Nintendo Registers An Intriguing S.T.E.A.M Trademark For A New Game

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Full title "Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. Strike Team Eliminating the Alien Menace"

Trademark filings can mean a great deal or nothing at all, but at the very least indicate ideas that are rattling around or projects that could come to pass. That's why it's intriguing when Nintendo files records for new games, especially with names as interesting as this one.

Filed on 2nd April by Nintendo of America with the U.S. patent office, we have Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. Strike Team Eliminating the Alien Menace. That suggests a new IP, of course, something very much in demand from Nintendo as a significant number of its upcoming releases — unsurprisingly — utilise popular franchises.

What could it be? If we may be so bold we hope it's a fantastical, cartoony FPS (first-person shooter), simply to shake things up. If it was on Wii U it could combine first person action with strategic, tactical controls on the GamePad screen, utilising techniques seen in titles such as ZombiU's multiplayer and in Pikmin 3. That's one thought, but on the flipside this could be a download-only release for either platform — Nintendo has come up with new IPs in multiple download-only releases in recent years.

We shall find out in good time. What would you like this mystery game to be?

[via gematsu.com, tmdn.org]

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

Reminds me of Project H.A.M.M.E.R. Nice to see a new trademark. Could possibly be a eShop title I guess.

Nik-Davies

Nik-Davies said:

I'm hoping it's a new full retail game IP thingy. Not just an eShop game. But it's likely to be the latter.

Lycidas

Lycidas said:

Where did non specific action figure disappear to? still crossing my fingers to see that fellow again in a game. Maybe this will be it?

Peach64

Peach64 said:

Can't wait to hear more about this. I hope it's now some bit-sized eShop only thing.

tom_q

tom_q said:

I don't like that acronym I think it could lead to confusion. "Do you Have S.T.E.A.M?" "Yes I just used it to download Papers Please"

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

A cartoony Nintendo FPS would be sick, but I always thought they'd go down the route of Mario Paintball for that.
Probably some space beat em up.

the_truth

the_truth said:

I'm guessing some sort of Valve will be used to regulate the pressure of this Steam?

element187

element187 said:

Wow, could this be the infamous Myamoto's latest project? Rumor was he was working on a FPS.

MussakkuLaden

MussakkuLaden said:

Considering that the title is rather stupid by any standards, I guess it may be some smaller eShop title by some small developer, and not a big, new IP.

Ninhau

Ninhau said:

Name reminds me of S.T.A.L.K.E.R on the PC... what an amazing & unique game that is. One of the best i've played ever

wombatkidd

wombatkidd said:

@Beta that's exactly what I thought when I read it the first time. Something with a name that wacky would fit right in to the world of wonderful 101.

Beta

Beta said:

@wombatkidd IKR? 8D I would buy it in a heartbeat! Just hope Wonder Red, Wonder White and Wonder Blue are still there if it is a sequel.

OmegaStar

OmegaStar said:

Sounds like a fairly mature game. It's on us, Xbots! hardcore gamers flock over Y'know, you guys should stay here for a while! holds up Wii U

luigifan2000

luigifan2000 said:

im pretty sure there is a trailer on the eshop for a a twin stick shoot-em up called s.t.e.a.m.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Definitely reminds me of The Wonderful 101. I hope it's not a FPS, but rather some sort of epic, galaxy-spanning RPG. If it's not merely an e-Shop title, that is.

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

I'm in the crowd that wants a cartoony FPS.

I also hope this is a retail Wii U title. With online multiplayer.

Eh. As long as it's fun, it can be whatever it wants.

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

I dont care what genre it is, i'd just like for it to be a big, new retail IP that actually makes use of the GamePad for once. If its a FPS, RTS, Shmup, or Point and Click Adventure game, i dont care. I just want it to be awesome.

SpindaMaster

SpindaMaster said:

The name kind of reminds me of The Wonderful 101. Maybe we're finally getting Wonder Blue's own game!

vamkar

vamkar said:

New Metroid, New Earthbound, The wonderful 102, new star fox, Retros new game, Miyamotos new IP.

uhhhhhhhh

uhhhhhhhh said:

hopefully it utilizes the gamepad & gameplay features like in Metroid Blast from Nintendoland, except in a 'fully-realized' sort of way :)

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

Pretty clunky name, and confusing with the popularity of Steam as a platform... but there's plenty of great games with silly titles, so exciting either way!

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

But...but...but we already have a "Strike Team Eliminating the Alien Menace." It's a one woman team: Samus Aran. She even does FPS games too! :-)

MEGAMAN_D

MEGAMAN_D said:

Cartoony FPS vote right here, just because we know how good Miyamoto and Co would make it.

Probably just an eshop game though, with an 8-bit vibe like all the rest

TurretGunZ

TurretGunZ said:

Am I seriously the only one thinking Metroid? Aliens, Space, Exterminate, Shooting. All Metroid!

Wolf_Link

Wolf_Link said:

Fps coming to other console but wii u:"Meh, another generic Fps "
A filled trademark from Nintendo :" please! Be a Fps! " cmon guys that's lame. Besides, what would suggest the kind of game just from that name? Could be a Fps or a card game. It may be a codename for the next star fox, who knows. By now it means nothing.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

I like to think the comparison to Valve's Steam is purposeful, and their super-low-price sales are the "alien menace," and this is about destroying them with an amazing, full-price experience.

But it's probably a Mario's On the Move kind of puzzle thing in space with gravity developed by NST. And by "probably" I mean "probably not." But that's my guess based on this slimmest of evidence.

havokpants

havokpants said:

what im thinking nintendo trademarked this so it would be on websites like this and it would be what most people hopes it will be (i.e cartoonish fps , call of mario ,team mario 2 or titanmario)

SamirMalik

SamirMalik said:

@Wolf_Link The majority of FPS games are by the west, not the east (or Japan to be accurate) The last shooter Nintendo released was the unique Steel Diver 2 and before that was Kid Icarus 3 in 2012. Both were unique and interesting. If I recall correctly, Shigeru Miyamoto has said before that he wanted to make a FPS. Knowing how differently the majority of Japan makes shooters compared to the west (look up Capcom's Lost Planet 2 and Bionic Commando 2009) it should breath some life into the over used genre.

CosmoXY

CosmoXY said:

Guys, it's not a Metroid, Star Fox, Wolderful 101 or other established franchise sequel. If it was, that would, you know, be in the title of the game. So yep, new IP.

dkxcalibur

dkxcalibur said:

I was thinking something new from the Earthbound series. It sounds like a comical title even though it is just a trademark title.

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

When I see that title three games pop into my mind. 1, Alien Syndrome (original arcade version, not the recent remake.) 2, Zombies Ate my Neighbors (would be so awesome to see a modern version of this on Wii U) 3, Earth Defense Force. Based on these, I think it's going to be an action shooter either 3rd person behind or some sort of isometric shooter like Robotron or Smash TV. Or maybe it is an XCom killer. (he sniggers)

AkinaChan

AkinaChan said:

Please be a new IP! Preferably an Earthbound FPS.

Just Kidding ;p

but seriously, the name makes me think of something like that. Also, I wonder what will happen with that Pokken Fighters trademark...

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

I could actually see Nintendo making a cartoony shooter like Borderlands, with points popping up above enemies' heads and that sort of thing. That would fit their style especially if its closer to Kid Icarus or ZAMN graphically writing-wise.

HappyHappyist

HappyHappyist said:

FPS? no. cartoony FPS? yes. i wouldn't be surprised if the Metroid Prime team worked on this if it actually were an FPS.

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

Could be Miyamoto's new IP. There was a rumor of him wanting to make an FPS. Maybe this is it.

From the trademark I'm getting an Earthbound vibe. Itoi said there would be no more Earthbound games. He didn't say anything about making a spiritual successor.

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

Kid Icarus Uprising was a pretty unique TPS (land) and on-rails shooter (flying). In fact it was a major breath of fresh air among all of the usual games at the time.

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

woah a new IP even the name sounds awesome maybe its FPS that has aliens. Maybe its miyamoto IP i been hearing about if it is then its going to be amazing.

Austroid

Austroid said:

Sounds interesting. Hope its a full-fledged retail release, and not just an eShop one.

That'd be great if its a cartoony FPS; that's something you never really see.

Jeremyx7

Jeremyx7 said:

Hopefully it's a spiritual successor to Jet Force Gemini!!!!!!! O_O Ahh, I can only dream..... Q_Q

andreoni79

andreoni79 said:

Since Platinum Games is working with Nintendo, I hope it's a new Vanquish or a pseudo Metal Gear Rising...