New Instalment In The Popular Fatal Frame Franchise Coming To Wii U

Posted by Jake Shapiro

A match made in heaven...or hell!

A new entry in Tecmo Koei's Fatal Frame horror series is coming to Wii U with collaboration from Nintendo, Famitsu reports today. No release date or final title have been revealed, but this announcement alone is enough to send Fatal Frame fans into a tizzy.

The last entry in the series, Grasshopper Manufacture's Fatal Frame IV, was published by Nintendo for Wii in 2008 but never released outside Japan. A Japan-only announcement for this Wii U entry is not a good sign for its chances of a Western release, but with a huge gap in Wii U's M-rated library, Fatal Frame could be a huge asset to Nintendo worldwide.

Fatal Frame is based around photographing ghosts, so when the Wii U GamePad was first revealed, many fans immediately made the connection that Fatal Frame would be a perfect fit for the console. This concept was explored briefly in Shutter, one of Game & Wario's best mini-games, where players were tasked with taking pictures of neighbourhood ghosts who could only be seen through the camera lens on the GamePad.

Tecmo Koei will be producing a live-action film, novel, and comic to coincide with the new Fatal Frame title. Do you think the game will make it outside Japan this time? Let us know below.

Thanks to Ryan Millar for the tip.

[via gematsu.com]

Gunnerholic

Gunnerholic said:

A bit of positive news for once, Nintendo needs to make sure this gets a worldwide release though to show that the Wii U is a diverse machine.

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

I am honestly blown away by this news!! Hell yeah, now we're talking!! Not only is this a mature title for the console, but this could be the game which really shows off the potential of the gamepad. I'm stoked. I know I've been pretty hard towards Nintendo lately, but man, this is the moment where I pull out a spoon and eats my words. Well played Nintendo, you've just made another Wii U sale.

Emblem

Emblem said:

This will most definatley come to the west, I'll be picking it up as I can't see this not being excellent.

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

I don't know how well Project Zero titles sold on Nintendo systems outside of Japan, therefore can't tell how good for them appear to sell this worldwide, BUT Wii U definitely needs to have any possible good title on the shelves right now

If this turn out good then it could be worthy the risk of pushing a worldwide release :)

(But I admit it already, these games looks great, but I will NOT be a buyer, I'm the type that run away from the console at the first jump scare ^_^; )

heathenmagic

heathenmagic said:

This is the game I thought would be a perfect fit for Wii U.....and now it is announced. Good news hope it turns out good

Thestarskyeffec

Thestarskyeffec said:

As a big fan of the series I am so excited with the news of a new instalment. There is a good chance for a English release, Project Zero 2: Wii Edition was released in Europe in 2012, along with the spin off Spirit Camera. I really do hope that Nintendo put this out worldwide along with a WiiU remake of Fatal Frame 4.

ICHIkatakuri

ICHIkatakuri said:

Really hoping this uses the gamepad in some incredibly scary ways and gets a western release. Looking forward to hearing more on this game.

S-Miyahon

S-Miyahon said:

This is great news! Hopefully we'll get more info on this in E3 :D Hope that this game will make use of the gamepad

ChessboardMan

ChessboardMan said:

I say the best way to ensure a Western release, is to buy up the Fatal Frame/Project Zero II Wii version. It's almost out of stock at Amazon, Only 6 copies left! Well five, I brought one…

Azooooz

Azooooz said:

Aaaaaand...Nobody saw the Article title's typo.

Anyway, hope this gets localized.

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

Ahhh really hoping this will be a proper Fatal Frame 5 that also gets a global big release. This could however be also a FF3 HD remake for example, just like Wii got the remake of the second Fatal Frame. Anyways great news!

Such a huge shame that Fatal Frame 4 was never officially released in Europe or North America. The fan subtitled mod of it is excellent. I have loved it for years already since Nintendo didn't do the official release.

They should correct their mistake and actually produce a FF5 and also a HD remake of FF4 and release both globally since Wii U is region locked. Everyone needs to get to enjoy these amazing games.

Spirit Camera is kind of a Fatal Frame spin off right? The cartridge is really rare in Europe now, I wish Nintendo would put that game to the 3DS eShop.

Thestarskyeffec

Thestarskyeffec said:

@Kolzig yeah it's a spinoff. The idea of using augmented reality actually worked quite well despite it's high price tag. Using the motion controls to aim worked well and show what could be done with the WiiU game pad.

Rafie

Rafie said:

@Ichiban I have to agree here. I had Fatal Frame 1 and 2 on the PS2 and it was AWESOME! I have to challenge anyone to play that game by yourself at night...in the dark. It's crazy. LOL Even if this game was to come out on other platforms, I would think that the Wii U would be the best version to get it on.

The gamepad alone makes it worthwhile. I mean the possibilites with the camera on it is enough to excite anyone. As of lately, Team Koei has been localizing a lot of games. So I actually do have hope that it will see a western release.

ChessboardMan

ChessboardMan said:

@Kolzig I'm not sure that Spirit Camera on the eShop would work. Part of the gimmick was that the physical manual was used for that AR stuff, I think?

ToniK

ToniK said:

Best news in ages! Releasing this only in Japan would not make sense at all. The install base will be small even after the big games hit the country. So at least Europe should be included like last time but I sincerely hope you US guys will also get this. Great series.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

I'd been waiting to see if this was happening! Nintendo seem to have been forging a close relationship with this franchise recently, I think they knew the series would be a perfect fit for the Wii U while they were developing it.
Project Zero 2 on the Wii was fantastic, a current generation version of this franchise should be one of the most intense gaming experiences of all time! Nintendo's collaboration on this suggests they know how well this could sell the gamepad.

element187

element187 said:

I don't see how Nintendo could not pay for a western release.... The Wii U game library is pretty dire, especially from 3rd party's. They need every game they can get on Wii U in the west.

Something like Dragon Quest X I can understand not making a western release based strictly on cost of localizing a game with that much text/dialog would be pretty expensive.... But Fatal Frame couldn't be that bad and would help full out the library and make a great companion to Zombi U. The horror genre is terribly under utilized on all systems today.

DiscoGentleman

DiscoGentleman said:

Oh my godddddddd this is one of the things I've been looking forward to most for my Wii u! Hope it gets released in the states, but I will go to every length to play this game no matter what!

ThumperUK

ThumperUK said:

Bearing in mind Nintendo's marketing unexperts seem intent on the WiiU failing, I bet they don't bother releasing this outside Japan. If they do, then that would risk more WiiU's being sold which the marketing teams won't like at all!

SahashraLA

SahashraLA said:

I had to do a double take when I read this would be in collaboration with Nintendo.
It just doesn't seem like a game Nintendo would get involved with, no matter how much they would want it on their system.
It's also not a game that would be advertised, no matter what people think about Nintendo's marketing team (they're on TV, maybe the channels you're watching aren't considered their key market audience).
Silent Hill and Resident Evil rarely get advertisements (some of which can be attributed to their namesake) and the only 'horror' franchise which was heavily promoted was Dead Space 3. And let's face it, that's probably the least terrifying 'horror' game EA could have put out.

ejamer

ejamer said:

Very excited about this news, but nervous about whether NoA will even bother to release the game after skipping the Fatal Frame 2 remake on Wii.

Shambo

Shambo said:

Worldwide release! I won't even say 'please'. They just HAVE to. I love the games so far, some of the best survival horror game series EVER! And that's my favourite genre ever as well!

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

I'm not one to ever necessarily want "mature" games (in fact, that's my most loathed euphemism in the entire game industry; there's nothing mature, for example, about giant mechas and superheroes). That said, Nintendo really needs to branch out, and this seems to be a step in the right direction.

As much as Nintendo franchises are by and large my favorite, take a look at the SNES or the NES. Those were generation winners because they had a huge variety of games of all styles in addition to the Marios and Zeldas. If Nintendo wants to emulate that success again, we need the same variety.

So I say, bring it on. I may even give it a try if it gets good reviews.

Rect_Pola

Rect_Pola said:

NOA, why do we have go through this every generation? Wii U isn't exactly sitting pretty. At least with Wii, you could argue you had a "good for the family" image to quasi-uphold. What image was Wii U supposed to have? A gaming system refocused on "U" (the hardcore gamer/informed enthusiast; i.e. me)? Well, guess what? I want this game. I want you to stop balking left and right at well crafted games by companies that care.

MEGAMAN_D

MEGAMAN_D said:

Well project zero 2 wii edition did come out here in the UK, so it shows nintendo are open to the idea.

But this is great news though, this is what the Wii U needs, great games that you can only play on Nintendo's new console.

KingofSaiyans

KingofSaiyans said:

It is in Nintendo's best interest to release more games that showcase the Gamepad. Localizing this is a no brainer

AVahne

AVahne said:

It'll release in Europe, but not America I bet....
Ok know what? Let's get rid of Iwata and Reggie and have Shibata take the role of global president.

mch

mch said:

I am in!
Bring the spook to worldwide households Nintendo! Since this is an mature oriented title, they might not necessarily translate it in all thinkable languages. Japanese, English and maybe Spanish should financially work out, no? (Unsure about the (potential of the) chinese market, at this time)

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

If it's marketed right, this could actually sell pretty well in the West.
If.
So it won't.

Shy_Guy

Shy_Guy said:

I love Fatal Frame series,The second one is my favorite. This better come to the West,release this only in Japan wouldn't be a smart move.

andreoni79

andreoni79 said:

Oooooooooh yes, bring it to the West! I'm playing Project Zero 2 for the first time on my Wii U right now after finding the game on a € 10 bin! HD graphic and the best controller ever will make this game a beast!

Agent721

Agent721 said:

BRING IT WEST!!!! I've never played this, but the concept of using the gamepad as a camera to photograph ghosts sounds awesome!! The Wii U needs more adult games very badly.

Marshi

Marshi said:

Yes!yes! A thousand times yes! Ive been saying since the wiiu came out that it would be perfect for a survival horror game,and a fatal frame game especially. If this dosnt come to the west im guna make up some criminal charges against nintendo. Please please please nintendo!we NEED this game!

Now all we need is Shattered memories 2 and I may possibly explode with excitement!

kensredemption

kensredemption said:

I've been waiting for a new Fatal Frame installment FOREVER. Totally hyped up for this as much as Bayonetta 2!

Ricube

Ricube said:

I really loved Fatal Frame IV on Wii! This is maybe not going to sell a lot in western territories but it woul make a lot of fans happy. This should get a massive advertising because you hardly see scary games like those today...

CharlieLoneWolf

CharlieLoneWolf said:

This better come to the west (North America included, not just Europe.) I'd definitely buy this. Sounds like a hell of a game. I've never plaued a Fatal Frame title, and a Wii U Fatal Frame with the GamePad seems like it'd be the perfect introduction to the series.

EvisceratorX

EvisceratorX said:

I think this'll get brought west in some form. Think about it, Nintendo has been saying they want to bring out more games that showcase the gamepad and the eShop would offer a prolific, yet low-cost, marketplace to present it in. A digital release is a no brainer.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

This game better freaking come to NA this time. Also released the fourth entry as an HD remake and I'll buy that one too.

Theober555

Theober555 said:

Really hope this gets localised! Never played a Fatal Frame game before but I would definitely get this!

tanookisuit

tanookisuit said:

So is this going to be another case of getting the hopes up by the media to have Nintendo's chia pet in charge Reggie deny the release again?

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@tanookisuit

If you think Reggie makes the call as to what comes to NA, you're sadly mistaken. Localization decisions are made from the top. NA localizations aren't determined by NoA. EU localizations aren't determined by NoE. Kyoto decides what games will be brought where. They don't just tell their regional heads to localize whatever they want. They pay top dollar for market strategists to predict sales in various regions, and make decisions accordingly.

Gorlokk

Gorlokk said:

Nintendo really should release this one world wide. The Wii U NEEDS it. I've heard great things about the series, so I'll probably pick this one up if we ever get it.

AlbertoC

AlbertoC said:

I thought the Fatal Frame series was dead! Guess not! FF3 remake or FF5, either is good in my book!

Untitled

Diddy_kong

Diddy_kong said:

Not a fan of this series, but I still hope that it gets a Western release for the fans. I do think that this could be a perfect fit for the Wii U and the GamePad.

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

I love the Fatal Frame series, so this game definitely needs to leave Japan and come straight to my house! That screenshot looks awesome. I loved playing ZombiU, so getting another good survival horror game on this console will be awesome. Please make it happen Nintendo!

dyopri

dyopri said:

YES!!!! This is the kind of curve ball Nintendo need to keep throwing at us!

Cobra

Cobra said:

This is it! This is the reason I got a Wii U! Loved the the Project Zero 2 remake, a top 3 for the system. So when I saw the Wii U I knew I needed one, the control was made to be a camera obscura!

Henmii

Henmii said:

I won't insult the gameplay (I have never played it), but graphically I guess it will be a stinker!

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

Nintendo can't afford to be as complacent about big titles not coming over as it was in the Wii generation. We'll see it.