King Dedede to Wield the Mallet as the Latest Challenger in New Super Smash Bros.

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Plenty of screens to enjoy

King Dedede has been confirmed as a challenger in the new Super Smash Bros. titles on the Wii U and 3DS, the latest in a number of recent additions as the roster fills out. His appearance was always on the cards after his role in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, with his weight and ready-to-use weapon making him a useful character.

Kirby was confirmed in the initial lineup, of course, and with Kirby: Triple Deluxe hitting 3DS this year King Dedede always seemed to be a likely inclusion; the fact that he's an iconic villain in a franchise that Masahiro Sakurai helped create wouldn't have done any harm, either. We now have to wait to see if the rather useful — arguably too useful — Meta Knight joins in.

Above and below are all of the Smash Bros. screens of King Dedede released so far. Are you glad that he's been included once again?

[via smashbros.com]

Related Games

Nomad

Nomad said:

Weird? I was playing Brawl a couple of hours ago and thinking about what character would be revealed next. I think I might have convinced my xbox devoted friend to buy a Wii U after he saw how fun Smash Bros. is, and that was on a Wii.

the_beaver

the_beaver said:

I didn't like this character as much as Meta Knight did. I didn't even use him many times XD, I don't usually enjoy heavy characters...
It's good to see him back though, specially as an enemy.

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

Meh. I wanna more actual newcomers like Tails or that David Bowie looking baddie from Skyward Sword (I forget his name)

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Untitled
This certainly got me awake when I stayed up to see today's Pic of the Day. King Dedede is one of my Brawl mains, so of course I'm happy he's back. I saw his return coming from a mile away considering Kirby: Triple Deluxe is releasing tomorrow in Japan and Dedede plays a major role in the game, as well as Meta Knight not even being shown in that game though he more than likely is in it somewhere. At any rate, all of the signs pointed toward Dedede being revealed first, so Meta Knight will be shown later.

Man, Dedede looks better than ever if you ask me. He made some funny faces in Brawl, but he looks much more expressive in these new games. It makes me think that Wario and Diddy Kong, my other Brawl mains that haven't been confirmed yet, will have as Sakurai called it in his Pic of the Day, "evocative faces." Actually, Dedede in the new Smash Bros. reminds me of his appearance in Kirby Right Back At Ya with the smaller pupils.

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

Ohhh, I'm SOOOOO happy!!! I GOTTA text this to my friend (who's not as into video games to look up news but liked Brawl a lot) tomorrow. When we first played Brawl she said to me, "UGGH! I HATE Dedede's hammer!" Man, this is gonna 'make her day' for sure! Heh, heh. Yeah. ... K'bye.

SMW

SMW said:

I figured he'd return, but its still sweet to see some screens! I played as him all of the time.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@Ichiban @Silent

I think you mean Lord Ghirahim. Although I would not mind seeing Groose, even as an Assist Trophy.

Love his expressions and the two pics with the Trainer. Guess she wanted to get him fit, he got lazy as usual, and then she finally lost her temper.

Expa0

Expa0 said:

I'm okay with this, but I really hope they keep Kirby at 2 characters this time...

What I want to see is Ridley from Metroid, Aeron from Pandora's Tower or maybe Medusa or Hades from Kid Icarus Uprising.

PrincessEevee9

PrincessEevee9 said:

No doubt in my mind that the king would be back. Please let him be Southern King again please!! What are people complaining about this? He's an important character from a best-selling franchise who was supposed to be in since Melee.

Either be civil to your fellow users or don't comment. Okay? Okay. -Raylax

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

thats nice i guess never rly liked him wish they would show actually new characters that are going to be in the game :|

erv

erv said:

The hammer chicken. Now we need the captain and we'll be complete.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

That lay down move always made me and my friends laugh. Seems like the rate of the reveals is spending up a bit.

Ah, i get it now . Kirby triple deluxe comes out tomorrow. Among the next first party releases is the new donkey kong game in the middle of next month. It wouldnt be too far-fetched to expect a diddy kong reveal then.

KeithTheGeek

KeithTheGeek said:

Aw yes! Dedede is my main in Brawl, and he's always been my favorite Kirby character. I was expecting him to return but it's nice finally seeing him in these screen shots.

Danielp152

Danielp152 said:

Am i the only one bothered on how they rarely release 3ds screenshots? Theres like 9 wii u ones and 1 3ds screenshot. I get that the 3ds version is dumbed down in some ways, in particular the graphics, but i'd like to see more of how it will look on my handheld. The wii u one looks lovely, yes... But i think they should promote the 3ds version just a tad more than they are now.

Turbo857

Turbo857 said:

Kinda a no-brainer that King Dedede was returning. Now let's get some reveals people are really waiting for like Ike and Lil Mac finally!

michael148th

michael148th said:

February 13 is when DK tropical freeze comes out in Japan so guess we will see diddy kong then, Yoshi's New island comes March 14 so Yoshi then... Then idk about April

2Sang

2Sang said:

This is weird. Some of the shots have amazingly looking good graphics, and 2 of the pics in my opinion have brawl-level looking graphics.

SavoirFaire

SavoirFaire said:

Maybe it's just me, but Dedede was my go-to character.... For having a 2nd "player" I could practice on and beat the tar out of! I hate that stupid penguin!

pkee

pkee said:

Always happy to see a new character, the more the merrier. I see another newcomer being announced soon, and hopefully more screens of the 3DS edition. And Yoshi. Definitely Yoshi.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Waddle Dee Army music starts playing Seriously, sometimes I play as him just because of that. xD

MrMario02

MrMario02 said:

@Danielp152 It ticks me off that there aren't enough 3DS Screens. But I understand why. Smash bros. director Masahiro Sakurai hurt his arm and it's easier for him to do the Wii U version than the 3DS version. eh, beggars can't be choosers.

thesilverbrick

thesilverbrick said:

@Prof_Clayton You'd rather they dump old, iconic characters just to make room for new ones? I'd rather limit the number of new characters so that they can keep the old ones in there, as well. King Dedede has a unique play style, not to mention he's the second most iconic Kirby character. I can't think of a single newcomer that would be important enough to replace him.

thesilverbrick

thesilverbrick said:

@Expa0 That's ridiculous. Three Kirby characters is perfect, especially since Kirby is a Nintendo staple series now. Plus all three Kirby characters in Brawl play uniquely without any clones.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

Yay Dedede! He was great fun to play as in Brawl. Wonder if we will get a release date on Wednesday.

triforcepower73

triforcepower73 said:

I just wish they would announce all the characters that are making a return from Brawl all at the same time and then start announcing actual "newcomers."

ColdingLight

ColdingLight said:

Oh god... He's back?... It's like they're trying to remake Brawl with some additional new characters and not make it the broken game it once was... Is that a good idea?

Funny_Moblin

Funny_Moblin said:

Is it just me, or are his eyes (the blue part) smaller than in Brawl? Just an interesting detail I found. Now he looks just a little bit more vicious and less cute...and it makes sense since he's a villain!

ColdingLight

ColdingLight said:

The point I'm trying to make is I would want the same game but I want it to differentiate itself from it's predecessors.

Gioku

Gioku said:

King Dedede looks like such a fatdonkey, lol. :D

...had some new work to do over at the Kirby Wiki today! :3

ProfanePelican

ProfanePelican said:

I never play as him in Brawl or Project M, but man, King Dedede is bursting at the seams with character and charm--I'm glad he's being included in the roster again. Just look at the pose he strikes when holding down tilt! And how he slaps his belly... lol.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Man, who could have guessed, Dedede, a creation of Sakurai like Kirby, would still be in Smash Wii U?

Oh wait, everyone.

Dedede was essentially only relevant competitively because of his chain grabbing ability, I hope they make him a better rounded character.

Then again I hope Kirby is relevant competitively at all first.

RetroRider

RetroRider said:

So happy this morning when I found this out, and right before looking at Sakurai's post before miiverse this is the only thing I could guess would be the pic of the day.

Funniest pictures ever of DeDeDe, and what a fantastic week for news about smash bros.

JuanitoShet

JuanitoShet said:

I think I've only used King Dedede about twice in my entire life, but hey, I'd be more than willing to practice with him now that he's making a return.

Funny_Moblin

Funny_Moblin said:

it's always frustrating how King dedede never pulls out a house to run. It makes me really upset, almost made me cry one time.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Haha, he's such an oddball character! I love the one of him posing with the princesses.

And in the fourth screenshot, he looks like "Oh man you're really gonna get it."

BlatantlyHeroic

BlatantlyHeroic said:

I'm hoping that we start getting new characters soon. The game won't be worth the money if there's hardly anything new to it.

Henmii

Henmii said:

@BlatantlyHeroic,

I guess the new characters and other new stuff will be revealed at the tail-end! In fact, I am quite surprised that we already did see a few new ones like Megaman, villager and Wii fit trainer!

I guess we see the game late 2014 at the earliest, so we have a long way to go!

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

King Dedededededeeee!!! Awwwwwww, YEAH!! The King is back in his throne on the latest Smash Bros! I love it how they save the newcomers for the actual release... or at least I hope we have more newcomers. The ones whom I'm waiting for to come back are Diddy Kong, Yoshi, Ice Climbers, ROB, Ganondorf, Captian Falcon, Ness, Red, Game and Watch, and Jigglypuff. The rest could all be scrapped because they're either clones or unimportant characters. Garchomp would make the best Super Smash Bros. character, I could only imagine...

Mascarpino

Mascarpino said:

I guess I'm glad Dedede is back, he's a great Kirby villain.

I really want Ridley from Metroid announced though!!!

thesilverbrick

thesilverbrick said:

@Chriiis No, but when they're showing off the characters for the first time it makes sense to show HD images primarily instead of low-res ones that look inferior to Brawl.

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

@thesilverbrick I'm not saying they can't show off more of the HD images, but to leave like one 3DS shot in a sea of Wii U shots?

Pretty sad if you ask me.

Funny_Moblin

Funny_Moblin said:

@Chriiis Heheh...you think this is a joke? People without a Wii U try to tell themselves that the graphics are better on the 3DS, but don't worry man. I'm sure there is still plenty of time to get a Wii U before Smash Bros. comes out. Then you'll be able to judge screenshots normally.

Funny_Moblin

Funny_Moblin said:

@Chriiis Man...I knew it...you worship your 3DS so much that it has corrupted your thoughts...and now you completely lost it. Maybe you should give it a big break and see if logic returns.

Funny_Moblin

Funny_Moblin said:

@Chriiis hopefully you shall be healed friend, hopefully...the strong desire to have a Wii U when you had a 3DS made you hallucinate. It may take months, but you might be cured. Hopefully in time for Smash Bros.

Funny_Moblin

Funny_Moblin said:

@Chriiis YES. Finally. You finally appreciate the Wii U version, and thus you will now appreciate the Wii U screenshots much more. Seems like we've come full circle in good terms. Glad I could help!