New SNES Title On the Way in 2013

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

We're not kidding

Most Nintendo gamers are currently pre-occupied with their current consoles and perhaps looking ahead to the arrival of Wii U. It's surprising, therefore, to hear about a new title for Super Nintendo, but that's exactly what is on the way.

Retro developer and publisher Super Fighter Team has confirmed that it is currently developing a brand new SNES title called Nightmare Busters, due for release in 2013. According to the developer this will be the first new game released for the platform in the U.S. since 1998. Described as a 'run and gun' title, there has been such demand that not only has the company decided to accept pre-orders, but is also boosting the initial run to 600 copies, double the normal first batch. Citing production costs as a factor, the game will cost $68 dollars for U.S. customers and $75 for the rest of the world. As stated on the game's web page, the package contains the following.

One (1) copy of Nightmare Busters for the Super Nintendo; a game cartridge with full color label, which supports both PAL and NTSC based systems.
One (1) full color instruction manual.
One (1) full color cardstock box to house the game cartridge and instruction manual.

Shipping is expected at an unspecified point in 2013, and the developer is keen to express that only enthusiastic buyers should consider pre-ordering. At present there are no concrete details about the title beyond its genre, but with a dedicated website promised in the near future there isn't long to wait.

[via nightmarebusters.com]

thedanman64

thedanman64 said:

Wow... a new SNES game in this day and age. Hope it turns out to be good.

Wouldn't it be funny if there was a new Mega Drive/Genesis game coming out as well? The 16-bit war would start again!

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

O WOW...but really,what store is it gonna be in,whos gonna buy it,why couldnt they put it on vc,WHO HAS THE CONSOLE STILL?,why is it so pricey

WOLFER

WOLFER said:

You kidding me? Their really planning on making a game for a console thats been outdated for more than a decade.... Genious i say.

KingMike

KingMike said:

This is actually an unreleased SNES game from 1995.
Some years ago, a ROM from a prototype cartridge leaked onto the Internet, and Super Fighter Team obtained the copyright owner's permission to legally reproduce the game.
It is indeed a "run and gun" game, with fairly good cartoony graphics but it is also extremely challenging.
So you could probably find footage of the game on youtube (though it may not necessary represent Super Fighter's version, as they could alter it. As they did with Star Odyssey for the Genesis. That game also originated from a leaked commercial ROM, but Super Fighter fixed bugs and retranslated text before releasing it.)

Yosher

Yosher said:

I might actually get this! Never threw away or sold my good ol' SNES and never will either.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

lol I always wanted to make a new SNES game in this day and age myself. They beat me to it :(

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Will Nintendo allow this? Don't they still have the right to only allow games they license to legally be sold for their old systems?

TheChosen

TheChosen said:

No thanks. I could buy 7 actual SNES games with that price, and even more if some of them are sports games.

I think I could even buy Megaman X with less than that.

metafaniel

metafaniel said:

It's a little expensive but the glory of a new SNES game in these days pays by itself!!
HOWEVER I've got a doubt: Don't they're afraid of copyrights infringements??? I mean it's an SNES game!!! It will be copied and emulated in no time!

What are they doing to prevent severely and massive looses??
This game will be emulated surely in no time, is it not? Or do they implemented, I don't know, some kind of chip or code or something to prevent this????
Good question...

Joshers744

Joshers744 said:

I would love to buy an SNES cartridge. I still have mine. Loved that old thing...but this is a little pricey for me for a game I know nothing really about...

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

If they are going to make a game for a Nintendo system, can't they just make it for Wiiware or 3DS?

Yanchamaru

Yanchamaru said:

Nightmare Busters was made in 1995 but was never officially released on the SNES. In 2004 the game was renamed Flynn's Advenures for mobile phones by publisher In-Fusio. GameSpot gave it a 7.3. I would like to know if Super Fighter Team is adding any new content or is this a direct port?

AVahne

AVahne said:

There are still plenty of people out there with a working SNES and there are also people who buy clones systems (myself included). Looks like they really do have an audience to sell to!

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

It would be interesting to see a video game sub-industry appear in the future making new retro games to play on the old systems. It doesn't seem too far fetched either. There are a lot of people who love those old systems and still play them. I'd have to wonder about the legality, but it would be awesome. Even more awesome would be if Nintendo got in on the action itself, producing copies of their old games in their original format, perhaps with a banner of "Legendary Version" across the top to separate it from the originals. Not likely, but still awesome.

belmont

belmont said:

In fact there are still retail releases for Mega Drive. Mostly are RPG games.

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

wow, this is rare and unexpected of a developer to make and release a game for a console that is no longer on sale.

however, i still think this should be on the wii V.C service.

drumsandperc92

drumsandperc92 said:

I mean, i think it's a brilliant idea to create a new game like that and then release it via virtual console or something, and then even a physical release such as this one for nostalgic purposes and really enthusiastic collectors and gamers who have the system still.
But honestly they are missing a big opportunity if they don't make a digital copy of this game.
And it's a really intriguing concept...producing a brand new game but under the limitations of a retro system...if a company produced a new game under the limitations of N64 though it would just look dated. But new NES and new SNES games are actually quite a brilliant idea...it would look and feel retro, but it would be brand new. Then release them on VC!
They could very easily have produced this game for Wii or even Wii U in HD, and made it a 2D game, much in the vein of DKCR, KRtD, and NSMB, how they are new but retro in style and gameplay. But to actually limit yourself to the hardware of the retro system....it's almost ingenious lol.
I'm curious as to what happens with this game.

HanuKwanzMasBif

HanuKwanzMasBif said:

If I had an SNES I'd get this.
Actually, if I had an SNES I'd probably already have a healthy collection of games.
This is still cool though.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

@KoMiCtUrTlE Haha, I can guarantee you, if I was a video game co., I'd do the same. Actually, like you, I have already thought of wanting to do the same.

@metafaniel They probably are in some ways counting, &/or hoping on it, b/c the whole premise/concept is not of whether the game itself is good, but that it is being produced for a retro console, in that console's physical format; in this case cart. It'd probably give 'em a buzz seeing that someone emulated their game(To them it would mean someone had to have first bought a copy, to then emulate it. It could also mean the game was good/received positive reception.). Their main market they're counting on, is the kind that they probably almost know that even w/ piracy, their particular audience(SNes enthusiasts) will purchase enough of their wares to null any real concerns they may have about piracy.

@TrueWiiMaster That would be cool. Of course, then eBay would be flooded w/ "Original version of "x" game, not Legendary Version", or something dumb like that. No really, just b/c GCN games don't have that "Player's Choice" on it, some sellers charge higher prices, while others plainly state in their listings that no real change in-game equals no differentiation, as far as the sellers are concerned.

Edit #2: The fact that this game has already seen release in certain ways, means it's probably already been pirated. They might have already considered this, as well. Again, the enthusiasts are their audience, so this co. is almost guaranteed many purchases of a physical copy of this game.

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

Too bad I don't have an SNES. I didn't get into games until my late teens, and my first system was consequentially a Gamecube.

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

I can't wait! I saw a gameplay footage of it on YouTube recently, and it looks very impressive from what I've seen, currently on my wishlist :) But it's really coming out in 2013? Man (I was hoping Super Fighter Team was gonna release it sometime this year)! :( Oh, well, I'm patient, but I'll be looking forward to the day Nightmare Busters is released

Malkeor

Malkeor said:

@Swiket Oh funny guy.

This is actually kind of weird...why not just make a retro game in the style of SNES? Oh well, bring it to VC and i'll check it out!

Ryno

Ryno said:

For all those who say "make it downloadable" there is a whole retro video game subculture out there who like having actual physical copies of classic games and systems and playing them as they were meant to be played. Yes, there is definitely a market for this. Here is link to a new NES game to be released in March called Assimilate.

ogo79

ogo79 said:

i was going to hold back on this but, in supporting Rynos comment, theres also another nes game coming out called Nomolos Storming The "Catsle"...im getting this as well. its like a Color Dreams game with a style of Castlevania.
there are always new 8 bit and 16 bit games being made on a physical cart. you just got to stay on top of yer game in order find out about them.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

@dark-insanity: Plenty of people still have a SNES I for one still have mine. And with ebay and retro game stores around its not that hard to get a SNES.

Zenszulu

Zenszulu said:

It's not exactly a totally brand new game though is it since a game that was finished in 1995 and never got published, i am a big fan of companies doing this though and going the extra mile with packaging. The best I have seen on recent years is Pier Solar released for the Mega Drive a couple of years ago, not only did they go all out with the game it's self but they done technical things not even Sega done with the system when it was active, I would only consider new games like that and not old games that never got published almost two decades ago.

Nintendude92

Nintendude92 said:

@Koops3 Gotta know if this is considered an official release. Gotta get dat license

I would be more shocked at this news if similar things hadn't happened on the dream cast already

Omenapoika

Omenapoika said:

I hope this is a success and other studios will start making their games too :)
Production value for making 16-bit games now are very little, so the main expense would be in the design and manpower, which for this kinds of projects can find the peak of it's expertise.

Noire

Noire said:

It makes me wonder if Wii games will still be made by enthusiastic old-school developers in the year 2027. I mean, somebody will be nostalgic about waggling their arm like crazy, right?

JimLad

JimLad said:

If it is an unreleased game from 1995, I wish they'd do the same for Star Fox 2. (and risk the wrath of Nintendo's lawyers)

Shotgunryugan

Shotgunryugan said:

O.o What!?

Even if my SNES wasn't robbed,i would have skipped this game anyway,doesn't sound interesting,just because they're bringing something old doesn't mean it'll be good.

Pj1

Pj1 said:

It sounds very good but way too expensive, everyone is right on here it should be a VC title! they might sell a few more copies....

Lobster

Lobster said:

This isn't the sort of title I like but good luck to them. I love my SNES and all my games for it. I think it has a good chance at the title of "Best Console Ever."

TheRegginator

TheRegginator said:

When will this hit the VC? Just kidding. It probably never will. I'll just emulate it as soon as possible.

odd69

odd69 said:

Making retro games in this day in age must be pricey considering Full retail releases at 60$(plus alot of tax) a pop.If i still had a snes though, i would buy it for my collection. I really need to get me another snes.

RudysaurusRex

RudysaurusRex said:

I was excited... until I looked it up on the internet. Looks pretty stupid. It's nice to see the SNES alive still.