North American Club Nintendo Update Closes Down Physical Rewards Until May

Posted by Tim Latshaw

More game downloads added in the interim

Club Nintendo patrons in North America who were saving up their coins for some tangible Nintendo memorabilia will apparently have to wait a while before doing so as the program undergoes a system update.

Visitors to the Club Nintendo rewards page will be met with the following message:

Orders for physical rewards are currently closed while we update our systems. But there's good news: We'll be accepting orders again starting May 13. We've also got great digital games that you can download instantly, so check 'em out.

More than the usual quartet of monthly downloads are currently available, likely to make up for the lack of other selections. The lineup consists of:

Hopefully the inconvenience means some new physical rewards will become available once the selection is restored. At least one wanted item comes to mind.

Will you be picking up any of the current available downloads, or will you be banking on merchandise once it returns?

[via club.nintendo.com]

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Mmm...yes, I would definitely like that Super Mario 3D World soundtrack, but it'll probably cost tons of coins.

I sure wish F-Zero X were available to play on the Wii U VC instead of just the Wii VC.

MrCanzine

MrCanzine said:

Really hate that they're mostly Wii and not Wii U, and that they require the classic controller add on.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I guess it is my chance to get F Zero X.

But then again, you make a good point about new physical rewards. I was personally thinking more on the Golden Nunchuck, yet the soundtrack is nice enough.

rjejr

rjejr said:

We have Grill-Off from long long ago. Don't think we've played it since. Probably deleted it to make space.

millarrp

millarrp said:

Too bad I have all of the ones I was interested in. Oh well more coins for the physical rewards later.

WiiULoveSquid

WiiULoveSquid said:

Get rid of that grill off game it makes the page look so run down. If Nintendo was really doomed its items like grill off ultra hand I'd expect to see lingering on the webpages

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

I have all the ones I'm interested in, though it's cool of them to add more games to the digital lineup until physical items come back. In the mean time I need more coins.

faint

faint said:

picked up fzero. i probably will forget i have it untill they launch the n64 virtual console just like all the other n64 vc i've been snaging from club nintendo for the past year.

kereke12

kereke12 said:

Hmm this is good news indeed. Im going to go check it out. Finally Nintendo your doing something right.

DualWielding

DualWielding said:

I'm ok with they going all digital for rewards but the rewards could be a bit better, nobody is expecting retail titles but we should get 3DsWare instead of DSiWare and Wii U VC instead of WII VC...... also they could have one big game worth 500 coins or something for people to have an incentive to spend money to get coins.....

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

By the way, has anyone downloaded that Grill-Off with Ultra Hand? Only asking because it seems... interesting, but not something I would play constantly. But, it's only 80 coins and something tells me I should spend the last of my coins before I get the inevitable "your coins are about to expire" message.

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

Ugh, really? I have the ones on this list I care for. Would have liked Super Mario RPG since I kept missing it when it was a reward.

eleccross

eleccross said:

I really don't care for any of the rewards right now (seeing as they're all either wii or dsi). But I'd love more physicals.

NavySpheal

NavySpheal said:

@TreesenHauser I have it, and its a good little minigame. It has the depth of your average 99 cent mobile game, but its a little addicting. I'd say its not a bad deal. Make sure you have a nunchuck and Wii Remote, though.

2Sang

2Sang said:

Not a big deal, especially if they come back with a new reward or 2.

C-Threep

C-Threep said:

Too bad I already decided not to get balloon fight when they offered it a few months ago...

River3636

River3636 said:

Really I have about 1500 points and I still haven't gotten to using them yet. I either have all those games or I don't want them. The only thing that I ever wanted was that XL 3DS Holder, but never got it cuz it sold out. The last thing I got was a gray Mario shirt with all the little pixels on it. And there's not really any Wii U virtual counsel game to get on that either. Ohh mario world I have it. How about Nintendo make those points like the digital deluxe rewards at least I'll use that.

Maelstrom

Maelstrom said:

I guessed something like this would happen. There has been less and less physical rewards, so I figured there would be an update int the future

River3636

River3636 said:

And that stupid grill off game has been there for centuries, I don't want that junk. Nintendo doesn't have to give a 3-D world or anything like that just give us something decent and for Pete's sake no more Wii games.

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

I'm not sure about F-Zero X and Balloon Fight, but I'm pretty that all of the others have already been offered on the Eshop within the past six months and I have denied them all. (except for Ultra Hand, of course)

I would defiantly get Balloon Fight, Super Mario World, Mario Golf 64, AND F-Zero X if they were on the 3DS VC...

HyperSonicEXE

HyperSonicEXE said:

Hmm, F-Zero X is tempting, but I have F-Zero GX, and May 13 may herald those trophies, or something equally neat, and I'm gonna need all the points that I've got.

Crimzonlogic

Crimzonlogic said:

Hopefully they add some neat stuff that I actually want. The only thing I have really wanted from the site was last year's Majora's Mask soundtrack, which was a platinum reward.

Maybe off topic, but isn't the Wii online service shutting down soon? So then will they stop offering Wii games and start offering WiiU versions instead?

PS4

PS4 said:

@Crimzonlogic only for online play, feel free to DL all the Wii games/DLC's you want though... (not that theres much to DL anyways!)

Sam_Loser2

Sam_Loser2 said:

I prefer the games to the physical rewards. However none of these really catch my attention, save for Mario World which was part of the standard monthly selection.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Hopefully they're adding some new stuff. However, this is the current Nintendo we're talking about, so no chance :(
Personally I'll never use my coins for digital copies of games unless they're Club Nintendo exclusives.

bouncer0304

bouncer0304 said:

Sounds interesting and i'm sure you guys will get some amazing stuff. Us Brits have had the same stuff for years- who still uses DSI points?! I wish we could get downloads over here as that would be a better use for my stars. I did recently get the 3d world soundtrack which is awesome and cost 3000 stars so not sure how that translates into coins. I'm hoping the UK store gets a makeover too- i'd love to see soundtracks of games added but it's taken Nintendo this long to add a second soundtrack cd so doubt that will happen any time soon!

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

I wonder if they're just moving stock somewhere or are taking an audit as site maintenance should also take down the digital rewards.

I also wonder if the bigger digital line up will mean no update at the start of the month.

@bouncer0304 Reminds me that the last time the Nintendo Europe went under maintenance (or at least the club nintendo side) they removed surveys for DSiWare and WiiWare (they said they would come back so I did not do mine, 2 years on and I'm still waiting, good thing I don't need the stars) to bring in eShop surveys. I find it odd the points did not vanish then.

MoonKnight7

MoonKnight7 said:

I really hope they add in new items when it updates, some of those things have been on there forever.

Mrclaycoat

Mrclaycoat said:

I actually got a message from club nintendo yesterday confirming an order that I never made. Maybe that error was linked to this update. Anyone else get a message yesterday?

dkxcalibur

dkxcalibur said:

I was about to buy two Luigi 3DS cases....oh well. Hopefully when they get done with whatever they're doing, there will be some new items. I'm not into the soundtracks, baskets, magnets, or posters so I'm hoping for more useful practical items such as cases, controllers, or bases. The only digital game I'm interested in is Super Mario World but I already have it on the Wii VC.

absuplendous

absuplendous said:

I might take this as bad news if there was anything in the rewards page I'd wanted. While I'll take this as a sign that the reward assortment may be refreshed, I've learned time and time again not to get my hopes up regarding their desirability!

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

You know if every time their site offers a new reward is considered major news, they're doing something wrong. It should be a common occurence.

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

So tempted to get F-Zero X but somehow I have the feeling I should save my coins for May.

Mrclaycoat

Mrclaycoat said:

Well the last thing I ordered was the Yoshi shirt size large and they sent me a size small. Maybe it'll be the proper size lol

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

I´m from Mexico and here we don´t have this service (only mexican magazine Club Nintendo, hehe). So I put USA data to get my account. I only download games because I can´t ask for physical rewards so I´m happy there are more options to dowload (but each time more and more expensive they are).

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

Well, F-Zero X, I guess. Been playing GX recently enough that - hey, why not?

Bakajin

Bakajin said:

Grr blargle frimmer frammer . . . I just downloaded Kirby's Pinball Land last week. I could use those dollars back. . . .

biglittlejake

biglittlejake said:

The only one that interests me I already have and it is Super Mario World. Hopefully next month will have better games.

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

I was excited, and then a little disappointed. Nice to see new games but none of them (that I don't already own) seem very appealing.

Oh well, May 11th is my birthday and the list will change yet again.

darklinkinfinite

darklinkinfinite said:

if they want to keep giving away physical items then they really need to step things up. Most of the physical items have been there for years and are mostly things people probably don't want to spend coins on (folders and washcloths?). Anything good that pops up is usually sold out in a few hours, if that.

chiefeagle02

chiefeagle02 said:

I think I'd like to get Super Mario World, but I don't have a Wii U, so does anyone know if Club Nintendo download tickets expire (I do want to eventually get a Wii U)?