Famicom Remix 1 + 2 Coming to Retail in Japan

Posted by Tim Latshaw

A one-two nostalgic combo right in Japan's childhood

NES Remix was a pleasant surprise when suddenly announced for the Wii U eShop, and the appearance of its slightly more mature cousin NES Remix 2 is a good sign that this particular brand of retro carnival play is taking off.

It may come to the delight and/or great envy of others, then, that Japan will be seeing both titles, properly referred to as Famicom Remix 1 + 2, released on a physical disc right before Nes Remix 2 is set to hit digitally in the rest of the world. The announcement of the compilation was made during Japan's recent Nintendo Direct broadcast.

The box art alone is lovely, a red, white, and gold celebration of the system that started it all. There is no word on whether a similar retail release will be made overseas, and those without Kirby powers probably shouldn't hold their breaths over it, but you never know.

How interested would you be in a physical release of NES Remix 1 + 2, or do you think Nintendo should invest its resources elsewhere — say, into SNES Remix? Let us know below.

[via destructoid.com]

Related Games

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

If there is a disc version, I don't think I would get it as I got the first one,and I don't feel like double dipping. But it could be great for people in the fence because of the current account system.

Squashy

Squashy said:

Ahhhhhhhh that is loverly! I reeeaaaaallllllllyyy hope this comes out here too!!

(Yes I would be very much interested in this)

Jampie

Jampie said:

Oh man, I want it to release here as a physical copy, but at the same time I don't. :( Lol, I already have the first one downloaded, but I would totally double dip if it did... I love physical copies and the box art looks very nice.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

I hope they offer it as dlc for those that got the 1st so I don't have 20 windows of remix in 5 years

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

I really really REALLY hope this comes here!!!!!!!!!!!! Another retail title to add to my Wii U collection

PrincessSugoi

PrincessSugoi said:

This type of game just screams digital to me but a retail option would be nice for those that prefer it.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

I hope this gets an NA release. I'll always go physical over Digital.
WayForward was WayCool for unleashing a retail physical release for DuckTales Remastered, which i snatched up on day one. B-)

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

I'd get it simply for collection purposes just as I did with New Super Luigi U and DuckTales Remastered on physical disc.

SavoirFaire

SavoirFaire said:

If Nintendo had an account system less like they do now, this wouldn't even phase me. Knowing this is coming to Japan makes me want to hold out hope that it will come to the US, then I can pick up both versions (been working on clearing my backlog before I get the first). As it stands, Physical Copy >>>>> Digital Copy under Nintendo's current policies, at least in my book.

dadajo

dadajo said:

I would totally buy this if it was in America and was not to expensive compared to the digital release. ($30-$40?)

swordx

swordx said:

I knew this was gping to happen. When I registered it on Club Nintendo, it had the word download next to it and it asked why I chose the downloadable version, something it only does when there is a retail version.

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

I will absolutely buy this at retail if we get it, if it's the budget retail price of 30 or 40. Now I'm glad I haven't pulled the trigger on the first one yet.

yuwarite

yuwarite said:

I really love the GameCenter CX episode of Famicom Remix 1.

I could see this game selling pretty well in Japan, since there's still a lot of love for retro gaming over there.

tripunktoj

tripunktoj said:

Ive held off from buying Nintendo published eShop games, in the hope of getting it as a free club.nintendo reward later, or the less likely scenario to get them at retail.

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

Garrrghhh! I only just bought NES Remix yesterday. As nice as the artwork is though, I'm not sure if I would be willing to double dip (unless I happened to own two Wii U consoles).

@divinelite: The file size was about 430MB and it also included an update (I'm not sure what size the update was). So, with the two games combined, the disc should include no more than 1GB of data. Wii U discs have a maximum capacity of 25GB (the equivalent of a single-layer Blu-ray disc).

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

@divinelite : NES Remix includes activities based on 16 NES games whereas NES Remix 2 is currently known to include activities based on at least 12 NES games from later in the NES's lifespan.

NES Remix has over 200 activities as well as stamps and Miiverse integration. The amount of activities in NES Remix 2 is yet to be announced.

allduhype

allduhype said:

Now knowing there is a small chance of this coming to retail I will have to hold out on downloading.

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

Looks awesome. I don't want to buy retail games, but an all-in-1 disk compilation could really come in handy. Plus, that's a really good looking box.

I-U

I-U said:

The interest I had in getting NES Remix 2 off the eShop is pretty much gone. Why get just one when I know Nintendo would be capable of releasing both on one disc? I didn't dive into the first Remix, so a 2in1 disc would be ideal for me.

CrabGats

CrabGats said:

I guess I might just hold off on it. Hopefully it comes overseas, and I'll just wait to get it for cheap off of Amazon eventually.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

@FishieFish

The famicom to me has always looked like a missing piece from 'G1' Starscream's body. :p Thank She-ra they gave us the look that they did for the NES. I'd imagine the NA BoxArt looking a lot prettier, or more nostalgic if anything.

I'd love for them to release this, i hate buying Digital games. There's nothing better than having a physical copy, to store in your collection, to whip out and gazeupon the fabulous BoxArt while reminiscing about the good times. B-)

Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth & Mega Man 9 would of been great to have as retail phystical copies for the Wii.

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

It would be awesome to have but since I already have NES remix, I just have to wait for number 2. No point repurchasing them.

datamonkey

datamonkey said:

I wonder if Nintendo will be re-releasing these games all over again on their next home console?

This is why a unified account system would be good as the NES/SNES/N64 games we already bought on the Wii should be playable on the Wii U, 3DS and all other consoles Nintendo release.

These games are nice but I'm fed up of buying them over and over again.

RIC616

RIC616 said:

@datamonkey You can play all those games you downloaded for those systems (and any for the Wii) through the Wii menu on the Wii U.

datamonkey

datamonkey said:

@RIC616 - Yes but only if I still have the Wii to do a system transfer which I don't.

The games are not linked to my Nintendo ID in a way that I can re-download them to play natively on my Wii U which is what I think the ideal situation would be.

@FineLerv - That is true but atleast your PS3 games are linked to your account so you will be able to forever re-download them in the future to play on another PS3. Also many are cross-buy so you can download them and play for free on a Vita which is not the case with Wii U/3DS. Furthermore, all are playable on Vita from PS4 through remote play so it's a much better setup imo...

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

This is why I wait when it comes to Nintendo as I just get this feeling with some of their digital games that they will have physical releases (which I prefer) later on,hopefully the west will receive this as well.

ReigningSemtex

ReigningSemtex said:

I would love to buy a physical copy of this. I would always pick physical over digital because digital sucks

FX102A

FX102A said:

Japan gets too much nice stuff.

I would definitely buy this upon release, though it definitely should be a budget price total, £20 max.

Splatom

Splatom said:

@Neo-GeoFan Yeah, my retail Wii U collection needs to grow! I only have NSMBU, NSLU (retail), Sonic Lost World, Nintendoland and SM3DW!

turnmebackwards

turnmebackwards said:

I'd buy NES Remix if it came out on physical disc for around £20.00 as I'm yet to download them & not into downloading games.

Sinister

Sinister said:

Would love to buy those games on a disc. Please Nintendo get this out in Europe too.

ejamer

ejamer said:

I'd buy a disc over a digital license any day. I have no interest in downloading these games but if this compilation disc was released in North America it would convince me to buy the NES Remix titles.

(Exception: I did opt for the convenience of an always-available digital version of Animal Crossing New Leaf.)

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

Even though I own NES Remix, I would wait and buy this before getting NES Remix 2, if they would give us a heads up of it even being made for the USA.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

It really depends on the boxart. Should be a bit harder to make a good one with the NES on it.
If it's good and the game'd be 20 € i probably couldn't say no.

Luna-Harmony

Luna-Harmony said:

Very cool please Bring to the UK & EU for us people that like games on disc. Save some space on the small built in memory card.

Agent721

Agent721 said:

AGGGHH! Region lock strikes again. Man I hate that. Too bad that unlike back in the day, you simply can't buy an adapter!

Dauntless

Dauntless said:

When they announced the remix part 2 so soon I had a feeling it was 1 game split into 2 parts. Possible to make the digital price seem lower. Well since I haven't picked up the first one yet, I'll wait for the combo disc to make it over to NA.

Henmii

Henmii said:

If the price is right I may purchase this instead of the 2 downloads, if it hits Europe that is!