Wii U Sales Continue to Rise with the Release of Hyrule Warriors – 3DS Sales Also Strong

Posted by Alex Olney

Yokai Watch 2 still top banana

Hyrule Warriors was released in Japan last week, and it appears that the unprecedented level of promotion and advertising the game received has paid off. The crossover game holds second place in Japan's charts this week with just shy of 70,000 copies sold. This is certainly a promising figure, and we can only hope for a similarly positive sales report when the game hits Western shops.

Yokai Watch 2 is still in the lead spot, dwarfing all of the competition with nearly 120,000 copies sold this week. Mario Kart 8 has increased its sales by roughly 8,000 compared to last week, and unexpectedly Animal Crossing: New Leaf has seen a return to the charts.

Nintendo's two consoles have managed to muscle their way up to take the top five positions for software this week – a terrifically encouraging statistic. You can see all the sales below with lifetime sales in brackets.

1. [3DS] Yokai Watch 2: Ganso / Honke – 118,526 (2,212,518)
2. [Wii U] Hyrule Warriors – 69,090 (New)
3. [3DS] Yoshi’s New Island – 29,933 (144,162)
4. [Wii U] Mario Kart 8 – 28,221 (627,635)
5. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission 2 – 27,273 (108,857)
6. [PSV] Monster Hunter Frontier G Beginners Package – 21,169 (New)
7. [PS3] Ultra Street Fighter IV – 11,604 (53,931)
8. [3DS] Taiko Drum Master: Don and Katsu’s Space-Time Great Adventure – 10,879 (138,721)
9. [3DS] Yokai Watch – 10,420 (1,245,042)
10. [3DS] Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson – 9,624 (56,119)
11. [3DS] Pokemon Art Academy – 6,644 (91,232)
12. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V Low Price Version – 6,286 (45,283)
13. [3DS] Pokemon X / Y – 6,053 (4,127,888)
14. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 – 5,535 (2,368,112)
15. [3DS] Mario Party: Island Tour – 4,728 (423,075)
16. [3DS] Gundam Try Age SP – 4,705 (41,748)
17. [PSV] Freedom Wars – 4,542 (280,209)
18. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf – 4,447 (3,774,698)
19. [PSV] Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment – 3,984 (238,539)
20. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 – 3,796 (3,327,503)

Hardware sales show an increase for all systems bar the PlayStation 3. The Wii U shows a massive 35% increase in units sold with the 3DS LL not far behind with a 30% rise. Hyrule Warriors and Yokai Watch 2 are undoubtedly the reason behind these encouraging numbers, and with Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS not far away, you could safely expect similar if not larger increases in the sales of these two consoles.

Check out the full hardware sales below for yourself – last week's sales are in brackets.

1. 3DS LL – 42,365 (33,172)
2. PlayStation Vita – 20,825 (17,084)
3. Wii U – 18,161 (13,598)
4. 3DS – 9,429 (7,873)
5. PlayStation 4 – 6,913 (5,470)
6. PlayStation 3 – 6,260 (6,486)
7. PlayStation Vita TV – 1,491 (1,344)
8. PSP – 416 (301)
9. Xbox 360 – 160 (151)

Does the impending arrival of Nintendo's fighting crossover fill you with confidence for these machines? Let us know!

[via gematsu.com]

onery

onery said:

Find it surprising when stuff like: "HYRULE WARRIORS HAD A BETTER DEBUT THAN ZELDA WIND WAKER HD IN JAPAN" gets headlines... I mean really now? Something completely new and different having a better initial reception than something old and revamped? Regardless, the up trend for the WiiU is a great positive for Nintendo, let's hope it translates well when crossing regions...

nik1470

nik1470 said:

No bad considering it was a holiday weekend where retail is known to be slower than usual.

Punished_Boss_84

Punished_Boss_84 said:

That is almost equal to Mario Kart 8's initial hardware bump, a bigger franchise than Zelda Warriors... That is strange :| Zelda Warriors also debuted lower than other 'warrior' games. When is Bayonetta 2 launching in Japan to maintain this?

The handhelds are leading as expected. Things aren't bad, they aren't very good compared to last year...

ghasfarost

ghasfarost said:

Wished to have a Japanaese WiiU to download Hyrule Warriors ... U_U oh hell, what am i thinking? why not, not having region lock instead?!

Rafie

Rafie said:

Very good Nintendo. I'm proud!

However, I want to know the REAL reason why the new COD isn't coming to Wii U. Wii U sales are very good and 3DS sales are right on par with PS4 and even better at times. What's going on?!

Blast

Blast said:

@dumedum Well, I'm not really laughing at the PS4. It just shows the downside to being so western. PS4 is selling well everywhere else except Japan because it so western. It really does seem like Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy XV are the biggest Japanese games coming to the console.... which is good and bad at the same time. But I'm sure Japanese developers will come to PS4 over time.

MoonKnight7

MoonKnight7 said:

Those are respectable numbers. If I remember correctly, MK8 sold about 20,000 Wii U's when it launched, so the fact that this could almost match that number is impressive. It's not often we get good news nowadays so lets relish in it. :)

As a side note, Yokai Watch 2 is a beast. Level 5 has to be very happy.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

@Punished_Boss I'm guessing console exclusive is the reason why HW had a lower start than other multi-platform titles. Looking further down the top 20, more than a few have less than.70k lifetime sales despite being out for a while.
Also, that Yokai Watch series is making big money.

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

@Rafie EDIT: Just saw the news. Bummer. 1 more reason to get a PS4 now lol.

@ghasfarost Region lock is the biggest anti consumer BS EVER. I love Nintendo, but sometimes I really want to punch them in the face for stupid policies like this.

As for Hyrule Warriors, 70k on it's opening week is pretty awesome! Those numbers are impressive for such a niche tittle.

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

Not bad at all! But, the real question is how will the legs on Hyrule Warriors play out??? Warriors is pretty popular in Japan so I'll keep an eye out over the next 2-3 weeks.

horseboxjohn

horseboxjohn said:

The game I am looking forward to is Devil's Third. I have COD Black Ops 2 which is fine and I'll get COD Ghosts at some stage. I don't really need any more than that. Devil's Third could be a real dark horse that could put COD in the corner for me.

Yasume

Yasume said:

I'm sorry, but those Hyrule Warriors numbers are pretty bad, especially when Koei stated that they expect it to be a million seller. Let's compare it to other launch week Musou PS3 games in Japan.

Zelda Musou (WiiU) 78,773 (Mediacreate)

Gundam Musou (PS3) 170,725
Gundam Musou 2 (PS3) 176,448
Gundam Musou 3 (PS3) 185,908
Shin Gundam Musou (PS3) 126,019

Hokuto Musou (PS3) 385,295
Shin Hokuto Musou (PS3) 116,431

One Piece Kaizoku Musou (PS3) 655,774
One Piece Kaizoku Musou 2 (PS3) 269,035

Some of them had a lower install base than the Wii U during that time and they still curbstomp Hyrule Warriors's performance.

Laxeybobby

Laxeybobby said:

I don't expect to see any advertising for this or any other WiiU title in the UK.
I have this on pre order only through the coverage on this site and Nintendo Direct.

MoonKnight7

MoonKnight7 said:

@Yasume

I think you're perhaps looking at this too much at face value. It's a spinoff with Zelda characters, therefore it isn't an apples to apples comparison. Don't forget that Zelda isn't nearly as popular in Japan as it is elsewhere, so the lower numbers are to be expected. It should get pretty close to the 1 million mark from a worldwide standpoint. I think this not because of it being a Dynasty Warriors game, but because it's being marketed as a Zelda spinoff in the other territories.

Personally, I think it did perfectly fine. What amazes me even more however, is that this title sold almost as many Wii U's as MK8 did in it's launch week. That's quite impressive for a spinoff title.

EnyoTheFirst

EnyoTheFirst said:

11. [3DS] Pokemon Art Academy – 6,644 (91,232)
12. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V Low Price Version – 6,286 (45,283)

This amuses me.

Rafie

Rafie said:

@Punished_Boss I thought Ghost did wonderful for the Wii U, in terms of attach rates to the game. I see people playing online all the time with that game. I guess times are changing. The Wii U is in a bad place with 3rd party support. The bad part about this is that it was Activision's decision not to put it on the system. Seeing as sales for the game are stagnant, then it's no wonder they don't wanna release a port.

This with other news that Ubisoft won't put anymore "mature" games after Watch Dog on the Wi U anymore is unsettling.

Rafie

Rafie said:

@Jazzer94 Yeah I see that now. I just thought that it was...customary, so to speak, about releasing the game on a Nintendo console although the sales aren't as strong as the others. I guess Activision had enough.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

69k is a nice start for a week. Hopefully there will be word of mouth and it will sell well for a couple of months over there.

In America, it's going to need to pull 300k first month at least, and UK at least 100k first month to really start considering it a success story.

rjejr

rjejr said:

"The Wii U shows a massive 35% increase in units sold"

Hey Alex, was that for me? After you down played last weeks nearly 50% Wii U increase by saying, and I quote:

"Wii U. The latter has had a small spike of interest with nearly 5,000 additional units sold compared to last week"

additional 5,00 Wii U sold last week = "small spike"
additional 5,00 Wii U sold this week = "massive"

Statistics, gotta love'em.

And I'll take 70k copies sold of a mash up, that probably put off both Zelda fans and mosou fans, w/ whatever the Wii U install base is in Japan.

Oh, and Wii U was this><close to DOUBLING PS4 sales. gotta love that too.

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

Good for them but i'm really sad cause of @Punished_Boss link to an article that states the wiiu is not getting the new COD.Wow nintendo is really alone now, that they are not getting a simple port of a shooter.What is nintendo going to do about this nothing.

Yosher

Yosher said:

Good for the Wii U! Not quite the bump it needs quite yet but it's getting there.

Also how is the craptastic YNI selling so well? Did not expect it to be even in the top 10, let alone top 3.

Emblem

Emblem said:

@Yasume Did you really just compare 3 of the biggest Manga's (+Animes) Musou games to a Zelda Musou game? I'm not sure how much you know about Japan or those IPs but they have massive followings. (no offensive implied)
Everyone in Japan knows those franchises, Zelda doesn't even come close. Not to mention the fact that Playstation is the known home of the Mosou games or the fact that Japan got several hotly anticipated Mosou games this year and have more incoming before 2015.

There are just too many factors that don't match up to do a comparison that holds any weight. It really is an apples to oranges comparison.

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

@Emblem Not to mention the home console market was in a different state then. It's a lot smaller in Japan than it used to be.

Embassy

Embassy said:

I would like to be the first to officially congratulate the PS4 for finally overtaking the PS3 in weekly sales for the first time since launch! Way to go PS4!

Mooj738

Mooj738 said:

Real question was it stocked well enough in the stores, did the main stores run out ?

Not worried about the other games and their success 70k is strong

Mooj738

Mooj738 said:

The success of previous launchs that are mentioned is irelavent in a huge sense based on the fact that gundam and one piece are massive in every way if anything those launch week figures are rubbish for such solid established franchises that have massive series arcs

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

It's good to see the console still selling well over in Japan. Hopefully this will mean that we may sell at least continued Japanese developer support for it since it is apparent that the big three Western developers are stopping the life-support trickles (Ubisoft, Activision) or just gone (EA).

hydeks

hydeks said:

you know, I think Wii U would be the best console this generation if it just had the third party support.

@Windy whats with the hate on Microsoft with people lately? I love my Xbox One, the PS4 is a real peice of $h*t :-P

madyik18

madyik18 said:

@Yasume uhm, you're comparing lifetime sales of these games vs first week sales, and this is not even out in the uk and west yet.. I bet it will surpass most of the games you mentioned.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@Yasume I'm sorry but I don't think you have your facts straight, and I seriously doubt that Koei said they expected this to sell a million on release in Japan if so that's ridiculous

eltomo

eltomo said:

I went into Game today and they had 4 upcoming Wii U releases in a row, Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta, Toad and Smash Bro's. What a great lineup it appeared just lined there!

Then xbox and ps4, cod and fifa... Shocking. No wonder they're aren't selling as well in Japan.

JarredBuzzo

JarredBuzzo said:

@Rafie, I wonder the same thing. It's self-fulfilling prophesy at its finest with some of these third party publishers. They treat Nintendo fans like they ONLY own Nintendo systems, so they give us crap, and expect us to buy it.

Sometimes I think there is something going on behind closed doors we don't know about with a lot of third party publishers and Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft.

DaemonSword

DaemonSword said:

It's sad how Activision and Ubi are giving up on WiiU based on 2012-2013 sales. Everyone, keep buying the system and the games, esp Bayonetta 2 and Devil's Third!! Let's make them regret overreacting too quickly, that mature games can and will sell great on this system in 2014 and beyond. And again, BUY DEVIL'S THIRD (and WatchDogs too), it will be the only version of a COD type game we will ever have for a while!!!

andrea987

andrea987 said:

@Daisaku36 They're big businesses, of course there are things (private agreements, old grudges, corruption and so on) we (the public) don't know about. And that's being conservative...

Action51

Action51 said:

My theory on third party development is this:

1) Nintendo has always played hardball with third parties, and they took way too long to change, and still haven't changed. Also, there is the fact that Nintendo first party games are hard to compete with.

2) Sony and Microsoft are bitter competitors, but more as global tech companies then video game console developers. In their desire to crush one another, they have been throwing money at the mega publishers while essentially building consoles around the whims of Ubisoft, Activision, and EA. This strategy is not really sustainable for a company that is primarily a video games company.

I think we're going to see Microsoft throw more gobs of cash at developers like they did with Crystal Dynamics to get the next Tomb Raider. Microsoft can afford to soak up a few dozen subsidized major software failures before they even flinch.

S3OL

S3OL said:

Yokai Watch, oh how I love seeing you sitting up top each week.

Good start for Hyrule Warriors! Can't wait till it hits the west!

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Rafie That's a good question- I know the last one didn't do well at all though, and I'm sure that's a major factor.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@LDXD I think they said they hope to hit 1 million globally, certainly not all at launch though. This is one of those games with Evergreen traits. Six months from now, I can see this game well above half a million sales. One year from now, who knows? I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility....

VIIIAxel

VIIIAxel said:

It's great to know that Hyrule Warriors is boosting Wii U sales in Japan. Hope it does the same internationally!

HAL9000

HAL9000 said:

I am getting 2 copies. One for my home Wii U and one for my school Wii U to play at videogame club for my students (local multiplayer for the win).

I am very excited for this game and it will have good legs with Zelda branding. I am confident they will get to a million worldwide.

Nice to see a hardware bump for Wii U.

ben-

ben- said:

@Yasume 1. I dont think any of those games shipped to a lower install base. 2 It was obon where many families and people are not at home, they are visiting elderly relatives. So home console sales were bound to be low. 3. 70 000 in Japan week one is not bad at all. I'm sure they would have liked 100 000 but mid summer is not a good release spot and the game, while good, is pretty small in comparison to the established Musou games, which recyle old character models and level designs.

ben-

ben- said:

@HAL9000 For your school I recommend you make a leader board for adventure mode. You can keep a record of who can complete a level the quickest with the most rupies. I have this game and it is pretty fun.

Windy

Windy said:

@hydeks Take it easy I was joking because of Nintendo Doom and gloom. Sorry for the confusion. I thought it might be funny. I happen to think the Xbox systems are excellent. Heck I even think the PlayStation systems are good. Its just all about what you like.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

I'm seeing the future. All future poor selling franchises on Nintendo consoles will be wrapped up in either a Zelda or Mario finish.

Pikmin should be the next to have a LOZ theme. ;)

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

@Action51 In order for 3rd parties to support Nintendo home consoles, Nintendo would have to change who they are, bend over for them, and make their 1st party offerings minimal so that the 3rd parties can be top dog on Nintendo platforms.

3rd parties want an oligopoly in the home console market. They have one now in everything from platform holders (Sony, Microsoft) to retailers (Gamestop) to even the media. Nintendo is the only thing outside of this oligopoly. By giving Nintendo platforms the abuse they have been, they're attempting to force Nintendo out of the market as they are a threat. Nintendo is capable of surviving without 3rd party support. Xbox and PlayStation are not.

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

@jj87 I would like to request you change your profile picture immediately. If you even think that Link says anything, you are undeserving of showing off an NES controller, the HOLY GRAIL of Nintendo icons...

Action51

Action51 said:

@IceClimbers - So you think the Playstation and Xbox brands let the Mega publishers name their prices and essentially start calling the shots across all platforms to the point where they now determine the fate of consoles instead of the other way around?

I might not be so conspiratorial, but I think that is the basic essence of what has happened, especially in the west as video games became more mainstream and bigger dollars were at stake.

realar

realar said:

Hey Nintendo, WHERE'S YOKAI WATCH IN THE STATES?!
Besides that and FLIPNOTE STUDIO 3D, I'm happy that the U is getting its boost of popularity. Once again, Nintendo is doing great! I'm now itching for the next Direct, COME ON NINTENDO! I'm dying for new info on Yokai Watch, Splatoon, a 'new' character reveal for Smash Bros, another Mega Evolution for OR/AS, and much more!

allplatfrmgamer

allplatfrmgamer said:

@Yasume Those sales aren't bad considering it's a console exclusive where as the other games are multiplatform so higher sales on it's opening week is to be expected, just the fact that it out sold Wind Waker numbers is a good sign. Reaching it's one million mark shouldn't be a problem, considering it hasn't been released in other countries.
You know it's a good sign when a game pushes console sales up!
But I rather look at the game long term sales rather than opening weekend or week.

CTs_Lieutenant

CTs_Lieutenant said:

This is very welcome news and great to see MK8 getting a boost. With all the monthly titles being released for the rest of the year I can see MK8 continue to hang in for some time.

Which then begs the question...why did Nintendo create such a dry spell of releases this year? Maybe they wanted some space for MK8 to do well. Whatever the reason it was very bad planning on their part.

At least now there is a big release every month for the next six months, perhaps even ten or twelve. The Wii U future is looking good.

jj87

jj87 said:

@ben- I know link does not speak. I was referring to his battle cry when he swings his sword or any weapon. Its not in line with O.O.T, TWILIGHT PRINCESS, OR SKYWARD SWORD. its different.

jj87

jj87 said:

@B3ND3R OK let me clarify. I know link does not speak. What I was referring to was his battle cry when swinging his sword or any other weapon. Its not in line with O.O.T, TWILIGHT PRINCESS, OR SKYWARD SWORD. That's all I was saying. It just different. I like continuity.

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

Argh I want the game ASAP haha I am tired of avoiding certain websites due to spoilers. Though I actually only want to know IF there are hidden bonus characters to play as in the game. Not who but how many :P Anyone?

Josaku

Josaku said:

OK . . . This game will be bought on the 19.th of September, unpacked and jammed into my WiiU right away for the Upcomming LAN Party I was planing with my friends ^^

Yasume

Yasume said:

@madyik18 No, I'm not. They are all opening week sales.

@ben- No, it did have a lower install base. Remember that the PS3 pretty much bombed in its first 3 years.

I do agree that Zelda isn't nearly as big as Gundam or One Piece in Japan, but I wouldn't call it an apple vs. orange comparison. The genre is huge in Japan and every Wii U owner knows who Zelda is. Fact is that the Hyrule Warriors sales are low for its current install base, there is no way to spin around it.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@AlexOlney - Sorry, Wii U gets so little good news - ie see all the games it isn't getting - that I like to play up the good when I can, hyperbole is good here on Nintendo Life.

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

@jj87 UNLESS you get a skin for the old Links, from what I can tell the alternate skins also change the voice..

River3636

River3636 said:

Well I know in North America it is gonna sell like hot cakes. They can sell me turtle manure and wrap it in a Zelda skin and I would buy it.