Sonic Boom Release Dates Are Confirmed for Wii U and 3DS

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Official box art also released

Though we've known for a good while that the Sonic Boom games would come during Q4 to join an animated show, toy range and comic book series, official release dates have been held back. Sega's now lifted the lid.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric — developed by Big Red Button — will arrive on the Wii U on 18th November, with the official packshot (below) also released.

Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal — from Sanzaru Games — arrives on 3DS one week earlier, on 11th November, with its packshot also below.

This is likely to be right in the middle of Holiday silly-season for an excess of game releases, though Sega will no doubt be hoping that the brand — and TV show — can drive interest and sales; Nintendo will naturally hold the same hopes. These are the North American release dates, with European details to follow.

Are you excited about these titles and planning to pick them up in November? You can also see what we think of these games so far in our first impressions from E3.

Related Games

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

I may get the Wii U version however it's way too close to the (rumoured) release date of Smash Wii U (21st November). I'll have to see a release date for Captain Toad before I decide.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

I can't understand why all of the Wii U Sonic games have been slow especially this one just looks so slow, I'm just not keen on what I've seen doesn't really excite me at all.

ACK

ACK said:

Sonic just won't let you out of the store without Rise of Lyric...

rjejr

rjejr said:

Close enough to be under the Christmas tree, far enough out front to be a long T-day weekend rental. It's good to have the date.

"official release dates have been held back. "

Reading that on a Nintendo dedicated site, I'm not sure if it's meant to be hypocritical, nonsensical or sarcastic. Gotta mean something coming 20 minutes after a post about B2. ;-)

Gold

Gold said:

I thought it was Nov 14. Anyways, 3DS version looks better than Wii U version. Wii U version could break the Sonic Cycle, we know its crap before release. Hopefully Wii U version will bomb and Sega learns a lesson. At least try to make good Sonic games, like Colors and Generations. And I did enjoy the Lost World demo. Thats like the next Wii U game I'm planning on getting.

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

Damn November is a bad idea, cause it's going to go up against a lot of big names in that month. But let's see what happens though.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

Ooooh, November... AKA right in between Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U, that's going to sell a grand total of 0 copies ;P

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Definitely keeping an eye on the Wii U version. I found Sonic Lost World to be quite a bit better than the critics let on, so I don't think I'll bother waiting for reviews either.

Drac_Mazoku

Drac_Mazoku said:

Oh yeah, can't wait for those. Unlike many, I totally loved Sonic Lost World...I actually like most Sonic games (the last I truly hated was '06). But, I'm a Sega fanboy, so my opinion is VERY biased.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

If this one resembles Sonic Adventure, then count me in. But of course Smash and Captain Toad are my holiday priorities.

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

I want a good Sonic game on WiiU so badly. Based on the gameplay I've seen, I just don't think this will be it. Unfortunately, that lame cover art doesn't help assuage my fears at all.

Tritonus

Tritonus said:

I think these games look really promising. If the reviews are good I'll definitely get these.

twadezelda3dsxl

twadezelda3dsxl said:

I'm not looking forward to November. The 11th will be the release date of Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal, the 18th will be Sonic Boom: Rise Of Lyric and the 25th will be Pokemon: Omega Ruby and Pokemon: Alpha Sapphire. I might see if the Sonic games can be for Christmas as I won't be having anything bug this year after having a 3DS XL last year and the year before.

Riptide515

Riptide515 said:

This game feels like ratchet and clank jak and daxter type and i loved em. plus its sonic my favorite childhood game so its day one pick up for me! both 3ds and wiiU! keep em coming nintendo
Not cool, please refrain from slurs — TBD

Drobotic

Drobotic said:

Might have to preorder the Wii U version.Also,it'd be cool if the cartoon series released on the same day or sometime around that time.

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

Eh, I'll wait for reviews. Doubt I'll get either of them this year, though.

Naoiko

Naoiko said:

I'mma pass for now on these. The footage they've shown and the impression from E3 sorta made me wonder if Sega has dropped the ball again on figuring out why Sonic was so cool in the past. Sure their have been a few good/decent titles since the Gensis, but they have been reaally spotty as to when they show up.

tj3dsXL

tj3dsXL said:

Midnight Eshop release sale please ! "i'm gonna stay up all night 2nite" -Mii

Daruncic

Daruncic said:

All of the recent sonic games have been good, and these look wonderful. I'll be getting the Wii U game for sure. Though between these and Smash and Amiibo, my poor wallet!

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

I must thank SEGA for making me care so little about Sonic that I don't have to worry about spending my money on these.

hydeks

hydeks said:

I love Sonic, I grew up on Sonic, but what they have been doing to him lately really really makes me sad :-( Please for the love of god SEGA, make Sonic the way he use to be! Sonic Generations was great, why did you go to this from that?!?!?

Hero-of-WiiU

Hero-of-WiiU said:

If it looked good then yeah but forget it. I'm no sonic fan anyways.

I'll get bot Smash day one and everything else for the holiday.

Hero-of-WiiU

Hero-of-WiiU said:

If it looked good then yeah but forget it. I'm no sonic fan anyways.

I'll get bot Smash day one and everything else for the holiday.

NavySpheal

NavySpheal said:

@CaviarMeths It hurts to say that I agree with this guy. I have a hard time buying a Sonic game nowadays when the chance of the game being good is like flipping a coin.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I'm excited for these game, I'll buy both for sure. I hope we get the TV show here in Australia. Seems a simple matter to bring it to the Cartoon Network on Foxtel. Looking forward to the comics too.

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

I bet I will end up buying the WiiU version eventually, I can't resist Sonic games, and AAA games where you play as any other thing than humans are rare now a days... I miss those. How soon I buy it will depend on reviews and gameplay footage though.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

I'm trying to be excited, but Lost World 3DS left such a foul taste in my mouth, I only want to play 2D Genesis Sonic games right now.
I know I'm being harsh on Dimps and that I shouldn't be harsh on this dev as well without good reason, but Dimps has made me not want another 3DS Sonic game. I hope Shattered Crystal is as close to the Genesis games as they said, because I am not excited right now.

FragRed

FragRed said:

I wanted to love this game when Sonic Boom was first announced, but after seeing gameplay footage it just looks far too slow and, well to be honest, boring. But that is just my opinion and I hope to be proved wrong and I am sure others will certainly enjoy it.

Birthday_Boy

Birthday_Boy said:

Are you guys going to be reviewing the episodes?
We've seen you guys review several gaming related media like Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva, so I thought I would ask.

mch

mch said:

Rise of Lyric for the Wii U looks very good to me ..and I'm not into Sonic anymore since i used to play it on the Master System.

SATORUIWATA

SATORUIWATA said:

Why even release the game at this point no one wants it after the horrible things we've seen so far

SATORUIWATA

SATORUIWATA said:

Wildfire

Wildfire said:

I'm definitely going to grab Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric! And also can't wait to see the cartoon show!

HyperSonicEXE

HyperSonicEXE said:

The cartoon show is worth seeing out of all this. Should be fun.

But Shattered Crystal? Rise of Lyric?
This is DeviantArt-bad.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@SATORUIWATA - Its a game based on a tv show that hasn't even started yet but we already know we don't want the game?

For anybody who missed the memo - this is a Sonic game based on a kids cartoon, releasing only on 3DS and Wii U. It is not even being made by Sonic team, they are probably working on a true Sonic game for PS4 and X1, maybe even Wii U. This is a Sonic game like Starfox Adventures was a Starfox game. Or Sonic Adventure for thst matter. Did I mention its based on a as yet unreleased kids cartoon tv show? It might be good, it might be bad, it wont be a Sonic game.

SATORUIWATA

SATORUIWATA said:

@rjejr That logic makes no sense if you're going to make a game with an iconic character make it good, what if Nintendo made a horrible Mario game but then said, " its ok guys we based it off a trash can so it can be real bad "...

Drobotic

Drobotic said:

@SATORUIWATA
It's not like that.First off,this is not being developed by Sonic Team,so the Nintendo comparison is invalid.Second,it's a spin-off,so it doesn't have to be exactly like your old beloved Sonic,which is the point @rjejr made.Big Red Button is going to do their own thing with this game and its okay for them to do so.People from Naughty Dog are working on the game.I have faith in it.

DBPirate

DBPirate said:

Wii U version's only being released seven days after the 3DS one? That's a bit weird..

umegames

umegames said:

man WHY do they always release sonic in November!? its a busy month, pick another one liked October...i want both these but no way am i playing either of these over pokemon that month.

abbyhitter

abbyhitter said:

So that's both Sonic Booms, Pokemon Omega Ruby, Watch_Dogs, and Persona Q for me in November. Wow, my wallet will be hurting.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

I'm buying this for my son. Way too many games releasing in both October & November. This is definitely going to be tough on my wallet. Good thing my birthday is in October so I will be asking my parents for gift cards. Hopefully that will make my wallet hurt less. This looks like it will be a fun game though.

Zapkido

Zapkido said:

Definitely picking up Boom 3DS! The Wii U version looks kind of disappointing, so I may pass it up.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

So... I'll have both versions of this, Disney Infinity 2.0, both versions of Super Smash Bros., Amiibo, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (if it gets released before the end of the year)... my wallet is already screaming bloody murder.

GreatPlayer

GreatPlayer said:

@Jazzer94 Sonic Lost World balance between speed and platforming. Being slower for good!

The game reminds me of Sonic Unleashed. I actually did not dislike the Warhog stage. Brawling is pretty fun. I did not finish it, however, only because I found the graphics of this earlier entry worse than Sonic Colors and because the difficulty in some of the tasks in the game is high (more difficult than Sonic Lost World).

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

i thought this was old news, except the date I have is november 14... oh well (updates date)

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

If i had to choose one version just by looking at the boxart i'd go for the 3DS one. Sticks looks so much better than Amy.

GreatPlayer

GreatPlayer said:

By the way, if you play PC games, recently there is a release of a game called Freedom Planet. It borrows many ideas specifically from old Genesis games, and it plays like a combination of Sonic + Rocket Knight Adventure. There is a demo which you can easily google and download. I am a big fan of 2D platformer, and as such, I have a very high standard of this type of game. From the demo it has great level design.

Maybe it is time to support more Indie game from independent programmer as they are diversifying the gaming industry. Good to spend the time before Sonic Boom comes out!

rjejr

rjejr said:

@SATORUIWATA - ""if you're going to make a game with an iconic character make it good,"

Remember Starfox Adventures, which I still refer to as "Dinosaur Planet" b/c that's it's name, Starfox was tacked on late in development to sell it. If you played any of the original Spyro trilogy- back when it was great - or even the mediocre second set of games - then you would know Spyro was nothing like the Skylanders games, but they stuck him in there and called it Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure so it would have a marketable hook. And if you played the Ratchet and Clank games and then played R&C:All4One you would see how much they changed it up and most people didn't like it. (Save yourself the trouble and never ever play "Heroes on the Move" where Sony compeltley destroyed 3 of it's greatest platforming franchise characters.) And remember, Zelda 2 was nothing like Zelda.

As for this comment - "what if Nintendo made a horrible Mario game but then said, " its ok guys we based it off a trash can so it can be real bad "..."

I'm sure there must be a horrible Mario game out there, probably anybody can find one, Mario has been milked to death so hard and so often that it's blinded the Nintnedo fan boys to the point that they can't even see it - I'll just go w/ Dr. Mario, the Tetris clone, as 1 example. I'm sure you'll counter w some reality twisting Nintneo logic - "Dr. Mario isn't a REAL Mario game" - but you know what, Mario is in it, it's called Dr. MARIO - it's a Mario game, and it's made by Nintendo.

Mario also stars in Mario RPG, Paper Mario, Mario Sports Mix and assorted other sports games headlined with his name. I didn't even know he had his own pinball game, I think he was the pinball.

And Sonic Boom is a Sonic game, even if it's nothing at all like any Sonic before it.

@Drobotic - in case you're still interested.

Pod

Pod said:

Man, while this particular box isn't a very good composition, I can appreciate how much color is continuously pumped into Wii U cover art.

They're incredibly powerful on shelves next to most other games.

Danny429

Danny429 said:

Id get the 3ds version, if it wasn't right after smash for the 3ds release date.