Wii Sports Club Retail Version Hits North America on 25th July

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Baseball and Boxing arrive as downloads on 26th June

Just yesterday Nintendo of Europe confirmed details for a Wii Sports Club retail version along with release dates for the final two downloadable parts — Wii Sports Club: Baseball and Wii Sports Club: Boxing. Nintendo of America has now joined in, with some slightly different release details.

To start with the downloads, they'll be available from 26th June from 6pm Pacific time, though no equivalent has been announced of the 48 hour free trial being offered in Europe. In the press release this is really a side-note, though we'd expect the same prices for the two final entries — $1.99 for a day pass or a permanent club pass for $9.99.

The retail version with all five games will arrive in North America two weeks later than in Europe, on 26th July. Yesterday we suggested that those keen to own all five but yet to dive into downloads may be advised to wait, and that is certainly the case in North America — the retail version will have a recommended price of $39.99, a $10 saving off buying the five downloads separately.

As mentioned yesterday, Baseball will play rather like it's original E3 2011 demonstration — you bat with Wii MotionPlus and and field (pitching and catching) using the GamePad screen and motion control. Boxing could be interesting this time around as you can use a MotionPlus Remote in each hand, so you can accurately punch an opposing Mii in the face.

Are you tempted by the final two entries or the retail disc? Let us know.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

Wondering if NoA will be offering some sort of promotion for those who have purchased all 3 so far?

Gold

Gold said:

Planning on getting this when it's cheaper. I can go out to Bargain Hunt and get Wii Sports for $5.

freaksloan

freaksloan said:

I already have Bowling, I will wait till I can get it for less than $20 on Amazon Warehouse Deals.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

Well, I already paid for bowling, so I'm thinking I'll just wait until later in June and download the rest.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

I'm going to get the retail version seeing as I took the sensible approach and waited. I've never been too terribly excited about these games anyway, but they are an essential for family gaming!

Heiki

Heiki said:

I'm getting this. Glad I only paid for Tennis.
Now give us a retail release for NES Remix!

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Again, glad that I held off on getting any sport. I will get this disc version. The physical version comes later, but it has the benefit of being cheaper.

I hope there is a trial when the sports are available for download.

Hikingguy

Hikingguy said:

About time. I know this will be the best version of these games, but I hesitate to run out and buy this because this will be the 3rd time I am buying a few of these games (Bowling, Golf).
But this is a great game for some family night fun.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Glad to see Reggie finally woke up from his west coast slumber. Maybe he's suffering from too much 2nd hand smoke of the recently legalized kind.

Good call on the "gut feel" price cut @ThomasBW84

$40 doesn't' seem too bad considering the "free" online. $249 Wii U bundle for the holidays and we can find out for certain if the casuals are ever coming back. I still think for $249 w/ online bowling they will. Not everybody in those old age homes owns smartphones.

outburst

outburst said:

Awwwww... 40$. Good for those who waited for the physical copy.

Now waiting for Nintendo to announce buy 3 and get 2 for free if you buy on eshop. (I wish) :D

SavoirFaire

SavoirFaire said:

@Heiki Seconded!

I consider my 32 GB precious space, and am always going to pick the physical copy over the digital. If they flatly declared "no physical for NES remixs" then I would go ahead and buy them digitally.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

I'd be inclined to buy the disc if it came with a free Wiimote but it might be best to go digital if there's a promotion for people who already bought a game....

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

I might have to buy this! I bough the bowling version, digital... but have waited on buying the others for some reason. Now I know!. :D

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

For digital folks (like me), remember the digital deluxe promotion essentially knocks $5 off buying all five sports, i.e. 10% off $50, so that'll help soften the price difference a bit!

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I'll get the retail version at some point since the only sport I paid for was Bowling. Here's hoping the online for Boxing for really smooth with all the time they took themselves to make!

Yosher

Yosher said:

If this retail version comes to Europe for €40, I'm not buying. I refuse to pay that much for something that was initially only a showcase tech-demo with online thrown in. The highest I'll purchase this for is €30, not one cent more.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

And I will finally be buying this. Love me my physical releases. And cheaper than digital! Awesomeness.

Tops

Tops said:

I'm not sure this is something I need more of but at least the price is relatively reasonable

blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd said:

I think I will get it....if not at launch once I see it on sale.

I always felt the digital prices were way too high.

skjia

skjia said:

Well I already purchased three of them... so no physical for me. Like others have mentioned, hopefully Nintendo offers some kind of promotion. Own 4 get the 5th free or something along those lines.

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

Boxing and Baseball are the only other two I am interested in, and in the long run I would rather have them available at the push of a button than to have to go swap out discs.

Now if they would just fix the stupid Nintendo account system to not lock things on a console...

BertoFlyingFox

BertoFlyingFox said:

Tennis and baseball are the only games I ever really liked in wii sports, so I might pick up the baseball download eventually.

Ryno

Ryno said:

@rjejr: Yes, we are all stuck in the haze of second hand smoke here in the home of Nintendo. Afterall, it's not called the Evergreen State for nothing. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm hungry and need to find something to eat. ;)

absuplendous

absuplendous said:

Welcome news, as it more or less assures that I'll eventually own these games at one point or another. I would love to see this prompt a sale or reduced price in the digital versions, however; this feels like a game that belongs "in" the console, accessible any time. A physical release costing more than a digital download just doesn't make sense.

@faint @aaronsullivan Stores routinely run sales and specials on games. I'd count on this being discounted during the holiday season at the latest.

PuppyToucher

PuppyToucher said:

I am looking forward to the physical release of this, but what I really want to see are some mario sports games. I want mario strikers, golf, and tennis for the wii u to all come out next year.

LawRulesALL

LawRulesALL said:

The only game that I disliked in the original for Wii was golf. This will be the version I'll be getting once I get a U.

james_squared

james_squared said:

Assuming Nintendo does that free pass thing with these two, I'll try them out. I'm not too sure I'd get them as I really didn't like baseball or boxing on the Wii.

MixMasterMudkip

MixMasterMudkip said:

I honestly hated both Golf and Tennis. I feel like since your swinging direction matters in both Baseball and Boxing I'm going to hate them too. I'm really confused on if people actually like Wii Sports Club or not. I think the controls, except for Bowling, were terrible.

Drobotic

Drobotic said:

They should've added more mini-games like in Sports Resort.Or just do a sequel to that.The island would look beautiful with the new graphics.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

I've been waiting for these as well. Golf is the only one that had no appeal so I was glad for the piecemeal offering. I hope this doesn't mean that's it for Sports Club as I was hoping to see Sports Resorts games make an appearance too - all the Nintendo sports games under one roof!

brewsky

brewsky said:

I'm presuming that Boxing is the reason that this is rated E10+, but that's still asinine.

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

Sweet. I'd rather have a retail copy of all the games, so I'll definately pick this one up at some point.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

I don't think I'll be able to hold out for the retail copy, though that's an attractive box, gotta say. This will give me a reason to return to the Tennis courts and finally get that elusive 10* rating... so close!

bistricky

bistricky said:

When available I buy the retail copy .... great cover art .... yes, I would buy it day one.

iphys

iphys said:

So mad I already bought Tennis, as I would have preferred the retail version. Guess I'll just get Boxing unless they offer us an equal deal like buy 4 get 1 free on the eShop.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Ryno - Can you pick u some Carl's Jr. for Reggie and make sure he gets to E3 on time? At the rate he's been going lately he'll be a day or 2 late for sure. :-)

gamerphil07

gamerphil07 said:

It would be cool if all of the sports could be used with the gamepad. Or just release a new Mario Tennis, that would be cool too.

DBPirate

DBPirate said:

Great news! I've been waiting for this to be released...don't feel like paying $10 or so for every sport. Also, I noticed it's E10+ and not E like the original. I wonder why. Maybe boxing is more graphic now?

KillScottKill

KillScottKill said:

So glad I hadn't bought any of these yet after demoing. It'll probably come down from $39.99 too, or at least be apart of occasional sales. Count me in.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! YES!!! Friggin YES!

$40 is a good price, which means $31.99 through Best Buy GCU. Excuse me while I go pre order...

CliveWinston

CliveWinston said:

the golf is absolutely amazing, the only ones who don't seem to like it are the people who don't take the time to get the hang of it... it takes a minute to get a feel for the controls, but once you do it becomes extremely addictive...

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

And to not screw over the players who have purchased the first three titles digitally SOME kind of discount on the final two would be swell.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Ryno - Just for you :-)

Today's Target Wii/Wii U allotment:

2 Wii Mini MKWii bundles on the top shelf
3 Wii U NSMBU bundles under those on the bottom shelf
2 Wii U MK8 bundles prominently displayed on the main aisle w/ the $329 price underneath

Best Nintendo related part of the trip - new 3DS $5 GC pre-order cards for SSB w/ the "Summer 2014" listing on display w/ a picture of the characters. The old cards said "2014" and were boring white.

Sorry no photo of the new ones, Google came up empty, but they really stood out among all the dark green Xbox cards.

theBluntKnight

theBluntKnight said:

time for wii sports to show the world that it's more than just a pack in game. This game has got me thinking about buying wiiU remotes