Kid Icarus: Uprising Won't be Available from GAME/Gamestation

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Nintendo confirms other retail options

In the past few weeks we've reported that a number of titles on Nintendo consoles weren't going to be stocked by the embattled GAME retail group in the UK: titles such as The Last Story, Mario Party 9 and Tekken 3D Prime Edition have all missed out. The much-hyped Kid Icarus: Uprising can now be added to the list, with Nintendo excluding GAME and Gamestation, including the related online stores, from its list of retailers for the title's launch on 23rd March.

Considering recent events this isn't necessarily a surprise, though it's another disappointing development. A large number of major retailers will be stocking Kid Icarus: Uprising, and as always the future availability of Nintendo-distributed titles in GAME stores will be decided on a case-by-case basis.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@supermario4ever GAME Retail group lost its credit insurance, basically meaning that its been unable to afford to stock a lot of new titles. It's affected a lot of titles on other consoles, as well as the games listed in the article.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

It's like they don't even want business. Ah well, good thing I live in the US.

Chris720

Chris720 said:

Goodbye GAME... if they're not going to stock good games then what's the point in shopping there?

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

Instead of Gamestop/EB Games buying GAME, Nintendo should. It would be such a cool idea.

erv

erv said:

@Koops3 hm that is a great idea. If nintendo gets their own "nintendo stores" where they sell everything that is nintendo or available on a nintendo system, people might just take note of the variety they usually offer.

I wonder if nintendo would ever discount games though, so I'll still be buying from amazon :P

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

I wonder if Gamestop will buy up GAME. The quality might not go up, but at least Europeans will get their games.

SuperNictendo

SuperNictendo said:

Why doesn't game get stocked with certain games? I feel somewhat outta the loop cause I don't know

cfgk24

cfgk24 said:

I wish you could mail order games direct from Nintendo UK - this would also cut out the middle man for Nintendo - currently I buy my games from Amazon - cheaper than GAME and they deliver on release day. . . . Mind you - Amazon does have superb customer service. . . . . .

gitch

gitch said:

Another reason not to bother with them anymore.

I was in GAME the other day, picking over what's left like a vulture. For a company in trouble they've still got the latest games at ridiculously high prices. Suppose they have to make money somehow.

I feel sorry for the staff, bought many a game on their recommendation.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

@SuperNictendo: Game lost their credit insurance so companies wont send them newer titles. Kid Icarus isnt the only game you also have Mario Party 9, Tekken 3D, Street Fighter X Tekken, and Ninja Gaiden 3 just to name a few of the titles that they wont stock.

Truthfully I dont know what Game is waiting for they might as well stick a fork in it cause they are done.

antster1983

antster1983 said:

It's not just Nintendo-published titles either - they aren't stocking new EA titles for other formats like Mass Effect 3 or SSX, and won't be stocking FIFA Street or Tiger Woods 2013 either.

Sad state of affairs when a video game retailer isn't getting games in because it can't afford to stock them :(

But then again, meh, I can buy games online for cheaper :P

Chozo85

Chozo85 said:

This debate has been had already so I don't want to labour the point but for those of you are celebrating GAME's apparent imminent demise, you are misguided. I've had mixed experiences with GAME as customer and haven't always been impressed with their practices. However aside from the fact its going to put a lot of people out of work, this is bad news for gamers. There will be no specialist games retailers on a lot of UK high streets. This means less competition and means that more obscure games will only be available via the internet. If its only for the sake of the employees, I hope they find a buyer quickly.

lord_hades

lord_hades said:

apparently GAME is expected to pay its quarterly rent fees for all 600 shops in the UKby the end of march, but GAME has hardly any money and they may not be able to pay the rent, thats why they arent stocking new releases because game developers like EA, capcom and nintendo arent going to give them games if they cant sell them because GAME is losing customers to amazon and online shops, so GAME is losing money. but WAL-mart owners of ASDA here in the uk may buy them and save GAME also gamestop may buy GAME, but if not GAME may no longer exist by the end of this month

Bobhobob

Bobhobob said:

@Koops3 I don't know if they have that in the UK, but in the US in Manhattan there's a Nintendo store called Nintendo World that sells games, exclusive merch and Prepaid 3DS eshop cards, which I can't find anywhere ese. If only they would expand.. :P

ouroborous

ouroborous said:

What in the world is wrong with this store????? Some kind of hate between them and Nintendo for some reason? If the reason was mentioned somewhere before then I totally missed it.

TysonOfTime

TysonOfTime said:

Well, this store is dead. No denying. Give their employees your condolences because the chain should be dead.

If they don't go under soon, then they'll only be delaying the inevitable. Sad.

Marakuto

Marakuto said:

@GamerDude I know someone who works in GAME that lives near me, how would YOU feel when your jobless and not be able to cope? :/

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I don't live in europe so this doesn't really affect me.

What about the whole "caring about your fellow gamer's plight" --- it could have been you in this situation.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Its big news in the UK financial news at the moment. GAME and Gamestation are in big trouble. I think the latest is they managed to get a buyer though???

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

@erv nintendo would need to open a nintendo world store in london i think.

last i read GAME have found a buyer- if this turns out to be true, i do hope things will improve for that store and by means of stocking more wii , DS and 3DS titles.

Chobi

Chobi said:

@Bass_X0
I rarely go to retailers to pick up video games. Beside, i think if this happened in north America a lot of U.S gamers would be happy to see GameStop go belly up. Their customer service is terrible.

GARF13LD

GARF13LD said:

For those who think GAME/Gamestation do not want these titles you are wrong, EA, Capcom and Nintendo refuse to give them stock because they are still owed money from before Christmas, they want the money owed before giving them stock but due to their financial position they cannot afford to pay.
Also I work in CeX and the Gamestation in Ashford still has Kid Icarus, Luigi's Mansion and Mario Tennis on their shelf for pre-order.

Blizzaga

Blizzaga said:

This game is going to sell like crazy, mark my words!

GAME are shooting themselves in the feet.

GamerDude

GamerDude said:

Whoa! I never meant it like that, I meant to imply that thier a horrible company, that charge stupid prices, don't stock great games and all in all I dont like the company! However I do feel sorry for all the people who would loose thier jobs!

Doma

Doma said:

It's about time they had a closing down sale, isn't it? hurry up.

sykotek

sykotek said:

It is obvious that they're going out of business. Those of you who shop with GAME/Gamestation, I'd start pulling my pre-order money now if I were you.

Malkeor

Malkeor said:

Good thing I don't have one where I live :P
Ah well it's usually just Wal Mart, Best Buy or Amazon for me anyway.

Squid

Squid said:

Geez, that sucks. I don't live in Europe, but I hope they can get this all fixed up (if they're even in a position to do that?). It'd be really bad if they were all closed down, considering how many people would lose their jobs... But good luck to them.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

Makes me wonder how they plan to stay in business if they're not stocking the big games :O

Katzii

Katzii said:

@Doma

What do you think they're doing now with their "Spring Cleaning" campaign?

As for non-UK people coming in here saying "oh, I don't live in Europe so it doesn't affect me", what's the point of coming in here and commenting? It's a bit like me going into an article related to a US problem and saying "oh, I don't live in America so it doesn't affect me". Who cares?

InazumaKid

InazumaKid said:

Bad news. Game have removed inazuma eleven 2 from their site. Bet the news on its not being stocked will come any hour now...

HaNks

HaNks said:

on the plus side, they've had new black wii's for £49.99 and PS3's for £99.99 recently. their demise is imminent, should have kept more cash for a rainy day. rip-off stores anyway IMO, particularly GAME.

japzone

japzone said:

I was wondering why when I was searching for possible pre-order deals for a friend, the link on Nintendo.co.uk to Pre-Order the game went to a 404 on GAME's website. I copied the link and pasted it into Google and found a Cached version of the page, but the Live version page was nowhere to be seen. Now I know. I'll be letting my friend know to take his buisness elsewhere.

Wintendo

Wintendo said:

Now, I don't live in Europe, but seriously, this GAME store sounds like a big joke. How on earth will you earn money if you can't sell quality games?

MetroidMasher17

MetroidMasher17 said:

@Steampunk It isn't THAT bad. Sure, GameStop once had a blatantly pirated game for sale once (LOL the guy was so surprised when I showed him), but besides that, their customer service is actually pretty decent IMO.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

How on earth will you earn money if you can't sell quality games?

They're not.

Chris720

Chris720 said:

I spoke to someone at GAME and Gamestation and they both said it will be available to buy next week from their stores...

Tate24

Tate24 said:

am proper gutted about this because ive got £12.99 on gift card and i going put it towards Kid Icarus: Uprising and now not gonna stock it thats just crap!!!! :(