Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Reduced to $19.99 on Both Wii U and 3DS

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Hunt those downloads

With Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate confirmed to be on the way to the West in early 2015, Capcom seems keen to use the good news to shift more copies of the excellent Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on both Wii U and 3DS. European gamers can already look forward to some juicy discounts on both versions in this week's download update, but it seems that North American gamers will get an even better deal.

Capcom has confirmed that the title is now reduced to just $19.99USD on both the Wii U and 3DS eShop stores until 9am Pacific time on 3rd February. That means you don't have long to take the plunge, but these are the best MH3U prices seen on the download platform to date; it's a particularly tempting price for the Wii U version, which includes online co-op and the benefits of HD visuals and a slightly smoother framerate. Both versions are excellent, of course, for those not yet in the Wii U brigade but are tempted to take the plunge on 3DS.

With around a year (at least) before the new entry arrives on 3DS, this could be an ideal opportunity for those on the fence to dive into the series at a lower price. Who knows, it may just sink its teeth into you.

[via capcom-unity.com]

Related Games

Samurairu

Samurairu said:

This is tempting... there are virtually no copies in retail stores around here in Canada.

Ic3pick039

Ic3pick039 said:

This is very tempting, I was thinking about trying out xenoblade chronicles but... We will see

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@Samurairu The equivalent EU deals (linked in the article) are good, but not this good. $19.99 for the Wii U version is particularly generous, simply because that version has online and the 3DS doesn't.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

@ThomasBW84 The EU deals are pretty bad compared with these you would think Capcom would try to keep all prices similar between regions.

Phantom_R

Phantom_R said:

An irresistible deal for anyone with the slightest interest in Monster Hunter for Wii U. Though personally I'd put that $20 toward Rhythm Thief...

Olmectron

Olmectron said:

@ThomasBW84 After I saw the discount yesterday on my 3DS eShop, I didn't think they would discount the Wii U version too, since they did a permanent of that version just a week or two ago.

Capcom is being really generous with the online games. By the way, today there were also Warner Games discounts on both eShops. For example, Lego Marvel Super Heroes (the last game) is only $29.99 on 3DS, and Lego DC 2 (or something like that) is only $19.99 on Wii U.

Some good online discounts. If only Nintendo did this for 2 year old games at least...

EDIT: Grammar correction

Phantom_R

Phantom_R said:

@SteveSnowmn Rhythm Thief IS on the eShop now! Though as fabulous as these recent sales have been, a lot of the best games on sale are huge downloads--like Street Fighter a while back for just $5, but in like four gigabytes.

Olmectron

Olmectron said:

@Phantom_R Could you tell which Street Figher version was $5 please? If you're talking about Super Street Fighter IV for 3DS I will regret having gotten it for the whole $20... The lesser price I saw it was a 50% discount, which means $10.

Samurairu

Samurairu said:

@ThomasBW84 Thanks Thomas, after answering my question, I clicked on the links, saw the answer there and edited my post. Thank you for taking the time to explain, I'm not used to being spoon fed answers... long day, lol.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

@FishieFish
Wii U
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Capcom, €35.99 / £29.99 until 6th February, normally €59.99 / £49.99)
3DS
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Capcom, €26.99 / £23.99 until 6th February, normally €44.99 / £39.99)

Jayvir

Jayvir said:

Man, I already have MH3U on the Wii U, but wouldn't be apposed to getting it on 3DS as well. However, I can't spare the funds as I have a couple games coming out this month (Donkey Kong and Tales of Symphonia Chronicles)

Olmectron

Olmectron said:

@Nirvana Proximately, 6220 MB. I don't remember exactly, just bought it yesterday, I cannot check right now, but yes, it was near that.

NavySpheal

NavySpheal said:

@Phantom_R I agree! Underrated game. Most should go for the eShop version though, as the physical goes for $50-$60+ to buy. I got mine on clearance for about $10 about a year ago.

Jampie

Jampie said:

I've been wanting to get into Monster Hunter... and for this price, I'll definitely pick it up for the Wii U. :D Yay~

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

I would definitely download this if I had the time to play it, which I definitely dont.

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

Really hope Amazon price matches this deal. Not to keen on getting it digitally. I'll probably be getting the 3DS version either way, but then again a disc version of the Wii U one for $20 might be oh so sweet...........

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

I'd do it on 3DS if i had enough space on my SD card. I have about 5600 left, and it's 6200 or so. Oh well. I'll just wait for Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate next year i guess.

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

@Tasuki - 3DS is 14,273, I got it last time it was 20 on 3DS to download. Extra data for it takes 17 blocks. Total of 14,290.

Psyclone

Psyclone said:

I gave in to temptation and bought it..... looks like I will be busy playing this now and PSO2

UnknownNico

UnknownNico said:

Ugh. I could never (and still can't) get into this game. Maybe it's because I don't have a lot of time in my schedule. However, I do remember hunting online a couple of times, which was pretty fun. And by "Hunting", I mean cowering in fear while my buddies with the cool looking armor and weapons charge without hesitation into the battle, followed by a feeling of guilt. I never did go online again. Don't get this game unless you have a lot of time on your hands, because otherwise, you won't get very far.

Psyclone

Psyclone said:

@Tsuzura It would be amazing if they did.. I would honestly start over if they brought it to the Wii U... but if they do end up bringing it to the west for PC then ill just stick to the Japanese version, I have toooo much time put into that game lol...

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

I'll have to pass. Don't have much room left on my memory card and am already getting the SE of Bravely Default next month.

K-Gamer

K-Gamer said:

I never understood what's so great about this game, it's not that bad or anything, it's just that I don't know too much. Will watch gameplay footage.

Jayvir

Jayvir said:

@K-Gamer
Just watching a video doesn't do it justice. I never understood it, nor did I find it very interesting to watch. The game looks clunky and slow... mostly because it's INTENTIONALLY so. I found that out as soon as I played MH3U. It took a bit to understand it all, but after 2 or 3 big monsters, it all started to click and I really started to enjoy it. Granted, I'm only 10 hours in or so, but the principles are roughly the same. They don't want you blindly attacking, so they give most weapons a devastating windup and a long cool down afterwards to make sure you know when to strike and when to avoid. You need to play very carefully. A video doesn't show that all too well.

JQuest

JQuest said:

Is there any advantage to getting both versions? If I was to choose, I'd get the Wii U version, but I need to bolster my 3DS collection as well.

shigulicious

shigulicious said:

I picked up Monster Hunter again last week after around 6 months. This game will drain hours from your life if you get hooked.

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

Why are the discounts so much more bigger in USA than in Europe?

With the American prices it does sound tempting for Wii U, but not with the European prices. Typical ripping off the European customers once again.

ejamer

ejamer said:

Ugh... I don't like buying digital when an alternative exists, but the pricing is fantastic and I have to admit it would be nice to play some Monster Hunter again. The only thing holding me back is the need to buy more storage first - that might be a deal breaker though.

spyro202

spyro202 said:

I just can't decide wich version to buy... On one hand you have the HD, two stick control, no slow framerate(Wii U) but on the other side it has A HUGE plus... portability......... I owned monster hunter 3 on the wii(with the extra controller) I didn't quite got into it mainly because I don't really played online...............WICH ONE??? I know I will not really play online but my main problem are the controls........ but also portability....... arghhhhH!!!!

Mr_DSi

Mr_DSi said:

There are times when I regret not waiting for games to go down in price but I certainly don't regret picking this up at launch for full price. I'm nearing the 1000 hour mark and this game is one of my best gaming experiences. I recognize it's not for everyone but I highly recommend it.

Buduski

Buduski said:

@Ic3pick039, I bought a copy of xenoblade chronicles for christmas and so far all I can say is that the game is EPIC, but its definitely not a game for casuals. If you like Jrpgs like myself than you will definitely enjoy every aspect of this masterpiece.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@Jayvir
Your spot on, probably the best description I've heard. Unlike a lot of other games capcom wants it to feel like these really are giant beasts that'll tear you apart your fighting. Its like being helpless in a survival horror game, a lot like Resident Evil come to think of it.

@K-Gamer
These are long games, so if you decide to give it a try be prepared to give it some time to get good. Its kinda like an RPG in that way, lots of small, simple tasks to ease you into everything.

Sceptic

Sceptic said:

Ironically this discount is why I'm definitely going to pass on the European version until the price is at least roughly in the same ball park. If capcom values it at $20 on a discount why are they asking us for more than twice that on our 'discount' (250%!)? Because we're suckers I guess.

It helps of course that I'd only be buying to figure out what the hype is about. I hated the demo, but everybody keeps saying there's more. I'll pay anything under $30 to find out, but not $50.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

I really tried to give the demo a chance, but it didn't gell for me (and this is after I bought it on the Wii previously - I still have the postcards from the promo event in Glasgow) and there is a big time commitment required.

Having said that if they gave us and equivalent deal (£13.99?) or even just 1.5x the price at £19.99 it would be too cheap to pass up! I'm not dropping £30 for a game I might give another chance to, though. Rather buy myself Xenoblade again!

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I would need an HD for this, so I think I will pass.

And no interest in playing with only one stick and no online.

Still, kudos to Capcom, as it seems only them have periodical, big sales.

mowerdude

mowerdude said:

@Kolzig Why are the discounts so much more bigger in USA than in Europe?

It's about time that the USA gets a better deal than Europe. You guy's must not remember the Christmas Sales where Europe got all theses deals Rayman Legends - £16.79, ZombiU - £7.99, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - 30% off, Splinter Cell: Blacklist - 50% off, Resident Evil: Revelations HD - 50% off, While the USA just got a couple of indie game deals instead do you guys remember that.

GloryQuestor

GloryQuestor said:

I had played the 3DS version demo and liked it, but not enough to pay $40. Now that it's half off, I think I'll finally go get it. I like solo adventure games and I do know some friends that still have the 3DS game, so it works out on my end.

I think of it also as a good primer for when MH4U 3DS comes out, which will probably be more refined and (hopefully) more Metal Gear 3D-ish in its one-stick gameplay, or at least a better touchscreen camera control. >_>

alan45238

alan45238 said:

all ready have both, wife plays on the wii u and i'm on the 3ds. lost alot of weekend due to this. can't wait for mh4u

spyro202

spyro202 said:

After many though, I bought the 3DS version and the controls aren't that bad. But I still have until february 3rd to see if I also buy it on the wii u.

SubZer023

SubZer023 said:

OMG YESSSSS YESSSSS YESSSS!!!! I been waitin . For this day to come im going to get this on the 2nd when i get my 3ds back omg yeshh

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

Hmm I think I will download this and give my physical copy to my nephew who doesn't have an external drive. If my save file doesn't work with it no big deal I only had about 500 hours in. I haven't played in a while so starting over wouldn't be a bad thing.

Igmx

Igmx said:

Monster Hunter newcomer here.
I got the 3DS game and I'm loving it so far. The battles are strategic and fun, the collecting aspect is surprisingly addictive, the visual designs are great and the amount of content is just nuts (not to mention all the free DLC). No wonder I've seen people bragging about the hundreds of hours they put into this game...

I thought I would have trouble to control the camera with the lack of a Circle Pad Pro acc, but turns out the built-in controls work totally fine for me. You even get a customizable d-pad layout (size, position) on the bottom screen. It helps a lot, but most of the time the L trigger locking does the job anyway.

I'm only 12 hours in but I already see what the hype is all about. For those wondering, the demo doesn't do the game justice, simply because you're thrown into battles without any of the learning curve experience. That said, I do recommend the game, especially for half the price.

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

@Igmx
Yeah the demo didn't give any sense of what the real game was about. They would have been better off letting you do multiple hunts on a great jaggi to craft the gear.

Justaguest

Justaguest said:

if you dont get this I dont know whats wrong with you.. unless you already bought it like me :(

UpdateNightmare

UpdateNightmare said:

Couldn't get into the game either, but I had played DMC5 and Batman earlier.
Also I discovered Dark Souls, those games just did combat so much better.

Samurairu

Samurairu said:

I was going to buy this game and didn't after the horrible demo. Got it now and wow, it's awesome. I really enjoy the strong Japanese feel of it in the music and design.

JQuest

JQuest said:

@shigulicious thanks! I downloaded the Wii U Version last night. Funny thing happened though. I had to use my credit card to to add the 19.99 credit to buy the Wii U version. Bought it. Everything is cool. My eShop balance was zero. The next day when I fired up 3DS XL to buy that version, I saw that I had an eShop balance of 19.99! I don't know what happened, but I basically ended up getting both games for 20 bucks! 😊😊:-)

TonLoco

TonLoco said:

@GloryQuestor @GloryQuestor thanks I forgot I asked that question lol. I may consider downloading the wii u version and continuing my game. It really is a fun and challenging game and has a ton of repeatability with all the different weapon types. I use the longsword mostly but I heard it teaches bad battle habits. I might try switching it up and keep practicing to master a different weapon.

TonLoco

TonLoco said:

@Igmx I agree. Great game when you get into it. I bought the CPP just for this game and don't even use it anymore. You just got to give the digital d-pad a chance.