Nintendo Download: 11th April 2013 (North America)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

A rolling ranger, brawling Gods, a pink ball's debut and more

It's Nintendo Download time, North America, and this week there's new content to choose from on Wii U, 3DS and DSi. In the coming week there'll be a couple of tasty retail downloads and a classic platformer that'll cost less than a chocolate bar, while today a rolling Ranger makes his return alongside some soccer and elemental brawling. Let's get to the details.

Wii U Virtual Console

Kirby's Adventure (Nintendo, $0.30) — The latest entry in the Famicon 30th Anniversary celebration on Wii U, Kirby's debut adventure will be available at this special price for one month from 17th April onwards. A platforming classic that's also had the 3D Classics treatment on 3DS, this in an enjoyable, creative game that's still a blast to play today. We'll give a fresh take on this when it lands on Wii U, but until then you can check out our Wii Virtual Console Kirby's Adventure review.

Wii U Retail Download

Injustice: Gods Among Us (Warner Bros. $59.99) — Available from 16th April, this is a rather promising fighting game based on the DC Universe of characters, which is sure to have fans of the franchise excited. It's also been developed by NetherRealm Studios, which did a terrific job of rebooting the Mortal Kombat series on rival systems. We'll be doing some sparring ahead of bringing you a review.

3DS eShop

Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger (Nintendo, $10.99) — Nintendo has wasted little time bringing this sequel to the 3DS eShop, following up on the original from just over a year ago. This new entry seems to continue the action tower-defence approach, with the addition of new recruitable allies and challenges to take on. We quite liked the original, despite a few issues, in our Dillon's Rolling Western review, and we'll let you know whether the armadillo survives this new shoot-out in our upcoming review.

Soccer Up 3D (EnjoyUp Games, $6.99) — A 3DS re-release of the WiiWare title of late 2011, this promises improvements over the original in terms of its physics and controls. There are some fun-sounding features such as the ability to create teams full of Mii characters, while there's the welcome option of full multiplayer with Download Play. We weren't fans of the original, but this is now a release of two halves; we'll kick off and shoot a review your way.

3DS Retail Download

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (Atlus, $TBC) — Arriving in North America for the first time on 16th April, this was originally released on the SEGA Saturn, was ported to the PlayStation and then arrived in this new form in Japan last year. It has additional demons and a new dungeon over the original, and is sure to be attractive to fans of the series and the first-person RPG genre. We'll be going on the quest to bring you a review.

DSiWare

Clash of Elementalists (Teyon, 500 Nintendo Points) — Teyon has been a well-known name on DSiWare, and returns with this fighting game that focuses on using special powers based on one of four elements. This includes four different modes (Training, Arcade, Free Battle and Versus) and Download Play for two players, while the developer promises "insane finishing moves". We'll get ready to rumble and bring you our review soon.

So, quite a few options to choose from this week. Let us know what you're planning to download first in our poll below, and also your overall fund-sapping plans for the whole week in the comments section.

What will you be downloading first this week? (333 votes)

Kirby's Adventure (Wii U Virtual Console)

53%

Injustice: Gods Among Us (Wii U retail download)

Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger (3DS eShop)

11%

Soccer Up 3D (3DS eShop)

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (3DS retail download)

Clash of Elementalists (DSiWare)

Nothing for me this week

25%

Please login to vote in this poll.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@KaiserGX We have someone working on it now, so hopefully not too long. Naturally, of course, he'll need good time to play through it thoroughly.

KaiserGX

KaiserGX said:

I'm still downloading the game day one, as soon as it's up but I am interested in what Nintendolife thinks.

CaPPa

CaPPa said:

I'm looking at perhaps getting Injustice for the Wii U and Soulhackers for the 3DS but I don't know if I'll go digital or just pick up the retail versions. I still need to play the PS3 demo of Injustice too and will wait for reviews until I fully commit to it.

Definitely will be downloading Kirby even though I already own it twice. 30 cents and offscreen play just can't be passed up.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Yes! Been waiting a while for a new Dillon's Rolling Western!

I wonder why they're in the habit of releasing the VC trial campaign games on days other than Thursday...

EvilLucario

EvilLucario said:

I'll pick up Kirby's Adventure, but that's it. It would make a great complement for my RuneScape sessions.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I won't be downloading anything this week but I am interested in the Dillon's Rolling Western The Last Ranger review.

Salnax

Salnax said:

Hopefully The Last Ranger can fix the problems people had with the original game. It could be one of the best games for the 3DS this year if things turn out right.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

How come the 360 got a demo for Injustice last week and we still dont have one on the Wii U. Honestly I would like a demo on the Wii U cause this is the version I will most likely get.

Also isn't the update coming for MHU for the Wii U this week as well?

KaiserGX

KaiserGX said:

NeatherRealmStudios is focusing more marketing on the 360 and PS3 versions at the moment.

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

Do u know anything about Lucas Arts and tha VC games? I already downloaded them to prevent their loss in VC.

MDee14

MDee14 said:

MH3U Update is April 15 5PM PDT which is April 16 2AM CEST. I'm waiting to see what the Wii U gets for Injustice. But pre ordered soul hackers and will enjoy my updated swap note

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

Isn't this something. The first nes I ever own personally that wasn't a handy down or used is getting a WiiU release on my birthday. Fyi I was 5 years old at the time and this was my most played game for the system. Fate or coincidence, still worth another play.

Also Dillon's Rolling Western when I complete at least 1 3ds game I already own

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

Well, I'll be saving a good 70 cents by getting Kirby's Adventure. Putting 30 of them towards Super Metroid next month.

Marks

Marks said:

I think I'll get Soul Hackers by retail, and I haven't finished the first Dillion... so nothing for me.

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

It's a shame they're not offering an Injustice demo for Wii U. I've been trying the demo on PS3 and it's amazing.

Aside from the 30-cent Kirby's Adventure download, nothing seems too appealing for me or my wallet right now.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

none of these for me this week. i'm debating on whether to download fire emblem awakening or Mystery Dungeon. I already have Fire Emblem but I want to trade it in towards a pink 3DS XL since I can't get the Pikachu one.

Wilford111

Wilford111 said:

Kirby's Adventure and Clash of Elementalists look interesting to me, though I'm going to wait for a review on the latter before I download.

cyphid

cyphid said:

I preordered a retail copy of Injustice for Wii u, not into paying full price for a digital version tied to only one Wii u.

idork99

idork99 said:

I read through most of the comments above and it's good to see that although there really isn't anything new this week, no one had nothing negative to say. This is great news because it's showing that there are a lot of good games out at the moment (at least in 3DS's case). I'm still playing Monster Hunter and I haven't touched Luigi's Mansion nor HarmoKnight. This is a good problem to have :)

AVahne

AVahne said:

Clash of Elementalists?
I gave up on the idea of that EVER being localized! BUYING NOW. Even if review scores are bad.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

Meh. I'm only geting Kirby. I've never played the Rolling Western games, and I'll wait to see more of Injustice. The demo was too much like Mortal Kombat, but they improved the mechanics quite a bit. I think DC characters will draw more people in than just fighting fans, though. Those games are fun, but I've come to like Tekken more. Maybe later.

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

Prof_Elvin_Gadd said:

Just a little pink puff Kirby action for me this time around, and that isn't even available until next Tuesday. I might pick up Dillon's Rolling Western 2 in the future on the cheap. Hopefully it goes on sale sometime. I never played the first one but wouldn't mind checking this newer one out eventually.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Aw... I would had bought Kirby's Adventure for 30 cents on Wii U had I haven't already got Kirby's Dream Collection.

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

I'll be getting a physical copy of Soul Hackers. I should have my pre-ordered copy by the 21st

AltDotNerd

AltDotNerd said:

Trust me, N-Life, Injustice is nothing short of AMAZING. I've played fighting games my entire life, and Injustice has the smoothest, most-balanced fighting style I've ever seen. You can link virtually any move together without relying on that pesky "move cancel" technique.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Clash of Elementalists....Do NOT get this. The controls are god-awful, especially the camera. Normally these types of games are supposed to have an auto-lock on to your enemy, but that doesn't exist here. Instead, you can only have a temporary lock-on that just turns your character in the direction of your opponent, sort of like MH3U but nowhere near as good since there's no other way to control the camera. Attack buttons are relegated to the shoulder buttons, which is a horrible choice for this type of game and A and B are almost useless.
I'll probably find a way to find enjoyment in this since I already bought it, but this was a disappointment. Gundam 00 for DS controlled far better than this.
The devs should be ashamed for making a near unplayable game.

AzureFashionist

AzureFashionist said:

@Koto Hmm... I am compelled to get this title too, doesn't seem too expensive. Also in regards to the control, ever play Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram? It's pretty much the same thing. lol

AVahne

AVahne said:

@HawtWingz
No, I haven't, but I've played several games using the same or similar combat systems. I was expecting this game to be the same, but it isn't exactly. Lock-on doesn't keep your enemy in sight at all times. And for whatever reason, it's triggered when you jump, which makes you a pretty easy target. You can press B to fall faster after jumping, or dash away, but you're either still a big target or you'll just lose the lock again. It'll also trigger if the opponent is in your line of sight, ie. right in front of you, but the camera won't follow your opponent at all unless you're attacking. Funny thing is the gameplay video makes it look very good, but it's actually pretty clunky for this type of game.

KoiTenchi

KoiTenchi said:

Curious about Rolling Western 2 but I'm going to wait for a review for now... I liked but didn't love the original. It was good, not great, IMO.

Any idea when there might be a review for that?

I'm also curious about Soul Hackers but if I buy that it'll be physical, not digital. DSO had been my first experience with a SMT game and I throughly enjoyed it, so I'm definitely willing to try another even though I know this isn't DIRECTLY related.

SMW

SMW said:

I thought for a second that Kirby released a week early. Just a tease. :(

Bragoon

Bragoon said:

I thought about pre-ordering Shin Megami Tensei for the CD, but I decided not to on account of the fact that SMT isn't really my favorite.
So since I already have Kirby on my 3DS, I'll just go with the Fire Emblem DLC this week. Limit Break, baby!

RR529

RR529 said:

Nothing for me this week. I might finally give Ikachan a DL, if I get the money this weekend.

Steveovig

Steveovig said:

Half of that stuff isn't even releasing today. Man, NOA and Reggie need to get off their butts and actually give us what we want...GAMES.

Metal_Slugger

Metal_Slugger said:

You got me again on the VC content!!!!! I went to download it tonight. LOL I should read it better. :)

gundam00

gundam00 said:

I actually just bought Planet Crashers in the 3DS eShop because it's on sale for $4.99. I wanted to buy the new Dillon's Wild West game, but I will wait for it to go on sale. Where is the consumer sense in pricing a game at $10.99? If it would've have been priced at $9.99, I would have been more inclined to an impulse buy. But paying over $10 for an eShop app game is cause for hesitation with me.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Just got Kirby's 20th anniversary on Wii not too long ago, so don't need Kirby again. I wonder if Clash of Elementalists will be any good. The concept at least sounds fun.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

I did the first raid on Dillon's Rolling Western The Last Ranger and here are the improvements I've seen so far.

-The graphics seem to be a little better. A bit sharper and more detailed. The frame rate on the plains is better than in the first one.
-The mayors and other characters are now given 3D models (in the first one they only had drawn models that appeared next to their dialogue boxes). Overall, the character models seem to have a little more life in them this time.
-After a raid, you can now walk around in the saloon and access the other features the saloon in the first one offered (dinner, quests, training). You can also visit Russ at a table and he'll show you a map of which routes the Grocks took so you can prepare better for the next day.
-A feature that I was always hoping the first one would have: you can leave the saloon after a raid and explore at night. That's right: night! No time limit. You could probably use this to plan out the next day a little more.
-Streetpass allows you to exchange battle plans with other users
-Remixed music that sounds a little better and more orchestrated now.
-Gives you a left hand or right hand option. Lefties move with the A, B, X, and Y buttons. However, a buttons only control scheme hasn't been added like I was hoping it would be.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

Got The Last Ranger and Kersploosh!. Gonna download Kirby when it's released, and eventually buy Injustice at retail.

Johansel

Johansel said:

Urgh... I really wish I could get my money back For the first Dillon Rolling Western, it was just sooo boring.

Ren

Ren said:

yeah, cause I wasn't at all tired of the old Mortal Kombat formula.

Windy

Windy said:

@Koto After seeing the video in the Eshop I was planning to get Clash of the Elementalists. It looked cool. Thanks for the heads up I will pass on it unless I hear better things from you.

I have 1 game this week im getting and that's ****Drum Roll Please****...........................Pandoras Tower! I pre-ordered at Amazon. Can't wait! I've been playing a ton of Last Story this week Going through the game for the 2nd time and playing online with Longtime Gamer from the Forums. Were planning a weekly Last Story fest on wednesday Nights(anyone is welcome). We already have a Friday Night get together for ATV wild Ride. What fun!

Unit_DTH

Unit_DTH said:

@Tasuki - Yes, The MH3U Wii U update goes live on the 16th, adding Off-Screen Play, and cross continent online play for EU and NA servers! Can't freakin' wait!!!

Unit_DTH

Unit_DTH said:

@gundam00 - The only problem with that mentality is that it causes huge financial strains on the devs of a game. The low cost of apps for Smart phones/tablets/iPods and the like has killed the consumer market and made all consumers think that games should be "super cheap" or FTP and that model kills the industry and kills devs desire to make new IPs and make full fledged AAA titles when a FTP title akin to it will be coming out 6 months after it's release. Seriously, 10.99 is not a bad price for a game that has as much content as this one does, the lowest it can be priced on the eSHop anyway is 1.99 which is still 1.00 higher than on the app store or other game sellers sites. We all need to be willing to actually pay for our entertainment and not complain about the price differing by 1$ or more! Sorry, I just had to get that out.

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

@undead_terror: I couldn't find it in stores. I grabbed the only copy that was on ebay. If you can find it, it retails for $19.99 + tax in the US. I believe you can find it at Best Buy. GameStop lists it only used for $14.99, but I have have yet to find a copy. I hope this game doesn't suck.

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

@undead_terror: I would. He's just a new seller. Give people the benefit of the doubt. Honest sellers have to start somewhere. It's also available on amazon for just under $20 shipped.