Devil's Third Will Feature Chicken Gathering, Sports And An Epic Struggle To Liberate North America

Posted by Damien McFerran

"The game isn't just a simple shooter"

Devil's Third was one of the big shocks of E3 2014. The brainchild of former Team Ninja head Tomonobu Itagaki, it was previously announced for the PS3 and 360 but is now a Wii U exclusive.

Speaking to Famitsu, Itagaki has revealed a few more details regarding the game's story, gameplay modes and the process of working with Nintendo. Itagaki's reputation for mature themes in his games has led to speculation that Nintendo may ask him to rein in his creative urges, but he insists that this simply isn't the case; in fact, Nintendo has been more than happy for Itagaki to get up to his usual tricks:

I've been working with Mr. Hitoshi Yamagami of Nintendo, and at one point he said to me 'Why don't you bring out more of the Valhalla distinctiveness, the Japanese developer distinctiveness!?' I asked him, 'Is it really okay?' to which he went as far as to tell me, 'Of course it is! There's no reason for you to be working on the game otherwise! Nintendo isn't about being a certain way 'because it's Nintendo.' It's about 'What is a game? What is play?' and for the past few years, all we've discussed is what players are looking for.

The man who famously rebooted Tecmo's Ninja Gaiden also took time to speak about the gameplay of Devil's Third:

The game isn't just a simple shooter. This time, it takes place in North America and players partake in the North American campaign and try to survive. At first, you start from the position of a citizen, and all you have as weapons are metal pipes and normal guns. Insurgencies are happening everywhere, so you can try the road of the lone mercenary, or you can find allies and build up your own vigilante group or armed organization – clans or guilds, you could call them. So it's a massive shooter where tens of thousands of people play trying to control the North American land.

Up to 16 player versus modes will be featured, and Itagaki has also revealed that added that there will be more casual modes, such as "chicken gathering" and sports.

Grabbing flightless birds and shooting terrorists. It's a winning combo.

[via kotaku.com]

Lasermaster123

Lasermaster123 said:

This game is going to be pretty interesting, I loved Ninja Gaiden Black on my Xbox and can't wait to see how this game turns out. I would definitely purchase an amazing action game if this game is one.

And chicken gathering! :D

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

This game is looking fantastic in my eyes so I can't wait for its release next year. I'm sure I'll have alot of fun with this one.

FragRed

FragRed said:

I'm really interested in this game, but I'm going to wait to see the reviews before getting too excited.

ToniK

ToniK said:

I really dislike the main character but I'm still gonna check this out after some reviews.

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

Really the only thing, that might be "bad" in some people's eyes are the visuals imo. The gameplay looks hilarious (in a good way ;)) and I'm actually looking forward to it. Not hyped (yet? :D), but I'm super interested to see how this'll turn out

Mercy_Lost

Mercy_Lost said:

This sounds like the type of game that will benefit from youtube and twitch exposure, no doubt the 'viral-ability' of this game has increased being co-deved with ninty!

Andyliini

Andyliini said:

Hmm... Sounds interesting.

I love how there ase still developers who put out a game like this but don't take themselves too seriously. Perhaps that's the reason I generally like more Japanese games. They are not all dark and serious.

arnoldlayne83

arnoldlayne83 said:

can't wait for this to come out.... the multi looks very promising... definitely one of my must have for 2015

outburst

outburst said:

I'm confused. So which game could you compare this to? Online shooter? MMO shooter like planetside 2? GTA with online features? Coop shooter like borderlands?

ModestFan93

ModestFan93 said:

Please let Cuckoos make a guest appearance. Please let Cuckoos make a guest appearance as they rise to power!

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

Cant wait to try this out. Its refreshing to see such an over the top action game which doesnt take itself too seriously, seems like a rare thing these days!

readyletsgo

readyletsgo said:

Still unsure about this game. will wait a few weeks after release (2015?) and see what the players say about it.

Emblem

Emblem said:

@outburst Maybe planetside 2 + War frame for multiplayer. Story is self contained in its own mode. Its essentially 2 games like COD where story and multi are seperate. At least that's how it seems to me so far.

MoonKnight7

MoonKnight7 said:

Personally, I'm not really interested, but I certainly hope it sells well. It's nice to see some more mature content on the system.

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

I really hope they add taunts, so we can have the chicken dance taunt that Eiji Aonuma did.Which would be awesome!!

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

Sounds interesting, seems like it could have an actual decent storyline underpinning it. Would have to watch a review or rely on a 7 day no questions asked returns policy though.

LUIGITORNADO

LUIGITORNADO said:

I think the game looks like bum. Not just visually, but stylistically. I hate how some Japanese devs try to be edgy and mix western and eastern influences together, more on point, trying to capture Tarantino's style.

It just comes off as completely hammy and stupid. Hey, Japan, no one thinks cigarette smoking is cool anymore! Nor is wearing sunglasses morning, noon, and night.

Idiots.

shigulicious

shigulicious said:

@LUIGITORNADO I agree. I'm not interested in this title at all, yet. I said the same thing about Hyrule Warriors though and my hype level with that one increases every day. We will see. A mature, multiplayer online experience is rare for Nintendo so I'm hoping that the game succeeds.

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

I'm gonna buy this game just so I can shove it in someone's face when they say "Dawg, Wii U has no mature games!"

Sugar_Crunch_BD

Sugar_Crunch_BD said:

I have a feeling if this came out on PC/new gen consoles everyone would dismiss it. People only pay any attention because it is an exclusive, although it is shaping up to be better. Hopefully the reviews deliver good news.

TromboneGamer

TromboneGamer said:

This is fine and dandy but why haven't we heard any official confirmation of a release date or at the very least a release window?

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

@TromboneGamer
Just a guess but it will probably fill a gap between those early 2015 games if Nintendo is going to hype the game for it's release date. Or later this year if ready but Bayonetta is in October and Brawl is November/December so I doubt this year.

But I haven't even seen speculation like that and through the IGN thing he kept mentioning that it was early.

Hero-of-WiiU

Hero-of-WiiU said:

I hope they take there time and make this great. The nice thing is they can do that with little fans asking for a early release date. I have good expectations for this.

"No.. not a cat."

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

Looks slightly better than last time I saw it, but still looks like a game that everyone returns after only a couple hours of gameplay. I'll see wut the reviewers say but still think its a pass.

Leu10antFalcon

Leu10antFalcon said:

I'm not passing on Devil's Third because the play control and the truckload of options in online multi-player. And do I hear that you can gather chicken? Well blow me down, Popeye! As soon as Nintendo SPD smooth out the graphics and framerate, I'm buying DT next year!

Shambo

Shambo said:

This game is really high on my wishlist. I love it when developers go all-out with experimentation, fun, comedy, violence,... Like Madworld, No More Heroes,... And the very best perhaps: Killer 7. This looks to be a great add to that list.

Hopefully the chickens attack in massive flocks when attacked themselves...

phaserborn

phaserborn said:

I see Ninja Gaiden and Wolfenstein DNA. Not crazy about it personally but I hope this game helps out the Wii U sales.

reali-tglitch

reali-tglitch said:

This is my most anticipated 3rd party title, at the moment.

The multiplayer looks like it could be absolutely stellar.