick this up at D1, i freaking loved Kirby's Epic Yarn it's my favorite Kirby game EVAH!

Kirk

Kirk said:

I just hope it's as good as Kirby's Epic Yarn (minus the non-dying aspect that most people didn't appreciate).

After looking at the screens in a bit more detail I'm worried that the only similarities it's really gonna have with KEY is the yarn theme, whereas I really would like it to be pretty much identical to KEY in pretty much every way but just with Yoshi and the Mario characters etc instead of the Kirby stuff. I hope they don't ruin the already brilliant gameplay or underlying game design by trying to force the 3D/2.5D stuff into the game unnecessarily for example.

I really don't want the next Yoshi's Story. I want the next Yoshi's Island but just with the KEY artistic style because I think that would once again look stunning and work really well with this Yoshi version of the game.

All I ever thought Kirby's Epic Yarn did wrong was making it a Kirby game instead of a Yoshi game and not letting the player die at all, even when they fell down holes etc. If they just addressed those two little issues and nothing else I think they'd have one of the best platformers ever on their hands.

It's really simple to get this right, Nintendo, just make Yoshi's Epic Yarn.

Here's hoping they nail this one.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

The funny part is I thought about Yoshi's Story when playing KEY. Not surprised they're using the same style. Both KEY and YS were too easy though enjoyable.