E3 2010: Ocarina of Time for 3DS

Posted by James Newton

Breaking news: classic title on the way to 3DS

StarFox 64, Kid Icarus, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart and Resident Evil for the 3DS might sound like an impressive line-up, but do you know what it's missing? A splash of Zelda. Well, here comes a little-known title called Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, heading to your 3DS.

That's right: one of Link's greatest-ever adventures is heading to 3DS, looking sharper and better than ever, not to mention the addition of 3D elements too of course.

Interestingly this title is nowhere to be found in Nintendo's official press pack, but was found by a little URL jiggery-pokery. It speaks volumes of the strength of Nintendo's E3 showing, however, when it can keep quiet about a handheld remake of one of its greatest-ever games.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

I hope they use the Master Quest version of the dungeons, since I never got around to playing that remix.

TheBeyond

TheBeyond said:

OMGOMGOMGOMG! OMG! I've been waiting so long for this! It's going to be spectacular!

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

Nice graphics, but I really could care less. I don't really see how 3d/smoothed out jaggies will make the game any better. I'd rather just be able to download VC games on the 3DS. It'll depend on what they add, but I imagine I'll be sticking to my GCN OoT/MQ disc.

ASDFGHJKL

ASDFGHJKL said:

They did say they were releasing more info daily. THey might have just saved this one for later.

OldBoy

OldBoy said:

OMFG!!! Tooooooo muuuuuch awwwwwwwesome newwwwwwwws head explodes
looks beautiful.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

I thought they didn't want to remake this game? Not that I'm complaining, but I AM surprised.

nintendogamerftw

nintendogamerftw said:

Too many announcements! I'm going to shut off my computer and walk away now before I die of anticipation. (I mean it too)

Link-Hero

Link-Hero said:

Wow, so much awesome news is coming out all at once. The universe might implode if this continues.:P

Swiket

Swiket said:

It's routine for Nintendo to use tech demos like this at the launch of new hardware just for showcasing purposes and this one should not, yet, be taken as an indicator of a potential new title.

Nintendo Life, jumping to conclusions with URL jiggery-pokery since 2005.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Too much, Nintendo is killing us with all these amazingly awesome announcements and showings. Nintendo brought E3 back to it's roots!

SpriteKing

SpriteKing said:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH!!!!
WHEN IS 3DS COMING OUT XO
(I'm gonna be friggin broke after I buy all this 3DS stuff.)

Atlantis1982

Atlantis1982 said:

Ugh, just give us our Virtual Console/Portable on the 3DS. Even if it means just jaggy looking N64 graphics.

JakobG

JakobG said:

As if the other conferences weren't bad enough on their own., Nintendo makes them seem like they release Pong for toddlers (in 1080pi).
Today, Nintendo unleashed their ultimate power.
The 3DS already has twice the library of the Virtual Boy!

Smoke39

Smoke39 said:

OoT + smooth framerate = win

Also the updated graphics are sexy. I hope they do Majora's Mask, too!

King_Elemento

King_Elemento said:

Can we have a source link to this please on the Nintendo site?

But yeah, this is amazing news. I'd like this.

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH GOD DANG IT WHY NINTENDO WHY MUST YOU BRING THESE KIND OF NEWS IN MY FACE :p flatline

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

James, you forgot to mention PilotWings Resort, Paper Mario, Kingdom Hearts, Metal Gear Solid, Street Fighter IV, two Tom Clancy games, and Ridge Racer. Just a little mistake that I'd thought I'd tell you. ;)

Croz

Croz said:

i'll need 2 jobs to afford all this new stuff, well i think nintendo won E3.

Tannman42

Tannman42 said:

My and my little sister saw this news together, our jaws and eyeballs dropped to the floor!!! GREATEST E3 EVER!!!

JimLad

JimLad said:

This has no effect on me...

because I've already exploded into a puddle of man juice on the floor.
Seriously what's next?... "Nintendo On was real!"

mecoy

mecoy said:

see the reason i havent played it yet is because i knew this would happen

Knux

Knux said:

I wanted this masterpiece remade on the 3DS, and it looks like my wish was granted. I wonder what new features/dungeons we will see in this remake? :D

Var

Var said:

I cannot fathom the words to describe how amazed I am at the launch titles, and the fact they are releasing Ocarina of Time on it is just...beyond words.
I always wanted OoT and MM on DS but am I ever glad they are releasing OoT on 3DS, portable Ocarina with improved graphics! YES PLEASE!

Aenaida

Aenaida said:

Already played and beat OoT more than once. No reason for me to pick up a graphically souped-up version.

Curt

Curt said:

Until we get an announcement from Nintendo, I won't believe this.

HanuKwanzMasBif

HanuKwanzMasBif said:

Wait a minute... could this mean, alongside Star Fox... VIRTUAL HANDHELD WITH UPDATED GRAPHICS WOO EFFING HOO! THIS IS THE BEST YEAR EVER!

Anotheralex_x

Anotheralex_x said:

@61 ^ I agree ^

If this wasn't one of the games listed on Nintendo's E3 website then it's probally not true.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

guys, it's not April 1st. there are quite a few games listed in the press kit that weren't announced in the conference. Ocarina 3DS is being shown at the roundtable discussion Corbie is at right now.

MrWout

MrWout said:

E3 just got another 30% more awesome :D
But this means I'll have to stop replaying it on my N64 and save the awesomeness for when this arrives :)

B-ry

B-ry said:

I missed out on ooc, so this is really awesome. Plus, if it sells well and is well received, it might convince sony to finally remake final fantasy 7 ;) It's almost a sure thing; they are such biters they'll almost definitely steal the idea of re-releasing their most legendary rpg.

Alphack3r

Alphack3r said:

I'm gunna die.
Actually, I was seriously considering switching to 360/microsoft but lemme tell ya why I won't (at least for a long while)...
Sure awesome games & all that good stuff keep me in, but an enormous factor was right here, Nintendolife. There is nothing that remotely compares to NL for the Xbox community! We should feel sorry for them...lol NOT xD
Praise aside, I must say that I will never forsake Nintendo because of one franchise...& that franchise is none other than The Legend of Zelda! Zelda, to me, defines my side of Nintendo, my niche. It's my place in the video-gaming world! Play a Zelda today, you'll thank me.

Fuzzy

Fuzzy said:

Ocarina is a game that i always enjoy replaying every now and again, so Im definitely excited about this. Maybe an extra dungeon or two? Maybe you can actually get the triforce? :P

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

@67:

Still what? Why would a tech demo they had no intention of showing outside the studio get its own page on Nintendo's website? I think it was pretty safe to conclude they were doing something with it if they've got advertising elements online and set to be linked to.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

The best game ever just got a little bit better today. I think im gonna cry!T_T

@B-ry Hey final fantasy 7 is square not sony so they could remake it for the 3ds how exciting would that be! It wouldmake me very happy:)

Rensch

Rensch said:

Yes! YES! YEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!!!! The greatest game ever on the go! OMGOMGOMG YES!!!!!

Just10

Just10 said:

Wow. That looks amazing. I've been waiting for this type of Zelda remake since Super Mario 64 DS was released.

Markystal

Markystal said:

...I'm going to have to get another job to afford this along with the other 3ds must buys.

@Tech101
Screwattack said on hard news that square says a FF7 remake could take approximately 40 years to make so... get ready to wait.

Tri4ceHolder

Tri4ceHolder said:

Yes lets spend another $35 to get a game we all have already beat and have either on Wii, 64 or even Gamecube. Wow.

super-nintendo

super-nintendo said:

faints

Guys this will be rendered in 3D, that alone makes this worthwhile. Also, the controls will be updated and the water temple will be the way they always wished they made it. Go read this at Nintendo.com.

beauhappyday

beauhappyday said:

"Check out the screenshots below and start imagining how much better your life will be when you're able to play Ocarina of Time on the move in 3D."

And on the potty! :D

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

This game better have a better frame rate rather than the 'chuggy below 30fps original'