Nintendo Download: 22nd August (Europe)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

A Wonderful download, Giana Sisters, Street Fighting and much more

It's Monday morning, but shake off those new week blues, Europeans, as the Nintendo Download update news is here. We have two major retail releases on Wii U, a new download-only game, retro goodies and a lot of new offerings on the 3DS, so let's get right to it.

Wii U eShop

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams (Black Forest Games, €14.99 / £12.99) — A title that was successfully crowdfunded last year, it's made its way to Wii U with an "Easy" mode and off-TV play included. This puzzle platformer continues the franchise that first began with The Great Giana Sisters in 1987 and continued with Giana Sisters DS; footage so far has shown an attractive game full of potentially clever and enjoyable mechanics, so we'll work on a review to figure out whether it's dreamy or a bit of a nightmare.

Wii U Virtual Console

The Wii U Virtual Console is offering up three versions of Street Fighter II this week, along with a special promotion. If you buy two of these games you get the third for free; offer is valid until 29th August.

Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers (Capcom, €7.99 / £5.49)

Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (Capcom, €7.99 / £5.49)

Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting (€7.99 / £5.49)

Wii U Retail Download

The Wonderful 101 (Nintendo, €49.99 / £39.99) — Unveiled with little fanfare during E3 2012, this action title from PlatinumGames makes you the leader of 100 superheroes as you try and save the world from invading aliens with a fondness for enormous mechs. It's chaotic, colourful and utterly off-the-wall, while throwing up plenty of challenge that insists on practice and — perhaps — dropping a difficulty level or two. We're big fans and gave it a strong recommendation in our The Wonderful 101 review. Available from 23rd August.

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist (Ubisoft, €69.99 / £55.99) — The latest entry in the long-running franchise, Sam Fisher makes his return to a Nintendo console with some Wii U GamePad-specific controls to try and enhance the experience. With single player, online co-op and multiplayer included there could be plenty on offer in this one, as Ubisoft aims to combine stealth and action to please gamers of various sensibilities. We'll sneak out a review as soon as we can, but until then you can learn more in our interview with the game's Producer, Liu Jun. Available from 25th August.

3DS eShop

Boulder Dash-XL 3D (Reef Entertainment, €4.99 / £4.49) — Originally released as a retail title in October 2012, this modern-day follow up to the classic '80s game delivers a lot of content, with five modes contributing over 150 new levels. Despite a simple premise this offers some enjoyable puzzling, and received a recommendation in our Boulder Dash-XL 3D review; it's certainly worth considering at its new low price on the eShop.

Cut the Rope (Zeptolab, €4.99 / £4.49) — This smartphone phenomenon previous made its way to DSiWare, but now steps up to Nintendo's current-gen portable system. This is likely to be packed full of clever, fun physics puzzles, but we'll see how this port cuts it in our upcoming review.

Funfair Party Games (Joindots, €14.99 / £13.49 until 5th September, then €19.99 / £17.99 ) — With 11 attractions and Mii support, this one joins the list of titles targeting the minigame market on the eShop, with both single and multiplayer included. It'll also include motion controls for some games, and we'll see whether its worth buying some tickets in our review.

Arc Style: Football 3D (Arc System Works, €4.99 / £4.49) — Released in North America as Arc Style: Soccer 3D, this allows you to create your own team from scratch before seeking glory. In our view the single player was disappointing, but it is fun when played with friends; check out our Arc Style: Football 3D review for full details.

Fish On 3D (Agetec, €8.99 / £8.09) — Fishing has always been a surprisingly persistent genre on Nintendo's download services, and Agetec weighs in with a release that aims to offer modes to satisfy both sim and action fishing fans. There's even some StreetPass functionality thrown in, so we'll dig out the waders and give this a go.

Carps & Dragons (Abylight, €4.99 / £4.49) — This certainly appears to have similarities with WiiWare title Fish'em All!, but perhaps with a slightly more fantastical approach; it does feature dragons, after all. This has the neat option of sending a demo to friends using Download Play, and we'll see whether this has the right hook in our upcoming review.

3DS Virtual Console

Solomon's Key (KOEI TECMO GAMES, €3.99 / £3.59) — This NES puzzle platformer makes its way to the 3DS VC after previous appearances on the Wii and Wii U. It's certainly challenging but also has a loyal set of fans, and we gave it a decent recommendation in our Wii U Virtual Console Solomon's Key review.

DSiWare

Quick Fill Q (Agetec, 200 Nintendo Points) — Originally released in North America in January 2012, this puzzle game has a simple premise and a budget price. Despite this it failed to charm us, and you can read why in our Quick Fill Q review.

Plenty to choose from this week, covering most tastes, budgets and platforms — only the Wii missed out. Let us know what you plan to download in the poll and comments below.

What are you most excited about downloading this week? (172 votes)

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams (Wii U eShop)

Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers (Wii U Virtual Console)

Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (Wii U Virtual Console)

Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting (Wii U Virtual Console)

All three Street Fighter II games (3 for 2 promotion)

The Wonderful 101 (Wii U retail download)

29%

Splinter Cell Blacklist (Wii U retail download)

Boulder Dash-XL 3D (3DS eShop)

Cut the Rope (3DS eShop)

Funfair Party Games (3DS eShop)

Arc Style: Football 3D (3DS eShop)

Fish On 3D (3DS eShop)

Carps & Dragons (3DS eShop)

Solomon's Key (3DS Virtual Console)

Quick Fill Q (DSiWare)

Nothing for me this week

30%

Please login to vote in this poll.

mrkuribo

mrkuribo said:

Good thing there's a promo for the Street Fighters. But I don't know if I really need three of them...what is the best version?

-KwB-

-KwB- said:

Sweeet !! W101 at 50 euro ? Man, gotta love Nintendo's pricing !! ^^

ScorpionMG

ScorpionMG said:

@-KwB- ikr? I think it's better like that, i don't like games that start 60-70 euros, i think its a bit too much for just a game. While nintendo keeps on pricing their games in a reasonable price :D

DrSlump

DrSlump said:

What!? 70€ for blacklist... really too high. I'll wait for a price drop.

Chris720

Chris720 said:

Interested in Cut the Rope and that's it. Not a bad week, options wise, but pretty meh...

-KwB-

-KwB- said:

@ScorpionMG Yes, 60 euros would be a NO, now that I know it's 10 euros cheaper, I'll get it ! Maybe that's what Nintendo is trying to pull :)

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

@mrkuribo: I'm a bit confused as well. Why would Capcom need to release three similar-looking Street Fighter games in a single week? To answer your question, I found The New Challengers to be great value-for-money, with more characters than the other two. :)

lbs

lbs said:

£56 / 70€ for Blacklst is madness! You can preorder the boxed copy for £36ish...
lol at the Street Fighter "special offer." Is it odd that they come out this week, so soon after saying Ultra SF4 won't be coming to Wii U?

f00had

f00had said:

Why haven't they got the online Street Fighter they released on Wii Virtual Console last year?

@mrkuribo Super Street Fighter 2 is the best version of the game because it has more characters and stages and the characters from previous versions have brand new moves.

DePapier

DePapier said:

TW101 is 50, Blacklist is 70. 6 months from now, TW101 40, Blacklist 30: and then, though not significant imo, there isn't local co-op (yet) on it. I can't buy your game on my platform Ubisoft, better be competitive.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I'm going to pick up W101 when I can & I was planning on downloading Splinter Cell: Blacklist but not anymore! ~$100 AUD is wayyyy too much for me. Also may pick up Giana Sisters on discount & may pick up Boulder Dash too one day. Lots of things to pick up this week! :O

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

Wonderful 101 for me this week.
Really appear to be the kind of game you never stop coming back for more, a perfect download-like title :)

Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh said:

I have Super Street Fighter II on Wii and I might eventually pick up Turbo on Wii U to see what I've been missing. Dunno why anyone would bother with the World Warrior though, it's slow and has less characters, maybe with the 3 for the price of 2 promotion.

CliffordB

CliffordB said:

SWEET FA as usual for me.

How much longer do we have to wait for something decent "GAMECUBE" on the VC? I still think the Wii U's VC is total c**p!

Otto-Soq

Otto-Soq said:

I already have ds Giana Sisters and the new one on one of my current gen consoles. Both great platform games. :)

Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh said:

@CliffordB GameCube on the VC? I would say you'll have to wait a very long time. At least N64 has been confirmed to be coming soon and I don't know why we haven't got any non-Nintendo consoles like Mega Drive or Turbografx already.

Wildfire

Wildfire said:

I'll be downloading the Giana sisters and grab all the street Fighters! Wonderfull 101 is a retail buy from me!

DePapier

DePapier said:

@CliffordB Says he with a Little Mac avatar, but then everyone has their own opinion I guess...

I'll get the 3 Street Fighter deal. With that and SFIV3D, that will make all the Street Fighter games ever released on Nintendo in my possession.

DBMONK

DBMONK said:

Splinter cell..... £56.....
are ubisoft taking the piss or what??
its £35 boxed in store.....

on the other hand, at least boulder dash will be here for 3ds this week, cant wait to get my retro on :)

Blue-Thunder

Blue-Thunder said:

The Wonderful 101 is cheaper in the UK than Europe because £39.99 is not equal to 49.99euro it's;
£39.99 = 46.87euro Euro gamers getting the short end of the stick again and where is the Wii U doing really bad?

CliffordB

CliffordB said:

@Samurai_Goroh Tell me about it, I just don't understand Nintendo's thinking half of the time, I've been a Nintendo fan since the days of the NES but they really frustrate me at times.

I'm convinced GameCube games on the VC would be so popular and sell by the bucket load for Nintendo, but instead of this they keep on releasing stuff that we've already seen on the Wii VC with the "odd" exception, so I just don't see the point.

IMO the Wii U VC is a total waste of space "in it's current form"

Cohort

Cohort said:

@mrkuribo Turbo and SSFII are both worth picking up but if i was pressed then i'd have to say SSFII. I'm not sure why they bothered with World Warrior though, as it's essentially the same game as Turbo but without all the extra characters and features.. I would have prefered to see Street Fighter Alpha 2 instead, the Super NES version was mightily impressive.

Marshi

Marshi said:

Ubisoft:You want to suport wiiu and ensure your products sell well on the system? Dont sell the digital non-refundable download of your games for £56 then! You doilums

Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh said:

@6ch6ris6 Oh, boy. I really wanted to give Ubisoft a helping hand as they've been supportive of Wii U, but that price is a commercial suicide. It will drop to €40 or less in a fortnight.

left4breadFTW

left4breadFTW said:

Splinter Cell is the same price on PSN aswell so its not nintendo setting the prices, greedy ubisoft is.

Ootfan98

Ootfan98 said:

I already have all Streetfighters on the Wii VC (they weren't all available at the same time), so with the reduced conversion price to Wii U VC, do I still get 3 for the price of 2 ?

Ubisoft do need to sort their pricing out. £56 for a digital download is a P*ss take !

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

I hope the US gets some NES VC on the 3DS this week. You guys in the EU have gotten 4 or 5 titles that we haven't even seen over here yet.

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

I don't have a Wii U (yet), so no W101 for me. And nothing else really interests me this week.

Mok

Mok said:

I had Solomon's Key for the NES, I am very VERY tempted to purchase it for my 3DS ...

RetrogamerFan

RetrogamerFan said:

Only game i'm definitely getting this week is Boulder Dash-XL 3D.
Still need to d/l W101 demo, as i'm undecided about that.
Solomon's Key is an excellent game, but i already have it on Wii U VC.
Not a big beat 'em-up fan so will be completely passing on SFII.
I will wait for a review of Great Giana Sisters. I find it odd thinking about playing a GGS game on a Nintendo machine, given the fate of the original game.

andrea987

andrea987 said:

101 (physical) for me, football 3d would have been my choice for 3ds if it had online. I'll keep an eye out for fish on 3d.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

I've been eagerly expecting Giana Sisters, but the price seems a little steep. I'll wait for the review before I take the plunge.

(It is coming to the Americas this week too, right?)

booker_steve

booker_steve said:

Oh nice, having owener Turbo and Super on the Wii, I might get them both again and pick up the original too. Not bad for £2.98.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

What happened to GB/GBC games Nintendo? Still waiting for plenty of those on the 3DS VC. We can get NES games anywhere. :/

speedyboris

speedyboris said:

@Samurai_Goroh Only reason I can think of is a few cosmetic differences. Ordinarily regular SFII wouldn't be worth it except for completists, but if you can get it for free, why not?

Windy

Windy said:

Cut the Rope 4.99! Another .99 cent game in the IOs market and android Market gets the Mark up in the 3DS Market. Hmmmm... Frustrating... Maybe the 3D is great

Platypus101

Platypus101 said:

Ouch! No love for the OG Street Fighter? That's cold. In any case the review on W101 was enough to make my decision for me. Thanks NL! :)

Shambo

Shambo said:

W101 and Splinter Cell are retail purchases for me. Street Fighter maybe, I'd want to play those again.

Platypus101

Platypus101 said:

@mrkuribo depends... Many folk will say Super Street Fighter 2: The New Challengers, (probably due to the increased roster), others would say SF2: Hyper Fighting (my friends love this version as it has "faster attacks"), Me, I cut my teeth playing the OG SF2 at my local (insert locale here, pizza joint, convenience store, arcade, etc, etc, etc...) Don't know which to go with? Take The New Challengers, it'll be fun ;)

FineLerv

FineLerv said:

Thanks for Street Fighter promo, Capcom!!! I want more of these deals (looks at Mega Man).

But, where is Chronicles of Mystara? T_T

element187

element187 said:

@lbs Maybe they are testing the waters to see how big of a Street Fighter audience is on the Wii U?... if it sells like poop, they confirmed they made the right decision... if the VC games sell gangbusters they might put one on. Start a Miiverse revolution and get everyone to purchase it by visiting every channel and asking people to pick it up? I dont know.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

I've got a physical copy of Wonderful 101 preordered, so won't be downloading that....will probably get Giana Sisters though as I'm only 20 points away from my next £5 E Shop Credit Wii U Premium Points code. As far as Street Fighter goes, it's a bit of a pointless offer as once you play Super Street Fighter 2, you'll likely never touch the other 2 versions again. :p

I'll take a look at Quick Fill Q as well, I've really liked the cheap Agetec downloads so far. :)

Ryno

Ryno said:

What, no Street Fighter II Alpha? To bad the newest edition of Street Fighter IV was not coming to the Wii U.

MAB

MAB said:

Unfortunately there is no Megadrive SFII Special Championship Edition... On the plus side I will get W101 & Blacklist ;)

The wait continues for those Megadrive 3D classics of awesomeness...

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

All three versions of SFII in one week is probably just to get them out of the way quickly. Otherwise it would be World Warriors one week, Turbo Hyper Fighting the second week and Super the third week. And nobody would want that.

Turbo Hyper Fighting is still good. Its the original SF2 gameplay in the final incarnation of its purest form. So its still the choice for SF2 purists, They started changing the gameplay for Super and onwards but only hardcore fans who've played them all for many hours would really notice.

I'd only recommend Super to casuals though. You don't really need all three versions, even with the promotion. And if you're already a fan of the series, you probably have a collection disc with the arcade versions on anyway.

Freakazoid

Freakazoid said:

Im totally hyped about W101 and maybe if i got some money and time left ill pick blacklist up later

Play-Doh_25

Play-Doh_25 said:

Most of the 3ds eshop games releasing this week dont have any pictures or trailers so its kinda hard to get hyped for them.

lebad

lebad said:

Cave story + for european 3DS eshop is not here :'( :'( :'(
Why, could NL get some information from Nicalis? (they did not want to answer me through mail, facebook or tweeter)

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

As for SF2, I've already got all the arcade editions via various Capcom collections over the years, but I did pick up SF2T on the Wii years back and will likely upgrade my copy.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

I voted for Boulder Dash XL, because a portable Boulder Dash with 3D effects for 5€ is always a bargain.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

Wonderful 101 for me this week, and I'll get Boulderdash with my £5 cashback :D

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

I'd get Solomon's Key if it came to the US, but not until the holidays. I still have a lot of catching up to do with the games already on the Eshop.

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

Street Fighter II is showing on the NA Wii U marketplace, and it is going to be real tempting to pick it up. However, i probably will be picking up New Super Luigi U Saturday on Disc.

Nico07

Nico07 said:

@Samurai_Goroh If you already have a Virtual Console title on your Wii you can always pay the small fee to upgrade. That is providing you migrated your settings to the Wii U. But yeah this Weeks VC releases almost doubled the VC library on Wii U.

SuperMalleo

SuperMalleo said:

facepalm I sense that the US are not getting anything good for the 3DS Virtual Console this week......

WaxxyOne

WaxxyOne said:

@Cohort Perhaps that's why they're doing the special?

Although the first game is not quite the same as Turbo. There are some attacks missing from certain characters (like Chun Li's fireball) and the balance is different. I prefer Turbo myself, but there might be some purists out there who crave the original.

ogo79

ogo79 said:

heh, the old wii u cant handle the power of the sega genesis version of street fighter!

Cohort

Cohort said:

@WaxxyOne Turbo is basically an expansion pack of Champion Edition, it was only released down to hacked arcade cabinets at the time (Black Belt Edition etc..)

It's pretty much the equivalent of releasing Sensible Soccer + Sensible Soccer 1.1 + Sensible World of Soccer. Don't know why they didn't go Turbo, SSFII, ALPHA 2? Would have offered a more comprehensive experience of the street fighter series on the Super NES..

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

The street fighter things is...weird. Except for people who want the whole line of games (maybe for comparison reasons or out of nostalgia) who is even considering buying anything else then hyper fighting ?
A better deal would be full price for the first, 50% for the second and 25% for the third and last, or even better: full price for the first, 1€ for everything after that, since its pretty much the same game.
But since we are talking about capcom here, its no wonder sigh
And i wont talk about the pricing for blacklist -.- Thats just rude.
Im not sure about giana sisters. It looks quite good, but im kinda fed up with sidescrollers at the moment.

Trikeboy

Trikeboy said:

Why would you need three street fighter games? Super Street Fighter 2 is the best version and the only one you need. Wonderful 101 will be downloaded with 30% off when it goes live.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

Funny, Blacklist is said to be available froim the 25th but its downloadable right now (22. Thursday) but W101, said to be released earlier on the 23. is not available...how unfair, the game i wanted gets released properly :P