Nintendo Download: 19th January 2012 (Europe)

Posted by James Newton

Wii Virtual Console is back!

It seems like forever since we last got a Virtual Console game on Wii, but the service is back from the dead with a new Super Nintendo title from Ubisoft. Not only that, there's a Game Boy Color game too. Let's get to it.

Wii Virtual Console

Prince of Persia (Super NES, Ubisoft, 800pts) — The rather good Super Nintendo version of Jordan Mechner's classic adventure game finally comes to the Wii. Look for our upcoming review to see if it's still worth the money.

3DS Virtual Console

Prince of Persia (Game Boy Color, Ubisoft, £4.50/€5) — What? Two PoP games in one week? Such is the generosity of Nintendo and Ubisoft, as the GBC version comes to Europe. Can it justify its £4.50 price tag? We'll let you know.

3DS Demos

Resident Evil Revelations (Capcom, free) — A free trial of next week's big 3DS game. Who can resist?

Cooking Mama 4 (505 Games, free) — And a slightly less exciting — but still welcome — tasting menu for Mama's 3D cooking adventures.

DSiWare

40-in-1 Explosive Megamix (Nordcurrent, 800pts) — Another compendium from Nordcurrent, can it improve on the publisher's previous DSiWare output? We'll tell you with our review, coming soon.

Come On! Heroes (CIRCLE Entertainment, 200pts) — Another game from the studio that loves the word "heroes", CIRCLE's action game isn't a bad way to spend 200 Points, as our Come On! Heroes review explains.

Will you be picking up either of this week's Virtual Console offerings?

Related Games

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

Prince of Persia on the SNES is an absolutely fantastic game, as tough as old boots though!

The PAL boxart is really dreadful, I had the Japanese version back in the days. How much better does this look? :)

Link79

Link79 said:

Wow holy crap! Did hell just freeze over?
I never had the chance to play the Snes version of POP.
Just the original PC game and the awesome sands of time series.
This should be a neat experience!

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Did I actually just read "Wii VC" in a Nintendo Downloads article? I'm not presently under the influence of any substance (I don't think...). I hope Trollestia isn't pulling our manes by posing as James. :p I guess my cries for Castlevania: Bloodlines & Contra: Hard Corps can now resume!

stromboli

stromboli said:

Awesome, this is exactly how it is supposed to be all the time. Pow pow - console and handheld same game releases - bam. Only Nintendo can do this to a wide audience and this is Nintendo's edge, one of them. Should do it really often.

sc100

sc100 said:

So my dream of seeing Earthbound and Star Fox on VC is still alive...

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

Welcome back, Virtual Console! But I won't be surprised if it goes away for another chunk of eternity. I've never played either Prince of Persia game, so I'm intrigued...

James

James said:

"More thrills than a saber duel with a thousand sultans!"

Man that's good box art copy.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I'm quite pleased we're getting Wii VC and another GBC game. But I'm just not interested in Prince of Persia.

dizzy_boy

dizzy_boy said:

i would have thought konami would still need to agree to ubisoft for putting the PoP games up, i`d assume konami would still own the rights to the game code unless ubisoft bought them.
anyway, it`s nice to see that VC has risen from the dead, lets hope that this isn`t just a one off.

MattL

MattL said:

Never played a Prince of Persia game, despite over 25 years of gaming experience. May have to download this if the review warrants it, and naively hope that my purchase prompts further Virtual Console releases ;)

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

thank you nintendo of europe!! prince of persia is one of the best games ever. hopefully with more people downloading it, it will help persuade nintendo to put out more and more games on the V.C service.

Dragoon

Dragoon said:

Hmm, a double-dose of Prince of Persia! It's not my series, mind, but it's nice to see the Wii's VC finally get something new and interesting.

DrakeStaff

Drake said:

@taffy: They announced that it would be in there, but in the end it was the original Apple II version instead, for some reason.

Jave

Jave said:

PoP SNES is best PoP. Definitely a must and hope America gets it too.

Never played the GBC version. Is it a port of the DOS original?

killer6370

killer6370 said:

WOOOOOT a Game for the wii VC is this real or did i drunk too much beer last night and still drunken this is impossible am gonna check it this thurstday

theJOE

theJOE said:

give us a 3D version of zelda and the faces of evil then i will be happy

gusmento01

gusmento01 said:

Good job Ubisoft, but please consider releasing Rayman 2: The Great Escape as well for Wii VC.

Olaf-symbiote

Olaf-symbiote said:

Never thought I'd live to see the day! Maybe they'll even release MM5 and MMX soon. Then I can finally rest easy!

killer6370

killer6370 said:

Ubisoft? isnt the SNES Version a Licence from Konami(Ubisoft owned the rights after the SNES Versions)

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

Congratulations Gamers Of Europe! I hope these are the good games you have been waiting for, and NOE releases many more =)

Omega

Omega said:

I don't care for PoP either, but it's good that we seemingly have the VC back. Now can we have Monster World IV please?

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

Haven't yet played the the newer PoP games (Sands of Time, etc.) but loved the original PC and its various incarnations. That animation was a glorious thing back in the day.

paburrows

paburrows said:

This is awesome, I'm getting this! Now if we could get more Arcade love with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1 & 2, X-Men, Stryder and others.

paburrows

paburrows said:

I haven't payed PoP since the original PC game, whats the difference between these two versions?

Omega

Omega said:

@paburrows: Wikipedia says the following: "Aside from graphic and aural enhancements, the game has twenty levels instead of the original's thirteen; the original levels that remain have some extra rooms or different routes. Also, there are boss battles that involve not only swordfighting but dodging as well. Unlike other versions, the player is given two hours to rescue the Princess."

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

The only possible complaint about this update is the lack of WiiWare, pushing the queue back for some of these long-awaited games which appear to finally be getting close to release.

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

How many months have been since the last VC wii game?

P.D. If I have my PoP in my GC Sands of Time and in my Wii Forgotten Sands does it deserves a download? What differences are between SNES version and GBC version?

Chozo85

Chozo85 said:

Can I get an hallelujah? And a good game to. Is this a one off or the start of a Virtual Console renaissance?

brooks83

brooks83 said:

Awesome news! And this is Ubisoft's first VC game, if I'm not mistaken. Other than their N64 games, what else could they release? Here's hoping this comes to NA on Thursday.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

@Heavy_Barrel well wii've had a vc since around 2006, dont know about you, joke aside, wiis vc quit having new(old) games months ago, but hopefully is coming back after a long sleep. lets just hope it didnt wake up just to hit the snooze until wii u vc comes out...

Dodger

Dodger said:

Nintendo is starting to run out of popular 1st party games though. Star Fox, Yoshi's Island (the only Super Mario game that is missing, I think), Mario Party 3, MAYBE Mother 1 (Earthbound will never happen). I would like to see a remake of Duck Hunt with pointer controls even if it costs more then 500 points. I wouldn't mind seeing Mario Paint on Wii U VC or something.

LordAndrew

LordAndrew said:

"Maybe Starfox, but definitely not earthbound... D':"

Not Star Fox either. Star Fox has a special graphics chip in the cartridge, which Nintendo has never bothered to emulate. That's also why Yoshi's Island has never been released on the Wii Virtual Console. If they were going to emulate that chip, they would have done it a long time ago.

cheetahman91

cheetahman91 said:

A Wii VC game? I almost forgot that service existed. :P Hopefully NA gets it too but I'm keeping my expectations pretty low right now.

timp29

timp29 said:

SNES PoP was an excellent game. Quite faithful to the original PC version, with extra levels that are fiendishly hard and from memory, an improved boss battle. It was at least a 9/10 in its day.

astarisborn94

astarisborn94 said:

Please let Prince of Persia come out on the North America Virtual Console. I will buy it and play it. I have 800 points ready to spend. :)

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

Excellent news. I've lost all interest in the franchise since its reboot in 2001 (?), but I'll be downloading both the SNES/GBC versions as I've always had a soft spot for the original game.

Kurachi

Kurachi said:

well, i may not be fan of prince of persia at all, but at least the wii's VC isnt dead yet, now just hope for games i DO like, and i could buy wii points again... when i have the money of course :p

go nintendo :)

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

Glad to see Wii Virtual Console games coming back finally, and starting with a really good game to boot. I'm wondering if I should start hoping to see Yoshi's Island again...

antster1983

antster1983 said:

I lost many an hour to the Super Famicom version of Prince of Persia, yet never beat it properly. I know this time I'll do more of the same! :P

Betagam7

Betagam7 said:

Nice that Nintendo UK's website is promoting every digital release EXCEPT the Wii VC one.
Just like it FAILED TO MENTION the last EU VC release that came onto the service half a year ago!
Does it want people to be aware that this service even exists?

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Maybe Nintendo made an accident, & woke the Wii VC up. It was never "dead", in a sense, as the servers never died, they just got static, & stale; un-updated.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

@90 (Pj1) When the EU Wii shop gets new games, they're not normally added on until 12am Thursday night/Friday morning UK time. Try again after midnight or tommorow. :)

SNK

SNK said:

is there blood in this version,because i remember there was in the japanese version but wasnt in the original pal version?

Ren

Ren said:

wow, this takes me back. I had this way back and it was one of the first import games I played. Tough as nails but the animation was so nice to look at for it's time.

Klaarover

Klaarover said:

I always thought that the SNES movement didn't gel as well as the pc version, but it might have something to do with PAL.